2012 Cursed Laker Season: Kobe, Gasol, Dwight, Nash, Peace
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: 2012 Cursed Laker Season: Kobe, Gasol, Dwight, Nash, Peace

That team of HOFs also started 8-9.

Result: 1st round playoff exit.

A roller coaster of a season. Anyone else have an eerily similar feeling that this 2021 team feels like that 2012 team?

Last edited by Nash Vegas on Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:03 pm; edited 4 times in total
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Most people knew that team was never winning anything-
-Kobe's season ending injury (no chance of being the same kobe)
-Dwight plagued with back problems (beginning of the end for prime dwight)
-Nash hurt and tail end of career (let's be real- he knew lakers were the last stop for him)
-Pau was fine, but head not into it (only one who was able to play at peak capacity).

Last edited by KindCrippler2000 on Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject:

That team caught fire the second half of the season and had a legitimate shot at the championship, I'd say they were the favorite in the West, until Kobe Bryant had a season ending injury.

If our path is similar it's not that bad as long as LBJ doesn't get hurt. But we are managing LBJ a hell of a lot better than Kobe

I'll say this, I have more faith in Kobe, and have always thought he was the better player. LBJ getting his fifth wont even change that in my mind. But LBJ is still a beast and the dude can take over and win if he needs to. He's trying to be a team player right now

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Most people knew that team was never winning anything-
-Kobe's season ending injury (no chance of being the same kobe)
-Dwight plagued with back problems (beginning of the end for prime dwight)
-Nash hurt and tail end of career (let's be real- he knew lakers were the last stop for him)
-Pau was fine, but head not into it (only one who was able to play at peak capacity).

Yeah, i was happy when we got Dwight, but i never had a feeling we are winning ever since James left Cleveland. That was never a championship team

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject:

They were 15 -21 had like a 2% chance of making the playoffs and finished 45–37.

That year every game in the second half felt do or die and Kobe kept hitting game winners.. If he doesn't get injured, I legitimately think he might have six rings right now.

I just don't understand the narrative that Lakers team sucked and we had no shot, cuz that's not what happened. No team wanted to face us in the playoffs. None

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject:

🥶 https://twitter.com/goldenknightgfx/status/1462148959409881091?s=21
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2012 Lakers: Kobe, Pau, Dwight, Nash

Nash Vegas wrote:
That team also started 8-9.

A roller coaster of a season. Anyone else have an eerily similar feeling that this 2021 team feels like that 2012 team?

The 2012 Lakers had some of the same issues: age, injuries, bad defense, lot of chaos.

That said, they were coming together by the end of the season, and they might have made a run if Kobe hadn't gotten hurt.

I do think their pieces fit together better than the current team.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Coaching issues also siimilar
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Let's be real- a 38 year old Nash isn't doing anything in the playoffs. His best days were clearly behind him and guys like Parker, Curry and Westbrook would have eaten him alive in the playoffs. Kobe would have to play 45-47 min a game just to keep them competitive, as was the case before his injury.

They also finished 20th in defensive efficiency, which indicates they did not have anything close to championship-tier defense (courtesy of Mike D'Antoni).
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
They were 15 -21 had like a 2% chance of making the playoffs and finished 45–37.

That year every game in the second half felt do or die and Kobe kept hitting game winners.. If he doesn't get injured, I legitimately think he might have six rings right now.

I just don't understand the narrative that Lakers team sucked and we had no shot, cuz that's not what happened. No team wanted to face us in the playoffs. None

No chance in hell the 2013 Lakers were beating the 66-win Heat that year. NONE. Those heat team with their speed and athleticism were the perfect foil for us and yes Kobe could get his, but you could see Wade was making him earn every point he scored on him and Wade always looked like he could score easier on the Lakers/Kobe than Kobe did on him. How? Screen roll and Wade was better than Kobe at taking the ball to the cup. Kobe was more skilled and thus could score on directly on top of Wade but Wade seemed like he was always getting the easier buckets which is evident by the difference for example, in their field goal percentages with Wade ~49-51% and Kobe at ~45-46%. Than on top of that peak Lebron and prime Bosh with a bevy of shooters who were decent (Miller and Allen)/great defenders (Battier) around them???? No chance in hell Lakers are beating the Heat.

Last edited by 1995Lakers on Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

No chance in hell the 2013 Lakers were beating the 66-win Heat that year. NONE. Those heat team with their speed and athleticism were the perfect foil for us and yes Kobe could get his, but you could see Wade was making him earn every point he scored on him and Wade always looked like he could score easier on the Lakers/Kobe than Kobe did on him. How? Screen roll and Wade was better than Kobe at taking the ball to the cup. Kobe was more skilled and thus could score on directly on top of Wade but Wade seemed like he was always getting the easier buckets which is evident by the difference for example, in their field goal percentages with Wade ~49-51% and Kobe at ~45-46%. Than on top of that Lebron and Bosh with a bevy of shooters around them???? No chance in hell Lakers are beating the Heat.

With a healthy Kobe and Nash, we would have lost to the Spurs in 6 games instead of 4.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

No chance in hell the 2013 Lakers were beating the 66-win Heat that year. NONE. Those heat team with their speed and athleticism were the perfect foil for us and yes Kobe could get his, but you could see Wade was making him earn every point he scored on him and Wade always looked like he could score easier on the Lakers/Kobe than Kobe did on him. How? Screen roll and Wade was better than Kobe at taking the ball to the cup. Kobe was more skilled and thus could score on directly on top of Wade but Wade seemed like he was always getting the easier buckets which is evident by the difference for example, in their field goal percentages with Wade ~49-51% and Kobe at ~45-46%. Than on top of that Lebron and Bosh with a bevy of shooters around them???? No chance in hell Lakers are beating the Heat.

With a healthy Kobe and Nash, we would have lost to the Spurs in 6 games instead of 4.

Believe it or not, I actually thought the Lakers matched up far better with the Spurs than against the Heat but yea losing in 6 to SAS seems like the likely scenario although to be perfectly frank, I would not have been surprised if they shocked the Spurs and stole that series. That being said, my original point still stands, there is 0% chance they were beating Miami that year
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:

No chance in hell the 2013 Lakers were beating the 66-win Heat that year. NONE. Those heat team with their speed and athleticism were the perfect foil for us and yes Kobe could get his, but you could see Wade was making him earn every point he scored on him and Wade always looked like he could score easier on the Lakers/Kobe than Kobe did on him. How? Screen roll and Wade was better than Kobe at taking the ball to the cup. Kobe was more skilled and thus could score on directly on top of Wade but Wade seemed like he was always getting the easier buckets which is evident by the difference for example, in their field goal percentages with Wade ~49-51% and Kobe at ~45-46%. Than on top of that peak Lebron and prime Bosh with a bevy of shooters who were decent (Miller and Allen)/great defenders (Battier) around them???? No chance in hell Lakers are beating the Heat.

D12 back in those days seem to have LBJ's number. Kobe in 2103 was looking like a man on a mission that no person was going to stop him from getting number six.

I always had faith that Kobe would pull in the clutch and win it and he just showed time and time again that was true I just bank on it that he would have done it again.

No x's and o's, no strategy just would have put my money on Kobe.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Well, I hope LBJ doesn't do what Kobe did that season, in respect to playing entire games without resting. That was just insane, and of course he blew out his Achilles tendon at the end.

All for an eighth spot.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2012 Lakers: Kobe, Pau, Dwight, Nash

activeverb wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
That team also started 8-9.

The 2012 Lakers had some of the same issues: age, injuries, bad defense, lot of chaos.

That said, they were coming together by the end of the season, and they might have made a run if Kobe hadn't gotten hurt.

I do think their pieces fit together better than the current team.

This off-season was like dejavú. In 2011, the lakers looked old and were run off the court by a younger team in OKC. Instead of going after players that complimented our star and getting younger, they went after a star name in Nash.

It ended Kobe’s career.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject:

That team actually was playing pretty well late in the season trying to bide time for Nash. But I mean they started off terribly. Hired D'Antoni mid-season, so he could coach duplicate what Nash did in Phoenix, not knowing that Nash was basically done at that point. He'd never recover from his injuries and stay healthy again.

That was the dagger to that team. That forced Kobe to go Rambo out there, Dwight was rushing back from back surgery and had a subpar year. Pau was already getting old and seemed to have lost some fire. Then when Kobe went down it was over for them. Nash tried to go in the playoffs but he was done. Pau couldn't step it up either. It all fell on Dwight who promptly got himself ejected from the close out game rather than deal with it.

Who knows how that would have played out if Lillard hadn't bumped Nash's leg? The team did have talent but they weren't an ideal fit. D'Antoni wanted to trade Pau, and if memory serves correctly they had an opportunity to trade him for a young Kyle Lowry and passed. The minute Dwight bolted to Houston that team was done. Though remembering back to the time there was still some hope that Nash could rehab over the summer and make a recovery. That Kobe would buck the odds and be back for the playoffs the next year, etc.

The equivalent to that would be if AD had a serious injury now, and then Lebron had a career ending injury. Those things can happen, but we aren't there yet.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 2012-2013 after 51 games = 24-27

Lakers this season after 51 games = 24-27

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Lakers 2012-2013 after 51 games = 24-27

Lakers this season after 51 games = 24-27

So were making the playoffs?….
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
That team actually was playing pretty well late in the season trying to bide time for Nash. But I mean they started off terribly. Hired D'Antoni mid-season, so he could coach duplicate what Nash did in Phoenix, not knowing that Nash was basically done at that point. He'd never recover from his injuries and stay healthy again.

That was the dagger to that team. That forced Kobe to go Rambo out there, Dwight was rushing back from back surgery and had a subpar year. Pau was already getting old and seemed to have lost some fire. Then when Kobe went down it was over for them. Nash tried to go in the playoffs but he was done. Pau couldn't step it up either. It all fell on Dwight who promptly got himself ejected from the close out game rather than deal with it.

Who knows how that would have played out if Lillard hadn't bumped Nash's leg? The team did have talent but they weren't an ideal fit. D'Antoni wanted to trade Pau, and if memory serves correctly they had an opportunity to trade him for a young Kyle Lowry and passed. The minute Dwight bolted to Houston that team was done. Though remembering back to the time there was still some hope that Nash could rehab over the summer and make a recovery. That Kobe would buck the odds and be back for the playoffs the next year, etc.

The equivalent to that would be if AD had a serious injury now, and then Lebron had a career ending injury. Those things can happen, but we aren't there yet.

Did we have the chance of trading Pau for Lowry? I thought it was Pau for Dragic, Scola, Kevin Martin, and a pick (the package Houston would have gotten for CP3 minus Odom). I thought it was Pau for Ryan Anderson and the Pelicans didn’t want to do it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Even with all the issues, that 2012 team played like they gave a damn.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject:

The only similarity is that Dwight Howard was on both rosters
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject:

I think of that season as the basketball reasons season.

Lakers didn’t have much to do after the veto.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Isaiah Thomas bulldozing into Nash during pre-season for no reason which had him start the season hurt, and Dame Lillard breaking Nash's leg were things that hurt us tremendously.

That + Dwight deciding while on a team with Steve Nash that he didn't want to be a pick and roll center anymore because he wanted to prove to Shaq he could do more...
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

Yep. We should have had Chris Paul.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

Yep. We should have had Chris Paul.

We would still have him to this day.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: