Official ANTHONY DAVIS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1102, 1103, 1104 ... 1423, 1424, 1425  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
32 wrote:
Wow.

Quote:
Anthony Davis vs. Pistons: 30 points, 10 rebounds, 6 assists, 5 blocks, 4 steals.

AD has not been our issue this season.

he admittedly says the defense starts with him. What's our defense rating?

AD is an incredible defensive player. But that doesn’t mean he’s magic and can teleport. When perimeter guys are getting blown by or are getting switched onto bigger guys who shoot over them what’s AD supposed to do? Use sorcery to transpose himself with the guard? If AD is forced to rotate out to the perimeter to close out on a three point shooter, how can he be expected to box out the guys in the paint and secure the rebound? He’s an incredible player, but he’s still subject to the laws of physics.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject:

He needs to play the whole game like he played the last 3 minutes of the 4th.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
32 wrote:
Wow.

Quote:
Anthony Davis vs. Pistons: 30 points, 10 rebounds, 6 assists, 5 blocks, 4 steals.

AD has not been our issue this season.

he admittedly says the defense starts with him. What's our defense rating?

AD is an incredible defensive player. But that doesn’t mean he’s magic and can teleport. When perimeter guys are getting blown by or are getting switched onto bigger guys who shoot over them what’s AD supposed to do? Use sorcery to transpose himself with the guard? If AD is forced to rotate out to the perimeter to close out on a three point shooter, how can he be expected to box out the guys in the paint and secure the rebound? He’s an incredible player, but he’s still subject to the laws of physics.

he was getting ragdolled in the first half.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Last season he was like this. He would show up one game and then next game he went back on vacation. Not sure if it was because against an inferior opponent with bad players or not. I won't get excited until he does it on a consistent basis and against elite teams. Have these stat lines against Gobert, Ayton and Green. Then I'll be impressed.

Why hasn't he been doing this all season? Did it take an ejection of his bestie in order to unleash his inner beast?

AD has been playing really well on both ends for most of this season so far. It was really just the previous couple of games where he was soft and not aggressive enough.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject:

I feel when we use him as a 4 first then slide him to the 5 to close out the game, it gives us an edge that we don't have otherwise. It gives him the ability to first get his feel in using his length and size over 4s, then go with the 5 spot to play all out. This is not the first time this has happened in his Laker career, it is quite often he thrives when he's a closing 5 vs a full time 5.

The other thing is that many overrate the importance of one player on defense. Like with Caruso. Ok, he's a stud energy guy. But when we put him on the Suns series, he got torched by Booker all series. We tried a few things and he got owned. Yet Caruso was a key vital player to our team D. As was a guy like KCP who would fight like crazy. Now you add AD to them, you've got 3 high volume defensive effort guys in your lineup. Team D, rotations etc all better. See where I am going with this?

Watch the 4th Q defense.

How good are those efforts outside of AD? We don't see those efforts from Westbrook and Melo on D, the ones we got today in the 4th.

Watch the 0.33 second mark of that vid. Look at Melo's D. He doesn't do that. Russ was locked in as well. The only guys that consistenly give effort on D are Bradley (but he's undersized on 3s/bigger 2s when switched) and Reaves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject:

The year AD finished second in DPOTY, the first year with the Lakers, the guys around him were Bradley defending points, Lebron was super motivated on D with the whole washed king summer (plus vids of his D post groin injury showing his poor D), Danny Green is a great team defender and then there's of course KCP and Alex Carushow. Dwight was also a beast that year on D. So defenders we had with a high motor - AD, Dwight, Carushow, Green, KCP/Bradely, and Bron was motivated coming off the year where the groin injury revealed some defensive weaknesses in his game.

Anyway, I hope we can get more defensive effort from guys like Westbrook, Melo and even Bron. But I can't really count on it. These guys are superstars and load managing (and in case of Melo, never really been a big defender). We will just be inconsistent all season, IMO. Our best hope is a smaller trade that brings in some defensive talent at the perimeter, getting Reaves back full time in the rotation, etc. With the team, these guys just don't seem like they can be motivated in this late stage of their careers to bring defense every night. We just have to find a way to be respectable in the RS, enough to get into the playoffs. Peak at the right time, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject:

You can tell why The pistons is a bad team. Their late game positions involved Cade Cunningham and Grant attacking AD 1 on 1…..
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The year AD finished second in DPOTY, the first year with the Lakers, the guys around him were Bradley defending points, Lebron was super motivated on D with the whole washed king summer (plus vids of his D post groin injury showing his poor D), Danny Green is a great team defender and then there's of course KCP and Alex Carushow. Dwight was also a beast that year on D. So defenders we had with a high motor - AD, Dwight, Carushow, Green, KCP/Bradely, and Bron was motivated coming off the year where the groin injury revealed some defensive weaknesses in his game.

Anyway, I hope we can get more defensive effort from guys like Westbrook, Melo and even Bron. But I can't really count on it. These guys are superstars and load managing (and in case of Melo, never really been a big defender). We will just be inconsistent all season, IMO. Our best hope is a smaller trade that brings in some defensive talent at the perimeter, getting Reaves back full time in the rotation, etc. With the team, these guys just don't seem like they can be motivated in this late stage of their careers to bring defense every night. We just have to find a way to be respectable in the RS, enough to get into the playoffs. Peak at the right time, etc.

Don't forget JaVale manning the paint along with AD. Then you had Howard coming in as backup. The paint was closed that year.

Kiss my Converse.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject:

MVP

🙏🏀🙏🏀🙏
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I feel when we use him as a 4 first then slide him to the 5 to close out the game, it gives us an edge that we don't have otherwise. It gives him the ability to first get his feel in using his length and size over 4s, then go with the 5 spot to play all out. This is not the first time this has happened in his Laker career, it is quite often he thrives when he's a closing 5 vs a full time 5.

The other thing is that many overrate the importance of one player on defense. Like with Caruso. Ok, he's a stud energy guy. But when we put him on the Suns series, he got torched by Booker all series. We tried a few things and he got owned. Yet Caruso was a key vital player to our team D. As was a guy like KCP who would fight like crazy. Now you add AD to them, you've got 3 high volume defensive effort guys in your lineup. Team D, rotations etc all better. See where I am going with this?

Watch the 4th Q defense.

How good are those efforts outside of AD? We don't see those efforts from Westbrook and Melo on D, the ones we got today in the 4th.

Watch the 0.33 second mark of that vid. Look at Melo's D. He doesn't do that. Russ was locked in as well. The only guys that consistenly give effort on D are Bradley (but he's undersized on 3s/bigger 2s when switched) and Reaves.

So much this. Pretending AD is at fault for the defensive lapses is nuts to me. There was one play in I think the first half where a Pistons player secured the offensive rebound and is Outback that I’m sure some people blame AD for since he was in the paint too and had a body on the guy, but it was actually Melo on the other side of that Pistons player who needed to help by sandwiching the guy so if the ball did bounce to the opposite side of AD on the Piston’s player’s side of the rim, he could keep him from moving to grab the O board and Melo could pick it up off the bounce instead. But Melo didn’t move at all and just stood there like a lump watching and AD let him know about it afterwards.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:47 am    Post subject:

AD was devastating especially late game. Not just his defensive plays, it's always refreshing to see his fire and passion.

Do more of this please.

Also we are seeing improving chemistry between AD and Russ, perhaps the King had this planned all along
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:35 am    Post subject:

Watching AD at 5, I remembered the time Phil played Odom as full time playmaker and it really improved Odom’s playmaking: most consistent and more effective, not just made highlights. AD needs that training: being consistent and effective at 5 too. Glad to see our guys keep improving
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:41 am    Post subject:

This is the Davis I wanna see, even if he's having a slow start, he should always finish strong

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject:

According to basketball reference he's 116 O rating per 100 possessions.
105 on D per 100 possessions.

That's better than last year. I think this AD is better than last year, but not the same player he was 2 years ago. We also make AD's impact a lot less because we don't post him up as much, and we don't play good team D. Good team D = AD's strengths displayed more, post ups = more AD percentage shots.

One of the reasons we're going away from AD post ups are the doubles and zones. But we need to be patient and not panic. The post ups are still better for AD than a lot of perimeter jumpshooting. It needs to be a mix of both.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
According to basketball reference he's 116 O rating per 100 possessions.
105 on D per 100 possessions.

That's better than last year. I think this AD is better than last year, but not the same player he was 2 years ago. We also make AD's impact a lot less because we don't post him up as much, and we don't play good team D. Good team D = AD's strengths displayed more, post ups = more AD percentage shots.

One of the reasons we're going away from AD post ups are the doubles and zones. But we need to be patient and not panic. The post ups are still better for AD than a lot of perimeter jumpshooting. It needs to be a mix of both.

I believe Spectrum mentioned that AD is scoring more points in the paint than anyone else in the league, except for Giannis.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject:

Smfh @ needing all of 40 minutes from the Brow towards the lowly Pistons.

In fact, considering our multiple OT games, Russ & AD are at #3 and #4 in total minutes played this season. I don’t think this is sustainable and part of it is with dude being forced to play the 5.

https://go.nba.com/hc9u

Offensively he’s putting in work, but I rather have him as our roving help defender at the 4.

Quote:
Point leaders on Post Ups:

Nikola Jokic - 70
Anthony Davis - 69
Jonas Valanciunas - 57
Joel Embiid - 50
Kevin Durant - 42
Julius Randle - 41
Jimmy Butler - 40
Domantas Sabonis - 36
Giannis Antetokounmpo - 36

Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Watch the 4th Q defense.

In my opinion this is the whole problem with the team. They just haven't been playing hard enough on defense to be a good team. I remember how impressed I was by their consistent effort on defense 2 seasons ago. Not seeing anything close to that this year.
fubby1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Last season he was like this. He would show up one game and then next game he went back on vacation. Not sure if it was because against an inferior opponent with bad players or not. I won't get excited until he does it on a consistent basis and against elite teams. Have these stat lines against Gobert, Ayton and Green. Then I'll be impressed.

Why hasn't he been doing this all season? Did it take an ejection of his bestie in order to unleash his inner beast?

Think you hit the nail on the head here. He needs to bring it every night. Kobe did, so does La Bron, he needs to have that Mamba mentality , he does that and He and the Lakers are #1
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject:

AD’s questionable tonight.

Quote:
Brad Turner @BA_Turner

Anthony Davis questionable with flu-like symptoms, non-COVID related, Lakers said.

Hopefully Julius doesn’t bully us.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
AD’s questionable tonight.

Quote:
Brad Turner @BA_Turner

Anthony Davis questionable with flu-like symptoms, non-COVID related, Lakers said.

Hopefully Julius doesn’t bully us.

This is Melo's homecoming!!! (Julius would 100% bully him without AD lol)
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject:

Always something…
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Always something…

NYC nightlife is tough to beat
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Always something…

NYC nightlife is tough to beat

Most likely why he’s “sick.”

Day to Davis just living up to his name.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject:

Lol

Just shut the (bleep) up. Stop making (bleep) up.

Guy is sick. Can happen to anybody
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Lol

Just shut the (bleep) up. Stop making (bleep) up.

Guy is sick. Can happen to anybody

He is sick because he most likely went out in the NYC cesspool

Point is he isn’t the only one going out, but he’s one of the few that is prone to sickness, injury, etc.

Wasn’t he also sick for the jail blazers game?

Need to bubble wrap our franchise player. Maybe make a movie, bubble boy II - AD’s adventures.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1102, 1103, 1104 ... 1423, 1424, 1425  Next
Page 1103 of 1425
Jump to: