OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 157, 158, 159  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 25776

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
4 future HoFers! We just need one more and we’ll have a whole lineup. Unstoppable then.


We've already got five and probably six:

Howard
Davis
Carmelo
Lebron
Westbrook
Rondo

Rondo is the only one who isn't automatic, but he should make it eventually. There have probably been times this season when we had five future Hall of Famers on the floor.
_________________
Internet Argument Resolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Feb 2016
Posts: 1214

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
I like what pelinka did this summer.

This team without another creator would of been like a fish without water. I wanted Hield badly but we needed WB more. The perfect situation would of been both here.


In reality you can't complain about the roster he put together. We are missing our 2 best ball handlers / creators in Nunn who was a legit starter for the heat and Bron. We are also missing some of the things ariza can bring. I wish we went after otto instead of ariza but otto probably wanted to be in gsw.

Take into account Vogel's inability to be creative and I think he did a great job.

Westbrook is a workhorse that can keep LeBron and Davis fresh until the 4th comes around. If vogel figures it out and starts having the ball move more and bodies we will see a completely different team where all our weapons can be deployed at the same time but only our offensive system can unlock that.

Limit westbrook's FG's, give him the ball in places where he has easy decisions to make and to attack quick, have him cut more, set "Nash" screens etc... we will be fine but vogel has to do his part


Limit Westbrook's FG's? Come playoff time teams are literally going to not defend him a smidge and instead send hard doubles at AD and LeBron. They'll also attack him on D where his defensive IQ and ball watching let's him in all kinds of trouble.

It'll get better til it doesn't. Then it ugly when we're essentially playing 4 on 5 in May.

Love all these stipulations for Westbrook.

“Just have him shoot less, turnover the ball less, have him make smart plays and learn to defend. That’s it. That’s all you have to do.”

Millionaire coaching staffs are nothing compared to the armchair coaches on the internet considering the solution is so simple.
_________________
If Brandon Knight were to come out, I would take him number 1 in the draft. - Magic Johnson Mar 27, 2011

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
2019
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Dec 2014
Posts: 8965

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
2019 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Every year Pelinka overhauls the roster. More than half the team is always new.

What will be next seasons theme?

Young guys?

All bigs, no guards?


I just hope he tells AD and LeBron to stfu and let him do his job. If those two didn't have any input we'd be Westbrook-less.

If rob wanted hield, and lebron convinced him to go after Westbrook, then I don’t know who is at fault.


Seems like that's exactly what happened.

Rob told LeBron he was close on Hield.
Lebron went and made the call to Russ.
Russ met AD, LeBron, and Dudz and all convinced each other it would work. Russ asked Tommy Shepard if he could get to Lakers.
Lebron went to Rob and told him the plan.
Rob called Shepard.

But.. Rob correctly identified Buddy and had the deal lined it up (I actually wanted to trade for him instead of Schroder and I'm on record saying that here back in 2020 but I digress). Rob got it right. LeBron and AD wanted a big 3 to compete with Durant/Harden/Kyrie.

There were also reports the Lakers internally were torn on Russ. I'm willing to bet Vogel was not in favor. He won a championship by blowing through the Rockets mostly by abusing Russ on both ends of the court.

Either way, it was a move that looks like it's going to absolutely ruin this season and potentially (very likely) next.


Very interesting points.
So, what you are saying is that this mess we are in is not so much Rob's fault, but Lebron James. Hmm...


I'm saying it's a whole bunch of factors. Rob for not identifying that Russ was a bad idea and quashing it from moment 1. LeBron for putting the pressure on Rob to get Russ so he couldn't build his own big 3 to level up with KD. Jeanie for not trying to bring in someone who can be her basketball voice/soundboard.

The reality is we could easily be sitting here with a roster of:

AD, Dwight, Hartenstein
mMLE, Melo, Ariza
LeBron, THT, Wayne
Buddy, AC, Reaves
KCP, Dennis, Rondo


That team is beating the breaks off every other team. It never added that coveted playmaker we wanted to help LeBron, but not sure it matters with how much versatility, speed, IQ, and defense that team would have.

But, getting a big three together and then skimping around it seemed of more interest and importance than building a loaded team with some continuity. Whoever you want to put the blame on whether Ir's Rob or LeBron or Jeanie.. all 3 missed the got it wrong and deserve responsibility.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 26719

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
2019 wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
I like what pelinka did this summer.

This team without another creator would of been like a fish without water. I wanted Hield badly but we needed WB more. The perfect situation would of been both here.


In reality you can't complain about the roster he put together. We are missing our 2 best ball handlers / creators in Nunn who was a legit starter for the heat and Bron. We are also missing some of the things ariza can bring. I wish we went after otto instead of ariza but otto probably wanted to be in gsw.

Take into account Vogel's inability to be creative and I think he did a great job.

Westbrook is a workhorse that can keep LeBron and Davis fresh until the 4th comes around. If vogel figures it out and starts having the ball move more and bodies we will see a completely different team where all our weapons can be deployed at the same time but only our offensive system can unlock that.

Limit westbrook's FG's, give him the ball in places where he has easy decisions to make and to attack quick, have him cut more, set "Nash" screens etc... we will be fine but vogel has to do his part


Limit Westbrook's FG's? Come playoff time teams are literally going to not defend him a smidge and instead send hard doubles at AD and LeBron. They'll also attack him on D where his defensive IQ and ball watching let's him in all kinds of trouble.

It'll get better til it doesn't. Then it ugly when we're essentially playing 4 on 5 in May.

Love all these stipulations for Westbrook.

“Just have him shoot less, turnover the ball less, have him make smart plays and learn to defend. That’s it. That’s all you have to do.”

Millionaire coaching staffs are nothing compared to the armchair coaches on the internet considering the solution is so simple.


All Austin Reaves has to do is score, defend and create better for others, and boom! We have another all-star.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Posts: 570

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
bluehill wrote:
4 future HoFers! We just need one more and we’ll have a whole lineup. Unstoppable then.


We've already got five and probably six:

Howard
Davis
Carmelo
Lebron
Westbrook
Rondo

Rondo is the only one who isn't automatic, but he should make it eventually. There have probably been times this season when we had five future Hall of Famers on the floor.


LOL you're right. Forgot about those two. I guess we need a HoF coach then. Wonder what Phil is doing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 5140

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Every year Pelinka overhauls the roster. More than half the team is always new.

What will be next seasons theme?

Young guys?

All bigs, no guards?


I just hope he tells AD and LeBron to stfu and let him do his job. If those two didn't have any input we'd be Westbrook-less.

If rob wanted hield, and lebron convinced him to go after Westbrook, then I don’t know who is at fault.


Seems like that's exactly what happened.

Rob told LeBron he was close on Hield.
Lebron went and made the call to Russ.
Russ met AD, LeBron, and Dudz and all convinced each other it would work. Russ asked Tommy Shepard if he could get to Lakers.
Lebron went to Rob and told him the plan.
Rob called Shepard.

But.. Rob correctly identified Buddy and had the deal lined it up (I actually wanted to trade for him instead of Schroder and I'm on record saying that here back in 2020 but I digress). Rob got it right. LeBron and AD wanted a big 3 to compete with Durant/Harden/Kyrie.

There were also reports the Lakers internally were torn on Russ. I'm willing to bet Vogel was not in favor. He won a championship by blowing through the Rockets mostly by abusing Russ on both ends of the court.

Either way, it was a move that looks like it's going to absolutely ruin this season and potentially (very likely) next.


Did Rob get it right, if he allowed Lebron and AD to convince him otherwise? That would seem contradicting to say Rob got it right, when being a GM isn't a players job, but a player or players dictated his decision.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 26719

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Kudos to Rob Pelinka for turning a championship team into an unwatchable product in 2 years. I don't think anything like this has been seen before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
seble24
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 24 Jul 2002
Posts: 50

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject:

I have no idea if Pelinka or LeBron is responsible, but this is a major mess of a roster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 16784

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Kudos to Rob Pelinka for turning a championship team into an unwatchable product in 2 years. I don't think anything like this has been seen before.
Loves the Big names. Not how you build a squad for the future. Very different from the 80's, 90's and 2000's squads. We didn't dump every asset we had for guys passed their primes.
_________________
Music is my medicine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Dec 2016
Posts: 1026

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Kudos to Rob Pelinka for turning a championship team into an unwatchable product in 2 years. I don't think anything like this has been seen before.


And we have two superstars. Yes one of them has been injured but even with Lebron this team is horrendous. You have to REALLY try to not be able to form a competent team around Lebron and AD.

Traded all our assets and we're not even projected to be in the playoffs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 26719

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Kudos to Rob Pelinka for turning a championship team into an unwatchable product in 2 years. I don't think anything like this has been seen before.


And we have two superstars. Yes one of them has been injured but even with Lebron this team is horrendous. You have to REALLY try to not be able to form a competent team around Lebron and AD.

Traded all our assets and we're not even projected to be in the playoffs.


If there's any silver lining to this wasted season, it's that Rob has to step down/aside and the Laker have to hire a real GM who knows what the (bleep) he's doing and doesn't just hide behind "i did what Lebron wanted."

(Cue the Lakers announcing Rambis has been promoted to GM)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 16784

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Kudos to Rob Pelinka for turning a championship team into an unwatchable product in 2 years. I don't think anything like this has been seen before.


And we have two superstars. Yes one of them has been injured but even with Lebron this team is horrendous. You have to REALLY try to not be able to form a competent team around Lebron and AD.

Traded all our assets and we're not even projected to be in the playoffs.
The rebuild will be even uglier this time around. During the last few years of Kobe RIP and after his retirement, we were trending in the right direction.
_________________
Music is my medicine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Dec 2016
Posts: 1026

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Ksig wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Kudos to Rob Pelinka for turning a championship team into an unwatchable product in 2 years. I don't think anything like this has been seen before.


And we have two superstars. Yes one of them has been injured but even with Lebron this team is horrendous. You have to REALLY try to not be able to form a competent team around Lebron and AD.

Traded all our assets and we're not even projected to be in the playoffs.


If there's any silver lining to this wasted season, it's that Rob has to step down/aside and the Laker have to hire a real GM who knows what the (bleep) he's doing and doesn't just hide behind "i did what Lebron wanted."

(Cue the Lakers announcing Rambis has been promoted to GM)


Yeah I really dont trust Jeanie to hire someone competent after Magic and then Pelinka.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 7771

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie should fire Rob asap if she's smart. Unfortunately, she isn't. She inherited the team afterall. Not self made millionaire.

I'm ready for another 6 consecutive years of missing the playoffs. Bring it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Mar 2020
Posts: 2030

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject:

RobtheGenius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 5140

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Jeanie should fire Rob asap if she's smart. Unfortunately, she isn't. She inherited the team afterall. Not self made millionaire.

I'm ready for another 6 consecutive years of missing the playoffs. Bring it.


She needs to fire herself for treating Lakers like a mom and pop shop, and not getting the most qualified.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 5140

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Ksig wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Kudos to Rob Pelinka for turning a championship team into an unwatchable product in 2 years. I don't think anything like this has been seen before.


And we have two superstars. Yes one of them has been injured but even with Lebron this team is horrendous. You have to REALLY try to not be able to form a competent team around Lebron and AD.

Traded all our assets and we're not even projected to be in the playoffs.


If there's any silver lining to this wasted season, it's that Rob has to step down/aside and the Laker have to hire a real GM who knows what the (bleep) he's doing and doesn't just hide behind "i did what Lebron wanted."

(Cue the Lakers announcing Rambis has been promoted to GM)


Yeah I really dont trust Jeanie to hire someone competent after Magic and then Pelinka.


No. Not at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Feb 2020
Posts: 1376

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject:

As painful as it is, I still think we need to be patient. Nunn hasn’t even played, guys like Reeves which were good decisions are hurt, Lebron has barely played - we should try to see what it looks like with the squad healthy for a decent stretch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Jun 2021
Posts: 1642

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
As painful as it is, I still think we need to be patient. Nunn hasn’t even played, guys like Reeves which were good decisions are hurt, Lebron has barely played - we should try to see what it looks like with the squad healthy for a decent stretch.


There is a reason why his team let him go for nothing. Nunn is not going to fix everything
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 7771

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Jeanie should fire Rob asap if she's smart. Unfortunately, she isn't. She inherited the team afterall. Not self made millionaire.

I'm ready for another 6 consecutive years of missing the playoffs. Bring it.


She needs to fire herself for treating Lakers like a mom and pop shop, and not getting the most qualified.


She's very good at promoting the Laker brand as executive VP so she should go back to doing so. So she should sell the team to the new owner with a condition that she gets her old job back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Jun 2021
Posts: 1642

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Jeanie should fire Rob asap if she's smart. Unfortunately, she isn't. She inherited the team afterall. Not self made millionaire.

I'm ready for another 6 consecutive years of missing the playoffs. Bring it.


She needs to fire herself for treating Lakers like a mom and pop shop, and not getting the most qualified.


She's very good at promoting the Laker brand as executive VP so she should go back to doing so. So she should sell the team to the new owner with a condition that she gets her old job back.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 139094
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Jeanie should fire Rob asap if she's smart. Unfortunately, she isn't. She inherited the team afterall. Not self made millionaire.

I'm ready for another 6 consecutive years of missing the playoffs. Bring it.


She needs to fire herself for treating Lakers like a mom and pop shop, and not getting the most qualified.


She's very good at promoting the Laker brand as executive VP so she should go back to doing so. So she should sell the team to the new owner with a condition that she gets her old job back.


She only owns 1/7 of 66% of the Lakers, there isn’t anything she can do.
_________________
If you could choose between dating a supermodel or going fishing, would it be saltwater or freshwater?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
laker50
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Mar 2014
Posts: 2085

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject:

At the very least the Lakers must appoint a check to mad scientist Pelinka.
A co decision maker who can make Pelinka think twice.

The Lakers are giving up valuable role players and first round picks for a pie in the sky.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2014
Posts: 6628

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject:

Not sure why there is so much vitriol towards Pelinka, J. Buss or even Vogel.

This is and always has been the creation of Lebron F’n James.

Manipulation of coaching staffs and his teammates has been as much a part of his legacy as his level of play putting him into the conversation on as GOAT.

NOW some seem surprised? This was expected the day he signed. Doing everything possible to get “ one more year out of James before he declines”.

We knew this was coming. Team has put all its resources into one more run. One more star studded gasp of a championship run before all the cards collapse.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 10537

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Jeanie should fire Rob asap if she's smart. Unfortunately, she isn't. She inherited the team afterall. Not self made millionaire.

I'm ready for another 6 consecutive years of missing the playoffs. Bring it.


She needs to fire herself for treating Lakers like a mom and pop shop, and not getting the most qualified.


She's very good at promoting the Laker brand as executive VP so she should go back to doing so. So she should sell the team to the new owner with a condition that she gets her old job back.


She only owns 1/7 of 66% of the Lakers, there isn’t anything she can do.

She represents the 66%, that’s how controlling owner works old man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 157, 158, 159  Next
Page 158 of 159
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB