LAKERS -at- KINGS - 11/30 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- KINGS - 11/30 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Cutting Out the Stupid... Two completely different halves in this game. With LeBron out with the health and safety protocol, they’d need others to step up. It took a couple quarters before that happened, but they found the collective, sustained effort they've been searching for.

Early on, it didn't look good. The Lakers coughed the ball up 8 times in the first quarter and fell back by just as many points. Russ and THT combined for all but one of those turnovers. Add to that wild drives and bad shot selection from L.A., and the Kings turned that into an 18-3 advantage in transition points in the first two quarters.

In the second half, they tamed the wild horses, and the Lakers cut out the stupid.

They didn’t turn the ball over with any frequency. They took smarter shots, made them at a higher clip and allowed their defense to set up after made baskets. The intensity and focus was there.

They dominated the third quarter, 37-15, and backed that up with a 30-18 fourth. That led to their biggest margin of victory this season, 117-92.

“At halftime, we had a conversation about the team we wanted to be,” AD said.

Vogel lit into them tonight and they responded.

Davis -- -- He started the first quarter getting into the paint for easy scores on low position. Gradually in the first half, he started to fade further away from the hoop and was missing jumpers like he does this season. In the second half, he and Dwight anchored the D. I love seeing AD on the weakside of the D in that zone, free safety position as we have to commit an extra man strong side to help on the screen actions. He uses that length to swipe or deflect passes. “We were able to play with a lead,” he said, “which is a good sign.” The team has put in some emphasis on dominating those third quarters lately. AD now says the team has to do it in the first half. It’s interesting how he mentioned that they didn’t want to settle for threes and keep putting pressure on the rim and with the pace. LeBron, of course, wasn’t there, but LBJ really drags the team into that mode sometimes. We’ve mentioned it with AD, though, as well. Don’t settle for those long jumpers, get to the rim, get deep touches. Some good moments with that in this one. The Stats: He scored 25 points on 12=22 shooting (0-2 from three, 1-2 from the line) to go with 7 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 35 minutes. He was a +10.

Westbrook -- -- That pattern of turnovers early before cleaning it up. He had 4 turnovers in the first quarter, but the wild drives in the first half probably did more damage. Hield would sink a three off the first wild drive. The Kings scored another layup when Russ lost control on the finish. Near the end of the half, another wild drive led to a three. In the first half, the Kings had 18 points on the break. They just took those bad decisions and ran them down our throats. So 2 assists and 4 turnovers in the first half, with a bunch of misses that turned into transition points. Shocking we only gave up 59, but just clean that up and the Lakers could turn things around. No turnovers for Russ in the second half. Plays that he might have tried to force instead became kickouts to his shooters. He found Monk for a three. He had one attack off the high screen where he spun, drew the D and instead of forcing it up, kicked to Ellington for the wide open corner three. He mixed in some savvy, faking a handoff to Monk and attacking for the easy layup. He worked off ball, cutting off an AD post possession and scored a layup when AD found him. The team found their sweet spot, getting flow into their game on both ends and kept their foot on the gas all second half. This game had the two faces of Russell Westbrook. The guy who came out of the locker room in the second half is the one this team needs. “Russ was raising his hand, my bad about the first half,” Vogel said. The Stats: He scored 23 points on 9-21 shooting (1-5 from three, 4-7 from the line) to go with 5 boards, 6 assists, 1 steal, 4 turnovers and 2 fouls in 35 minutes. He was a +12.

Horton-Tucker -- -- With LeBron and Bradley out, we shuffled in THT as our SF. Some wild passes from the start. Lobs that weren’t even close on poor reads. We cut THT out of the mix for a lot of the second half. Some more help D coverages that hurt on screen-roll D. Good hands at times to knock balls loose and a great recovery to block a shot, but we were not executing well on either end with him on the floor tonight. Bummer. He’d done well in some of the games LeBron has been out. We really need him to find that THT we saw earlier in the season. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-3 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 2 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 3 turnovers and 4 fouls in 16 minutes. He was a -10.

Ellington -- -- Stu was losing his mind (rightfully) on the Lakers not running any set plays to free up Ellington. I mentioned this a few games back. Set Ellington up for some on-balance open looks, running action specifically to get him a look and get him going. It took 12 minutes of action before Ellington got his first attempt up. So, first play of the second half, they set something up for him in the corner (he missed), but Ellington would pick it up in that second half and become a factor. Good two-way game from him tonight. He;s get a stop on Hield on one end, then hit the three on the other. He’d pull up on the break and drain a three after getting his legs set. He’d knock down a corner three off the Russ drive, spin and dish. Wide open. He’d also have a great cut down the lane to take a pass and dump it off to Dwight coming from the dunker spot for the throwdown. Some credit tonight for being a lot more disruptive on D in this game than previously. He was recovering to passing lanes and getting his hands on the ball. We need that from our role players with no KCP or AC on the floor for us this season. The Stats: He scored 9 points on 3-6 shooting from three to go with 1 board, 2 assists, 3 steals, 1 block and 4 fouls in 33 minutes. He was a +13.

Jordan -- -- He was yanked after 4 minutes and Dwight got the start in the second half. “He’s more familiar with what we do,” Vogel said of Dwight’s pick and roll coverage. DJ was never seen again. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-1 shooting to go with 2 boards and no fouls in 4 minutes. He was a -4.

Anthony -- -- Sometimes on the pick and roll D, if a screen is set high enough, we want one of our high men tagging the roller instead of the low man. There were a couple instances where you could see the fingers pointing or discussion after defensive breakdowns early on. Melo was in on one of those bad defensive sequences. His low man reads are much better. We saw him rotate to deny a drive and force a kickout (should have been a turnover but the Kings pass hit Russ in the hands). Offensively, we know what he can do. He worked that mid post area quite a bit. Getting 6 trips to the line, though, was important. Some of those came during the stretch when AD and Russ sat. Manufacturing points in that situation is super critical. The Stats: He scored 14 points on 4-9 shooting (0-2 from three, 6-6 from the line) to go with 1 board, 1 assist, 1 steal and 1 foul in 19 minutes. He was a +11.

Howard -- -- “He was a game changer,” AD said. This was the Dwight of two years ago. The guy who could scratch out a double-double on hustle alone. He came in after 4 minutes for DJ. Most of his scoring took place in that first half where he had 10 points on 4-5 shooting and kept several offensive boards alive or turned into second-chance points. When the offensive board wasn’t him scoring, it led to teammates manufacturing some points (a great tap to Reaves on one, who was fouled). I love seeing him dart into the paint from that dunker spot and bodying guys to create space on the glass. We hadn’t seen Dwight blocking shots for quite a few games, but he had a couple of swats tonight to go along with a couple steals, showing good hands. I don’t know what he still has in him, but this Dwight is the one that made for a key regular season role player on that championship team. Can we string some of these games together? It doesn’t have to be 35 minutes, but getting to that double-double kind of impact again. The Stats: He scored 12 points on 5-7 shooting (2-3 from three) to go with 13 boards (5 offensive), 2 steals, 2 blocks, 3 turnovers and 4 fouls in 35 minutes. He was a +27.

Reaves -- -- He’s starting to shake off that rust a little and playing at the speed of the game. His rotations were better, we saw some great boxing out at times. He wasn’t quite up there to where he left off, but you can see it coming again as he gets comfortable on the floor. Scoring wise, he had just one bucket. It was an iso with the shotclock low and he knocked down the turnaround elbow jumper. Love seeing him able to create in those situations and do it successfully. The Stats: He scored 3 points on 1-2 shooting (1-2 from the line) to go with 5 boards (2 offensive), 1 assist and no fouls in 18 minutes.

Monk -- -- Before the scoring got rolling in this game, he led the team with 3 assists in the first half. (We had just 10 in the half and weren’t close to hitting our 30 mark in this game with 21). He found Dwight on back-to-back lobs. He also hit Melo for a layup. He’d finish with 4 assists, second best on the team. Now, we obviously are relying on him more as a shooter, but it’s good to see that well-rounded ball. It keeps teammates happy and shows your coaches you can make winning plays. But that shooting. He knocked down 6-10 from three and was a continual thorn in the side of the Kings on that end of the court. We need our shooters to make shots. Our stars have been picking up their games. We get our shooters in the mix and you could see more of these kinds of wins. The Stats: He scored 22 points on 8-16 shooting (6-10 from three) to go with 4 boards, 4 assists, 2 turnovers and 2 foul sin 33 minutes. He was a +33.

Rondo -- -- He captained the team well during a stretch where we sat Russ and AD. He made sure we ran some of the offense through Melo. That manufactured some points at the line. Then Rondo found some moments for himself to attack and score a couple of layups. In 9 minutes, he was a +19. Loved the intelligent effort out there. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 2-3 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 6 boards, 1 assist, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 9 minutes. He was a +19.

Bazemore -- -- He came in for the garbage time with a couple minutes left. He hit Malik for a lob dunk. Then he’d drill a wing three on iso. I’d like to see him a little more back in the rotation. We’re leaning on Bradley as our go to defensive guy, but there are matchups where Baze’s length would be more useful. The Stats: He scored 3 points on 1-2 shooting (1-1 from three) to go with 1 board, 1 assist and no fouls in 2 minutes. He was a +6.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: It happened at halftime. Vogel lit into the team. “It definitely sparked us,” Malik Monk said. If it’s going to take more of Vrank Fogel, the angry alternative universe Laker coach, then I guess we need to see more of it. There’s been various fan commentary about Vogel losing the locker room. That’s bogus fan talk. This is a team that hasn’t had LeBron more than they’ve had him. A team that had a major roster overhaul with pieces that aren’t natural fits together. It’s going to take a long time before they no longer look mediocre.

Key Substitution: Dwight for DJ. Vogel gave DJ the hook early because of poor defense. Then gave him big minutes, starting him in the third. Personally, I’d like to see more of Dwight starting over DJ. Dwight was a +27. THT also saw minutes cut in the second half.

Key Stats: Well, holding the Kings to 33 points in the second half while scoring 67. That’s dominance. The Lakers lost the break 18-3 in the first half. Lakers won it 12-5 in the second half. The Lakers shot 11-28 (39% from three), the Kings 6-29 (20.7%) on the game. The Lakers led 47-41 on the glass.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject:

First!
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Great write up DB. Glad you finally got a good one, where the team put distance between themselves and an opponent.

I felt that third quarter was huge, especially for Russ. He really just dialed it up and was a joy to watch then. The team defense was dialed in for what felt like the longest stretch, possibly, all year (basically almost all the second half).

I do not want to get my hopes up, but unlike, say, the Piston game, the flow of this game feels like it could carry over...like the lakers found a rhythm.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -at- KINGS - 11/30 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
Cutting Out the Stupid..

Vogel lit into them tonight and they responded.

Vogel lit into the team. “It definitely sparked us,” Malik Monk said. If it’s going to take more of Vrank Fogel, the angry alternative universe Laker coach, then I guess we need to see more of it. There’s been various fan commentary about Vogel losing the locker room. That’s bogus fan talk. This is a team that hasn’t had LeBron more than they’ve had him. A team that had a major roster overhaul with pieces that aren’t natural fits together. It’s going to take a long time before they no longer look mediocre.

Key Substitution: Dwight for DJ. Vogel gave DJ the hook early because of poor defense. Then gave him big minutes, starting him in the third. Personally, I’d like to see more of Dwight starting over DJ. Dwight was a +27. THT also saw minutes cut in the second half.
On Point!!!!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject:

In the game thread, mentioned that I was doing a paint touch stat early on. It was something like 12 of our first 13 possessions, we had a paint touch. We went with AD in post up scenarios, or Westbrook driving. Sometimes it was THT (but THT just was no good in this one).

Overall, I lost track, but I think if I had to guess this was the game we had the most paint touches all season. I felt we played a good first half, even though we were down 9. We played the right way. Westbrook just made some stupid plays, and THT made a lot of bad ones (and add in Monk there). We cleaned that up in the 2nd half.

The 2nd half though the defense. The effort we got from Monk, Ellington, Reaves (I love that kid). Can we keep getting these efforts, guys? Please. Dwight hasn't been the same Dwight of 2 years ago, but yesterday he was. Maybe sitting a few games lit a fire in him.

Said in DB's last game recap, if we play with a purpose of establishing our offense with a paint touch and that leads to a 3 point attempt = good offense. If we settle for just swinging the ball around and shooting 3s = bad offense. What also is critical, when we play together on offense it leads to more together/cohesion on defense.

This game shows what you can get if you surround AD/Westbrook with some defensive role players that will knock down shots from outside.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB!

Now that's was a good game (finally). The Lakers dominated the Kings. No 3rd and 4th quarter meltdowns.
Hopefully the team will carry this energy on.

Now what about THT? What's his role? He's definitely not a PG. I don't think he can share the court with Westbrook, not enough 3 point shooting.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject:

What a 2nd half. I missed the game but I'm glad to see we finally got our blowout victory.

The disappearing act by THT has to stop. Caruso's value is through the roof this season, and I don't need more reasons to be upset.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject:

Did y’all hear the loud ‘LET’S GO LAKERS!!!’ On TV last night!!!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
That was the best part of these road wins. Going back to the Kobe MVP level days. When fans would start chanting MVP for him on the road. That is why I like when the Lakers actually are good. You want to have teams that go into your arena and get that love from the Laker fans. Shut the home crowd up. I still remember the 2002 series like yesterday

I hope this shows this team how good they can be if they play with effort and dedication to play paint oriented basketball. The majority of our offense was initiated by getting the ball to AD inside or getting Westbrook opportunities to drive or other players (Melo) posting up or driving (Monk, Rondo). The 3 pointers came mainly from the ball first going in through passing into the post OR dribbling into the paint. Then kick outs. There was even cutting off post feeds (Wow).

This starts with Bron. His love fest with the 3 ball has to cease. He's not Dame/Curry. He's Lebron. Yes, take more 3s, and spot up more. But they need to be from Westbrook or AD kickouts. Not your own creating and just showing the D how good you are from outside now. Same with AD. Stop taking every jumper that's open. Get into the post first.

Feel for Frank. This game shows it's not been Frank. These guys just haven't been listening to the coaches enough or trying as hard as they could be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB.
Teamof2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject:

Vrank Fogel!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
governator wrote:
That was the best part of these road wins. Going back to the Kobe MVP level days. When fans would start chanting MVP for him on the road. That is why I like when the Lakers actually are good. You want to have teams that go into your arena and get that love from the Laker fans. Shut the home crowd up. I still remember the 2002 series like yesterday

I hope this shows this team how good they can be if they play with effort and dedication to play paint oriented basketball. The majority of our offense was initiated by getting the ball to AD inside or getting Westbrook opportunities to drive or other players (Melo) posting up or driving (Monk, Rondo). The 3 pointers came mainly from the ball first going in through passing into the post OR dribbling into the paint. Then kick outs. There was even cutting off post feeds (Wow).

This starts with Bron. His love fest with the 3 ball has to cease. He's not Dame/Curry. He's Lebron. Yes, take more 3s, and spot up more. But they need to be from Westbrook or AD kickouts. Not your own creating and just showing the D how good you are from outside now. Same with AD. Stop taking every jumper that's open. Get into the post first.

Feel for Frank. This game shows it's not been Frank. These guys just haven't been listening to the coaches enough or trying as hard as they could be.

Low key have high hopes that the trio is just scratching the surface and AD is far from peak form, 60 games to get it clicking
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject:

Yay Winning! A real win! Hooray!!

Thanks DB
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

The settling by our superstars kills us.

There are perimeter shots you have to take - shotclock low...great, no problem. I don't care who you are, get the shot up before a violation happens.

There are perimeter shots you should take - ball moves you are wide open in the corner (I'm assuming you are there because you have some ability even if it's mediocre or a little below average). We don't want the D to catch up. Knock those down wide open looks. Even for mediocre or below average shooters, wide open ones go in at a high rate in the NBA.

Then there's the rest. The early shotclock chucks from low percentage guys (A Westbrook special earlier this season). The pound the dribble in iso, ball stopping ones so you can step back and hoist one up possessions (LeBron's favorite). The tough jumper off the dribble in the middle of the shotclock (multiple guys). Or the shots where a man is on you and you haven't gotten a look in a while, so you crank up a jumper (Melo and AD specials). The insane heat checks (LeBron, Melo, Monk, Ellington, etc... Russ does this when he has been lighting it up with drives, he'll think that equates to him being hot and then chuck up a poor quality three).

We do so much of the last category. We aren't that good a team to be so indulgent. Watch what we do next time we have a lead. Are we doing that kind of thing? Or are we playing smart, getting those paint touches like we did last night?
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject:

Fire Vogel and hire Vrank Fogel. I always think it's BS when you hear someone say that it's not a coach's job to inspire. In a perfect world every player is motivated 100% of the time. But in reality a good coach can give a nice kick in the ass when needed. It's something all the greats have in their toolbox.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
The settling by our superstars kills us.

There are perimeter shots you have to take - shotclock low...great, no problem. I don't care who you are, get the shot up before a violation happens.

There are perimeter shots you should take - ball moves you are wide open in the corner (I'm assuming you are there because you have some ability even if it's mediocre or a little below average). We don't want the D to catch up. Knock those down wide open looks. Even for mediocre or below average shooters, wide open ones go in at a high rate in the NBA.

Then there's the rest. The early shotclock chucks from low percentage guys (A Westbrook special earlier this season). The pound the dribble in iso, ball stopping ones so you can step back and hoist one up possessions (LeBron's favorite). The tough jumper off the dribble in the middle of the shotclock (multiple guys). Or the shots where a man is on you and you haven't gotten a look in a while, so you crank up a jumper (Melo and AD specials). The insane heat checks (LeBron, Melo, Monk, Ellington, etc... Russ does this when he has been lighting it up with drives, he'll think that equates to him being hot and then chuck up a poor quality three).

We do so much of the last category. We aren't that good a team to be so indulgent. Watch what we do next time we have a lead. Are we doing that kind of thing? Or are we playing smart, getting those paint touches like we did last night?
Agree

Going away from your strengths could mean the following:
* Not confident that you can beat your man
* Not wanting/having the energy to initiate a play, as oppose to poihnding the ball to get a contested long-range 3s
* Playing Hero Ball
* No confidence in the other players on the court
* Not physically willing/able to draw fould when one is attacking the paint
* Lacking the needed leadership that should be on display

Does this team need Vogel to kick their butts because they are acting like fat cats assuming that other teams will lie down for them - lol

Hopefully the question that every player should be asking themselves, would the Black Mamba be happy with the effort/efficiency/effectiveness/energy/focus that they are providing
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: