DWIGHT HOWARD Officially Back Part III Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject:

Dwight PnR, we gotta use it more with our less than stellar three point shooting guards, WB, THT
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject:

This wasn't rocket science. Dwight should have played against Minny as well and it would not have been such a struggle. Portland he was not necessary. This should be the recipe for the rest of the year. Next opponent is Atlanta, not only should Dwight play but IMO he should start. Game to game decision regarding starting while AD is gone...but he should play in most games...there are exceptions, however there are situations in every game were a defensive minded center and rim protector is needed during the game.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject:

I am sure when playoffs roll around we will have a few different lineups. One with Bron at the 5, one with AD and one with Howard. We have been playing all 3 quite a bit this season.

Dwight's more useful when there's a more physically imposing big inside that we need a big body on, but first we can throw AD on him and see what happens. The fact that we have 3 lineups like this should be a major weapon at some point.

AD's defensive presence is huge the Lakers D ratings have fallen apart without him and Dwight playing the 5. Lebron at the 5 can work but not full game. It's a gimmick, one we can run in short stints IMO. Like 4-6 minutes stretches. We can't go full time against teams with Lebron at the 5 unless they are also playing extremely small.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject:

Small ball is so dumb. Just play Howard against small ball lineups and just lob it to him punishing the midgets. Play Howard every game!! His defense and rebounding can be consistent whereas you can't count on Melo offensively every game.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Small ball is so dumb. Just play Howard against small ball lineups and just lob it to him punishing the midgets. Play Howard every game!! His defense and rebounding can be consistent whereas you can't count on Melo offensively every game.

Playing big led to the paint being more clogged.

Both Lebron and WB benefit from the open paint offense.

1) Bron at 37 does not have the blow by speed to get through the entire defense packed in. He is much better at getting into the paint when he's got spacing around him and finds a mismatch.

2) WB is viewed a non-shooter. So with that in mind, teams sag off him. Not only does this make it harder for Bron, it makes it even harder for WB.

The only time WB/Bron have looked consistently good, is when there is spacing and an open paint. Vogel is an old school guy, but he has adjusted. He knows what's up. You can't think about playing 2 bigs until you have 2 quality shooters around AD/Bron/Center.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

1) Bron at 37 does not have the blow by speed to get through the entire defense packed in. He is much better at getting into the paint when he's got spacing around him and finds a mismatch.

2) WB is viewed a non-shooter. So with that in mind, teams sag off him. Not only does this make it harder for Bron, it makes it even harder for WB.

The only time WB/Bron have looked consistently good, is when there is spacing and an open paint. Vogel is an old school guy, but he has adjusted. He knows what's up. You can't think about playing 2 bigs until you have 2 quality shooters around AD/Bron/Center.

Yeah...but a legit big exposes us big time...Reid looked like an all star the other night and we barely squeaked bye. ...I would still play Dwight, even for 10 minutes...the least you'll get is a defensive presence and rim protector...It's not like Dwight is a post up guy clogging the lane...he's usually at the free throw line extended setting picks.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

It can’t be dumb if basically entire playoffs is small ball.

The new prototype is an AD, Giannis, Bam at the 5 in the playoffs.

Embiid and Jokic are the exception because of their stretch 5 abilities and skills.

Even PHX is hesitating on giving Ayton max money and I suspect it’s because they know traditional 5s aren’t worth that money. It would be repeating the Gobert mistake contract. Even though Ayton has more offensive skills than Gobert, he needs to demonstrate he’s more like Embiid before they give him $, at least that’s how I would think if I’m the Suns FO.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Embiid and Jokic are the exception because of their stretch 5 abilities and skills.

Even PHX is hesitating on giving Ayton max money and I suspect it’s because they know traditional 5s aren’t worth that money. It would be repeating the Gobert mistake contract. Even though Ayton has more offensive skills than Gobert, he needs to demonstrate he’s more like Embiid before they give him $, at least that’s how I would think if I’m the Suns FO.

Eventually the league will just be players 6'4-6'10 who can handle, pass, rebound, and shoot. If you aren't able to do that in 10 years you won't be able to play unless you are a freak in a certain category.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Dwight PnR, we gotta use it more with our less than stellar three point shooting guards, WB, THT

He has bad hands. He is better used as a lob threat where he can catch with two hands. I feel like I watched 2-3 turnovers a game when teammates tried to make post entry passes into Dwight and he couldn't catch the ball.

The first lob Malik threw to Dwight, against the Kings, he couldn't catch with one hand, turnover. The next series of lobs, he caught and finished with two hands.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Well that's why you still need Dwight to spell AD on the Joker, Embid and Ayton. Otherwise those bigs will take Bron or anyone else down low and have a field day. I'm not discounting small ball....I'm just saying you can do Dwight for even 10 minutes and the rest of of the game small ball.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Well that's why you still need Dwight to spell AD on the Joker, Embid and Ayton. Otherwise those bigs will take Bron or anyone else down low and have a field day. I'm not discounting small ball....I'm just saying you can do Dwight for even 10 minutes and the rest of of the game small ball.

Agreed KR. Dwight still has a role on this team.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject:

I don’t care who we’re playing Dwight HAS TO PLAY SOME MINUTES in EVERY game possible! His energy, rebounding & influence of keeping every player who has been going against us this year has driven to the rim anytime they wanted. He is mobile enough to switch & keep up with power forwards or some smaller line ups who have leaders & just wanna dunk on us.

I’m not sure why Frank thinks we need to go smaller this year, doesn’t he remember two years ago with McGee & Dwight swatting & intimidating the opponent! Even if he plays 10-15 minutes he has a usual impact & it rubs off on others when he’s on the floor & focused!

We’re getting healthy & I like that Frank plays 10-11 guys if contributing? It will cut down on playing LBJ so many minutes (although we usually lose leads fast when he sits), if THT & Nunn stay & 0lay like we expected the offense should move smoothly as long as they keep ball moving & AD makes the right moves to pass when doubled.

Baze has disappointed, we shouldn’t have to play Wayne, Melo doesn’t get overplayed, etc. etc.

I think Rob will make a trade for Grant but if they see Nunn has the game we expected & THT start playing well than NO…

Trouble is everyone is not scared of us anymore & wanna stomp on us, we gotta rise to the challenge every night, something we haven’t done all year, but hopefully with these young guys coming around they can make a difference.

But until they prove they can hang with GS or Suns we’re just pretenders. Bottom line is Russ is NOT the answer, unless he plays & has a game like last night (no negative plays) which we know his history says he won’t…
HC: Riley
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
governator wrote:

He has bad hands. He is better used as a lob threat where he can catch with two hands. I feel like I watched 2-3 turnovers a game when teammates tried to make post entry passes into Dwight and he couldn't catch the ball.

The first lob Malik threw to Dwight, against the Kings, he couldn't catch with one hand, turnover. The next series of lobs, he caught and finished with two hands.

He has fumbled some passes but that first lob was a clear foul imo that wasn't called.. It looked like the defender hit him in the elbow mid air and he lost control of the ball.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Yeah...but a legit big exposes us big time...Reid looked like an all star the other night and we barely squeaked bye. ...I would still play Dwight, even for 10 minutes...the least you'll get is a defensive presence and rim protector...It's not like Dwight is a post up guy clogging the lane...he's usually at the free throw line extended setting picks.

Yeah but he'd be going up against AD for the most part if this squad were whole. I also think it has more to do with someone that can match the energy of someone like Naz and 37 y/o mid-season Lebron ain't it.

I agree though that Dwight absolutely still has a role on this squad. You figure AD will get 25-30 minutes at center which leaves at least 5-10 for Lebron and Howard each. I think a little smash-ball interspersed throughout the game will both keep them on their toes and wear them down at the samt time #DwightSmash.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:54 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Also...just as a side note...the last 3 NBA champs essentially played big lineups most of the time. Raps (Gasol / Ibaka and Siakam), Lakers (Dwight / Javale and AD), Bucs (lopez / Giannis).

Technically, the last "small" ball team to win the finals was the Warriors.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Dwight Howard at Kings game:

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers -at- Lakers
Dwight brought the energy at tonight's LA Kings game

Quote:
LA Kings AT LAKings
Dwight Howard is in the house for Lakers Night

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/1480046524310581248
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Be Magic Or Be Gone!@BeORLMagic

Dwight Howard is currently tied with Nate Thurmond for 10th All-Time in rebounds. He’ll most likely pass him tomorrow in Orlando.
Wonder if the Orlando Magic will acknowledge it?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject:

POINTS IN THE PAINT are killing the Lakers every game; it's almost like a lay-up drill.

IMO Dwight is under-utilized. He is a bona-fide rim protector and could be quite effective if he got more playing time in certain situations.
He's also brings a defensive toughness that this team is sorely lacking.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
POINTS IN THE PAINT are killing the Lakers every game; it's almost like a lay-up drill.

IMO Dwight is under-utilized. He is a bona-fide rim protector and could be quite effective if he got more playing time in certain situations.

If he wasn't going to be in the game last night to close out, then it should've been Stanley Johnson. Everyone is talking about the benching Russ thing, but what's being overlooked is Vogel choosing to play Melo who has CONSISTENTLY ALL YEAR been hunted on defense.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

It's inexplainable Pio....actually if Vogel can't figure this out then he should be fired.
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Points in Paint = Pacers 62, Lakers 46

Dwight Howard = 13 minutes only in 1st and 3rd quarter, DAJ = DNP-CD

Lakers scoring = 1st +9, 2nd -3, 3rd -2 and 4th -11

That's game = Pacers 111, Lakers 104

It's pretty obvious the solution - Frank needs to play Dwight more AND the Front Office needs to go get a big guy who can play with LBJ/WB. They are both equally at fault for these types of losses....

Running Melo and LBJ frontcourt for 30+ minutes is elder abuse....
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Jocker wrote:
Points in Paint = Pacers 62, Lakers 46

Dwight Howard = 13 minutes only in 1st and 3rd quarter, DAJ = DNP-CD

Lakers scoring = 1st +9, 2nd -3, 3rd -2 and 4th -11

That's game = Pacers 111, Lakers 104

It's pretty obvious the solution - Frank needs to play Dwight more AND the Front Office needs to go get a big guy who can play with LBJ/WB. They are both equally at fault for these types of losses....

Running Melo and LBJ frontcourt for 30+ minutes is elder abuse....

Agreed....IDK what kind of hit we would take on the cap...but trading or releasing Jordan...then signing WCS once he clears waivers would be a start.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Last night was a big man’s night. Embiid and Bamba go for 82 and Jokic and Zubac go for 81.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Going into tonight's game vs Orlando, Dwight Howard is one rebound away from sole-possession of 10th All-Time in rebounds.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Going into tonight's game vs Orlando, Dwight Howard is one rebound away from sole-possession of 10th All-Time in rebounds.

How fitting to do it in Orlando. They better have some graphic up there to recognize him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 14 of 17
Jump to: