Malik Monk… Definitely a keeper.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Los Angeles Lakers surged to their first four-game winning streak of the season before losing Sunday night to Memphis. The team has embraced small ball with LeBron James playing center, but a big part of the Lakers' success has coincided with Malik Monk's move to the starting lineup.

The 23-year-old guard signed a minimum contract with the Lakers after the Charlotte Hornets chose not to make Monk (the No. 11 pick in 2017) a restricted free agent. The Lakers may have gotten a steal with Monk on a one-year deal at just $1.8 million, but it may mean his stay in Los Angeles is short.

The team will only have Monk's non-Bird rights, which can pay up to $2.15 million next July. If he continues to break out, that won't be enough.

What may help the Lakers: The 2022 offseason projects to be the tightest in recent memory. Only four teams project to have substantial cap space: the Orlando Magic, San Antonio Spurs, Memphis Grizzlies and Pistons. Those franchises may not prioritize Monk, but much of the league will have the non-taxpayer mid-level exception (NTMLE) at about $10.1 million. The Lakers might have to use their own NTMLE to pay Monk, but that produces another problem.

If a team uses its NTMLE, it locks in a hard cap for the season. That would limit the Lakers to a total payroll of about $152 million. The Lakers will climb well above that total if Russell Westbrook opts into his final year at $47.1 million, as expected. With Monk at $10.1 million, the team would easily reach an illegal $165 million. While the equation would shift if Westbrook opts out, that's a significant long shot.

Instead, the Lakers should be limited to their taxpayer mid-level exception at about $6.2 million, which would not trigger a hard cap. At that price, Monk may not want to lock in a long-term deal to hit free agency again in 2023.

At that point, Los Angeles would have Monk's Early Bird rights and the ability to start his next contract in the $11 million range (for at least two to four years). That's comparable to Reggie Jackson's deal with the Los Angeles Clippers, on a two-year, $21.6 million contract signed this past offseason via Early Bird.

this is from Eric Pinus
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Quote:

<snip>

this is from Eric Pinus

Lines up with vasashi's analysis.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
DrDent wrote:
RashardA wrote:
A step up in competition and he's struggling.

Last year he had a string of 3 games where he shot 14-27 from 3. Game 4? Went 0-7.

Im not sure what my take is on that other than maybe he is what he is? Jury still out for me.

wow, i can't imagine the up and downs of Lakers fans if we had buddy. shooters have cold games and i hope people knows that by now. the Great ray allen went 0-8 from the 3 in the finals

I think my comment is being taken way out of context. VL cites to Steph Curry having bad games, and Mad your post suggests "really, youre going to point out a bad game?" reaction.

I do not think we want to compare his play to Steph's. I do not think we want to just ignore when he has a bad game. The point is, what sort of player is he? Is he a guy who can take as many 3's as ...say...a Steph, or even a Hield, and be relied for that?

Or is he more like KCP from 3? Their stats from 3 and number of attempts per game are sorta alike. Yes, Malik is a better creator for himself than KCP, but not the defender like KCP.

I have no clue. I certainly enjoyed his hot shooting. Jury is out for me regarding what sort of player he is.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
DrDent wrote:
RashardA wrote:

Last year he had a string of 3 games where he shot 14-27 from 3. Game 4? Went 0-7.

Im not sure what my take is on that other than maybe he is what he is? Jury still out for me.

wow, i can't imagine the up and downs of Lakers fans if we had buddy. shooters have cold games and i hope people knows that by now. the Great ray allen went 0-8 from the 3 in the finals

I think my comment is being taken way out of context. VL cites to Steph Curry having bad games, and Mad your post suggests "really, youre going to point out a bad game?" reaction.

I do not think we want to compare his play to Steph's. I do not think we want to just ignore when he has a bad game. The point is, what sort of player is he? Is he a guy who can take as many 3's as ...say...a Steph, or even a Hield, and be relied for that?

Or is he more like KCP from 3? Their stats from 3 and number of attempts per game are sorta alike. Yes, Malik is a better creator for himself than KCP, but not the defender like KCP.

I have no clue. I certainly enjoyed his hot shooting. Jury is out for me regarding what sort of player he is.

JR smith is almost as accurate as it gets and we should be happy if Monk can be that.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
DrDent wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
DrDent wrote:
RashardA wrote:

JR smith is almost as accurate as it gets and we should be happy if Monk can be that.

Think that's his ceiling?

Could very well be.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:07 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
DrDent wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
DrDent wrote:
RashardA wrote:

Think that's his ceiling?

Could very well be.

Yeah, maybe without the mental lapse, but prime JR smith was very good especially during his Denver days
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject:

I'd love to keep him, but unless he is willing to cool his heels on bigger money, he will be gone. I'd really try to see if Russ would restructure so we can keep him. I'm hoping our picking him up when he had so many issues before and getting to get mentored by guys like Lebron might mean something, but that's asking a lot when there is a lot of money out there.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
DrDent wrote:
RashardA wrote:

I 100% agree that the jury is still out. Especially defensively, watching him try to guard Young was painful. And maybe it isn’t fair but his decision-making off the court is a question.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject:

KCP is exactly the level of role player I see Monk as. 3rd best offensive player on a 2 star team.

Different type of role guy. But he is 24 when a FA. He is a must re-sign for MLE.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Don't see what y'all do. he's a pretty typical case of a guy who puts up good stats against bad teams and does little else. The few chances he's had against good teams--or in the clutch, when teams are locked in--he's biffed. Strikes me as a choker and mentally weak frontrunner. Weak defender to boot.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Monk is a player that can net you anywhere from 13-30 on a given night when he is a starter and at best will be an average defender in the league.

A solid role player, likely not an all-star, but a solid 3rd option offensively on a team full of stars, and an even MORE valuable 4th option offensively on a team full of stars. 1st option on a lottery team, 2nd option on a 1st round exit Playoff team.

That's about what to expect. The JR Smith comparison isn't an off one, in terms of the kind of role they can be on a team.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Don't see what y'all do. he's a pretty typical case of a guy who puts up good stats against bad teams and does little else. The few chances he's had against good teams--or in the clutch, when teams are locked in--he's biffed. Strikes me as a choker and mentally weak frontrunner. Weak defender to boot.

Salty af
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Salty af

What does that even mean? How could I be salty about Malik Monk? How does anyone other than Malik, his mother, and his agent have a dog in the fight over what kind of talent Malik Monk is?
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject:

Monk is a very talented Player with a ton of upside, however I don't know if he'll be in a Lakers uniform past this season, possibly, but highly unlikely...

He deserves all of the minutes RW is getting, however we don't have a coach that's capable of making good decisions either pre-game or in-game.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject:

Good player to have, nothing to be too excited about.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: