LAKERS -at- SUNS - 3/4 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings (DB Can't Do Them Today)

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- SUNS - 3/4 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings (DB Can't Do Them Today)

Just a heads up, I'm running up against a deadline with some other stuff and something had to give.

Won't be able to cover the game today.

Last edited by DancingBarry on Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
assassin08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject:

It's all good, man, your analysis is always appreciated!
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Yeah thanks for all the analysis. Whenever I wanna know how the game went I come here to read your analysis, but i'm watchin the game today so its ok.
Siguy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject:

I'm proud of our boys for responding so well to the loss of Odom.

The talent disparity between these two teams today was freaking epic and we almost managed to pull off the upset.

Now if only we could channel this sort of effort into games against the mediocre squads of the league.
LakeShow09
LG Multimedia Team
LG Multimedia Team

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Smush -
indnkid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject:

no prob DB, you do more than anyone could ask for with the analysis so its just fine.
Mation
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB, for letting us know in advance.

Hope you make your deadline.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Brian Cook stepped up big with 22 points and 14 rebounds. For a guy who only makes $1.5M, he more than earned his money today. Brian Cook deserves some credit for keeping some hopes of stealing one on the road against the team with the second best overall record in the NBA. I can't help thinking, the team might have won with a healthy Luke Walton. I know LO, who scored 34 points last time against the Suns was sorely missed.
shaq suxs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject:

im not into "moral victiories" but i think the fellas played well today. nice bounce back game for cook after friday's nightmare.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject:

This game bolstered my theory, about game tempo, and pressure... The teams that have been beating us, have learned how to put a lot of pressure on, and increase the tempo. You see some of the, so-called, weaker teams turning into "wherling dervishes", or a giant octopus, with many tentacles reaching for the ball!!

The stronger, more established teams, seem to be too proud to resort to turning into "wild men". It seems to be beneath, a team, like Phoenix, or San Antonio, to exert themselves too much... It looks like the stronger teams just want to demonstrate their superiority, by beating us with their skills, and the least amount of exertion.

I don't know why Phil decided to go with Shamu, over McKie... Personally, I feel that McKie would have provided more of a steadying force. We needed that veteran presence, and ballhandling skill, that McKie could have given us...

I wonder, if anyone else saw McKie yelling at Kobe, like he was telling Kobe what he did wrong??... After that, we no longer saw McKie on the court anymore!!... I hate to think that this is why we lost this game!!... :roll:

I forgot to say... I think our offense ran smoother, without Lamar... I wonder if it was just my imagination? What could be happening there? I still think we're missing some key factor, that could have won this game for us. Kobe began jacking them up, for awhile, when he could have kept the ball moving, or driven the lane.

Last edited by LakersSpirit on Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject:

Thanks as always, DB...
with his butter hands, kwame is an important defensive presence... but smush's d on nash was definitely disgusting...
decent offensive game, but i still don't understand why we are the only team on this planet that isn't able to play transition against the suns...
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject:

angel wrote:
Brian Cook stepped up big with 22 points and 14 rebounds. For a guy who only makes $1.5M, he more than earned his money today. Brian Cook deserves some credit for keeping some hopes of stealing one on the road against the team with the second best overall record in the NBA. I can't help thinking, the team might have won with a healthy Luke Walton. I know LO, who scored 34 points last time against the Suns was sorely missed.
The problem with Cook (since every player in the NBA can have a standout game once in a while) is that he needs to limit his game to what he can do well - of course, that might severly limit his usefullness. In this case, it means the following - and he was successful at it in today's game:

1) He is a "Catch and Shoot" Shooter - of which, he was mostly successful. This set-up a time where he was able to pump fake and drive to the basket

2) He is not a very good passer - as a result, he stayed to short and safe passes. None of this ignoring LO demanding the ball 10 feet away from and passing to half-court to Smush 10 feet over his head

3) Try to get rebounds - especially since he is taller than all of the Suns. If he didn't get the boards, it would be probably because he didn't hustle.

Cookie did better because the Suns (defensively and tempo-wise) are not the Spurs, Mavs, Rockets, etc. - hence there were more opportunities for clean looks.

We will leave the issue of Smush along, I'm tired of posting the same things that has been spoken many times by others
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject:

Mation wrote:
Hope you make your deadline.

Just finished.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject:

LakersSpirit wrote:
This game bolstered my theory, about game tempo, and pressure... The teams that have been beating us, have learned how to put a lot of pressure on, and increase the tempo. You see some of the, so-called, weaker teams turning into "wherling dervishes", or a giant octopus, with many tentacles reaching for the ball!!

The stronger, more established teams, seem to be too proud to resort to turning into "wild men". It seems to be beneath, a team, like Phoenix, or San Antonio, to exert themselves too much... It looks like the stronger teams just want to demonstrate their superiority, by beating us with their skills, and the least amount of exertion.

The Suns just imposed their will a bit more on us. They had more talent on the floor and more "team" because of all the stability they have vs. our instability. Lakers did a great job with what they had. No moral victories...but we saw some nice things from guys like Turiaf and Cook. We managed to handle their small ball with our bigger guys. Also, very nice to Shammond out there hanging for us. He missed that FT, but made a big three.

Quote:

I forgot to say... I think our offense ran smoother, without Lamar... I wonder if it was just my imagination? What could be happening there? I still think we're missing some key factor, that could have won this game for us. Kobe began jacking them up, for awhile, when he could have kept the ball moving, or driven the lane.

If Kobe had his perimeter game, we could have stolen this one. That said, I think his low post work was among the best we've seen all season. He overpowered Bell and collapsed the D. When they switched Marion on him, he tried to out quick him. That's what you got to do. Nice hoop IQ in that regard. Loved seeing him work out of as low a position as he could get instead of the midpost.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject:

8750 wrote:
Thanks as always, DB...
with his butter hands, kwame is an important defensive presence... but smush's d on nash was definitely disgusting...
decent offensive game, but i still don't understand why we are the only team on this planet that isn't able to play transition against the suns...

Without Luke and LO, who grab boards and push out, we lose a lot of our transition skills. That said, one of the things Phil did in the playoffs last year (and why we saw a lot of success) was to slow the game down to our tempo. Whenever we did that we had success. Offensively, we looked to pound it in the post and avoid threes as much as possible (and be especially cautious to get ready for transition D when we shoot those threes). If you start running with them...and get them "thinking" about running...you are asking for a lot of trouble.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
The problem with Cook (since every player in the NBA can have a standout game once in a while) is that he needs to limit his game to what he can do well - of course, that might severly limit his usefullness. In this case, it means the following - and he was successful at it in today's game:

1) He is a "Catch and Shoot" Shooter - of which, he was mostly successful. This set-up a time where he was able to pump fake and drive to the basket

I don't know what his percentage is versus "catch and shoot" shots or ones where he takes a dribble, but I've got to think it's pretty staggering. He clearly shoots much better when he can just camp and launch...which is why he would be deadly on a team like the Suns where Nash sets guys up for so many of those looks.
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject:

Taliking about overpowering how about Kwame in the post vs Amare?

He had that one stunted move where he spinned around and could not find a passing lane to anyone so he threw a set shot with Amare in his face.

But on two other attempts he backed down Amare calmly and pivoted around him,sealed him on his hip and sank a baby hook.

Then PHX doubled off of Sasha to double Kwame with Amare gaurding him and he kicked it out to Sasha for a wide open three he knocked down.

Can I get more of THAT!?

1 for 2 on wide open dunks

He did not get enough lift on the one he missed,panicked and fumbled the ball. I will give him a pass to due to gimpy ankle.

Next time he got a good pass from Kobe he dunked it hard.

On one play Kobe threw it 2 feet behind him and the play-by-play guy on ABC said "it whent right threw Kwame's hands".

I guess he did not see the play and just assumed Kobe made a good pass that Kwame could not catch.

OJ Mayo
Derrick Rose
Nicolas Batum
Michael Beasley
Chase Budinger
Darrell Arthur
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject:

you're right, DB (as always...).... running with the suns is like bleeding in front of a shark... so slowin' rhythm is not a bad idea... but at the end of the day, we lose in playoffs (we without injuiries, they without stoudemire) and we lose tonight... anyhow the suns often find easy shots, while we -especially kobe- have to find solutions against a lined up defense... as always, i find myself asking for more flexibility...
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

I don't know what his percentage is versus "catch and shoot" shots or ones where he takes a dribble, but I've got to think it's pretty staggering. He clearly shoots much better when he can just camp and launch...which is why he would be deadly on a team like the Suns where Nash sets guys up for so many of those looks.
It is everyone's hope that Cook can be utilized like Robert Horry was in the past. Everybody's wishing that he would develop a killer mentality to take the open and/or pressure "catch & shoot" shots that will always be there with Kobe on the court and driving the paint. We can all dream!

The bad thing(s) is that he cannot pass and/or catch a pass - along with his defensive liabilities that are the most glaring when he is playing so passive!!
LongtimeLakerLover
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject:

"That said, I think his low post work was among the best we've seen all season. He overpowered Bell and collapsed the D. When they switched Marion on him, he tried to out quick him. That's what you got to do. Nice hoop IQ in that regard. Loved seeing him work out of as low a position as he could get instead of the midpost." - DB

Some of those possessions were just beautiful. The way he worked the post was a joy to see. I was a little nervous initially because sometimes when he tries to do that he'll draw the foul and get the no-call, but it really worked well this time. Just beautiful.

I'm proud of our guys. You hate the L but I don't mind the loss SO much because they played a good game and were in it from start to finish. They ran their offense and played the game at their pace.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject:

Kwame did do a great job on Amare- he was giving cook & Bynum fits.

Kwame is so strong in the post- Amare could not back him down OR out quick him. Bynum's strength will increase as time goes by, but for now having Kwame back is great.
D-Dogg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject:

NestT wrote:

1 for 2 on wide open dunks

He was hit on that missed dunk...the hit on the hand dislodged the ball and, since the ball is part of the hand, that should have technically been ruled a block. But it wasn't like he missed it clean...he was hit and the ball moved in his hand, causing the miss.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject:

Kobe had an off-shooting day, although I don't understand why Bell gets away with so much. I thought 2 hands in the back was a foul. Kobe in the post was very effective, but the Lakers have to use the Shaq technique of him going weak to strong in order to get him the ball. Often times, when he sets up, Bell was able to deny him the ball. Have Kobe on the move to make the entry pass easier.

Cookie bounced back from his horrendous game vs Sac. Now's the time he has to prove himself with LO and Slalom out.

Smush is back to his bad attitude antics. He adds absolutely nothing and provides absolutely nothing against Nashty. Just sit down and shut up, Smushie.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: