With the first pick of the 2007 NBA draft....

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should be the #1 pick in the 2007 NBA draft?
Greg Oden
71%
 71%  [ 15 ]
Kevin Durant
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 21

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: With the first pick of the 2007 NBA draft....

It seemed a foregone conclusion that Greg Oden would be the obvious #1 choice in this upcoming draft (if he declares, that is). But now there is argument that Kevin Durant out of Texas should be #1. Honestly, I have not seen him play, but after what he did to Texas Tech the guy looks insane and unstoppable.

But Oden (Ohio State) is a tall, defensive C who many people liken to Bill Russell.

If you had the #1 choice this year, who would you pick for? Size and defensive excellence in Oden, or a SF with tremendous offensive skills in Durant (though he did get 23 rebounds as well against TT)?

Will this go down as skipping on Michael Jordan to draft a big man in Sam Bowie all over again? Or is Oden the real deal?

Or is there another player out there, a dark horse if you will, who you would pick if you had the top pick?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject:

Durant is a sure-fire All-Star at the next level.

Oden is a sure-fire defensive anchor and stud C.

Only question is, "Does your team need someone to carry the offense as a franchise talent, or do you need help defensively."
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject:

It's hard to imagine a team passing on Greg Oden. A team that needed Durant more might draft Oden and trade Durant. Even a team with the #2 would give a lot to trade for Oden if a big center is what they needed. If the team with the #1 overall pick was higher on Durant, they might trade #1 for #2 and another first rounder.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject:

As great as Durant is, the only way Oden isn't the top pick is if he decides to stay at OSU for another year. Oden is a solid post defender that doesn't give up positioning to swipe at balls he won't get to, he trys to block shots in play, and can walk right in and anchor your defense. Durant may put up numbers close to KG, but who would pass on the next Bill Russell? I kinda hope the Celts end up with him and we meet them in the finals in the future.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject:

With the way the game is going (style and officiating), I think Kevin Durant may be the way to go...

Just $0.02....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Oden is doing what he's doing right now with one hand - his off hand. Plus he's a seven foot center. Durant is putting up crazy numbers, but I gotta go with Oden on the big man rule. It's just so much harder to find a big guy like that. You may not be able to find a guy like Durant very easily either, but you can find a ton of guys to do a pretty good job at the swing position whereas there's a much steeper drop off when you're talking back to the basket big men.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject:

Oden should be #1 IMHO. He looks REALLY good on Defense out there. His right hand has healed and he actually makes his free throws.

Oden just dominates on Defense, when he has to sit, Ohio state goes into a funk and can not stop anybody. He is not putting up the Gaudy #'s that Durant is, but that kind of Defensive anchor is just hard to quantify, except in wins and losses.

You watch this guy play and his wingspan and size just jump out at you- for being a 7 footer, he has really long arms, Elton Brand arms + he is really athletic and jump muliple times for a rebound in an instant.

I am blown away by Durant too- he will be a great pro. Really you could not go wrong with either of these guys, but due to his size and Defense, I say Oden should be #1.
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject:

If I were Boston I would take Oden. He fits a need and is the best availible a long with Durant. If Memphis had the top pick I would take Durant. He plays the entire floor and there isn't anything he can't do.
Plus he will be more marketable.
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Durant, because Oden is staying. Hopefully.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject:

C-BUS LAKERFAN wrote:

Ah- an Ohio State fan! Seems like the kid is humble and a good team guy, you might just get your wish.
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
C-BUS LAKERFAN wrote:

Ah- an Ohio State fan! Seems like the kid is humble and a good team guy, you might just get your wish.

Yeah the rumor around here is that he is staying for 2 seasons. I hope so, but find it too good to be true. I can't blame the guy for leaving if that is what he decides to do. OSU will be A LOT better next year if he stays. Top 5 recruiting class coming in next year.

Pretty good team this year. They just win ugly.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Durant is the superior overall player, but the NBA has a higher demand for Centers.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Oden should still be #1.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject:

oden for sure.

there was some doubt when he was really injured and durant played so great, but with every passing week of oden performing healthy, it becomes a no brainer with him being such a special big man.

still, there will allways be hakeem/jordan to look back at...
who's to say it can't happen again...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: