BLAZERS -at- LAKERS - 3/16 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: BLAZERS -at- LAKERS - 3/16 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings

The 65 Game... Kobe said that he didn't feel like he was in a zone after dropping his 81 points on the Raptors. Tonight, from the fourth quarter on, he looked like he was in a zone.

If you have this game on tape (or plan to get it), go back and look at the form on Kobe's second jumper of the fourth quarter, at the 8 minute mark. When I saw it, I made a note at the time that it was shot with the best form I have seen from him in a long, long time. I immediately said, "This game is over." He was going to go off. Well...too bad we couldn't get a stop or hit some late freethrows to do it in regulation. Still, Kobe wasn't losing this game.

He willed the team back with a barrage of late three-pointers to erase a late 7-point Blazer lead. He had a 19-point second quarter and a 24-point fourth quarter. His overtime, corner three will be the signature shot of the bunch. Kobe has dropped some sick late-game shots on the Blazers in his career. I'm damn glad I'm not on the other side of those. Portland, you've just been Kobetized...again.

The Lakers snapped their seven-game losing streak. It wasn't easy. Luke couldn't go and Kwame looked like he might have suffered a setback, but Kobe willed it to happen. The Lakers came to a screeching halt in the first quarter and managed only 16 points. They came back with a strong 30-19 second quarter as Kobe dropped as many as the Blazers managed to hit in that quarter.

In the fourth, they looked like they were going to fade. They had their backs against the wall. Then Kobe dropped threes at the 1:41 mark, the 49 second mark and at 17 seconds to tie the game up. Sensational. "Before the tipoff," Phil said. "Kobe went around and got into all the guys' ears and talked to them about playing with some intensity and fervor tonight."

Kobe -- -- A virtuoso performance. Stunning. The second night of a back-to-back after Kobe didn't get to his home until 6:30 a.m. today and he drops 65...in overtime, playing all but 3 minutes. Wherever his jumpshot had disappeared, it came back with a vengeance. He had an extra jump to his step on both ends of the floor. Maybe he ate his spinach. Whatever he did, he was a different player. He scored his 65 points on 23-39 shooting (8-12 from three and 11-12 from the line). He also added 7 boards, 3 steals and 3 assists in 50 minutes. "Every big shot, it seemed to go in for me," Bryant said in the Daily News. "I just felt like I was in a great rhythm, in a good zone, and it was a great performance."

First Half: He swiped the ball from Roy and took it the length for an uncontested layup. He knocked down a wing jumper on his next attempt. He hit Sasha in transition for a layup. He missed back-to-back jumpers. After not shooting for a while, he missed his next jumper attempt. He missed an 18-footer to start the second quarter. He knocked down an elbow jumper. He took contact and hit a fading, pumping And-1 elbow jumper, he made the FT. He missed another 18-footer, not close. He stepped out to three land and drained one. Next time down, he sank a three a couple feet back. He then airballed his third attempt in a row. He swiped the ball from Roy and was fouled (he then heaved a 50-footer and it banked in, unfortunately there was no continuation), he made both clear-path FTs. He hit a jumper standing on the three line (no other Laker had scored up to this point of the second). He was called for a double foul, then a tech. He pumped twice then knocked down the wing jumper. He attacked aggressively at the end of the half and drew two FTs, making both. He scored 19 of his 23 points in the second quarter. He shot 8-15 in the first half, had 3 boards, 3 steals and 2 assists playing all 24 minutes.

Second Half: He missed a pumping FT jumper. He missed a three. He overpowered his man, missed, but put it back in with his left. He hit a runner in the lane. He missed a three taken quickly in the offensive set. He threw a pass away and lost the handle on the dribble. He sank a fade from the wing. He missed a pull-up elbow jumper. He measured a wide open three in transition and knocked it down. He bricked a three wide right off the glass and Phil sat him for his first rest with 1 minute left in the third. After a 3-minute (game time) rest, he came back in and looked like he had his legs. He knocked down a sideline jumper, with a toe on the three line. He drained a 17-footer with some of the best looking form I have seen in a while. He attacked, slid to his left, took contact and hit 12-foot And-1, he made the FT. He pulled up at the top of the key and knocked down another jumper. He found Mo with a jump pass for a dunk. He was now in a one-man shootout with the Blazers. He pulled up and hit his next jumper from the wing. After the Blazers hit a three, he answered with a three of his own. Out of a timeout, he attacked, drew a foul and made one FT. Trailing by 7 with just over a minute and a half left and Kobe sank back-to-back three pointers to cut the lead to one. With 17 seconds left, he in-bounded to Kwame, took it back, wheeled around a Randolph, rose up and pumped in another three from the wing to tie the game. He switched onto Roy defensively and discussed with Kwame how they would handle the screen on the last defensive play. We ended up getting the stop as Mo rotated to contest Randolph's jumper. He had 24 points on 9-11 shooting in the fourth, hitting all four threes. He had 56 points in regulation.

Overtime: He quickly attacked, spun, took contact and got to the line, he made both. He attacked off a ball reverse, got into the lane, faded at the elbow and knocked it down. Then came what will probably be the signature shot of this game. With the score 108-108, he got the ball in the corner, shed Roy while going to his right, spun the other way as Aldridge tried to contain him and contest and then Kobe drained the crazy three over his right shoulder. Stu is yelling "Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me?" Amazing footwork in tight space. "I knew the shot clock was winding down and I was able to create a little space with my body," Kobe said, "and I turned and Aldridge didn't have body contact on me, so I was able to elevate and felt like I got a good look at it and it went down for me." He hit a couple of FTs later. He had 9 points in overtime. Phenomenal game by No. 24.

Lamar -- -- He's mixing it up pretty good physically out there. Hopefully, he can engage himself within the offense again where he had started to leave off with both of his last two injuries. Tonight, with Kobe going off, you faciliate that and fill in the gaps. Lamar was the Lakers second scorer, with 15 points, 50 points behind his teammate. He shot 7-14 from the floor, a poor 1-4 from the line, grabbed 9 boards, dished a team-high 6 assists and had 2 blocks in 45 minutes. He took a pass from Kobe and attacked from the wing for a layup. He missed a 19 footer. He hit a sideline stepback jumper. He posted up, drew the D and hit Kwame with an interior feed for a dunk. He fed Mo in the paint for a dunk. He had 4 points on 2-4 shooting, 3 boards and 2 assists in 18:33 of first half action. He took the pass on the right block, attacked quickly to his left and scored a layup before going to the ground. He attacked with one dribble to his right and a couple long steps for a layup. He pulled down an offensive board and was fouled, he made one FT. He knocked down a 17-footer from the sideline. He missed on a drive to his left. With 2:24 left, he attacked, drew a whistle, then bricked both FTs, huge misses. He missed a three in OT. He knocked down an 18-footer against the shotclock. He dunked off an interior feed from Kwame. Defensively, Lamar was key with his rotations, doubles and help. He had his hands full, but anytime we did get a stop, he seemed to be in the thick of things.

Kwame -- -- Kwame tweaked his ankle again in this game and was definitely slowed down by it. He wasn't running naturally and it affected his mobility and strength defensively. This came especially into play when the Blazers ran play after play through Randolph and Kwame couldn't D-up like he would like to. Props for giving what he could. Hopefully, the ankle doesn't really stiffen up after this game. He scored just 6 points on 3-6 shooting, grabbed 7 boards, dished 2 assists and had 2 blocks in 40:44 of action. He lost the ball trying to post up. He bricked a jumphook. Phil sat him midway through the first. He dunked after LO collapsed the D and found him under the hoop. Good D on Randolph in the second quarter, playing tight and cutting off his drive to the left (it resulted in several iso stops). However, that wouldn't hold up. He looked real stiff on his ankle coming out at half time. Not running normally at all. He blocked Randolph on a drive, but Aldridge grabbed it and dunked. He picked up a couple of phantom fouls. He guided back in a missed shot. He scored another putback easily. In OT, they were attacking Kwame with Randolph on a series of possessions with success. We had to start doubling and rotating like mad. He fed LO with an interior feed for a dunk. An sppedy feed from Smush bounced off his hands and out of bounds.

Smush -- -- Smush scared me for a bit there in OT. He looked like he was getting ready to try to make things happen a little too much for himself. His offense was mostly off, but he had a couple of key plays in OT. Defensively, he seemed like he was putting in a pretty good effort for the most part. The Blazers probably looked a step slower than AI from the previous night. Smush finished with 8 points on 4-12 shooting (he was reluctant to shoot the three as he was clanking and just took one), he pulled down 4 boards, had 3 assists with 3 turnovers and snagged 3 steals in 41:29. He missed a jumper. He finger rolled in transition for a score. He threw an outlet pass away trying to hit Sasha. He missed a 21-footer and a three. He picked up his poor shooting in the last game with a 1-6 shooting performance in the first half of this one. He sank a wing jumper on his first attempt of the half. He got swatted on a layup attempt. He hit a baseline jumper. He missed a midrange shot on his next attempt. He called his own number and hit an 18-footer in OT. He tried to attack off the dribble, lost it, got it back on the floor and found Kwame who hit LO for a dunk. Later, Stu was right, Smush needed to know your horses, he attacked off the dribble then whipped a pass to Kwame...turnover. If you are going to throw one that fast to Kwame you better hit him in the chest or face. After the 1-6 in the first half, he went 3-6 in the second half.

Sasha -- -- Sasha got the start when the Lakers pulled Luke at the last minute. He scored a layup out on the break with Kobe. That was it, Kobe took it from there. He finished with 2 points, 4 boards and 2 turnovers in 14:25. He gave up the ball too early on the 3-on-2 and we didn't score. He caused a couple of Blazer turnovers, but gave them right back with turnovers of his own (Phil lectured him in the timeout about an errant entry pass to Bynum). He didn't start in the second half.

Bynum -- 8) -- Some decent anchoring of the D at times, although there were a few instances where we just couldn't come up with a board. Drew also broke the Lakers out of a long dry spell after Phil inserted him in the game. He was fouled under the hoop and made both FTs. He hit a jumper from about 10 feet out. He took a high feed from Smush and hit a jumphook. He swatted Randolph's drive attempt. He had 6 points on 2-2 shooting in just 6:31 of first half run. In the second half, he was fouled on the defensive glass and missed both FTs. He challenged several shots. He finished with 6 points, 5 boards and 2 blocks in just 12:16 of action.

Evans -- -- Cold Mo last night, Hot Mo tonight. Much better looking game from Mo. He had a few of those explosive type of moves we've been missing and did a great job getting to the line, scoring 7-8 from there. He got beat off the dribble late in the game for a key score, but also contested a game-winner to force a miss. He shot 3-6 from the floor and scored 14 points to go with 5 boards in 38 minutes. He threw an outlet pass away. He got swatted going up soft with his left. He drained a corner three to be the first Laker beside Kobe to score a second-quarter hoop at that point (4:20 left in the quarter). He took an interior feed from Lamar, elevated and dunked with both hands. He was fouled in transition and hit both FTs. He had 7 points on 2-4 shooting in the first half. Mo started the second half in place of Sasha. He went up high for an offensive board, pulled it down, drew the foul and made both FTs. Kobe hit him with a jump pass, and Mo dunked it in while still in the air, giving Staples a little life. He gave up a layup to Roy defending him at the top of the key with over 30 seconds left. Nice rush out on Randolph, looked like he got away with a slight foul, but it forced a brick on a potential game-winner jumper. He hit some key OT freethrows, making 3-4.

Turiaf -- -- I might have liked to see Ronny in there defensively for a few more possessions in OT on Randolph. He might have been able to contain him a little better because of Kwame's strength and mobility issues being affected by the bad wheel. Ronny didn't score in the game but played some nice D at times. He played 11 minutes and had 2 assists, 1 board, 1 block and missed his only shot. He came in to cover Randolph and did a solid job to close out the first quarter, blocking one of his shots and staying in front of him on a drive to let Drew block another. He fouled a jumpshooter and gave up FTs. He missed a jumpshot on the other end.

Farmar -- -- Interesting that Phil went with Farmar in this one off the bench instead of Shammond. Not sure why. Jordan didn't score on 2 attempts and had 3 boards and 2 assists with 2 turnovers in 11:31 of action. He traveled in the lane trying to create. He missed a sideline jumper. He forced a tough transition pass into Kwame and it resulted in a turnover. He attacked off the dribble and missed a wild shot, but LO cleaned it up.

Phil -- -- Kobe to the rescue. "That finish was incredible," Phil said. "They couldn't keep the ball out of his hands and they couldn't keep him from putting that ball in the hoop. He knocked those 3-pointers down that were remarkable."... After jumping out to an early lead, the Lakers gave up 11 straight points to the Blazers and Phil took a timeout midway through the first. They went 6 minutes before scoring. Phil brought in Bynum during that timeout and he scored the Lakers next 6 points... Phil took a quick timeout in the second quarter to yap at the team about their D... The Blazers had 10 turnovers to the Lakers 7 in the first half. The Lakers only managed 4 points on the break in the half, despite those Blazer turnovers. The Lakers gave up 8 offensive rebounds and 9 second chance points while they only managed 1 offensive board and 2 second chance points. The Blazers made 5-7 from three in the half... After Roy scored past Mo late in the game, Phil switched Kobe onto him. That helped take away that option... We were getting bled in the Kwame/Randolph match up in OT. Kwame looked a lot less mobile and strong than usual with the ankle tweak. We could have tried Ronny in there a few possessions. Phil eventually decided to double and that made a big difference... The Blazers had 17 offensive boards and shot 10-19 from three. We out shot them from the floor 51.2 percent to 45.4 percent...

FSN Prime Ticket Courtside View -- -- That was awesome. In addition to the regular FSN in broadcast, you could flip over to Fox Sports 2 and take in the game from the floor level. Cameras were roaming all over the court during deadballs. Seeing Kobe dribble in front of you and rise up for a game-tying three...incredible. All the sounds of the game while Kobe gets busy dropping 65. That was superb.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject:

"Before the tipoff," Phil said. "Kobe went around and got into all the guys' ears and talked to them about playing with some intensity and fervor tonight."

Wow, and his teammates do him the favor of LETTING him do all the work. Way to stay out of his way, fellas. Don't think they got the message.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject:

"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:

It's an unnatural basketball act.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject:

Great recap as always DB, gracias.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Drifts wrote:

Which, of course, means that Stu Jackson will suspend him 5 games for.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Drifts wrote:

I'd say supernatural...every shot got me off my seat, it was incredible.

I'm wondering if in an alternate reality, Kobe got to hit 60+ against the Knicks and the Bucks...Stu must be kicking himself in the head

Props also to LO, good game considering the busted shoulder. LO has been aggressive his last 4 games or so (extends prior to the injury)...driving more, making jumpshots, using his right-hand, etc...gotta make the FTs, though.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
LongtimeLakerLover
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject:

FSN Courtside was truly great. No one jabbering in your ear while you watched the game, just a great view.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Drifts wrote:

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject:

I lost faith.

With 1:30 remaining, Blazers up by 6, Kobe took a shot and missed, Randolph was immediately fouled. I said to myself, "Well doesn't this look familiar?"

I couldn't stomach an 8th straight loss, so I turned it off and did other things.

About half an hour later, I flipped by ESPN and they showed an interview with Kobe, and on the lower right hand corner was the score. I couldn't believe it!

But this may bode well for the Lakers. The early Sacramento game this year, they were down by 4 with like 1 second remaining. I turned it off and they came back and won.

Last night, they were down, I turned off, they came back and won.

Maybe performing while I'm watching puts too much pressure on the Lakers?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject:

this my friends, is why no matter how bad things are going for the lakers, you always still sit down in front of the tv before game time, and prepare to watch the lakers through all their struggles. on any given night kobe will show you the magic, and simply wow you.

every minute of every game, no matter what, cuz i don't want to miss a minute of kobe in action, you never know what you're gonna be treated to. simply marvelous. i was on the floor laughing with joy when he hit that turn around 3 in the corner in overtime. nuts. couldn't believe what i was seeing, yet, it was nothing out of the ordinary.

lets hope this gets the guys going.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:

Speed Limit
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject:

I'm really liking Bynum's D the last two games. He's starting to react much better and know what it is to jump hard. With a little more strength he could have had 6, 7 and 2, instead of 6, 5 and 2, which would have equal Kwame's production, but in 12 minutes instead of 40.

Also, one thing I've noticed is that he seems to miss a lot of free throws when we "need" them. He'll have to learn that the only free throws that count are the ones you make when you're under pressure, i.e when the game is tight or when you're behind.
CorkyTomjanovich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject:

Was Phil trying to make the game close?

That lineup at the end of the game was so bad and so soft defensively, the Blazers seemed to be scoring at will inside.

Why not play Bynum instead of Kwame? He was altering shots, while Kwame was having trouble moving, and guarding Zach.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject:

Some time in the 4th, I kept asking myself "How much more can Kobe do?" The shots he was making were unreal. Off balance, fading away, thru traffic, a hand in his face, but when you look at the shots in super slo mo, you see the perfect form, the positioning of the hands, the flick of the wrist, the correct rotation. Just like Neo in the Matrix. All you can do is sit back in awe.

We definitely needed this, not only to snap the 7-game streak, but to return that sense of amazement to Lakers fans.
Mation
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Glad I taped this, can't wait to watch it again.

Although our defense seemed to struggle a little bit, at least we were a bit more aggressive with the on-ball pressure--after Phil called that timeout in the first quarter.

I wonder why Shammond and McKie didn't have any minutes? Was it because Sasha had more defensive length than them?

That scuffle helped light a fire under the team. Randolph got into arguments with Lamar and Kobe. Then Lamar got into it with Jack. I think Lamar really savored this victory with the quick glance at the Trailblazers bench after the game.

Thanks DB, great, great win.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject:

I mean straight up Kobe won the game single handedly. Three from baseline after pivot with three dudes in his face is simply ridicoulous.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Some misc. info for the archives:

Quote:
It was the second-highest scoring game in Bryant’s career and fourth-highest scoring game in franchise history, after Bryant’s 81 against Toronto last season, Elgin Baylor’s 71 in November 1960 and Wilt Chamberlain’s 66 in February 1969.

In fact, Bryant said he felt hotter in Friday’s game than his 81-point masterpiece. He made 11 of 13 shots and all five 3-pointers he took in the fourth quarter and overtime.

``Every shot that left my hand just felt absolutely good,’’ Bryant said, ``like it was going to hit the bottom of the net.’’

Bryant’s 65 points tied for the 19th highest scoring game in NBA history. The list of players ever to reach that number in a game is a short one: Chamberlain, Bryant, David Thompson, David Robinson, Baylor, Michael Jordan and Pete Maravich...

...There was still some unfinished business for Bryant at Saturday’s practice, namely a bet forward Ronny Turiaf made with him after the game. He would give Bryant five shots to hit two turnaround 3-pointers from the corner.

Did he deliver?

``What do you think?’’ Bryant said. ``I just needed to make two, so I was goofing around for the first three.’’

1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Quote:

...There was still some unfinished business for Bryant at Saturday’s practice, namely a bet forward Ronny Turiaf made with him after the game. He would give Bryant five shots to hit two turnaround 3-pointers from the corner.

Did he deliver?

``What do you think?’’ Bryant said. ``I just needed to make two, so I was goofing around for the first three.’’

thats classic.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Quote:

Did he deliver?

thats classic.

I hope he didn't punch Ronny when he owed him money
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: