Lakers new PG

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simplebay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Lakers new PG

Acie Law.

Anyone heard of him? He's made several All America teams, he's hit so many big shots it's sick. He's ambidextrous.

I think he would be a nice fit. He plays solid defense, can work the post, and is a great leader. Cool under pressure, and he's faster than anyone while dribbling.

What do you guys think?
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject:

He'll be loooooooong gone by the time its the Lakers turn to pick.
LALdynasty!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject:

dont like him

saw him play in tourney and wasnt impressed
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject:

LALdynasty! wrote:
dont like him

you should have watched some more of his games. Best PG in the draft.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject:

He's ok. I wouldn't expect him to be an all-star or anything, but certainly better than anyone the Lakers have. I'd take him, but like the pup said, he'll surely be gone.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject:

He is good and will be picked in the lottery. That said, there are a few things I don't like about his game. First, he's more of a small SG than a PG. He doesn't really know how to run a team and gets most of his assists off of drive and dish type plays. Second, and most important IMO, he plays almost no defense. Think Chucky Atkins when he was here.

There really aren't any very good PG's in this draft. I'd rather take a talented 2/3 or PF with our first pick, then maybe take a chance on a guard in the second round. Maybe a guy like J.R. Reynolds (Acie Law lite) or Mustafa Shakur. Of course if Acie somehow falls to #20 you have to consider it.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject:

^
I'd avoid Mustafa Shakur. His shooting and decision-making skills crumbled in the second half of the season. That Arizona team resonated with NBA-caliber scoring talent, and yet the offense stagnated.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Agreed. Just an example of a mid second round PG. Although I do think he has the potential to be effective for 10 mpg off the bench. Especially with Phil's penchant for big lead guards.

Who do you like in the second round?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject:

^
I'm not too impressed with the second round PGs this season. There is one player that I haven't seen, but intrigues me: Dominic McGuire. Might slip into the first round, though he could be available for our Charlotte second round pick... hard to say, on one hand he is very raw, on the other hand he's one of those high-octane, athletic players who can impress during a closed workout.

He has combo guard skills, and he does have length. Does he have just enough speed to keep up with PGs? Probably not, but I am curious about how he'll perform during workouts.

Edit Addendum: But I know where you're going. We really do need someone who can penetrate and dish, or this team will remain inept against the zone. No guard available to us within this draft will likely be ready in the near future. It'll have to be through free agency or trade.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Acie Law is my favorite player in the draft... he can actually SHOOT with both hands (an injury to his right hand forced him to learn with his left, he shoots from long range with his left and both from mid to close range), clutch man, nice defender, nice playmaker, reminds me a lot of Chauncey Billups, being just as clutch.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject:

^^

I hear you. I'm not very impressed with the PGs either. And I love Dominic McGuire as a early second round sleeper. I think at 6'8" he's a prototypical SF, and won't guard PGs except on rotations. That said he has the potential to be a shut down defender and from his profile he reminds me of a Gerald Wallace type player.

Another guy I'd look at with our second rounder (50ish) is Sean Williams. He could go a lot higher, but he could also go undrafted. Freak athelete and the best shot blocker in the country before he got suspended. I'd take a chance on him with our 3rd pick. Even if he never plays its worth the gamble on the chance he actually pans out.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject:

We're definitely on the same page, DoubleClutch. Sean Williams would be an excellent gamble with the latter second round pick. One BCer that I talked to said that his second suspension was not drug-related, but I have no way of verifying that. I've seen him play... his offense is better than advertised as well. If he can keep his nose clean, he has a nice future ahead of him in the NBA.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
We're definitely on the same page, DoubleClutch. Sean Williams would be an excellent gamble with the latter second round pick. One BCer that I talked to said that his second suspension was not drug-related, but I have no way of verifying that. I've seen him play... his offense is better than advertised as well. If he can keep his nose clean, he has a nice future ahead of him in the NBA.

I'm on board with you on Williams. But we all know that shot-blocking and defense alone are not valued bearly enough by Kupchak to give us that hope that we draft Williams.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
Acie Law is my favorite player in the draft... he can actually SHOOT with both hands (an injury to his right hand forced him to learn with his left, he shoots from long range with his left and both from mid to close range), clutch man, nice defender, nice playmaker, reminds me a lot of Chauncey Billups, being just as clutch.

if we somehow traded for law or brewer i'd be ecstatic.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

if we somehow traded for law or brewer i'd be ecstatic.

Same here.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject:

LALdynasty! wrote:
dont like him

he's better than Farmar.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject:

With the lack of quality PG's in this draft, I'd ask why pick a PG? You've already got a solid young guy in Farmar with a year's worth of experience. Unless you're getting someone much better, why not focus on other areas of need where there might be more depth in the draft? I don't see Law as a big enough upgrade to pick him.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Law is a better fit for the tri than farmar.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

I'm on board with you on Williams. But we all know that shot-blocking and defense alone are not valued bearly enough by Kupchak to give us that hope that we draft Williams.

I don't know about that. His recent picks have been more athletic - Bynum, Farmar, Turiaf are all pretty athletic. I think this is the Jim Buss influence. Don't forget Farmar had a 40+ inch vertical.

The question will be whether upper management wants to gamble on him given his off court problems. Also, he doesn't appear to be a real high IQ guy. If Jim Buss likes him though, he might be able to convince everyone to use that 3rd pick on Williams.
Simplebay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject:

http://www.cousyaward.com/
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject:

DoubleClutch wrote:
^^
Another guy I'd look at with our second rounder (50ish) is Sean Williams. He could go a lot higher, but he could also go undrafted. Freak athelete and the best shot blocker in the country before he got suspended. I'd take a chance on him with our 3rd pick. Even if he never plays its worth the gamble on the chance he actually pans out.

i hear you bro, i thought no one wants to take a gamble on this kid. if not for his off-court issues he won't be available that late. i'm really impressed w/ the way he rotates on D & throws a monkey wrench on pick n roll plays.
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: