Are we serious bidders for LAbron in 07?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will we be in the running for LAbron in 07?
Yes
42%
 42%  [ 47 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 64 ]
Total Votes : 111

lkrsdudugold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Does this poll actually settle anything? Are we ruling LAbron out in 07? If so who are the top 5 or 10 free agents that year? How many top PG's. If we could seriously get Kidd for nothing why wouldn't we?
Sidious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject:

If Lebron signs that 1 year tender to become an unrestricted free agent. That's gonna one heck of an interesting year for Cleveland.
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject:

I'd just like to make the point that a couple other people have made. THERE WILL BE NO BIDDING FOR LEBRON IN '07. He'd be a restricted FA and Cleveland will match. Teams that want him will hope he takes a 1 year tender to become an unrestricted FA in '08 and then every team that can clear the cap space will offer the max.

Unless he really doesn't care about money, his choices will be those large markets spelled out in his endorsment contracts (NY, LA, maybe CHI) and Cleveland.
_LAKESHOW_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject:

first of all, no one knows what will actually happen in 2007. but the point is to have enough in the tank to make it there and be a force to be reckoned with.

secondly, i dont think we will be needing a lebron. because weve already got a kobe.

thirdly, our franchise has a history of running our gameplan through the middle. mikan, wilt, kareem, shaq. so i see us getting a BIGMAN over a guard.

lastly, i dont believe that lebron will be available in 2007. all cleveland has to do is match. and theyll have the space to do that.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject:

vkewalra wrote:
I'd just like to make the point that a couple other people have made. THERE WILL BE NO BIDDING FOR LEBRON IN '07. He'd be a restricted FA and Cleveland will match. Teams that want him will hope he takes a 1 year tender to become an unrestricted FA in '08 and then every team that can clear the cap space will offer the max.

Unless he really doesn't care about money, his choices will be those large markets spelled out in his endorsment contracts (NY, LA, maybe CHI) and Cleveland.

What if Lebron tells Cleveland that he is not going to stay with them past 2008 and he'll walk when his contract is up? Wouldn't that make them more likely to accept a trade offer (sign and trade?) in 2007? Otherwise, they'd get nothing for him. I'm not familiar enough with the rules to know if this is possible, but it seems like a loophole that the Lakers could possibly take advantage of? Especially if LBJ says he only wants to play for the Lakers.

I'm just guessing at how it could be possible. I'm sure there are other loopholes that I'm unaware of.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject:

P.S. Mitch and co are clearing contracts/cap space in 2007 for a reason… they've got a plan no doubt.
LA_NATIVE
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Who cares about Lebron when Wade will be a free agent the same year
lkrsdudugold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:
P.S. Mitch and co are clearing contracts/cap space in 2007 for a reason… they've got a plan no doubt.

That's what I thought. Who do you think it is, LAbron?
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject:

A run at LeBron in 2007 (Sign & Trade forced by Bron) or a straight FA move seems more realistic than Amare' (has a terrific core for years to come) or Yao (not a franchise player). Miami is setting up long term shop with its current core. Wade ain't goin noplace.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject:

Why would Bron Bron want to come to the Lakers in 2007? He could go to LA or Chicago and be the man.
lkrsdudugold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
Why would Bron Bron want to come to the Lakers in 2007? He could go to LA or Chicago and be the man.

So he could come to LA?
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:

I doubt the plan is Lebron, it would make more sense to clear summer 2008 cap space. Just to counterpoint myself, the third year option on Kwame seems to make sense for 2008 cap space. That said if Lebron for some reason demands a trade to the Lakers (and Cleveland takes our offer over every other team in the league's best offer), he is a hell of an upgrade over Lamar.

The plan is likely Amare. We just drafted Bynum who Mitch and co are hoping will become productive in the next few years. Leaving (with the assumption that Kwame doesn't work out) the biggest holes at the 4 and 1.

While I (and every other NBA fan) love Amare's game, I doubt he's going to want out unless Nash really falls off between now and then leaving the rest of the guys dissatisfied with their situations.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject:

LA_NATIVE wrote:
Who cares about Lebron when Wade will be a free agent the same year

What, you think Wade won't get a max deal too? :roll:
Lakes4Life
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:

my only question then is why clear cap space if it results in a sign and trade for LBJ, if he is going to be demanded to be traded then why not do it now for odom
DNA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject:

Wade might not come due to his rivalry with Kobe. Hmm, me thinks Kobe should start to "befriend" some of these guys to help our cause in signing them as a free agent.
elbonian
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Why is Lebron such a pipe dream

I don't like the Kwame trade, but now that I think about, Butler was due for a huge contract after this year. All the moves have contracts that will expire in a couple of years. The Antonio contract is supposedly for a couple of years as well.

All signs point to the Lakers gearing up for a big push to get a big time player in 2-3 years. They did this with Shaq when the great one was still here

Did you guys forget, this is the Lakers. This is the NBA golden team. Kids grow up dreaming about playing for the Lakers, with all due respect to the Knicks, Heat, Suns, Spurs etc.

The Lakers are not Detroit. They don't win by putting together a bunch of hard working blue collar types at reasonable salaries. The Lakers have always won with superstars.
phantasyman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:38 am    Post subject:

I love reading posts from years or even decades back. Just the nostalgia
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject:

The 2007 cap space plan for Lebron, Mitch’s incompetence with the guarantee in Kwame Brown’s contract — which no one knew about — that messed it all up.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject:

lkrsdudugold wrote:
When is Arenas up?

I’m pretty sure Gilbert Arenas is available right now. I think he lives in Swaggy’s LA neighborhood. Maybe he’ll be interested in joining these Lakers. He’s in the right age demographic.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject:

Man, if you asked me in 2007-2008 who our franchise player after Kobe would be, I would have guessed Bynum, not LeBron.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Man, if you asked me in 2007-2008 who our franchise player after Kobe would be, I would have guessed Bynum, not LeBron.

This.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject:

Funny enough, Lebron apparently wanted to come to the Lakers after 2010. With the max contract during that time, and how we would have maneuvered to make that happen…

NBA Salary Cap in 2010 offseason: $58.044 million

Lakers Roster by Salary:

- Kobe Bryant ($24.8 mill)
- Pau Gasol ($17.8 mill)
- Andrew Bynum ($13.7 mill)
- Lamar Odom ($8.2 mill)
- Ron Artest ($6.3 mill)
- Luke Walton ($5.2 mill)
- Derek Fisher ($3.7 mill)
Total: $79.7 mill

Now, if we got the good word from the man himself being like “hey, make room for me, I’ll come”. Then the Lakers pull their own magic while maintaining even Kobe and Pau.

Lebron James Max when he signed with the Heat: $14.5 mill per year.

So with that in mind, the salary cap, and how the Lakers could have hypothetically maneuver to create room, they could have done:

- Kobe Bryant ($24.8 mill)
- Pau Gasol ($17.8 mill)
- Lebron James ($14.5 mill)
Total: $57.1 mill

Granted, this would have required literally maneuvering almost everybody else for no salary in return. However, Bynum and Odom especially at the time, would definitely be worth a good amount of draft picks together, The only real obstacle to move would have been moving Puke Walton. Also keep in mind, a sign and trade could and may even still happen since that’s what technically the Cavs did for Lebron signing with the Heat.

Now you’re asking of course, how do the Lakers fill the rest of the team? Well we still end up getting Devin Ebanks at the draft which is worth less than 500k, but we also maintain getting players like Steve Blake and Matt Barnes less than an MLE and vet min like we originally did. Plus the other free agents at the time that would have joined us:

Jermaine O’Neal: (signed a 2 year, 12 mill contract at the time with the Celtics)
Mike Miller: (signed with the Heat for 5 years after the big 3 signing, so he basically switches to us)
Jordan Farmar: we would probably sign him back instead of him going to the Nets in this universe.
Tracy McGrady: still would be a serviceable player like he was with the Knicks/ Pistons for a season

There’s other names, but you get the point.

Would have been fascinating seeing Kobe and Lebron together.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject:

The fact Kobe made 24m at this time and we now got guys like DS demanding 25m 😂... athletes these days make way tooo much money. I get the stars but we seriously got role players making insane money
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Wow - talk about a long distance bump...

So the correct answer was 'yes' if you don't factor in being off by 12 years
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Are we serious bidders for LAbron in 07?

lkrsdudugold wrote:
Are we really going to have the 15-20 mil to throw at LAbron? I'd like to here from someone who knows but I'll go ahead and make this a poll for opinions. FACTS STILL WELCOME!!!

I don't think so, but my sauces say he plans to sign with us in the summer of 2018. Take it with a grain of salt though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: