Lakers to wear "I can't breathe" shirts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForrestHump
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
What kind of promotion is this supposed to be?

Asthma awareness.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:

why is your question not being answered lol? i have no idea what it is either was hoping your question would lead to an answer.

*edit* Never mind i see it got answered by somebody.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject:

No it didn't
stag3
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject:

i have no idea what i can't breathe is either, is it the same as the hand's up don't shoot stuff?
jlinfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject:

"The Los Angeles Lakers have joined the growing number of athletes protesting the deaths of unarmed black people at the hands of law enforcement."

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/nearly-all-lakers-wear--i-can-t-breathe--shirts-for-warmups-vs--kings-064430936.html
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject:

Sleepy wrote:
Would have made more sense if the shirts said "I can't defend".

Tired of this nonsense....political and social statements from sports teams. Just shut up, earn your millions, and play ball.

Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject:

jlinfan wrote:
"The Los Angeles Lakers have joined the growing number of athletes protesting the deaths of unarmed black people at the hands of law enforcement."

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/nearly-all-lakers-wear--i-can-t-breathe--shirts-for-warmups-vs--kings-064430936.html

If they are unarmed they can always play football, I mean Soccer. There is a sport for everyone.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
Sleepy wrote:
Would have made more sense if the shirts said "I can't defend".

Tired of this nonsense....political and social statements from sports teams. Just shut up, earn your millions, and play ball.

Not from the Lakers.

It was the players themselves who chose this. The NBA has allowed it.

I think it's great when players stand up for these kind of causes. Ali, Kareem, Tommie Smith/John Carlos. I applaud them. If you don't like it, then turn away.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject:

I agree with those who think it is a bad idea.

The problem isn't that they are supporting this particular case. The problem will come when they aren't supporting subsequent cases.

In any event, they missed the boat on this one. It's mainly a non-story at this point. If you want to do something like this, you have to be the first. That's what gets people talking and the word out. Wait too long and you just become a me-too.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

The problem isn't that they are supporting this particular case. The problem will come when they aren't supporting subsequent cases.

In any event, they missed the boat on this one. It's mainly a non-story at this point. If you want to do something like this, you have to be the first. That's what gets people talking and the word out. Wait too long and you just become a me-too.

I agree it's a bad precedent.

But I can understand if the NBA wanted to be on what it perceived was the right side of the issue.

But you're right, it will open a Pandora's box. But it will be dealt with, it seems, on a case-by-case basis.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

But I can understand if the NBA wanted to be on what it perceived was the right side of the issue.

But you're right, it will open a Pandora's box. But it will be dealt with, it seems, on a case-by-case basis.

This is an easy PR move by the NBA (and NFL). Just jump on the bandwagon of the mainstream media and public opinion. But sets a interesting precedent for when a player (or players) decides to use their First Amendment Rights to support an unpopular cause.

How hypocritical will the Leagues (or mainstream media) look when they criticize or fine the first player that decides to wear an anti-abortion, anti-gay rights or anti-ObamaCare T-shirt.

Or a timely " Stop the rhetoric- All police are not bad" T shirt worn by Shaq and a few players on the next TNT telecast.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

This is an easy PR move by the NBA (and NFL). Just jump on the bandwagon of the mainstream media and public opinion. But sets a interesting precedent for when a player (or players) decides to use their First Amendment Rights to support an unpopular cause.

How hypocritical will the Leagues (or mainstream media) look when they criticize or fine the first player that decides to wear an anti-abortion, anti-gay rights or anti-ObamaCare T-shirt.

And they will cross that bridge when it comes to it. Besides Spencer Hawes, you think the NBA's demographic reflects those views?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject:

I would expect the viewpoints of the NBA players to be varied as the players themselves. And our nation as a whole.

There is a wide spectrum of backgrounds. Urban underprivileged, suburban privileged, foreign born from developed and third world countries. Doubt there is any one consistent viewpoint.

And the hypocrisy has already occurred. If memory serves me, didn't a couple of players get highly criticized by the media and fined by the NFL when they made ridiculous (but anti gay) comments about M. Sam?
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject:

• This thread totally went a direction I didn't expect.
    I don't know why I didn't expect it. I should be ashamed
  • While the Lakers may be "late", apparently there are still people who did not know about the issue. (see above) So good came out of it
  • Yes, it does open up a can of worms when it comes to future issues. If the Lakers don't participate in every single thing it may be taken as non-support
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject:

Silver already said he wished the players didn't do it. So the "NBA" is already against it. Yet no one was fined so the NBA won't look bad.

It's not as hard as you guys think LOL.

They know how to play the PC game. You don't have to worry about that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject:

frenchbullcho wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:

volt

Post of the year...
TheFranchise#24MVP
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject:

Not to be a downer, or a jerk..

But I really think its poor taste on everyone's part to joke about those shirts, and the meaning behind them.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/12007630/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-wear-breathe-shirts-warmup

If you read the attached article posted on BSPN this morning regarding the Lakers wearing the shirts, you'll have a better understanding of why it was done.

I also read on twitter (currently looking for post) that Kobe himself called Deron Williams and Jarrett Jack and got the shirts sent for the whole to wear if they chose to do so.

In addition to that, on the Dan Patrick Show and First Take this morning - Everyone from DP, to Steven A, and even Skip praised Kobe for giving the most eloquent, statesmen like response as to why the Lakers chose to do this and why it matters.

Note, on the previous day they somewhat condemned LBJ for his words about the issue but the love Kobe is getting for speaking his mind about this decision has a lot of people in the Sports community giving him major props across the board.

Nice change of pace. Now whether you agree with the statement or you dont, and by statement I mean the T-Shirts, just take 5 min and read Kobe's comments and I think you'll stop joking around.

Again..not being a downer, but the two most prolific players in the NBA today dawned these shirts, including one (being Kobe) who essentially got his entire team to do it. It was their choice, but the shirts were placed at every locker.

Just some perspective. I know this isnt a forum to discuss race, and other social issues, but I also think the lack of respect is something we are all above.

Perhaps Jim Brown can rethink his comments as well....

"Know this above all else....Fully use every point, moment, and hour that you have. Time waits for no man...."

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject:

TheFranchise#24MVP wrote:

But I really think its poor taste on everyone's part to joke about those shirts, and the meaning behind them.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/12007630/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-wear-breathe-shirts-warmup

If you read the attached article posted on BSPN this morning regarding the Lakers wearing the shirts, you'll have a better understanding of why it was done.

I also read on twitter (currently looking for post) that Kobe himself called Deron Williams and Jarrett Jack and got the shirts sent for the whole to wear if they chose to do so.

In addition to that, on the Dan Patrick Show and First Take this morning - Everyone from DP, to Steven A, and even Skip praised Kobe for giving the most eloquent, statesmen like response as to why the Lakers chose to do this and why it matters.

Note, on the previous day they somewhat condemned LBJ for his words about the issue but the love Kobe is getting for speaking his mind about this decision has a lot of people in the Sports community giving him major props across the board.

Nice change of pace. Now whether you agree with the statement or you dont, and by statement I mean the T-Shirts, just take 5 min and read Kobe's comments and I think you'll stop joking around.

Again..not being a downer, but the two most prolific players in the NBA today dawned these shirts, including one (being Kobe) who essentially got his entire team to do it. It was their choice, but the shirts were placed at every locker.

Just some perspective. I know this isnt a forum to discuss race, and other social issues, but I also think the lack of respect is something we are all above.

Sorry, I don't really think what they did was anything more than the Clippers wearing their warm ups inside out.

And I don't agree with athletes using the field to push their own political/religious/social agendas. I'm there to watch a game.

What happens when a player wants to push his anti-gay stance? Will the lack of respect given to said player be something we should all be above?

Just not a fan of it. Especially when it's day or 3 late anyway.
TheFranchise#24MVP
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Sorry, I don't really think what they did was anything more than the Clippers wearing their warm ups inside out.

And I don't agree with athletes using the field to push their own political/religious/social agendas. I'm there to watch a game.

What happens when a player wants to push his anti-gay stance? Will the lack of respect given to said player be something we should all be above?

Totally acceptable. I wasnt saying that I was a fan of it either. I was pointing out that whether or not we agree or disagree with their statement, we should respect the fact that a young man died and the players in the NBA and NFL are making their own statement. And the Statement is loud and clear.

I do however agree with your stance on the anti-gay comment. I do not think there is a place in sports for politics/race/religion or sexual orientation. I too am there to watch a game. But as I said, in today's digital world, where things are happening around the clock, and its constantly in the news...its just the begininng of athletes using their forum to express their views whether we agree its the correct forum or not

"Know this above all else....Fully use every point, moment, and hour that you have. Time waits for no man...."

vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Bryant and the Lakers followed the lead of LeBron James, Derrick Rose, Kevin Garnett

ESPN had made sure Lebron was the leader of all leaders.
TheFranchise#24MVP
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Quote:
Bryant and the Lakers followed the lead of LeBron James, Derrick Rose, Kevin Garnett

ESPN had made sure Lebron was the leader of all leaders.

I did see that, but rather than read that portion of the "headline" - i read what Kobe said and heard the commentary from ESPN Lebron Lovers like Steven A and Skip and they all dramatically praised Kobe on his statement, as did Dan Patrick.

Again, not trying to make this issue any bigger than it is - but when its on the front page of CNN two nights in a row, and on the front page of CNNSI and ESPN. I think that says something.

However, my personal stance is that I do not think that players should use that forum to display their stance or support.

I believe it can and should be handled more appropriately with the NBAPA involved, as well as the NBA itself. I guarantee after the entire Lakers team (excluding Sacre) did it - everyone will now follow suit since Adam Silver said he would not fine them for not wearing NBA branded Adidas apparel prior to games, and these shirts will go mainstream.

Its just today's world. The whole point of my comment was the following:

*Lets not joke about the message being sent whether we agree or not, because a young man did die, and most of us (inclduing myself cant sit here and say I know all the facts behind Eric Garner's death

*Lets praise Kobe, like the media has for giving the absolute best perspective as to why it was done, and how its a personal choice and statement

*Lastly, I do agree there are better forums for NBA players and NFL players alike to voice their opinion off the field and court. But, to them its the most polarizing way to reach the gigantic audience that both leagues have.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Totally acceptable. I wasnt saying that I was a fan of it either. I was pointing out that whether or not we agree or disagree with their statement, we should respect the fact that a young man died and the players in the NBA and NFL are making their own statement. And the Statement is loud and clear.

I do however agree with your stance on the anti-gay comment. I do not think there is a place in sports for politics/race/religion or sexual orientation. I too am there to watch a game. But as I said, in today's digital world, where things are happening around the clock, and its constantly in the news...its just the begininng of athletes using their forum to express their views whether we agree its the correct forum or not

I'm fine with the athletes expressing their thoughts and opinions on their own social media outlets. That's off the court and I don't typically follow individual athletes there anyway.

I kind of rolled my eyes when I heard they were doing this. It's like that guy who says "OMG, have you seen this??" and sends you the Gangnam Style video. What? Old news pal. And no need to wear your Boston Strong shirt to the next game there either.

Lebron, Rose and a number of others had already done this for days. If you want to send a message, then you have to be the first, that's what gets the buzz going, people talking, and that's what drives awareness of the issue you support. Hopping on to the bandwagon could mean you're a real fan, or it could mean, you're just hopping on the bandwagon. That's why being the first is so important.

If you're going to do something like that, ya gotta do it right and we did it wrong.
TheFranchise#24MVP
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I'm fine with the athletes expressing their thoughts and opinions on their own social media outlets. That's off the court and I don't typically follow individual athletes there anyway.

I kind of rolled my eyes when I heard they were doing this. It's like that guy who says "OMG, have you seen this??" and sends you the Gangnam Style video. What? Old news pal. And no need to wear your Boston Strong shirt to the next game there either.

Lebron, Rose and a number of others had already done this for days. If you want to send a message, then you have to be the first, that's what gets the buzz going, people talking, and that's what drives awareness of the issue you support. Hopping on to the bandwagon could mean you're a real fan, or it could mean, you're just hopping on the bandwagon. That's why being the first is so important.

If you're going to do something like that, ya gotta do it right and we did it wrong.

D-Rose did it first on Saturday at home. Lebron and the cavs did it on the road against Brooklyn on Monday with the Royal family in town, and this was our first game since D-Rose first did it Saturday. I agree being first is always the most polarizing.

But - D-Rose was solo

Some nets wore it

Lebron and Kyrie only wore it

Kobe requested them for his entire TEAM and gave them the option. They were the FIRST FULL team (i mean Sacre not doing it is his choice).

But I see what you're saying

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

D-Rose did it first on Saturday at home. Lebron and the cavs did it on the road against Brooklyn on Monday with the Royal family in town, and this was our first game since D-Rose first did it Saturday. I agree being first is always the most polarizing.

But - D-Rose was solo

Some nets wore it

Kobe requested them for his entire TEAM and gave them the option. They were the FIRST FULL team (i mean Sacre not doing it is his choice).

Did you sleep straight through Sunday? =)

In any event, glad it's over and I hope they never do it again. Go push prop 40-whatever on your twitter account!
TheFranchise#24MVP
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

But - D-Rose was solo

Some nets wore it

Did you sleep straight through Sunday? =)

In any event, glad it's over and I hope they never do it again. Go push prop 40-whatever on your twitter account!

They were on the road Sunday night, less than 24 hours after D-Rose did it. Again I dont support it, and I wont argue with you about the politics of it. I simply said..

*Knock it off guys whether you agree with it or you dont. I said I didnt agree with their statement but they have a choice and they chose that route. To clown on the statement they CHOSE to make with jokes when someone died, its just a little stupid of everyone to make jokes about the whole "I cant breathe" statement.

So thats all I was trying to say - while also trying to give love to Kobe for a very well said statement on why he did what he did.

Period. I think I said it about 47 times I dont agree with Sports and mixing these issues. I dont agree with the move. But dont joke around and say

They wore it because "I cant breathe....on defense, because we play none"

Like really? Thats all I got. I dont agree with the move, dont think theyll do it again, and would have preferred they chose a different independent approach.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: