Arenas' gun possession linked to confrontation with Crittenton
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Senor Mortgage wrote:
Actually, as bizarre as it sounds, this is great news for the Wizards. Much like VladRad's snowboarding injury, the Wizards may have just had their Christmas wish granted and been given a magical opt out of that horrible contract.

I doubt they'd be able to pull that off.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Clowns man, pulling guns on their team mates. I mean, do these guys not realize that they live the lives that young kids who look up to them dream of.

They are rich, loved by millions of fans, and able to play the game that they are supposed to love as a job.

You know, people like them just don't appreciate exactly what it is they have, and throw it away on this BS.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Striking resemblance to the Alexander Hamilton/Aaron Burr duel in 1804 over defamation of character. I believe it was Burr who said "I am not your punk!"
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Striking resemblance to the Alexander Hamilton/Aaron Burr duel in 1804 over defamation of character. I believe it was Burr who said "I am not your punk!"

Maybe he just said: "Got milk?"

!...
Nada
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Gilbert is twittering hard
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject:

This is all I have to say
Brandon98
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject:

I know Arenas loves to shoot, but this is ridiculous...
showtimelakers04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject:

I find this story too hard to believe. I know pro athletes do dumb (bleep) all the time but pulling a gun in the lockeroom?? NOBODY is that stupid, at least I hope
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject:

I have a feeling we're going to find out the guns weren't loaded and they'll try to play it off like they were just joking around.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
They're making a big deal of this. Jayson Williams once shot a handgun in the parking lot of the Meadowlands Arena and he turned out just fine.

Worked out fine for Stephen Jackson too.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Senor Mortgage wrote:
Actually, as bizarre as it sounds, this is great news for the Wizards. Much like VladRad's snowboarding injury, the Wizards may have just had their Christmas wish granted and been given a magical opt out of that horrible contract.

I was thinking the same thing, though I am sure it would have to withstand a lawsuit from the union.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
I find it hard to believe Crittenton would be involved in anything with a teammate requiring guns.

Do you know him?

Everyone knows JCritt can't shoot.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject:

LakerLegend wrote:
I wonder what would happen if they were both students in college or at a high school...I'm quite sure they would no longer be students there, or what about if this happened on your job...I'm quite sure they would both be fired and probably tossed in jail for some amount of time. However, this is the NBA, "Where different rules happen."

Luckily I work as a cattle rustler, so that kind of thing is expected at the office.
Clutch44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Senor Mortgage wrote:

I was thinking the same thing, though I am sure it would have to withstand a lawsuit from the union.

True, but if local law enforcement brings charges against him and get a conviction, it will definitely set the table for such action to take place. Agent Zero isn't helping his case by making light of the situation on twitter, as with all cases dealing with media and sports figures the local agencies are under a microscope to do the right thing. If Gilbert continues to be arrogant about the whole issue, this could backfire on him quick.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Here's a thought.... Could all of this be Arenas' roundabout way of telling Shaq you're effing with the wrong dude? Sometimes, you don't need to confront your real foe, but just cause a scene in front of the foe so he can see how crazy you are.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Clutch44 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Senor Mortgage wrote:

True, but if local law enforcement brings charges against him and get a conviction, it will definitely set the table for such action to take place. Agent Zero isn't helping his case by making light of the situation on twitter, as with all cases dealing with media and sports figures the local agencies are under a microscope to do the right thing. If Gilbert continues to be arrogant about the whole issue, this could backfire on him quick.
Unfortunately for these two dick-heads, if true, this incident occurred in DC... local law enforcement is working with the U.S. Attorney's Office.

And again if true... you have to ask, how many players carry guns into the lockerroom; I'm sure these two knuckleheads aren't the only two in the whole league.

This is a can of worms Stern would rather leave close, with good reason...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Clutch44 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Senor Mortgage wrote:

Unfortunately for these two dick-heads, if true, this incident occurred in DC... local law enforcement is working with the U.S. Attorney's Office.

And again if true... you have to ask, how many players carry guns into the lockerroom; I'm sure these two knuckleheads aren't the only two in the whole league.

Adding to your point if this is the case that its a league wide problem then how come it took this long for something like this to come out.

It makes you wonder...
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject:

You tell the NBA I'm comin. And you tell 'em hell's COMIN WITH ME! Y'HEAR?! HELL'S COMIN' WITH ME!

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Born and Raised in Los Angeles, now living in Manhattan, NY.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
I find it hard to believe Crittenton would be involved in anything with a teammate requiring guns.

Do you know him?

Did you ever hear anything bad about him as a laker? Plus you can't deny the fact that its a strange story.

Strange story? Yes.

On the other hand...dude was a Laker for one season. One. And as about as irrelevant as one could get for a Laker...despite the fact that Lg for some ridiculously absurd reason still has an infatuation with the guy.

That's one of the mysteries of LG. I never understood the fascination with this guy.
rchanou
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject:

Bballguru5000 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:

Do you know him?

Did you ever hear anything bad about him as a laker? Plus you can't deny the fact that its a strange story.

Strange story? Yes.

On the other hand...dude was a Laker for one season. One. And as about as irrelevant as one could get for a Laker...despite the fact that Lg for some ridiculously absurd reason still has an infatuation with the guy.

That's one of the mysteries of LG. I never understood the fascination with this guy.

LG has fascinations with all sorts of people.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
TACH wrote:
Clutch44 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Senor Mortgage wrote:

Adding to your point if this is the case that its a league wide problem then how come it took this long for something like this to come out.

It makes you wonder...

Here is where I'm a little confused....

Quote:
Updated: December 25, 2009, 3:14 PM ET
Wizards: Arenas had firearms in locker
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas stored unloaded firearms in a container in his locker, according to the team, and the NBA is looking into the situation.

The Wizards issued a statement Thursday night saying there was no ammunition in the locked container, and Arenas and the team have notified authorities and the league.

Officer Quintin Peterson, a spokesman for the Washington police department, said Thursday night there was no report of any active investigation involving Arenas.

The team and the three-time All-Star "are cooperating fully with law enforcement during its review of this matter and will have no further comment at this time," according to the Wizards' statement.

CBSSportsline.com first reported the investigation.

Wizards spokesman Scott Hall wouldn't say when or where Arenas had the guns in his locker. But speaking by phone to The Washington Times on Thursday night, Arenas said that the incident in question happened about two weeks ago.

"It happened like Dec. 10. Right after my daughter was born," Arenas said. "I decided I didn't want the guns in my house and around the kids anymore, so I took them to my lockbox at Verizon Center. Then like a week later, I turned them over to team security and told them to hand them over to the police, because I don't want them anymore. I wouldn't have brought them to D.C. had I known the rules. After my daughter was born, I was just like, I don't need these anymore."

The NBA's collective bargaining agreement allows for players to legally possess firearms but prohibits them at league facilities or when traveling on any league-related business.

"We're aware of the situation and are working to gain a full understanding of the facts and relevant legal issues," the NBA said in a release.

Los Angeles Clippers guard Sebastian Telfair was suspended for two games and fined an undisclosed amount in 2006 after a loaded handgun registered to his girlfriend was found in his pillowcase aboard the team's plane when he was with Portland.

Arenas scored 18 points in Washington's 109-97 victory at Milwaukee on Wednesday night. The 6-foot-4, 215-pound Arenas is averaging 22.2 points after being limited to 15 games during the past two seasons following three operations on his left knee over 1½years.

Arenas, who turns 28 on Jan. 6 and is in the second season of a six-year, $111 million contract, is one of the NBA's most popular players, but a series of injuries has limited his time on the court. Nicknamed Agent Zero, he has a career average of 22.7 points over nine NBA seasons.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

So on or around Dec. 10th he brought the weapons to the Verizon Center, and a week before X-Mas (the story was dated the 25th so around the 17th or 18th) he turned them into Wizards/NBA Security, but on the 21st he allegedly showed/pulled a gun on Critt? The timeline seems a little off...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Pathetic, dude was on his way to earning an easy living off his albatross of a contract. And he screws it up all over a silly card game with a teammate whom he owes a couple thousand dollars. Stupidity knows no bounds for rich athletes.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject:

This could be taken to a grand jury

http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/04/gilbert-arenas-javaris-crittenton-nba-gun-grand-jury/#comments
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Black community suffers most from Arenas’ stupidity
(via FoxSports.com)
Gilbert Arenas is not the latest idiot on the block. His recent choices just make it seem that way.

It’s bad enough the franchise player for the Washington Wizards brought a few guns into an NBA arena — and tweeted about it either before consulting his legal representation or simply ignoring the consultation he undoubtedly received. But when you consider the allegations presently being publicized regarding his brandishing a gun at teammate Jarvaris Crittendon, Arenas’ admission of “goofball” tendencies and his willingness to laugh it off, seemingly oblivious to the legal ramifications coming down the pike, this level of idiocy would put Forrest Gump to shame. If only it was a laughing matter.

Let’s be clear. By no means am I trying to say this is only a BLACK problem. That Black athletes have a monopoly on stupid acts. Nevertheless, they’re the ones stigmatized and excoriated. And our young are the ones most drastically affected by their actions. Considering the fact that you’re already at a disadvantage as a minority, what else can occur but the worst possible results?

By his own tweeted admission, Arenas has already violated gun laws within the District of Columbia. Laws that pertained to him carrying and concealing a weapon. Because he lives in Virginia but works in D.C., he also may have violated laws regarding carrying weapons across state lines, which explains why the U.S. Attorney’s Office is now reportedly involved in the matter, communicating with D.C.’s Metro Police Department.

Notice I haven’t even touched on the possibility that Arenas’ gun(s) were not licensed in D.C.

Meanwhile, there’s also the issue of whether, indeed, Arenas brandished a gun in a threatening manner at Crittendon. Whether Crittendon, in response, brandished his own concealed weapon (which, if true, it says here, will end Crittendon’s NBA career) or instead tried to grab one of Arenas’ guns. And there’s been no mention of Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld reportedly telling the league about guns being in the locker room but failing to reveal a confrontation involving the guns, along with the potential consequences any truth to those allegations in the New York Post may entail.

“There won’t be any,” a league official said, speaking on condition of anonymity, specifically about Grunfeld Sunday afternoon. “Whatever has been reported accurately was already revealed to us by Ernie. We have no issue with anything involving Mr. Grunfeld.”

Good. One potential mess no one needs to concern themselves with.

But the mess that Arenas has created is not going away. Nor are the questions destined to follow about professional athletes, specifically those from the African-American Community — and how the criminal element has virtually hijacked the culture of Black America.

As much as I’ve tried to disagree with my friend and noted contemporary, Jason Whitlock, who’s repeatedly and vociferously lamented the state of affairs within the Black Community — specifically as it pertains to the negative parts of Hip Hop and its influence on Black culture — it simply cannot be denied any longer.

Genocide is taking place in the Black Community, and this is a form of it.

For every foolish act like Plaxico Burress, Ron Artest or Arenas, there’s a Grant Hill, Shane Battier or LeBron James — guys who will be employing Black athletes one day, either in an executive or ownership capacity.

But their behavior is not what is influencing Black America’s youth, specifically its cultural ambience. It’s the culture of tattoos (jailhouse or otherwise) enjoying increased prevalence and notoriety. This hyper-masculinity syndrome. This alpha-male environment that stimulates the worst in an educated individual like Crittendon (Georgia Tech), preventing a sensible young man raised by both of his parents from walking away from a crazy incident that could cost him millions in potential earnings. Even worse, it’s jeopardized the career of Arenas and his six-year, $111million contract, plus an additional $50 million deal with adidas allegedly over a gambling debt that amounted to less than $500.

“It’s truly sickening,” one African-American front-office official told me Sunday afternoon. “There’s just no excuse for this. This is a $4 billion industry guys are trying to turn into a $2 billion industry. There’s just a flagrant lack of appreciation for the position they’re in … mainly because of someone wanting to look more like a man, not be punked, acting literally like prisoners locked in a prison yard with one another. It’s utterly ridiculous.

“I don’t know how anyone would feel about this, because some folks truly believe we won’t have these problems if the league reduced the maximum years of guaranteed deals down to just three years. I’ll go a step further …

“Lock the damn players out. Shut the league down for a year and see what happens when these guys are not cutting these checks. I bet you the few who don’t act right will straighten up then.”

Sadly, we can only suspect there’s truth to that argument.

The argument that can no longer be made, however, is that actions like the one Arenas committed are just that of the few. Not because it’s untrue, but because few people care. Mainstream media didn’t spend the weekend bantering about Arenas. They used Arenas to bloviate about “why do these athletes carry guns?”

It’s the same question they asked about Plaxico Burress, while he was walking into a jail cell.

It gave them an excuse to bring up Michael Vick, even though his crime involved dog fighting.

It provided an excuse to bring up Ron Artest, the league’s $5.8 million average salary (highest of any sports league), feeding the rationale for a debate about whether too much is given too soon to too many who are too undeserving.

This is a battle the league has fought for years. One that Commissioner David Stern has fought so brilliantly for nearly 27 years that he should be an icon in the Black Community. Except Stern won’t be, of course, because of the punishment he’ll predictably bring down upon Arenas once the Wizards’ troubled star receives due process — though it’s appropriate for Stern to step in.

Stern will be the villain, then. Not Arenas. Definitely not in the eyes of Black America.

The thing is, the time has come for the Black Community to join Stern in his fight against such utter nonsense.

Arenas is a nice man. He’s not a bad guy. We should pray for him and wish him well. But that’s after he is suspended for a year without pay and the legal system gets through dealing with him. Unless, of course, we want Rush Limbaugh’s comments about the NFL resembling “The Bloods and the Crips … without any weapons” to allude to another league dominated by young Black men!

Via FoxSports.com: http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/Stephen-A-Smith-Arenas-analysis-010310

Monday, January 4th, 2010 at 8:43 am
by Stephen A.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Wow

---George Carlin
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: