Arenas' gun possession linked to confrontation with Crittenton
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Statcat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Wow

Stephen A.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject:

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Wow

Should the NBA change to the NBRA, National Basketball and Rifle Association?

I am sick of all this gun stuf....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Here's a thought.... Could all of this be Arenas' roundabout way of telling Shaq you're effing with the wrong dude? Sometimes, you don't need to confront your real foe, but just cause a scene in front of the foe so he can see how crazy you are.

That would make sense.

Arenas shows Shaq that he's so crazy that Shaq never visits him in jail.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject:

According to TMZ, Gilbert didn't even have a gun license

http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/05/gilbert-arenas-nba-gun-unlicensed-weapon-assault/#comments
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Karl Malone speaks on the matter

Quote:
NBA legend Malone offers thoughts on alleged Wizards gun incident

Story Highlights
Former NBA star Karl Malone is a member of the National Rifle Association
According to him, people shouldn't own guns unless they're educated about them
David Stern needs to take a stance on the Arenas incident for the NBA to recover
PRINT EMAIL Buzz up! FACEBOOK DIGG TWITTER RSS SHARE

By Karl Malone, Special to SI.com
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
Karl Malone
Karl Malone, who retired in 2004, was a two-time MVP and 13-time All-Star.
Jeff Gross/Getty Images

Former NBA star Karl Malone is an avid hunter who publicly declared his advocacy of the right to bear arms by becoming a spokesman for the National Rifle Association. SI.com asked Malone for his thoughts on the situation involving three-time All-Star Gilbert Arenas, who acknowledged Monday that he stored unloaded guns at the Verizon Center in Washington, D.C., and said he displayed them in front of Wizards teammate as "a misguided effort to play a joke."

The report that Arenas and teammate Javaris Crittenton had allegedly pulled guns on each other was one of the worst things I've ever seen come across the TV. All the years I played, I've never heard of anything like this alleged incident or of a player bringing guns into the locker room. Doing that in the locker room, with so much that can happen? It's one of those things you just don't do. I can't make any sense of that. You can't tell me one good thing that can happen with a gun in an arena, but I can tell you a thousand bad things.

If I'm a player on that team, of course, I'm saying to those guys, "What the hell are you doing?" Even if, as Arenas insists, he brought the guns to the arena because he wanted them away from his children at home, I wouldn't have bought that excuse. Buy a safe. Put them in there. End of story.

The NBA can't sweep something like that under the rug. To me, this is another example of a dark cloud that we can never seem to get over. When I say "we," I mean the NBA. I'm still an NBA player; I'm just retired. The amazing thing to me is, it seems just when the league has a little bit of positivity, then we have one big negative and it reflects on all the players. Now people think every NBA player is carrying firearms into the locker room. I guess the next thing is that instead of us walking around those metal detectors in arenas, we should start walking through them. So many kids are doing it the right way in the league, but you get linked with one guy making one mistake.

This is bigger than a guns-in-the-locker-room story, because supposedly the alleged altercation stemmed from a gambling debt. I used to play cards with teammates, and you're not just playing for the sake of it. You're playing for money, but I never won or lost to the point I was angry with my teammates and wanted to fight or pull a gun.

With regard to discipline, commissioner David Stern is the only one who can attempt to fix this, and he has to be the one to make the statement -- in the same way that Roger Goodell treats disciplinary situations with the NFL. I absolutely love the way Goodell handles things. I know people don't really like what Goodell has done in certain cases, but they respect him because he'll tell you why he did it. I don't want to seem like I'm bashing Stern, because I'm not, but that's what people want to see.

I don't want to see Arenas made an example of, but this is not just a minor situation, and if we say that, it's ridiculous. This is one of those times that the league needs to say, "We will not condone this." Guys need to be proud of being an NBA player. Being in the NBA is a great thing. The league owes us nothing. We owe what we have to the NBA. Take your job seriously, have a sense of urgency to get people back in the stands. People are waiting to see how the commissioner handles it. They don't want to hear from anyone but him.

I like Arenas, but his initial reaction to this, in which he downplayed the seriousness of having guns in the locker room, was all wrong. It's wrong to make light of a firearm. That's when mistakes are made. 'Fess up, and don't blow it off like it wasn't a mistake. Say, "I made a terrible mistake with a gun. I need to make it right." This is nothing to be laughing about.

Once again, gun owners get a bad rap. We're good people; we're not back in the Old West. I got my first gun when I was 8 years old -- an old .410 single shot. I've been around them all the time ever since, and I'm a member of the NRA. I love guns, and I respect guns. I have them in a secure place. When I was in Utah, I took all the necessary training with the gun and had my concealed-weapons permit, and I'll be the first to tell you I don't go anywhere in my vehicle without my weapon, but at no point has it ever occurred to me to take it inside anywhere, let alone an arena.

Unfortunately, we always hear bad things about guns. But guns don't kill people -- people kill people. I'm not saying that everybody should have guns, but I will tell you this: If you're willing to go through the training and proper procedure to have guns, then they're fine.

But if I were a gun dealer and somebody walked in and said, "I want this for protection," I don't know if I would sell it to that person, because that person's only thinking about another confrontation. The people who get threatened or cut off in their car and think about their guns are the people who don't need a gun. My grandfather, Leonard Jackson, once told me, "Karl, remember this, son: If you ever pull a gun, be prepared to fire that gun, because the person you pull that gun on has every right to pull a gun on you." He told me that when I was 6 and I didn't even have a gun yet.

The big picture is that guns won't protect you. If someone really wanted to get you, they would. If you still feel you need that protection, get yourself a bodyguard who knows the rules and knows the laws. How about you do all of that before you even consider having a gun? For you to say you need a gun for your protection? My goodness gracious, how are you living that you need that? I don't know where all these guys grew up, or who wants to do something to them, but be honest about why you want it. If you need a gun for that, that's for all the wrong reasons and something bad will come from it.

If I seem a little fired up, I am. It's a privilege to own a firearm and I take offense when people don't handle their business the right way.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/01/05/karl.malone.arenas/index.html?xid=si_topstories#ixzz0blrWDLK3
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject:

This was on Letterman last night

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Karl Malone speaks on the matter

Quote:
NBA legend Malone offers thoughts on alleged Wizards gun incident

Story Highlights
Former NBA star Karl Malone is a member of the National Rifle Association
According to him, people shouldn't own guns unless they're educated about them
David Stern needs to take a stance on the Arenas incident for the NBA to recover
PRINT EMAIL Buzz up! FACEBOOK DIGG TWITTER RSS SHARE

By Karl Malone, Special to SI.com
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
Karl Malone
Karl Malone, who retired in 2004, was a two-time MVP and 13-time All-Star.
Jeff Gross/Getty Images

Former NBA star Karl Malone is an avid hunter who publicly declared his advocacy of the right to bear arms by becoming a spokesman for the National Rifle Association. SI.com asked Malone for his thoughts on the situation involving three-time All-Star Gilbert Arenas, who acknowledged Monday that he stored unloaded guns at the Verizon Center in Washington, D.C., and said he displayed them in front of Wizards teammate as "a misguided effort to play a joke."

The report that Arenas and teammate Javaris Crittenton had allegedly pulled guns on each other was one of the worst things I've ever seen come across the TV. All the years I played, I've never heard of anything like this alleged incident or of a player bringing guns into the locker room. Doing that in the locker room, with so much that can happen? It's one of those things you just don't do. I can't make any sense of that. You can't tell me one good thing that can happen with a gun in an arena, but I can tell you a thousand bad things.

If I'm a player on that team, of course, I'm saying to those guys, "What the hell are you doing?" Even if, as Arenas insists, he brought the guns to the arena because he wanted them away from his children at home, I wouldn't have bought that excuse. Buy a safe. Put them in there. End of story.

The NBA can't sweep something like that under the rug. To me, this is another example of a dark cloud that we can never seem to get over. When I say "we," I mean the NBA. I'm still an NBA player; I'm just retired. The amazing thing to me is, it seems just when the league has a little bit of positivity, then we have one big negative and it reflects on all the players. Now people think every NBA player is carrying firearms into the locker room. I guess the next thing is that instead of us walking around those metal detectors in arenas, we should start walking through them. So many kids are doing it the right way in the league, but you get linked with one guy making one mistake.

This is bigger than a guns-in-the-locker-room story, because supposedly the alleged altercation stemmed from a gambling debt. I used to play cards with teammates, and you're not just playing for the sake of it. You're playing for money, but I never won or lost to the point I was angry with my teammates and wanted to fight or pull a gun.

With regard to discipline, commissioner David Stern is the only one who can attempt to fix this, and he has to be the one to make the statement -- in the same way that Roger Goodell treats disciplinary situations with the NFL. I absolutely love the way Goodell handles things. I know people don't really like what Goodell has done in certain cases, but they respect him because he'll tell you why he did it. I don't want to seem like I'm bashing Stern, because I'm not, but that's what people want to see.

I don't want to see Arenas made an example of, but this is not just a minor situation, and if we say that, it's ridiculous. This is one of those times that the league needs to say, "We will not condone this." Guys need to be proud of being an NBA player. Being in the NBA is a great thing. The league owes us nothing. We owe what we have to the NBA. Take your job seriously, have a sense of urgency to get people back in the stands. People are waiting to see how the commissioner handles it. They don't want to hear from anyone but him.

I like Arenas, but his initial reaction to this, in which he downplayed the seriousness of having guns in the locker room, was all wrong. It's wrong to make light of a firearm. That's when mistakes are made. 'Fess up, and don't blow it off like it wasn't a mistake. Say, "I made a terrible mistake with a gun. I need to make it right." This is nothing to be laughing about.

Once again, gun owners get a bad rap. We're good people; we're not back in the Old West. I got my first gun when I was 8 years old -- an old .410 single shot. I've been around them all the time ever since, and I'm a member of the NRA. I love guns, and I respect guns. I have them in a secure place. When I was in Utah, I took all the necessary training with the gun and had my concealed-weapons permit, and I'll be the first to tell you I don't go anywhere in my vehicle without my weapon, but at no point has it ever occurred to me to take it inside anywhere, let alone an arena.

Unfortunately, we always hear bad things about guns. But guns don't kill people -- people kill people. I'm not saying that everybody should have guns, but I will tell you this: If you're willing to go through the training and proper procedure to have guns, then they're fine.

But if I were a gun dealer and somebody walked in and said, "I want this for protection," I don't know if I would sell it to that person, because that person's only thinking about another confrontation. The people who get threatened or cut off in their car and think about their guns are the people who don't need a gun. My grandfather, Leonard Jackson, once told me, "Karl, remember this, son: If you ever pull a gun, be prepared to fire that gun, because the person you pull that gun on has every right to pull a gun on you." He told me that when I was 6 and I didn't even have a gun yet.

The big picture is that guns won't protect you. If someone really wanted to get you, they would. If you still feel you need that protection, get yourself a bodyguard who knows the rules and knows the laws. How about you do all of that before you even consider having a gun? For you to say you need a gun for your protection? My goodness gracious, how are you living that you need that? I don't know where all these guys grew up, or who wants to do something to them, but be honest about why you want it. If you need a gun for that, that's for all the wrong reasons and something bad will come from it.

If I seem a little fired up, I am. It's a privilege to own a firearm and I take offense when people don't handle their business the right way.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/01/05/karl.malone.arenas/index.html?xid=si_topstories#ixzz0blrWDLK3
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Wow Karl. So many great points.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject:

LINK

Quote:

We're told there were four guns in Arenas' locker that were turned over to police, including a gold-plated Desert Eagle -- a gigantic handgun.

Really Gil? A gold-plated Desert Eagle? Really?
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Here's a thought.... Could all of this be Arenas' roundabout way of telling Shaq you're effing with the wrong dude? Sometimes, you don't need to confront your real foe, but just cause a scene in front of the foe so he can see how crazy you are.

Shaq isn't worried about Arenas having a firearm. Do you realize how hard it is to get your hands on an elephant gun?

Now if Arenas had a harpoon...
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
NBA Suspends Gilbert Arenas Indefinitely Without Pay in Gun Case
2010-01-06 20:56:32.340 GMT

By Mason Levinson
Jan. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Gilbert Arenas of the Wasington
Wizards was suspended indefinitely without pay by the National
Basketball Association as it investigates his possession of guns
in the team’s locker room.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Expected.

Gil's a freaking idiot and is going to pay the price as he should.
Lakersarethebesteva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
LINK

Quote:

We're told there were four guns in Arenas' locker that were turned over to police, including a gold-plated Desert Eagle -- a gigantic handgun.

Really Gil? A gold-plated Desert Eagle? Really?

I getz mines custom- Arenas
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Expected.

Gil's a freaking idiot and is going to pay the price as he should.

Quite a price indeed. $147K per game and $95K per day he's missing out on during this suspension.
LakerEidos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/12030/imaginary-guns-real-issues

Quote:
Gilbert Arenas didn't help his case with David Stern when he formed play guns with his thumbs and index fingers and fired away during the Wizards' pregame introductions in Philadelphia Tuesday night

What an idiot.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, you really don't want to mess with the NBA's image and then make light of doing it afterward.

I can't think of anything he could have possibly done that would piss off Stern more than that.

Dude wanted to mess around with guns and got both barrels in response.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Yeah, you really don't want to mess with the NBA's image and then make light of doing it afterward.

I can't think of anything he could have possibly done that would piss off Stern more than that.

Dude wanted to mess around with guns and got both barrels in response.

Stern:

"Although it is clear that the actions of Mr. Arenas will ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse, his ongoing conduct has led me to conclude that he is not currently fit to take the court in an NBA game... "

Between his tweets, public statements, and on court antics, Stern had very little choice....
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24312447/gilbert-arenas-says-gun-incident-trash-talking-not-money

Quote:
Gilbert Arenas says beef with Javaris Crittenton from trash talk
play

Gilbert Arenas says that trash talking during a card game popular around the NBA -- not money -- led to a gun showdown with then-Washington Wizards teammate Javaris Crittenton in December 2009.

Speaking in depth about the situation for the first time, Arenas told The Action Network that he and Crittenton were playing a cross between poker and spades called bourré (also spelled "booray") on a team flight when things got heated.

Crittenton was already losing hands when Arenas joined the game, and the leader of the team saw a chance to take advantage of the younger player.

"I mean, this man was bleeding. I'm already hyped because there's $1,100 in the pot," Arenas said, according to the website. "I smell the blood. ... I came in on my deal, and already he's f---ing livid. He's all heat. 'This is bulls---! How you gonna get in the game now?!' He's upset because he started thinking about the odds, and he's the last person to get the cards."

Like he did on the court, Arenas started needling the other players.

"I'm talking my good old s---. 'Ooooh yeah, baby, don't fall asleep now,'" he said. "When anyone was getting killed, I'd hit the stewardess button. 'Oh no, we have a jumper. Tell the pilot! We have a jumper, people!' And Javaris is 1,000 degrees hot. But everyone knows my style. I'm gonna keep poking. I want you f---ed up."

Arenas figured out that teammate JaVale McGee had a big hand and got out, but Crittenton was rattled and hung around to get beat again. Crittenton was angry that McGee wouldn't give him a chance to get his money back, and Arenas joined the argument.

"I was like, 'Javaris, I will burn your car, while you're in it. Then we'll find an extinguisher to help ya ass out,'" Arenas said, according to the website. "And he says, 'Well, I'll just shoot you then.' I said, 'Man, I'll bring you the guns to shoot me!'"

Two days later, Arenas brought four guns to the locker room.

"It was about me calling his bluff," Arenas said. "You say you're going to shoot me? Fine, I'll bring you the guns to do it."

Crittenton pulled a loaded gun of his own and cleared the locker room. Ultimately, nobody was injured, but Arenas, Crittenton and the Wizards were never the same again.

Both players were given probation on gun charges and suspended for the rest of that season. Crittenton never played in the NBA again. In 2015, he was sentenced to 23 years in prison for the gang-related shooting death of a mother of four.

The Wizards traded Arenas to Orlando the season after the incident. He had averaged close to 30 points per game in his prime, but he stumbled to an injury-plagued finish. He was out of the league after the 2011-12 season.

Arenas finally wanted to set the record straight about the gun incident, though. He had plenty of money, so reports that the confrontation was rooted in a gambling debt were not right, he says. It was about the game and the competitiveness of NBA players that spills off the court.

"It was about the s--- talking while I was losing," Arenas told The Action Network. "It was like someone scoring on you every time down. I'm the designated s--- talker. I could be down $40,000, but if I irritated someone so bad they feel like they lost $20K? I'm happy. I won. I don't feel like the biggest loser of the night."
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Here's a thread that really needed bumping 8-1/2 years later...
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Here's a thread that really needed bumping 8-1/2 years later...

I thought so just in case anyone forgot about this.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
I find it hard to believe Crittenton would be involved in anything with a teammate requiring guns.

Do you know him?

Did you ever hear anything bad about him as a laker? Plus you can't deny the fact that its a strange story.

Dude is in jail for killing someone with a gun? I know it was called involuntary but this guy is a creep thug.

Strange? Sure! Doubtful? Hardly!
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject:

Lose 1,100 bucks
Lose another G to a 12 year old Javale (bleep) Mcgee
Get guns pulled on you
Get kicked off the team
Never play another NBA game again
Spend 23 years in a federal prison

Props to Arenas for probably the most masterful execution of putting another player on tilt in the history of card playing.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject:

never amazes me of people who get the opportunity to live like a millionaire on the right side of the law but rather still live like a thug
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: