Why do you guys care what people say about Kobe?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beamer991
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Why do you guys care what people say about Kobe?

Seriously. Why do you guys care what espn or Simmons or anyone else say about Kobe? Obviously Kobe himself doesn't care what anyone says. He's proven himslef year in year out. He knows that and you should know that as well. You guys should know by now that all the negative articles about Kobe are written to generate more views. He has 5 rings. That's all that matters. So please stop with all the 'espn said this' or this guy said 'kobe is no more'. Just enjoy what he's accomplished and be happy.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject:

It is just amazing to me that after all he has done these years, or "proven" as you wrote, that these guys who brainwash youths every day pumping out seemingly endless hype and anecdotes, still simply refuse to give the man his due.
Arbitrary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
It is just amazing to me that after all he has done these years, or "proven" as you wrote, that these guys who brainwash youths every day pumping out seemingly endless hype and anecdotes, still simply refuse to give the man his due.

Indeed.

It's almost all about the stats right now.

"Dominate the stats..."
-LeBronze
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject:

no
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Why do you guys care what people say about Kobe?

Beamer991 wrote:
Seriously. Why do you guys care what espn or Simmons or anyone else say about Kobe? Obviously Kobe himself doesn't care what anyone says. He's proven himslef year in year out. He knows that and you should know that as well. You guys should know by now that all the negative articles about Kobe are written to generate more views. He has 5 rings. That's all that matters. So please stop with all the 'espn said this' or this guy said 'kobe is no more'. Just enjoy what he's accomplished and be happy.

I think the bottom-line answer is a lot of people like to come on the Internet and complain about stuff, and this is an easy and safe thing to complain about so they search out the negative stuff. If the Internet didn't exist, a lot of these people wouldn't read the anti-Kobe pieces, or care that much about them, because they wouldn't have anyway to vent. But really, the whole "Kobe gets no respect" category is just one of several safe and easy topics you can focus on if you want to vent about something here, along with Lebron sucks, the refs and Stern are against us, the media hates us, etc.
brutella
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject:

I don't care what they write or say.

I think the fact that there are people who care so much to email them and read their articles is what fuels them to write those articles anyways. The people who post links to the article on LG is actually helping them.

Once Kobe leaves the game, there will only be talk of his accomplishments and supreme drive to win. He is the last of the dying breed, every hater shall realize this once he had for the exits.
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject:

Why do you care about guys who care about what people say about Kobe?
mandywwm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject:

no
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject:

I don't really care. It's just amusing that the media's trashed Kobe nonstop since 1997. There has to be a record somewhere in there.
thejet24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject:

revgen wrote:

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Why do you guys care what people say about Kobe?

activeverb wrote:
Beamer991 wrote:

I think the bottom-line answer is a lot of people like to come on the Internet and complain about stuff, and this is an easy and safe thing to complain about so they search out the negative stuff. If the Internet didn't exist, a lot of these people wouldn't read the anti-Kobe pieces, or care that much about them, because they wouldn't have anyway to vent. But really, the whole "Kobe gets no respect" category is just one of several safe and easy topics you can focus on if you want to vent about something here, along with Lebron sucks, the refs and Stern are against us, the media hates us, etc.

Oh geez. Talk about projecting.

The bottom line answer is that the internet is so vast that virtually every conceivable opinion has a platform to be expressed. What you choose to focus on is up to you. In your case, it's being contrarian on issues like LeBron, the refs, or a couple of other pet topics.

Furthermore, intense debates involving player's legacies and how they relate to other players goes back nearly 50 years to the Russell/Chamberlain debates. This is nothing new, but the platform is broader.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Why do you guys care what people say about Kobe?

GoldenThroat wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Beamer991 wrote:

The bottom line answer is that the internet is so vast that virtually every conceivable opinion has a platform to be expressed. What you choose to focus on is up to you. In your case, it's being contrarian on issues like LeBron, the refs, or a couple of other pet topics.

Leave ol' verb alone, if it wasn't for those pet topics he'd have nothing to do around here or in life in general.

!...

Last edited by City_Dawg on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Why do you guys care what people say about Kobe?

City_Dawg wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Beamer991 wrote:

Leave ol' verb alone, if it wasn't for those pet topics he'd have nothing to do around here or in life in general.

Like LG's own old faithful, I can always count on him and his pavlovian responses to any one of these topics.
scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject:

revgen wrote:

ahhh maannnnnn, you got to it before me!
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject:

The media has declared Jordan the greatest player of all time, which means that the same media has to be convinced that Kobe is somehow greater. Kobe fans hate the media, but they also are desperate for that same media to adore Kobe, which is the only way for Kobe to be declared "GOAT." That's why they care so much what other people say about him.

The NBA is a player centric league. People are obsessed with all-time rankings.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Why do you guys care what people say about Kobe?

jonnybravo wrote:

Like LG's own old faithful, I can always count on him and his pavlovian responses to any one of these topics.

And I think you are on to why so many here get so riled up about things said about Kobe. I can read a thread title and guess who is in it complaining without even opening it. But Activerb is right, throw the bait out there an you have guaranteed bites.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Why do you guys care what people say about Kobe?

venturalakersfan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

And I think you are on to why so many here get so riled up about things said about Kobe. I can read a thread title and guess who is in it complaining without even opening it. But Activerb is right, throw the bait out there an you have guaranteed bites.

People are naturally bothered when they see inaccurate, dishonest and often negative assessments of any subject, especially when the subject is a notable figure in their circle of interest. This, being a a Lakers forum, would make that figure Kobe Bryant. So when people who are full of (bleep) (you) start talking out of their asses, feathers get ruffled.

Fortunately, you were marked as a rabble rouser in regard to this subject quite some time ago, as were most of the offending sports media mentioned above.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject:

And sometimes bothered at accurate and honest assessments as well, if they feel something they care about has been presented negatively.
DBailey
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
The media has declared Jordan the greatest player of all time...

I'm pretty sure Jordan's on court play is what made him universally thought of as the greatest of all time.

I understand wanting to prop up arguments for Kobe vs Jordan, but they don't really hold water.

Instead of finding unhealthy ways to feel slighted when someone says something contrary about someone you don't know at all who plays a game, why don't you enjoy Kobe for what he is.

He's a fantastically skilled, first ballot hall of famer. A winner who's certainly earned his spot as an all time top-10 player. A guy who has a handful of years left, and who's competitive drive is eclipsed by no one.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject:

DBailey wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I'm pretty sure Jordan's on court play is what made him universally thought of as the greatest of all time.

No, it was the growth of ESPN. If they were in their infant stages in the early 80's, we would be discussing the GOAT, Magic or Bird? The fact that Jordan was named the greatest athlete of the century by ESPN is proof positive of their bias.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject:

DBailey wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I understand wanting to prop up arguments for Kobe vs Jordan, but they don't really hold water.

Instead of finding unhealthy ways to feel slighted when someone says something contrary about someone you don't know at all who plays a game, why don't you enjoy Kobe for what he is.

He's a fantastically skilled, first ballot hall of famer. A winner who's certainly earned his spot as an all time top-10 player. A guy who has a handful of years left, and who's competitive drive is eclipsed by no one.

Media perception goes well beyond a player's abilities on the court. Jordan's personality and charisma matched his incredible on the court abilities, but they're ultimately irrelevant when determining the quality of the player.

Conversely, the perception of players like Kareem & Kobe...who lack that sort of personality...suffer just as guys like Jordan and Shaq have benefited. I have no doubt that if Kareem endeared himself to the media the way that others have, he'd be held in higher regard.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject:

See. This is why we should enforce the 1000-post-to-make-a-thread rule.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject:

DBailey wrote:
Wilt wrote:

It's not as simple as that. It was an organized project by the NBA, Nike, and the media. Millions of people just bought it without even thinking about it, making it a "universal" truth.

Quote:

If that's direct toward me, I don't really care about the issue. Whether Kobe is ranked #1 or #100, it doesn't change anything. Those are all subjective opinions. What matters to me are Laker championships.

Last edited by Wilt on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DBailey wrote:
Wilt wrote:

No, it was the growth of ESPN. If they were in their infant stages in the early 80's, we would be discussing the GOAT, Magic or Bird? The fact that Jordan was named the greatest athlete of the century by ESPN is proof positive of their bias.

Yes, this too. But not due to some built in bias by ESPN, IMO...it's just the fact that Jordan's career coincided with the proliferation of cable TV and the exponential growth of sports media as a whole. It's VERY simple...more people saw Jordan play on a regular basis than those who came before him.

While that can be said to an even greater extent about today's stars, I think the pendulum's been swung in the opposite direction. Kobe & LeBron are FAR more scrutinized than the stars that came before them. Jordan's practice antics would have been front page news today. His failures and deficiencies amplified. He played in a perfect media era. Enough exposure to be seen, but no internet, Twitter, etc. to blow everything out of proportion.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject:

revgen wrote:

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: