HBO Series "Treme" from David Simon (The Wire)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject:

New Trailer!

LINK
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject:

Making-of Featurette
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject:

HBO has a good little lineup again. I'm hooked on How To Make It In America and just got into Big Love. With Curb making a comeback this year and Treme starting, they built up their roster once again.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject:

David Mills died yesterday. He's the co-writer that worked with Simon.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/31/david-mills-television-writer-and-producer-dies/
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject:

First major review from Variety just dropped.

Quote:
As with New Orleans residents still grappling with Hurricane Katrina's bitter aftermath, patience is required in viewing "Treme." Yet here, at least, that virtue is rewarded. Producer David Simon's "The Wire" charted a vicious cycle of poverty, violence, neglect and political ass-covering in a corroding American city; his latest urban tragedy takes a lower-key approach, examining the hardscrabble existence of musicians, restaurateurs and others desperately clinging to their way of life in a damaged, wounded town. Rich, textured and too leisurely in its gait, "Treme" won't be to everyone's taste, but by episode three, a hardy band will be hopelessly hooked.

In producing the show (co-created with Eric Overmyer), Simon is joined by collaborators associated with earlier landmark offerings -- "The Wire," "The Corner" and "Homicide" (which was based on the former journalist's book). And if there's a connective tissue to those projects along with the miniseries "Generation Kill," it's the bracingly uncompromising nature of Simon's work. The people here are meant to feel real; whether an audience likes them -- and what happens to them -- is essentially left to the viewer.

Introducing an assortment of characters, the 80-minute opening to this 10-part series is, to say the least, challenging. Framed by musical sequences, the premiere establishes the show's tone but does little to crystallize its focus.

By the second hour, however, relationships become clearer, characters begin crossing into each other's orbits and a loose rhythm begins to coalesce. It's as if the producers have sought to approximate jazz phrasings for a TV audience weaned on pop ballads.

Everyone appears to be struggling in Treme -- the neighborhood where jazz was born -- as the show begins, three months after the levees broke. At the rough center is Antoine (Wendell Pierce), a trombonist scraping to find any gig he can, which eventually includes playing in a strip bar. His ex-wife, LaDonna (Khandi Alexander), is trying to maintain a bar while searching for her missing brother, with help from a civil-rights attorney (Melissa Leo) married to a cantankerous English-lit professor (John Goodman).

"Treme" would be a mouthful if it ended there, but that's only the beginning. Mardi Gras Indian chief/handyman Albert (Clarke Peters) returns home over the objections of his grown children, musical nerd Davis (Steve Zahn) rails against pretty much everything, and his sometimes bed-mate Janette (Kim Dickens) labors to keep her restaurant afloat. There's also a young pair of street musicians (Michiel Huisman, Lucia Micarelli) whose contributions to the series remain vague three episodes in.

A brooding sense of anger undergirds the show, with the frequent sound of helicopters creating the atmosphere of occupied territory. Residents can barely conceal their contempt for visiting media, tourists and the police, while wondering who among those forced to flee might actually return.

If you're not enamored of jazz, "Treme's" extended musical interludes will play like something of a slog, and keeping track of the disparate stories is nettlesome at first. Fortunately, the talent on display -- particularly Goodman, Alexander, and "Wire" alums Pierce (a New Orleans native) and Peters -- is such that watching them read the phone book would be superior to much of what's on TV.

"Everyone loves New Orleans music," Albert grumbles in the second hour. "New Orleans people?" The question is left hanging.

Simon's genius (and to an extent his curse) is a facility for crafting TV programs that make their audience feel as if they're being produced just for them. That's hardly a recipe for popular success, and explains why his output has predominantly been confined to pay TV.

Still, a luxury outfit like HBO can probably live with those limitations, and "Treme" sure isn't fast food.

Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject:

It's great just seeing Wendell Pierce in the trailers. For all the great characters and acting in The Wire, Bunk Moreland may have been my favorite.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject:

Tavis Smiley's interview with David Simon:

LINK

Premieres this Sunday.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject:

I loved the premiere tonight. This show is alive! Such great music, such a phenomenal cast, so beautifully shot. I want more.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I loved the premiere tonight. This show is alive! Such great music, such a phenomenal cast, so beautifully shot. I want more.

DAMN! Missed it... I hope HBO outs it on OnDemand...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
ocho wrote:

DAMN! Missed it... I hope HBO outs it on OnDemand...

It'll be on OnDemand and it's HBO so it will be replayed countless times throughout the week.

HBO is also putting up a music guide for each episode, which tells you the song/artist and scene it was used in.
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject:

watched it, and everything looks interesting and great, love the music, and the way its shot. just haven't latched onto any of the characters yet. I'll check it out next week.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject:

"Just days after its first season premiere on Sunday, HBO approved a second season of its hour-long drama series Treme set in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. Production on the new season will begin in New Orleans this fall."
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject:

kevin wrote:
"Just days after its first season premiere on Sunday, HBO approved a second season of its hour-long drama series Treme set in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. Production on the new season will begin in New Orleans this fall."

They should have approved 5 full seasons from the get go.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

I've watched it 3 times now, which I never do. I just love the vibe.

And Steve Vahn is great as Davis.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Will we be seeing cameos from other celebs throughout the season? Maybe Brad Pitt or Reggie Bush or Fats Domino?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Beautiful end to episode 3 tonight. Clarke Peters is outstading.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject:

^ Best episode thus far.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Beautiful end to episode 3 tonight. Clarke Peters is outstanding.

I knew this show would really hit it's stride, and it definitely has now. I can't wait to see what's in store. The show just gets it right on so many levels.

I typically refrain from multiple viewings of episodes of shows no matter how good they are unless I have to because I am working on them - I know that ultimately that can be counter productive because it can take the luster off of work you really like.

But so far with this show, I find myself replaying the episodes right after I watch them just to enjoy the soul, watch the cutting patterns and soak up the vibe and music.

On another note, I got a sneak peak at Shawn Ryan's new pilot that is set in Chicago. I couldn't watch the whole thing because it is being protected like a golden egg lest it get leaked, but I think that might be another winner for him.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject:

The Asian looking violin girl is hot.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

I knew this show would really hit it's stride, and it definitely has now. I can't wait to see what's in store. The show just gets it right on so many levels.

I typically refrain from multiple viewings of episodes of shows no matter how good they are unless I have to because I am working on them - I know that ultimately that can be counter productive because it can take the luster off of work you really like.

But so far with this show, I find myself replaying the episodes right after I watch them just to enjoy the soul, watch the cutting patterns and soak up the vibe and music.

On another note, I got a sneak peak at Shawn Ryan's new pilot that is set in Chicago. I couldn't watch the whole thing because it is being protected like a golden egg lest it get leaked, but I think that might be another winner for him.

Good news. I'm a big fan of The Shield. Will this be for FX?
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject:

I thought Shawn Ryan was running Lie to Me now.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

Good news. I'm a big fan of The Shield. Will this be for FX?

Either that or Fox itself. I don't know. Hopefully FX - the reigns are held less tightly there.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject:

By the way, Shawn Ryan also has another show that is in full production called "Terriers". I haven't seen any of it,but I know people who are working on it and that sounds good too.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Oh yeah. . . one more addition.

I love the Main Titles sequence for Treme. They have excellently done photographically what I like to do with my photography which is find ways to abstractly capture reality. The way they have taken photos of mold and water damage and made them look like painted abstract canvases is really wonderfully done. You could make a whole gallery presentation with that work and I would hang any of them on my wall as a work of art.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Oh yeah. . . one more addition.

I love the Main Titles sequence for Treme. They have excellently done photographically what I like to do with my photography which is find ways to abstractly capture reality. The way they have taken photos of mold and water damage and made them look like painted abstract canvases is really wonderfully done. You could make a whole gallery presentation with that work and I would hang any of them on my wall as a work of art.

Love the main titles as well. We're only 3 episodes in and the cast seem like old friends already. There's just nothing else like it on TV.

I found this website by the way:
Songs From Treme

It has all the songs from the show and which scenes they appear. In other words, it's the greatest website ever.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: