HBO Series "Treme" from David Simon (The Wire)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject:

The theme song is really catchy. I have it in my head all the time.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject:

kevin wrote:

Me too!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
kevin wrote:

Me too!

+1

Actually been humming it this morning.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject:

kevin wrote:
I thought Shawn Ryan was running Lie to Me now.

He is. That's the show I'm on at the moment. But he also has his hands on these other things as well. He's a busy and productive man.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

I found this website by the way:
Songs From Treme

Sweeeet!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Season 2 prems on April 24.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject:

kevin wrote:
Season 2 prems on April 24.

Can't effin' wait.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject:

SPOILER ALERT. PLEASE DON'T READ THIS POST OR DMR'S RESPONSE IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN SEASON ONE BUT INTEND TO

Fantastic. Can't wait. Loved the first season, though I'll admit I turned off the finale as soon as it was 100% clear ( SPOILER ALERT) they killed off Goodman. Kinda depressing, but that's Simon's for you.  Pathetic of me, I know, but still, just a great show. Love the music on the show.

Last edited by Lowest Merion on Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:38 am; edited 2 times in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
Fantastic. Can't wait. Loved the first season, though I'll admit I turned off the finale as soon as it was 100% clear (SPOILER ALERT) they killed off Goodman. Kinda depressing, but that's Simon's for you. Pathetic of me, I know, but still, just a great show. Love the music on the show.

Yeah, that sucked. While he was one of characters the drove the spirit of the whole NO vibe, I can totally see why they went that route - it drove home the depths of the cities decline when such a devoted and deep routed guy can't even bare living in his soul-city.

And as I am sure I have said in this thread, The music is not just a theme or score - it's one of the main characters.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
The music is not just a theme or score - it's one of the main characters.

Yep. Completely agree.

And if they ditch Sonny this season, I won't be disappointed. Weakest link by a million miles. 
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
The music is not just a theme or score - it's one of the main characters.

Yep. Completely agree.

And if they ditch Sonny this season, I won't be disappointed. Weakest link by a million miles. 

Yeah, he was an anchor point for Annie, but she is clearly branching out at this point and is by far a more interesting character - and they are definitely removing her from his anchor. I don't see what purpose he serves anymore.

He's moving on in more ways than one and she is moving UP.

Maybe they will find a plot point that keeps that dynamic interesting, but at this point he isn't likable or intrinsic to the themes or progression of events.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject:

I'm looking forward to season 2 as well, but I was a bit disappointed by season 1. Part of that is in my own head - this ain't the Wire and I need to get over that. Season 1 definitely had it's high points, but at the end of the season I still found myself trying to understand the larger point. I get that Simon was examining the soul of the city and its denizens, but it all felt just a bit too disparate. A lot of subplots that didn't necessarily connect in a meaningful way. Davis, while serving as a very necessary representative of the city was annoying and there was way too much of him. The focus on character was very welcomed, but there was a touch too much tilt over plot. Simon is great at peeling back layers, but I felt like we only went one layer deep in season 1. Looking forward to seeing how season 2 can start to peel back some additional layers.
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject:

When are they going to bring Bubbles to New Orleans?
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Season 2 starts tonight.

Here's a review.

The second season of the New Orleans-set drama, created by David Simon, takes place a year after Hurricane Katrina.
Although it took a couple of seasons for the general public to figure out that David Simon and his writing staff were taking on something larger than just a drama when they did The Wire, there was no such lag in figuring out that when the man created HBO’s Treme, he was going to mix sociology, politics, music, race and anthropology into a tasty bit of visual gumbo.
How could he not? Treme was about New Orleans post-Katrina — a story nearly begging for someone like Simon to tell its story, much like he did with Baltimore in Wire.
Season 1 of Treme was about what it takes to first care enough to rebuild one of the country’s great cities and then to actually do it. That he and fellow producer and New Orleans vet Eric Overmyer pulled it off by letting locals help create the ambience needed (musicians, actors, foodies, local institutions, etc.) added the authenticity that allowed New Orleans’ natives to hand down their seal of approval.
A lot of cable series spike in their second seasons as word-of-mouth spreads and latecomers catch up on the Season 1 DVDs and marathons put on by their respective channels. Let’s hope that’s the case as Season 2 of kicks off April 24 for its 11-episode sophomore turn. While it often seemed like the first season was primarily meant to allow viewers to soak up the ambience of the rich, varied culture there — and myriad horror stories of post-Katrina recovery — like much of Simon’s work, it demanded patience and trust that a direction would be found.
The reward was how the slow build of disparate stories came together — threads of hope, despair, resolve and a reliance on the spirit of the past intertwining and shaping characters as the season ended. The first season was set in fall 2005, three months after Katrina. It was (and still is) a story about survival, of not being forgotten when you are actively being forgotten or ignored by bureaucracy; the shock of loss; the reliance on tradition (particularly music) to salve the wounds; and the flickerings of a redemptive spirit.
Season 2 begins more than a year after Katrina, and New Orleans is no longer on the front pages of newspapers or leading the national news. The country’s eye has moved on, but those in the Crescent City are still suffering. Crime is up, help is slow, tourism is way down, and outsiders with money are pouring in to profit from the reconstruction.
So if you thought Simon was going to paint you a rainbow, forget it. As he says: “We are following the actual timeline of post-Katrina New Orleans as a means of understanding what happened — and what didn’t happen — when an American city suffered a near-death experience.”
True to the story line, there are glimpses of a resurgence a little further down the line that viewers know is coming but hasn’t occurred yet. For instance, LaDonna (Khandi Alexander) speaks of the Saints and this new quarterback who might work out (Drew Brees, of course, worked out great, marching the Saints to the promised land of the Super Bowl). It’s a little leavening of the pain of watching the people of New Orleans struggle so much before what has been an impressive (but still incomplete) resurgence.
So as Season 2 kicks off, we find Toni (Melissa Leo) still trying to fight the good fight but still hurt by the suicide of her husband, Creighton (John Goodman). Daughter Sofia (India Ennenga, now a full-time cast member) has seemingly absorbed her dead father’s rage and despair over the state of New Orleans, and that puts additional pressure on Toni. (Leo, by the way, remains marvelous in everything she does.)
Antoine (Wendell Pierce) has designs on starting his own band; Albert (Clarke Peters) is dumped out of the bar he revamped when the owner returns; Albert’s son Delmond (Rob Brown) begins to feel the allure of New Orleans again when his fellow New Yorkers disparage the culture; and Janette (Kim Dickens) also tires of the Big Apple as she works under a demanding but talented chef (Anthony Bourdain has been added to the writing staff, so the kitchen banter and attention to detail is exceptional).
Meanwhile, DJ Davis (Steve Zahn) is still pissing off his bosses at the radio station, still railing against the dying of the culture, but at least he’s got a blossoming relationship with Annie Tee (the lovely and talented Lucia Micarelli). Sonny (Michiel Huisman), noted screw-up and Annie’s ex, takes one step forward and two back, as expected. Lt. Colson (David Morse, who also gets upped to full-time cast member) continues to deal with the police department’s handling of crime in the city. And a newcomer from Dallas, Nelson Hidalgo (Jon Seda), adds to the political intrigue and race to reshape New Orleans.
Ambitious? As always. And if the first few episodes are any indication, tighter, even more evocative and as lush and lovingly constructed as possible when conveying the plight of the forgotten.
New Orleans has better days ahead, but Simon and Overmyer look to be spending much of Season 2 on the struggle that was still evident to anyone bothering to look a full year after the floods. If you missed Season 1, get on board now and catch up as you can. Treme might be telling some hard truths, but the soundtrack can help you through the darkest nights. This is a series primed to rise another notch, and you, like the citizens of the Crescent City, should be there for the transformation.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject:

kevin wrote:
Season 2 starts tonight.

Here's a review..

Don't need a review.

Treme is one of those stories that's about people, music and introspection.

It's a personal experience. The whole essence of the show is personal experience.

As a viewer it's about mine.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Maddocks
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject:

gave the show a watch, not bad.

i remember when i went to new orleans.went to a welcome center to see a map and whatnot. the first thing they said was dont go to treme at night.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
mosphiren
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject:

Yes Yes i have watched this show once. it was looking good show.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Enjoying the season so far, particularly the last episode - Feels Like Rain.

Here's a nice little article describing that episode and capturing some of what makes the show so good:

Musicians and cooks talk shop on "Treme"
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject:

Harley....noooooooooooo!!!

Great ep...the show has really hit its stride.
rchanou
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject:

I guess I should start watching, I've been putting this on the back burner for awhile. Gotta find something while I wait for Breaking Bad to start up again.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject:

rchanou wrote:
I guess I should start watching, I've been putting this on the back burner for awhile. Gotta find something while I wait for Breaking Bad to start up again.

I very much recommend it. I've enjoyed this season more than last - seems like they have found a better rhythm while turning down the volume on Davis a touch and scaling back on Sonny as well. A lot of great inner-kitchen scenes with Jannette and songwriting discussions with Annie. Wendell Pierce and Clarke Peters are their typical great selves and Khandi Alexander has been tremendous. Music as as always is phenomenal.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject:

So I just finished this show and I absolutely LOVED it.

I started watching it about a month ago right around the time I was planning my NOLA trip and being a fan of The Wire I knew I was in for some great television but boy was I still surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I wanna go back to NO already partly because I had a blast there, partly because this show made me miss the culture so much; it was is a very unique culture compared to other parts of the country.

There wasn't one main character I didn't like by the end of the show- in the beginning I thought Sonny was a d-bag but his arc make him so likable at the end of the show. Seeing him finally getting his ish together and then Annie dedicating that song to him at the end was great.

To pick a favorite storyline or character is impossible which speaks to Simon's greatness but one thing that stuck out to me throughout the show was Davis' passion for music and the city, it was in the spirit of a hopeless romantic which was beautiful to me.

Why the hell did HBO cancel this show or not at least give it a full 10-12 episode final season? I don't understand how shows like Entourage and even The Sopranos(good but IMO not as good as The Wire, Treme or even Boardwalk) get the greenlight to go on forever when better stuff gets cut early.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: