Buss paid the $800k for Lane Kiffin's Buy-Out! Wow...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Buss paid the $800k for Lane Kiffin's Buy-Out! Wow...

Just heard about it through Fred Roggins. Save that money for the Lakers man!! Who says Buss doesn't have cash to burn? BTW, he's an alumni. Anybody see the movie Blue Chips? Buss is like part of the "friends of the program."
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject:

NICE! Now he needs to pay Norm Chow's buyout and get that old fart over here to run the offense.
R-Tistic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Buss paid the $800k for Lane Kiffin's Buy-Out! Wow...

LMAO, USC's alums have MAAAAAAAAAAAAAJOR money. I'm still in shock that Spielberg + Lucas donated damn $275 Million or somethin to their film program, just because Chapman came and looked like a major threat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Mbengaposterized
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Pay that money for luxury tax !!!!!!!!!!
Balki Bartokomous
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Damn, there goes Sasha's buyout!
JDLakers21
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject:

he donated $7.5 mill back in 2008 to USC. 800k? Pocket change
ishi331
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject:

So taking on new contracts should be no problem then right Jerry?
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject:

JDLakers21 wrote:
he donated $7.5 mill back in 2008 to USC. 800k? Pocket change

Actually my amazement is not over the amount, it's the power. BUSS: You want Lane? Okay, you got him! Just give me the bill.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject:

Crazy

!...
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject:

What has Kiffin done to deserve this attention?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jxhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:

Exactly my sentiments. This hire looks desperate if you ask me. All he's done at Tennessee is break a lot of rules in a 6 loss season (not exactly what USC should be wanting to pursue at this point, catch my drift?)

The guy has done absolutely nothing as a head coach ANYWHERE. This was a horrible hire as far as I'm concerned, and I'm an SEC fan. NOT a Tennessee fan mind you.

His press conference even made me cringe. He more or less said he did all of the stunted things at Tennessee because they needed to draw attention.
Hmmm.

Never thought I'd see USC as desperate, but that's what it's come to.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Attention or job? In regards to attention, youngest NFL coach ever... and it showed, it was just a disaster. Then he gets a very very good job at UT, bad mouths the his opponents, and racks up 7 violations in along with 7 wins in his first and only year at UT. And the fact they he left when UT admin and fans backed his every wrong move this past year shows what type of guy he is perceived or real. To quote one reporter, dude has master the art of falling forward...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RealOne
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject:

Mbengaposterized wrote:
Pay that money for luxury tax !!!!!!!!!!

He's paying much more than that for lux tax.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject:

Jim Harbaugh would have been my #1 pick... but he'll be gone to the NFL in a few years regardless.

Mike Riley would have been great, but he isn't a big market kind of personality - he would be great for SC as a coach but probably not as happy living in LA in his personal life.

Other guys I like: Cam Cameron, Bill Cowher, Steve Sarkisian, and Jack Del Rio.

I would have probably preferred all those guys over Kiffin, especially since Chow will likely stay at UCLA.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Jim Harbaugh would have been my #1 pick... but he'll be gone to the NFL in a few years regardless.

Mike Riley would have been great, but he isn't a big market kind of personality - he would be great for SC as a coach but probably not as happy living in LA in his personal life.

Other guys I like: Cam Cameron, Bill Cowher, Steve Sarkisian, and Jack Del Rio.

I would have probably preferred all those guys over Kiffin, especially since Chow will likely stay at UCLA.
I don't think Kiffin was SC's first, second, or third choice. Kiffin got the job based on who he can bring with him (coach and recruit wise, both current and future), familiarity with the current system, and timing (signing day is less than 3 weeks away)... basically right place right time; it fell into his lap...
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject:

meh not a Kiffin or USC fan
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Here's a somewhat off-topic question:

Unless it's for film, why do California natives choose USC over UCLA when it is double the price? Could they not get into UCLA or something? Is this whole "rivalry" just jealousy from Southern California natives who were rejected from UCLA?

Clank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Unless it's for film, why do California natives choose USC over UCLA when it is double the price? Could they not get into UCLA or something? Is this whole "rivalry" just jealousy from Southern California natives who were rejected from UCLA?

A lot of it depends on scholarships and whatnot. Yes, USC is more expensive, but it also offers more scholarship money. Significantly more. That's a determining factor sometimes, especially for the people who qualify for a lot of USC scholarships.

There are also the people who are simply rich enough to easily afford USC and wanna hang out with other rich kids.

And academically, UCLA has a slight advantage, but USC's alumni system makes up for that I think.

Those are the reasons I can think of. I'm a current UCLA student btw

-Elton Brand

Chicken tastes better with waffles.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

I applied to both UCLA and USC as a transfer student for Fall 2010. There are many reasons why I would choose USC over UCLA. First, by reading this thread you probably noticed how Trojans continue to support Trojans. Stories like this are not atypical. I never hear stories about the UCLA "network."

But anyway, I'm a business major so I wanna go to either Berkeley or USC. And I am 100% sure I'll get accepted to UCLA anyway. It has nothing to do with USC being the "university of second choice" for me. And USC will actually be alot cheaper for me since I'm poor and I have amazing grades.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Oh, I see. I was at USC last Saturday, the area is horrible. My grand-aunt lives in the apartment nearest to the school.

Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Oh, I see. I was at USC last Saturday, the area is horrible. My grand-aunt lives in the apartment nearest to the school.

Hopefully that will keep you away.
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject:

lakerforever24 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I applied to both UCLA and USC as a transfer student for Fall 2010. There are many reasons why I would choose USC over UCLA. First, by reading this thread you probably noticed how Trojans continue to support Trojans. Stories like this are not atypical. I never hear stories about the UCLA "network."

But anyway, I'm a business major so I wanna go to either Berkeley or USC. And I am 100% sure I'll get accepted to UCLA anyway. It has nothing to do with USC being the "university of second choice" for me. And USC will actually be alot cheaper for me since I'm poor and I have amazing grades.

That's probably because you are not looking. UCLA has some GREAT alumni and Bruin to Bruin support. It is just all about how open your eyes are to the different situations.
slippy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject:

If I were a business major, I would do SC due to the alumni network. A lot of the rich elite of SoCal (and Orange County) go to SC.

UCLA's a tough, competitive school, situated in beautiful Westwood. You'll get one helluva education there, and you'll grow up.
kobe1kanobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject:

slippy wrote:
If I were a business major, I would do SC due to the alumni network. A lot of the rich elite of SoCal (and Orange County) go to SC.

UCLA's a tough, competitive school, situated in beautiful Westwood. You'll get one helluva education there, and you'll grow up.

Go to USC if you plan to stay in Socal, the Alumni network is only strong if you stay locally. Go to UCLA if you plan to go anywhere else.

USC's name comes up a lot only if you are from Socal. Apparently USC alumni's tend to stay in Socal after graduating. Anywhere else in the world UCLA holds a better name.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Any UCLA owners in the world dropping major coin down these days?

I like to see both schools do well, so I have no axe to grind. Been to 1 USC and 1 UCLA football game in my life, thats it. I root for the hometown schools, and I know there are a lot fo Bruins on the board here.

Do any UCLA grads own any major sports teams?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: