General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 452, 453, 454 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Liam Smith (26-1-1, 14 KOs) gave Jaime Munguia (29-0, 25 KOs) all or more than he wanted. It showed Munguia's not ready for Canelo or GGG.

Mungia gained 21 lbs from weigh in...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Liam Smith (26-1-1, 14 KOs) gave Jaime Munguia (29-0, 25 KOs) all or more than he wanted. It showed Munguia's not ready for Canelo or GGG.

Yeah and Liam took his best shots. Gotta give Smith his props, he came to war.
He's a warrior.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:

He's a warrior.

for sure, Smith battled and wasn't afraid to trade punches even after he got dropped. Mungia got power, he gonna have to move up as he grow, looks like a giant in his weight class even now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:

He's a warrior.

for sure, Smith battled and wasn't afraid to trade punches even after he got dropped. Mungia got power, he gonna have to move up as he grow, looks like a giant in his weight class even now

Looking forward to Mikey Garcia (38-0, 20 KOs) vs Robert Easter Jr. (31-0, 20 KOs) Sat 7/28. I like Mikey but have reservations. No real reason, just gut. He doesn't strike me as a fighter who really gives it his all. I'm picking Mikey in this one.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:

He's a warrior.

Looking forward to Mikey Garcia (38-0, 20 KOs) vs Robert Easter Jr. (31-0, 20 KOs) Sat 7/28. I like Mikey but have reservations. No real reason, just gut. He doesn't strike me as a fighter who really gives it his all. I'm picking Mikey in this one.

Mikey's fundamental is rock solid, dude picked apart Broener but Easter has that long haymaker. Gonna be a good one, this could be like a mini Joshua-Wilder
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:

He's a warrior.

Mikey's fundamental is rock solid, dude picked apart Broener but Easter has that long haymaker. Gonna be a good one, this could be like a mini Joshua-Wilder

Never was a Broner fan. Talk about bark being bigger than bite, that's Adrien Broner. I give Easter a punchers chance but as you say Mikey is schooled in the discipline.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:

He's a warrior.

Mikey's fundamental is rock solid, dude picked apart Broener but Easter has that long haymaker. Gonna be a good one, this could be like a mini Joshua-Wilder.

Somebody's 0 gotta go.

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject:

Garcia’s timing, speed and power was on point. He measured the longer Easter the whole way. Calling out 14 lbs heavier Spence... I like it

King Kong! Straight raw power, short bulkier older Wilder. Too bad he’s 39, no champ would wanna fit this guys again
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

I posted a statement about Mikey Garcia meant for Danny Garcia.
Quote:
Danny Garcia was the Garcia I had in mind when I posted that.

Mikey took control of this fight from round 1 and never relinquished it. He dominated Easter. Kept him on his heels the whole fight. I had it 118 109 Mikey.

I'm picking Shawn over Danny. Garia is more skilled but I pick Porter because of his tenacity. Shawn is going to make it a war.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
NickDaQwik
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject:

Garcia clearly controlled the fight with his jab and combinations. Easter is a tough fighter and made it hard for Garcia to cut off the ring. I wasn't sure Mikey's power was carrying up in weight, so it was surprising to see him put Easter down.

While Mikey had another solid performance, I don't think he showed enough to have me believe he's any threat to Errol Spence. I admire his ambition and balls for wanting to fight someone no one wants a part of. But Spence is just as fundamentally sound and has the size advantage and middleweight power.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject:

After the fight Jim Gray asked Easter why he didn't throw the straight right as his corner was asking him to do. Easter responded that he just couldn't "pull the trigger on it." Well the reason he couldn't pull the trigger on I was because if he did that left hook was coming for him. I also think he was weight drained. After 6 rounds he was gassed. He tried to just jab then tried to run for one round (stick and move) but after that it was defense first survival mode.

After Garcia dropped him in the third Mikey just made it a workman like decision and this is over an undefeated champion. Though one without enough power to stop guys at the highest level.

I agree though Spence is a bridge too far. He is too big hits too hard. He will walk thru Garcia's best like it wasn't there. I admire his balls though for wanting the fight.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject:

I wanna see Garcia vs Lomachenko... let’s see who has the best footwork/fundamentals combo
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject:

NickDaQwik wrote:
Garcia clearly controlled the fight with his jab and combinations. Easter is a tough fighter and made it hard for Garcia to cut off the ring. I wasn't sure Mikey's power was carrying up in weight, so it was surprising to see him put Easter down.

While Mikey had another solid performance, I don't think he showed enough to have me believe he's any threat to Errol Spence. I admire his ambition and balls for wanting to fight someone no one wants a part of. But Spence is just as fundamentally sound and has the size advantage and middleweight power.

He was moving down in weight after his recent fights, but I agree that Spence destroys him. He's trying to pull the Kell Brook move of fighting someone bigger, so you have a built-in excuse when you lose. Then, Mikey can move back down and eventually fight Loma. However, I think Loma beats Mikey badly if he fights Spence first.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
NickDaQwik wrote:

He was moving down in weight after his recent fights, but I agree that Spence destroys him. He's trying to pull the Kell Brook move of fighting someone bigger, so you have a built-in excuse when you lose. Then, Mikey can move back down and eventually fight Loma. However, I think Loma beats Mikey badly if he fights Spence first.

I'm slowly moving into the Loma camp. I still take his professional fight number into consideration. BoxRec

Guillermo Rigondeaux was a 37 year old fighter who came up in weight to make the fight. IMO it was All About The Benjamin's for him.

Gary Russel Jr. was a good win though not a UD it was a MD. Who else did he beat? I've always wondered how a man with such a limited resume could get title fights?

His size gives him an advantage over Mikey but I'm not counting Mikey out.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
NickDaQwik wrote:

I'm slowly moving into the Loma camp. I still take his professional fight number into consideration. BoxRec

Guillermo Rigondeaux was a 37 year old fighter who came up in weight to make the fight. IMO it was All About The Benjamin's for him.

Gary Russel Jr. was a good win though not a UD it was a MD. Who else did he beat? I've always wondered how a man with such a limited resume could get title fights?

His size gives him an advantage over Mikey but I'm not counting Mikey out.

People called for him to fight Rigo, but I agree it was a mismatch. However, no one beat Rigo like that before. Loma stopped Walters and Linares, who many people thought could hurt or stop him. Both fighters were much bigger than Loma, and I believe Loma moved up for both fights. I think Mikey is bigger than Loma, but it won't matter if/when they meet imo.

Edit: In terms of Loma's "limited resume," I think he gets a pass because he's considered arguably the greatest amateur fighter of all time. He's also consistently moved up and/or fought champions in almost every one of those fights (his second fight was for the title, and he lost controversially in a dirty fight).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:

Quote:
People called for him to fight Rigo, but I agree it was a mismatch. However, no one beat Rigo like that before.

People called for the fight. I think they expected more. I know I did. Rigo seemed to be in it for the money.
Quote:
Loma stopped Walters and Linares, who many people thought could hurt or stop him. Both fighters were much bigger than Loma, and I believe Loma moved up for both fights.
It's said both fighters were shot. I don't know.
Quote:
I think Mikey is bigger than Loma, but it won't matter if/when they meet imo.

I'm going out on a limb on this one. I like the way Mikey approached his fight with Easter. I almost want to say he'd beat Loma.

Quote:
Edit: In terms of Loma's "limited resume," I think he gets a pass because he's considered arguably the greatest amateur fighter of all time. He's also consistently moved up and/or fought champions in almost every one of those fights (his second fight was for the title, and he lost controversially in a dirty fight)
I don't see how you can honestly equate amature bouts to professionals.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Your post is above, so I won't quote for conciseness. My response is below:

If Loma beats Mikey, people will say he's shot too. People always say X fighter is ducking Y, and, when X fighter wins, Y fighter was shot or paid off. Walters brutally stopped Donaire and was subsequently avoided, so I am not sure how you view him as shot. Linares was a champ that Mikey Garcia could have fought, but chose not to, and he fought really well, including knocking Loma down once in that fight. No one survives a liver shot, so that's not really Linares being exposed or anything.

Also, I am not equating amateur fights with professional fights, and what Loma has accomplished in so few professional fights has never been done in the history of the sport. Tank Davis does not want to fight Loma despite Floyd's willingness to make it happen, and Mikey (a top 5-10 P4P guy) is literally moving up to take a beating from Spence to avoid Loma (similar to what Brook did with GGG while avoiding Spence).
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Lomachenko is still recovering from shoulder surgery. So he isn't going to fight Garcia anytime soon. He will need at least one tune up fight first before any Garcia fight can be made. This pushes Garcia Lomachenko fight to next year. I think Garcia is adequately skilled to deal with Lomachenkos ring savvy and he's just too big for him. Lomachenko is a blown up featherweight it's asking a lot to go up in weight against a fighter like Mikey. I would give the edge to Garcia in that fight.

Now however Garcia is looking for a payday. I think a Spence fight is a fight he can't win but hey have at it and cash the check if you must. Loma and Garcia will be next year at the earliest.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Your post is above, so I won't quote for conciseness. My response is below:

Quote:
If Loma beats Mikey, people will say he's shot too. People always say X fighter is ducking Y, and, when X fighter wins, Y fighter was shot or paid off. Walters brutally stopped Donaire and was subsequently avoided, so I am not sure how you view him as shot.

I'm not saying either fighter is shot. I haven't followed them close enough to have an opinion.
Quote:
Linares was a champ that Mikey Garcia could have fought, but chose not to, and he fought really well, including knocking Loma down once in that fight. No one survives a liver shot, so that's not really Linares being exposed or anything.

I vaguely remember a fight were a fighter took a liver shot. If that was Linares I posted a fighter usually doesn't get up from a liver shot. It's the most debilitating punch in the game.
Quote:

Also, I am not equating amateur fights with professional fights, and what Loma has accomplished in so few professional fights has never been done in the history of the sport.

I'd have the same reservation about any fighter who had the limited number of professional fights as Loma. I said I'm slowly moving into the Loma camp.
Quote:
Tank Davis does not want to fight Loma despite Floyd's willingness to make it happen,

I'd like to see that scrap. I think Floyd may be flossing. I think he's gonna protect his cash cow.
Quote:
Mikey (a top 5-10 P4P guy) is literally moving up to take a beating from Spence to avoid Loma (similar to what Brook did with GGG while avoiding Spence).

I don't think Mikey's ducking. I think he's going where the money is.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Loma and Mikey Garcia (Anthony Joshua too) right now have the best combination of speed, power and a way to measure/anticipate your opponent’s movement. These guys basically pick apart their last couple opponents making them look like they had no plans coming into the ring. I think Loma and Mikey should happen, right there with Wilder Joshua. But you know it’s gonna be couple yrs too late like PacMan Money fight... boxing
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject:

Don't sleep on Povetkin vs Joshua he's big strong and highly skilled. This is no walkover fight for Joshua.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject:

https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/8/1/17638968/deontay-wilder-says-hes-100-certain-hell-be-fighting-tyson-fury

“I believe 100 percent that this fight is going to happen and it’s going to get done,” said Wilder, 32. “We’re very, very close. Very, very close. Closer than Joshua and me could ever get in a lifetime. It’s definitely gonna happen, there’s no doubt. There’s just a little more work to be done.”
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Don't sleep on Povetkin vs Joshua he's big strong and highly skilled. This is no walkover fight for Joshua.

I haven't seen much of him. I pulled his BoxRec I don't know his opponents. He has a 69% KO rating. I hope Joshua's not overlooking him. I'd hate it if this fight causes a stop to Wilder vs Joshua.

BoxRec

ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject:

Mattyse retired today.

2 mill paycheck prolly helped with that
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject:

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
Mattyse retired today.

2 mill paycheck prolly helped with that

I think the whooping Manny Pacquiao put on him was more a factor. He made Manny look like a young PacMan. He just doesn't have it anymore.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 452, 453, 454 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 453 of 514
Jump to: