General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 342, 343, 344 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject:

I gave Stiverne I think three rounds. Dude couldn't get through that jab. Was killing him all night and when it wasn't landing, it was pushing his own gloves into his face.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject:

One of the most entertaining heavyweight fights that has been broadcasted, in a long time! I only gave Stiverne 2 rounds. That said, I think the round that all the judges scored 10-8 was totally justified. After watching the replay, there were a couple times that Wilder hit Stiverne so hard that he stumbled back into the ropes and the ropes were what kept him up.

Stiverne couldn't handle the length and movement of Wilder.

Wilder already calling out Tyson Fury, which I think would be another awesome heavyweight fight to watch! Winner of that fight vs. Klitschko would be great.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject:

I guess I'm the only one who thought they looked completely awful? They were both lethargic by the 7th round. Word is Wilder broke his hand in the 4th so that explains some but I personally wasn't impressed. It did have the suspense that's been lacking in the division since both guys can end it quick.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject:

In_your_Eye wrote:
I guess I'm the only one who thought they looked completely awful? They were both lethargic by the 7th round. Word is Wilder broke his hand in the 4th so that explains some but I personally wasn't impressed. It did have the suspense that's been lacking in the division since both guys can end it quick.

Might have to credit their beards especially Stiverne.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject:

Fox Sports - Klitchsko to defend title in America for first time in seven years - Jennings

Quote:
Wladimir Klitschko has agreed to defend his WBA and IBF heavyweight titles against Bryant Jennings on April 25 at Madison Square Garden.

It will be the champion's first fight in the United States in seven years.

Jennings is undefeated in 19 fights, with 10 knockouts. Klitschko says he has "great respect" for Jennings, who "moves well and has a refined technique."

The American also has a longer reach than the champion, although he is shorter.

Klitschko is 1.98 meters (6-foot-6) tall with a reach of 2.06 meters (81 inches). Jennings is 1.91 (6-foot-3), with a reach of 2.13 meters (84 inches).

Klitschko, who also holds the minor WBO and IBO belts, has a 63-3 record, with 54 KOs.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
In_your_Eye wrote:

Might have to credit their beards especially Stiverne.

I think part of it too was just comparing it to the snoozefest of heavyweight fights that have been on over several years. And that's just referring to the championship fights. The most hyped heavyweight fight, prior to this one, was the Klitschko vs. David Haye fight and after all that talking, David Haye didn't do ish the entire fight and blamed it on his toe!

For this one, I gave Stiverne credit for still trying to go after Wilder throughout the fight. He just couldn't find a way to set traps on Wilder, to counter the length advantage.

Another reason I found it entertaining was Wilder actually looks like a big pro athlete. That's part of what made the Heavyweight division so glamorous. Fans could look at that division and feel like they weren't watching Joe-Schmoe Bouncer or Strong man competition winner, but a dedicated pro athlete that always kept in shape and was larger than everyone else! With all the training techniques available nowadays, it's hard to look at a Heavyweight and feel like they are actually a pro athlete (with exception to a few).

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Fox Sports - Klitchsko to defend title in America for first time in seven years - Jennings

Quote:
Wladimir Klitschko has agreed to defend his WBA and IBF heavyweight titles against Bryant Jennings on April 25 at Madison Square Garden.

It will be the champion's first fight in the United States in seven years.

Jennings is undefeated in 19 fights, with 10 knockouts. Klitschko says he has "great respect" for Jennings, who "moves well and has a refined technique."

The American also has a longer reach than the champion, although he is shorter.

Klitschko is 1.98 meters (6-foot-6) tall with a reach of 2.06 meters (81 inches). Jennings is 1.91 (6-foot-3), with a reach of 2.13 meters (84 inches).

Klitschko, who also holds the minor WBO and IBO belts, has a 63-3 record, with 54 KOs.

Nice! I don't think Jennings is ready for that fight, but he deserves a shot at a title. At least it's another potentially intriguing heavyweight fight.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject:

Oh, geez. First Kelly Pavlik goes the route that he went and Jermaine Taylor is following right behind him!

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12196764/jermain-taylor-fight-vs-sergio-mora-injury-another-arrest

marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject:

God I had completely forgotten about pavlik and taylor..
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject:

According to Rafael, looks like Mayweather-Cotto 2 is going down. Man, if that happens, Floyd is officially ducking Manny. I've always given him the benefit of the doubt but no more. There's no excuse for this fight not to happen.

I get tired of hearing, I'm my own boss. That would actually make the fight easier from his end because he is his own boss. Just utterly ridiculous.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Duckweather is the biggest (bleep) in boxing history. With some crazy irony, I would laugh my ass off if Cotto catches him with the right shot and knocks his stupid, ducking, scared ass out.

Bob Arum has promoted for the last 500 years, he is bigger than Don King in the promoting game. Using the Arum excuse is (bleep) tired. Bob Arum IS Boxing, you wanna play who has the biggest dong, go ahead, but Duckweather is a 2nd tier fighter no matter what he does if he doesnt face Pacman. You can not be the best fighter even in your era by not fighting the best fighters in their prime.

Showtime needs to get their act together in this and force it, otherwise, they need to retire from the boxing business.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:18 am    Post subject:

Haymon to unveil Spike TV series

Quote:
One week after NBC announced a multiyear deal with powerful adviser and manager Al Haymon that includes the return of boxing to network primetime, Haymon will unveil another television deal with cable network Spike TV on Thursday, multiple sources with knowledge of the series told ESPN.com.

A news conference is scheduled for Thursday afternoon at Spike TV headquarters in Santa Monica, California, although virtually no boxing media has been invited, which is similar to last week's announcement of the NBC series in New York.

In a deal similar to the one with NBC, Haymon, with tens of millions of dollars (some estimate he has as much as a $100 million war chest) from investors backing him, is buying the airtime to present bouts under the banner of his "Premier Boxing Champions" series, same as the NBC shows, as he continues his quest to change the landscape of the boxing business.

The first of multiple Spike TV cards -- the number of shows is unclear -- will take place March 13 at a location to be announced, the sources said.

The first card is slated to be headlined by former welterweight titleholder Andre Berto (29-3, 22 KOs) squaring off with fringe contender Josesito Lopez (33-6, 19 KOs). A bout between former welterweight titleholder Shawn Porter (24-1-1, 15 KOs) and Roberto Garcia (36-3, 23 KOs) is being planned as the co-feature. The level of the bouts on the first Spike card is a bit less than the what was announced for the first two NBC cards but they still appear to be competitive, exciting fights on paper.

The Spike cards will air on Friday nights and compete with ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights."

Berto rebounded from back-to-back losses to Robert Guerrero and Jesus Soto Karass -- and subsequent shoulder surgery because of an injury suffered against Soto Karass -- to outpoint Steve Upsher in September.

Lopez earned the nickname "The Riverside Rocky" -- he's from Riverside, California -- after his ninth-round knockout of former welterweight titlist Victor Ortiz in a major upset in 2012. He parlayed that win into a big money fight with then-junior middleweight titlist Canelo Alvarez and got knocked out by the much bigger man in the fifth round. A sixth-round knockout loss to Marcos Maidana followed, but Lopez is riding a three-fight winning streak since against lesser opposition.

Porter is coming off losing his world title by decision to England's Kell Brook in August. Since a decision loss to former welterweight titlist Antonio Margarito in 2010, Garcia has won eight fights in a row.

Haymon, who manages or advises more than 150 fighters, is not a licensed promoter, so the cards will be promoted by the companies he works closely with, including Warriors Boxing, Goossen Promotions and DiBella Entertainment.

Nobody from Haymon's organization was available for comment. Some of the fighters and members of their teams declined comment. A spokesman from Spike TV also declined to comment.

Haymon's NBC deal calls for 20 shows this year, including five cards on NBC on Saturday nights, six on NBC on Saturday afternoons and the remaining nine in prime time on NBC Sports Network.

The NBC series will kick off March 7 in NBC primetime at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas with welterweight titlist Keith Thurman (24-0, 21 KOs) facing former two-division titleholder Guerrero (32-2-1, 18 KOs) and former three-division titleholder Adrien Broner (29-1, 22 KOs) facing John Molina (27-5, 22 KOs) in the junior welterweight co-feature.

The second card, slated for April 11 at an East Coast site to be determined and also on NBC in primetime, will pit junior welterweight champion Danny Garcia (29-0, 17 KOs) against titleholder Lamont Peterson (33-2-1, 17 KOs) in a nontitle bout at 143 pounds.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
Duckweather is the biggest (bleep) in boxing history. With some crazy irony, I would laugh my ass off if Cotto catches him with the right shot and knocks his stupid, ducking, scared ass out.

Bob Arum has promoted for the last 500 years, he is bigger than Don King in the promoting game. Using the Arum excuse is (bleep) tired. Bob Arum IS Boxing, you wanna play who has the biggest dong, go ahead, but Duckweather is a 2nd tier fighter no matter what he does if he doesnt face Pacman. You can not be the best fighter even in your era by not fighting the best fighters in their prime.

Showtime needs to get their act together in this and force it, otherwise, they need to retire from the boxing business.

Floyd is actually doing much better without Arum. Made more money than he did with him. Way more loot. Arum's stable is so thin right now, it's comical. But he can't keep using Uncle Bob as a crutch. The way I see it, he calls out Manny when Canelo-Cotto was supposed to be going down. Then once that fight falls apart because of egos and more BS, we get Cotto in the mix; and we'll get some excuse from Floyd like Manny cant make decisions. He's not his own boss. Just utter BS. Whomever he fights, I won't watch it via PPV. I'll wait the following week unless it's Pacquiao.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:26 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
According to Rafael, looks like Mayweather-Cotto 2 is going down. Man, if that happens, Floyd is officially ducking Manny. I've always given him the benefit of the doubt but no more. There's no excuse for this fight not to happen.

I get tired of hearing, I'm my own boss. That would actually make the fight easier from his end because he is his own boss. Just utterly ridiculous.

I been saying this for the past month to fellow boxing fan here. It just makes sense for Floyd on so many levels.
1. He gets to screw Oscar and Alvarez and HBO all at the same time because the Alvarez Coto fight would be on HBO.
2. He gets to screw Uncle Bob by nixing the Pacman fight.
3. He thinks he can beat Cotto cuz he already beat him once. Where are all the Floyd don't do rematch guys now?
4. He can secure his legacy (he thinks) by fighting for the lineal middleweight strap. Not a bad idea the problem is he is gonna want to fight for it probably at a 152 lb. Catch weight.

I hope he wins the crown to be challenged immediately by GGG. You think this cat ran hard from Pacquiao, he may set a new world's record running from GGG. It would be comic gold. The guy is a joke as it is. He's in the check cashing business indeed!
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:

Yup, im right there with ya.

I'm definitely not ordering Cotto vs Floyd
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

Yup, im right there with ya.

I'm definitely not ordering Cotto vs Floyd

I'm on the bus with you guys. Floyd is turning into a huge disappointment. No more excuses, I'm done.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:

I'm glad it's gonna be Cotto 2 cuz I'm tired of there being "hope" for it to happen, only for it not to happen.

Nissan had mentioned that it's not gonna happen until September, but at that point, will anybody really care anymore? If Floyd gets passed Cotto and Manny gets past whoever he fights, I don't want to hear anything about Floyd fighting Manny anymore.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Aside from Rios vs. Alvarado on Saturday, Rocky Juarez is apparently going to be fighting on Monday?...Man, I thought the guy retired after failing so many times on world championship fights

http://fightnights.com/boxing-schedule

Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject:

I already told you guys it's not going to happen because if they make the fight then a lot of people would be losing millions.

May 2nd is Canelo's date. Canelo now needs a dance partner for May 2nd since Cotto doesn't want to sign the contract. I don't blame Cotto because why fight a guy like Canelo when he can fight Mayweather again and make more money than he would by fighting Canelo? That's one of the main reasons why Cotto did not agree to fight Canelo because he was waiting to see what happens with Floyd and Manny. Cotto knows he can always return back and start talks with Canelo's camp if Floyd agrees to fight Manny.

GBP will not be moving Canelo's return date unless Floyd fights Manny on May 2nd. Canelo will probably fight in the Alamodome against Kirkland. People don't want to see him fight Bradley.

Floyd will probably fight Cotto on May 2nd in the MGM Grand and Manny will probably fight Khan later in the summer.
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

I been saying this for the past month to fellow boxing fan here. It just makes sense for Floyd on so many levels.
1. He gets to screw Oscar and Alvarez and HBO all at the same time because the Alvarez Coto fight would be on HBO.
3. He thinks he can beat Cotto cuz he already beat him once. Where are all the Floyd don't do rematch guys now?
4. He can secure his legacy (he thinks) by fighting for the lineal middleweight strap. Not a bad idea the problem is he is gonna want to fight for it probably at a 152 lb. Catch weight.

I hope he wins the crown to be challenged immediately by GGG. You think this cat ran hard from Pacquiao, he may set a new world's record running from GGG. It would be comic gold. The guy is a joke as it is. He's in the check cashing business indeed!

How does he screw HBO, Canelo, and GBP when Canelo would still be fighting on May 2nd, even if he doesn't fight Cotto on May 2nd?

The only way GBP moves Canelo off his date is if Manny fights Floyd on May 2nd in Vegas.

I'll make it simple... the fight will get done when Floyd is about to retire and has no more cards to play. Manny will probably be his last fight.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Lee vs. Quillen in works

Quote:
A deal for middleweight titleholder Andy Lee to face former titlist "Kid Chocolate" Peter Quillin is in the works and close to being completed.

Andy Lee could see the first defense of his middleweight title come against former titlist Peter Quillin in April.

It would be ironic if they fight. Quillin gave up the belt last fall -- because manager Al Haymon did not want him to face mandatory challenger Matt Korobov on a Roc Nation Sports card after Roc Nation won the purse bid for nearly $2 million -- and then on Dec. 6 in Las Vegas, Lee won the vacant belt by coming from behind to knock out Korobov in the sixth round.

"It's in discussions and a significant possibility and it will resolve itself very soon," said Lou DiBella, Lee's promoter.

Lee (34-2, 24 KOs) has a mandatory defense due against England's Billy Joe Saunders (21-0, 11 KOs), so there are discussions going on about whether Lee can get an exception or whether Saunders will step aside.

It remains to be seen what will happen, but if there is no deal with the sanctioning body or the Saunders camp, it is possible that Lee would vacate the belt and fight Quillin (31-0, 22 KOs) in a nontitle fight since there is likely a lot more money for him in that fight than against Saunders. Still, whether it's for a belt or not, Lee-Quillin is a very attractive fight.

If Lee-Quillin happens it likely would land as the co-feature on NBC on April 11 on the same card as the Danny Garcia-Lamont Peterson fight. The site is not set but the card likely will be at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, with Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey, also mentioned as a possibility. Certainly if the fight is at the Barclays Center, Lee-Quillin makes a lot of sense given that Lee is from Ireland -- and there is a strong Irish community in New York known for supporting Irish fighters -- and Quillin is a New Yorker.

Dude fighting for the belt he gave up. Lol.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject:

Nissan wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

How does he screw HBO, Canelo, and GBP when Canelo would still be fighting on May 2nd, even if he doesn't fight Cotto on May 2nd?

The only way GBP moves Canelo off his date is if Manny fights Floyd on May 2nd in Vegas.

I'll make it simple... the fight will get done when Floyd is about to retire and has no more cards to play. Manny will probably be his last fight.

Alvarez/Cotto is obviously their biggest money fight available for that time frame. They will be scrambling to find an opponent for the May 2 date. Probably not a PPV but a regular HBO fight.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Lee vs. Quillen in works

Quote:
A deal for middleweight titleholder Andy Lee to face former titlist "Kid Chocolate" Peter Quillin is in the works and close to being completed.

Andy Lee could see the first defense of his middleweight title come against former titlist Peter Quillin in April.

It would be ironic if they fight. Quillin gave up the belt last fall -- because manager Al Haymon did not want him to face mandatory challenger Matt Korobov on a Roc Nation Sports card after Roc Nation won the purse bid for nearly $2 million -- and then on Dec. 6 in Las Vegas, Lee won the vacant belt by coming from behind to knock out Korobov in the sixth round.

"It's in discussions and a significant possibility and it will resolve itself very soon," said Lou DiBella, Lee's promoter.

Lee (34-2, 24 KOs) has a mandatory defense due against England's Billy Joe Saunders (21-0, 11 KOs), so there are discussions going on about whether Lee can get an exception or whether Saunders will step aside.

It remains to be seen what will happen, but if there is no deal with the sanctioning body or the Saunders camp, it is possible that Lee would vacate the belt and fight Quillin (31-0, 22 KOs) in a nontitle fight since there is likely a lot more money for him in that fight than against Saunders. Still, whether it's for a belt or not, Lee-Quillin is a very attractive fight.

If Lee-Quillin happens it likely would land as the co-feature on NBC on April 11 on the same card as the Danny Garcia-Lamont Peterson fight. The site is not set but the card likely will be at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, with Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey, also mentioned as a possibility. Certainly if the fight is at the Barclays Center, Lee-Quillin makes a lot of sense given that Lee is from Ireland -- and there is a strong Irish community in New York known for supporting Irish fighters -- and Quillin is a New Yorker.

Dude fighting for the belt he gave up. Lol.

I wonder if he'll be making as much as he was offered by RocNation Sports (aka Gary Shaw Promotions)?...LOL

Definitely a decent fight to watch. It'll be entertaining and a good name on both of their records. If Andy Lee pulls off the upset, I could see him facing GGG. If Kid Chocolate wins, I can't see that happening.

KobeStark
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject:

Nissan wrote:
I already told you guys it's not going to happen because if they make the fight then a lot of people would be losing millions.

May 2nd is Canelo's date. Canelo now needs a dance partner for May 2nd since Cotto doesn't want to sign the contract. I don't blame Cotto because why fight a guy like Canelo when he can fight Mayweather again and make more money than he would by fighting Canelo? That's one of the main reasons why Cotto did not agree to fight Canelo because he was waiting to see what happens with Floyd and Manny. Cotto knows he can always return back and start talks with Canelo's camp if Floyd agrees to fight Manny.

GBP will not be moving Canelo's return date unless Floyd fights Manny on May 2nd. Canelo will probably fight in the Alamodome against Kirkland. People don't want to see him fight Bradley.

Floyd will probably fight Cotto on May 2nd in the MGM Grand and Manny will probably fight Khan later in the summer.

That's starting to look like the case.....
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject:

to be honest, if I was Oscar, I'd put canelo on may 2nd.

Screw it.. and trust, the Mexican fans will back canelo.. a lot of em already don't like Floyd.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 342, 343, 344 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 343 of 514
Jump to: