General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 410, 411, 412 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject:

I hope that Oscar doesn't overly price Canelo, to prevent the GGG fight from happening. I also hope that K2 doesn't overprice GGG. We'll see if the fight actually gets made. If it does, I still see GGG coming out on top.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject:

He posted on his Twitter, that he has himself to blame and that he was ok. Was very humble afterwards and assured everyone he was ok. I think he earned a ton of respect.
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject:

Funny how Virgil and Khan bring up GGG's name after Khan got destroyed by Canelo. Do your job as a trainer and protect your fighter from someone like Canelo in the first place. Khan really had no business being in the ring with Canelo.

He should've been fighting someone like Garcia instead of fighting Canelo.

Khan said he is glad he got knocked out instead of being cheated by the judges. Cheated by the judges? He won the first two rounds and lost every round after the 2nd round to Canelo.

GGG won't fight Canelo this year unless he's willing to give the new Cash cow everything he wants. Canelo gave Cotto and Floyd everything they wanted, so it's now his turn to call all the shots and get whatever he wants. GGG better be ready to come down to 155.
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
I hope that Oscar doesn't overly price Canelo, to prevent the GGG fight from happening. I also hope that K2 doesn't overprice GGG. We'll see if the fight actually gets made. If it does, I still see GGG coming out on top.

GGG better be ready to come down to 155, give Canelo all the Mexican revenue, and a 75-25 split in Canelo's favor.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject:

Nissan wrote:
Funny how Virgil and Khan bring up GGG's name after Khan got destroyed by Canelo. Do your job as a trainer and protect your fighter from someone like Canelo in the first place. Khan really had no business being in the ring with Canelo.

Khan said he is glad he got knocked out instead of being cheated by the judges. Cheated by the judges? He won the first two rounds and lost every round after the 2nd round to Canelo.

GGG won't fight Canelo this year unless he's willing to give the new Cash cow everything he wants. Canelo gave Cotto and Floyd everything they wanted, so it's now his turn to call all the shots and get whatever he wants. GGG better be ready to come down to 155.

This is something people overlook.

For some reason or another, people put the burden on Canelo, when it should be an equal negotiation.

My general hope is that this fight happens at 160 or 158. I'm sure Canelo will be pushing for 155 though, but we shall see..

If both of these guys get their ISSHHH together, and this turns out to be a close fight, we could be looking at another great trilogy in boxing. We are talking $20M+ for canelo, and $10M+ for GGG.. 3 times, pot increasing each time (if the fights are as good as we expect them).. could be looking at $75M for canelo and $40-$50M for GGG once this is all said and done.

Who knows.

Canelo seems to struggle with these quick boxers early, but one of the beautiful things about boxing is when a boxer can accurately adjust his game plan, or execute a strategy correctly. We saw that on both ends this past weekend.. Khan came out really well the first two rounds and was landing some good punches and getting out quick. In the 3rd round though, Canelo landed some GOOD body punches that paid immediate dividends.. by the time Khan was knocked out, you saw that big bruise in his left ribs from the body punishment.

Overall i think GGG would come out on top, but canelo has progressed as a boxer, although not against great competition.. he isnt as raw as he once was. I'd be stoked if they made this fight.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject:

Nissan wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:

GGG better be ready to come down to 155, give Canelo all the Mexican revenue, and a 75-25 split in Canelo's favor.

No way. You really expect GGG to put his life on the line for that kind of split? Did you see the Khan fight? Khan dropped like a stone. I thought he may have been seriously injured. Fighting these days is All About The Benjamin's. If this fight happens I'd expect Canelo to get the Lions share. IMO 55 45 would be fair. Stepping into the four square canvas jungle ain't no joke. It's risking ones life.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Nissan wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:

No way. You really expect GGG to put his life on the line for that kind of split? Did you see the Khan fight? Khan dropped like a stone. I thought he may have been seriously injured. Fighting these days is All About The Benjamin's. If this fight happens I'd expect Canelo to get the Lions share. IMO 55 45 would be fair. Stepping into the four square canvas jungle ain't no joke. It's risking ones life.

No way?

You need to know how the boxing business works. Did you say the same thing to Floyd when DLH demanded everything he wanted? Did you say the same thing about Canelo when Cotto and Floyd demanded everything and got everything they wanted? Cotto was so petty that he even demanded to be fighting out of a certain corner with Canelo. The reason why the fight with Canelo vs. Cotto got made was because Canelo was fed up with Cotto and gave him everything he wanted to make the fight happen. Now look at him where he is at this point in his career.

Canelo is now the cash cow and gets whatever he wants.

Did you know Cotto got a 75-25 split when Canelo was just as popular at Cotto at the time? Did you complain about Cotto getting 15 million and Canelo getting 5 million? Show me a post where you said the same thing to Canelo that you're saying about GGG.

Let me ask you this... Who is the bigger star? Cotto or GGG? Who sold more tickets? Who sold more PPVs?

People need to admit this... Canelo at this point doesn't need GGG like GGG needs Canelo. Canelo has plenty of options to make millions. He can even rematch Cotto for an easy $10 million in September if he wants. He can fight JCC Jr. for an easy $10 million. What options does GGG have that would make him that kind of money?

GGG can keep begging for a fight with Canelo, or be ready to give Canelo his demands.

If you're one of the top fighters in the sport, why should you give your opponent any advantage when you're the biggest thing in boxing right now, more popular, make more money, sold more PPVs and have sold more tickets? Ask the average person who Canelo is and ask them who GGG is. GGG is only popular in the boxing community.

Do you say the same thing about the promoters who end up making more money than the fighters when the fighters are risking their lives in the ring?
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
Nissan wrote:

This is something people overlook.

For some reason or another, people put the burden on Canelo, when it should be an equal negotiation.

My general hope is that this fight happens at 160 or 158. I'm sure Canelo will be pushing for 155 though, but we shall see..

If both of these guys get their ISSHHH together, and this turns out to be a close fight, we could be looking at another great trilogy in boxing. We are talking $20M+ for canelo, and $10M+ for GGG.. 3 times, pot increasing each time (if the fights are as good as we expect them).. could be looking at $75M for canelo and $40-$50M for GGG once this is all said and done.

Who knows.

Canelo seems to struggle with these quick boxers early, but one of the beautiful things about boxing is when a boxer can accurately adjust his game plan, or execute a strategy correctly. We saw that on both ends this past weekend.. Khan came out really well the first two rounds and was landing some good punches and getting out quick. In the 3rd round though, Canelo landed some GOOD body punches that paid immediate dividends.. by the time Khan was knocked out, you saw that big bruise in his left ribs from the body punishment.

Overall i think GGG would come out on top, but canelo has progressed as a boxer, although not against great competition.. he isnt as raw as he once was. I'd be stoked if they made this fight.

At the end of the day if GGG wants the fight that bad then he will give Canelo everything he wants and get the fight done. If GGG wins then Canelo won't have any excuses if he losses to GGG.

Just look at all the recent big fights with PPV stars.... What do they all have in common? One star got everything he wanted because his opponent wanted to get the fight done. His opponent understood that you give your opponent his demands to make the fight and hope to get paid later on if you win.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject:

@Nissan I understand the nature of the beast. I don't like it. Fighting's not like going to a office, sitting behind a desk and shuffling papers. Every time a fighter goes to work he/she puts his/her life in jeopardy. It's a chosen vocation and those who chose it also chose the workings of the trade. I understand those on top have earned the right to ask for the lions share. That doesn't mean I have to like it. Understand it, yes, like it, no. I say no way because that's the way I feel.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon May 09, 2016 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject:

My issue is I'm tired of these catch weights. Too much MMA influence there.

Didn't remember much of a "catch weight" thing before MMA.

You fight at the weight it is supposed to be or else. These guys are pros, that's why you train.

Canelo is awesome, but just fight at the weight the belt is at.

If you have to do the Sugar Ray Leonard rumor of showing up with silver dollars in your pocket to add weight, then do it. Just get there.

Bye.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject:

I don't see the fight being made unless Golovkin agrees to all the GBP demands. This is where the WBC needs to step in because they have Canelo by the balls. Golovkin fought Soto Karass for the WBC interim title, basically making GGG the number one contender. He's doing everything he can to get the top dog in the ring. Martinez ran and wasn't really ready because of his injuries. Fought Cotto instead. Cotto made a business decision. And got paid fighting Canelo after saying he wasn't a 160er. And now Canelo is take over the new weight class, 155.

If I'm Golovkin, I stand firm on 160. Let Canelo have the 65-35 or 60-40 split especially if the fight is gonna be in the Sputhern part of the US. If it's neat the Mexican border, it will be packed. Oscar is trying to put an extra year on GGG and I'll be shocked if they right in September @ 160. Just a damn shame that continues to hurt the sport of boxing. Whenever we want a fight, we hafta sit through the political BS and watch the fight passed its expiration date.

WBC steps in and say this fight is set at middleweight because it is for the middleweight title. GBP can't spin that (bleep) in any possible way. If Canelo gave up his belt because of that, that would be a huge embarrassment. People are already calling him out because of the 155 demand. WBC need to get it back to it was 35 years ago.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject:

I don't see CAnelo taking the fight unless its at 155. He'll wait and wait until GGG gets older.. and then fight him when he's weathered and lost a step or two.

GGG's style is bound to wear down. Father time is undefeated.

Canelo will pull a Floyd and avoid him for a while. Which he's earned the right to do. He's A side.. simple as that. He can make the demands.

Canelo will give up the belt and fight other guys while GGG will continue to call him out and fight guys Canelo's already beaten.. like Lara.

I bet Canelo fights Manny next.

Canelo takes a lot of crap from Mexican fans who want him to just shut up and fight. They want a Chavez type fighter.. Then you got GGG who fights "mexican style." So you can see the rub.. Personally, I think Canelo is being smart.. taking a page out of Floyd's book.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject:

http://fightnights.com/boxing-schedule

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
I don't see CAnelo taking the fight unless its at 155. He'll wait and wait until GGG gets older.. and then fight him when he's weathered and lost a step or two.

Canelo will pull a Floyd and avoid him for a while. Which he's earned the right to do. He's A side.. simple as that. He can make the demands.

Canelo will give up the belt and fight other guys while GGG will continue to call him out and fight guys Canelo's already beaten.. like Lara.

Canelo takes a lot of crap from Mexican fans who want him to just shut up and fight. They want a Chavez type fighter.. Then you got GGG who fights "mexican style." So you can see the rub.. Personally, I think Canelo is being smart.. taking a page out of Floyd's book.

I'd honestly be worried for Pac if he fought Canelo at this stage in his career. Imagine if one of Canelo's bombs lands flush on Manny's chin.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject:

Old video of Kellerman explaining the dynamic between Ward vs. GGG and GGG vs Canelo.

Video is half a year old, but still 100% true.

Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

I'd honestly be worried for Pac if he fought Canelo at this stage in his career. Imagine if one of Canelo's bombs lands flush on Manny's chin.

People still think about that Marquez KO but Manny actually has a very good chin all things considered. Much better chin than Khan, moves better than Khan and has better head movement. I'd still favor Manny even at this point in his career as I think Canelo would have too much difficulty timing him. Canelo could certainly land a punch like he landed against Amir but IMO that would take some luck - he's never gonna outbox Manny...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Osei wrote:
Ted wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

People still think about that Marquez KO but Manny actually has a very good chin all things considered. Much better chin than Khan, moves better than Khan and has better head movement. I'd still favor Manny even at this point in his career as I think Canelo would have too much difficulty timing him. Canelo could certainly land a punch like he landed against Amir but IMO that would take some luck - he's never gonna outbox Manny...

That KO was a fluke. Manny had JMM on the way out. He went in to finish him, got careless and got caught.

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Wilder v. Povetkin has been cancelled because Po was caught with the same (bleep) that Sharapova was taking.

Wilder had a 4M purse coming. Hopefully he sees it because that would be pretty shaky.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Osei wrote:
Ted wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

That KO was a fluke. Manny had JMM on the way out. He went in to finish him, got careless and got caught.
lol That KO was not a fluke, It was just a perfect counter punch. Manny was winning, but in boxing we all kknow if you get careless you can get dropped.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Osei wrote:
Ted wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

lol That KO was not a fluke, It was just a perfect counter punch. Manny was winning, but in boxing we all kknow if you get careless you can get dropped.

JMM set that punch up early. Manny was aware and avoided getting hit with it. JMM was almost out on his feet. Manny got careless and got KTFO. You said as much yourself.

Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject:

LOL @ JMM's lucky punch.

JMM said all along he was going to KO Manny. Everyone knew at the time that the only way he was going to win was if he knocks out Manny. The judges were not going to give JMM the decision no matter what.

JMM was not trying to win the fight by decision. He was either going to win the fight by KO or lose the fight.

JMM was training for the KO punch all training camp. The same punch he knocked out Manny with was the same punch he knockdown his sparring partner.
In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject:

His sparring partner even mimicked Mannys double feint with the right lunge forward with the straight left. The pain still runs deep for many.
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject:

In_your_Eye wrote:
His sparring partner even mimicked Mannys double feint with the right lunge forward with the straight left. The pain still runs deep for many.

People forget that Manny went into the fight wanting to KO Marquez. Manny and his camp said before the fight they were going to KO Marquez. You can't go into the fight being over aggressive and thinking KO against Marquez. How many fighters have KO'd him before?

I guess timing your opponent is a lucky punch.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Nissan wrote:
In_your_Eye wrote:

People forget that Manny went into the fight wanting to KO Marquez. Manny and his camp said before the fight they were going to KO Marquez. You can't go into the fight being over aggressive and thinking KO against Marquez. How many fighters have KO'd him before?

I guess timing your opponent is a lucky punch.

JMM set up the punch at the very beginning of the fight. Manny saw it and avoided getting caught. What surprised me was how Manny went so long into the fight without getting careless.

Reminds me of a friend of mine, Hedgemon Lewis fights with Indian Red Lopez. Hedge would out box him for 9 rounds and got TKO'd in the 10th twice. they fought 3 times. I said Hedge you had him beat why didn't you just take the win. he said, shaking his head, man, just gotta knock him out, just gotta knock him out. I guess Manny felt the same about JMM, just had to knock him out.

Hedge swoll Jose Napoles up and got KO'd. He was a sweet boxer. I liken his abilities to Sweet Pea Whitaker. Told me once, you set up a five punch combination, start the set and take it to the end. I've seen him do it so many times. His chin was suspect.

Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject:

Manny was very careless in that fight.. that first knock down was awful.. he just stood there and took the shot.. everyone saw it coming from a mile away.

the KO was a great punch by JMM. but I doesn't diminish Manny's 3 other wins like some people say it does. yes.. 3 wins.. the judge mis-total should count for manny.

and I can't believe we're still talking about this.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 410, 411, 412 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 411 of 514
Jump to: