General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 412, 413, 414 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject:

the fight will certainly be the biggest in boxing currently..

but it won't do anywhere near what May/Pac did... which is what GBP wants. CAnelo is their cash cow.. they're not going to jeopardize that unless its going to rake in a TON of cash.

Canelo's already got a loss on his ledger.. a loss from GGG would cripple his star power.

And Canelo would get smashed by GGG.. it would be embarrassing.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
he's doing what GBP wants him to do. which is the right move for him.. not for the fans.. but for him..

the fight isn't big enough probably for him to risk getting smashed by GGG.
The fight is the biggest fight going in boxing right now. There is no bigger fight. I dont think he's going to duck GGG at all anyways. I think he just wants it on his terms which i have no problem with. He should be doing it that way. WE all know belts dont really mean anything any more. Its all about the fighters.

Im not going to throw a fit saying ooh he's a Bleep or he's scared or anything. Ill stay Neutral and wait to see whats going to happen. BTW, i dont think Canelo is scared of GGG AT ALL. GGG hasnt fought any one. Im not saying he's not good. I just dont think he's the monster that people are trying to make him be.

There are two monsters fighting today, GGG and Kovalev. Canelo is made to order for GGG, he'll stand and fight.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Had to share this video : BJ Saunders discussing Golovkin, Alvarez, and Eubank Jr
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
(bleep) move by GBP. WBC had them by the sac and they said you're not gonna tell us what to do. Keep your belt. They didn't give it up before the Khan fight. I like that it screws a sanctioning body but at the same time, it shows you that GBP is gonna try to drag this into next year and add another year on Golovkin. I'll be shocked if they fight in September.

Smart move if you ask me. The bid amount is split between the fighters, generally a 55-45 split in the case of a WBC title fight between a titleholder and interim titlist. So alveraz is giving up a 70/30 split from a mandatory to 55/45 for the interim titlist and going to fight at 160 also. That's not going to happen. By dropping the belt they are not bound by those terms and can negotiate a better deal. Triple g is going to have to budge on the money or the weight. Sadly if he doesn't Canelo is still going to get the blame if the fight doesn't happen
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject:

charlo.. dang...
In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject:

[/quote]Canelo has said repeatedly that he's going to move up and they will fight. That's my biggest pickle with the whole situation, GGG gets the pass for progressing his career the way he wants and Canelo is held to another standard. One guy has taken risks the other really has not. I'm not a fan of his 155 antics but I don't think he's a coward/ducker either. He wanted the Cotto fight for what that fight meant, Mexican vs Puerto Rican, PPV $$$ and Cotto is a pretty damn good win. Canelo should just dump the belt so the whole 160 conversation will just die until Canelo legitimately fights at 160.[/quote]

Why write the same thing twice. Of course you'll have the fans who kick and scream and get their panties in a bunch because they want the fight NOW. Canelo's team will progress his career on their terms, why shouldn't they, they hold all the marbles unless your high on Internet forum respect.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:

The Charlo brothers didn't impress me in this outing. Jermell was behind on the score cards when he caught Jackson. He knew he was behind, his corner told him. Jermall had his hands full with Trout. A close fight. Neither is ready for Canelo. Lara was Lara. I thought Martirosyan won rounds with his body attack.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
(bleep) move by GBP. WBC had them by the sac and they said you're not gonna tell us what to do. Keep your belt. They didn't give it up before the Khan fight. I like that it screws a sanctioning body but at the same time, it shows you that GBP is gonna try to drag this into next year and add another year on Golovkin. I'll be shocked if they fight in September.

Smart move if you ask me. The bid amount is split between the fighters, generally a 55-45 split in the case of a WBC title fight between a titleholder and interim titlist. So alveraz is giving up a 70/30 split from a mandatory to 55/45 for the interim titlist and going to fight at 160 also. That's not going to happen. By dropping the belt they are not bound by those terms and can negotiate a better deal. Triple g is going to have to budge on the money or the weight. Sadly if he doesn't Canelo is still going to get the blame if the fight doesn't happen

Very good move when it comes to the purse but the boxing community has kinda soured on Canelo. And I really don't think it's him. It's Oscar, a dude who fought everyone. 70-30 may be too steep and I think he coulda kept the belt and the WBC woulda budged on the 55-45. To get this fight made, they would have moved that percentage.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

Very good move when it comes to the purse but the boxing community has kinda soured on Canelo. And I really don't think it's him. It's Oscar, a dude who fought everyone. 70-30 may be too steep and I think he coulda kept the belt and the WBC woulda budged on the 55-45. To get this fight made, they would have moved that percentage.

The percentages for the fighters in WBC championship fights is 70-30 for the champ in a purse bid (Alvarez) I don't know where the 55-45 mandatory split came from. But if Alvarez just let it go to a purse bid he would have gotten 70 percent. However Oscar definitely doesn't want it to go to purse bid because it is highly likely it could go to some other promoter.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

The percentages for the fighters in WBC championship fights is 70-30 for the champ in a purse bid (Alvarez) I don't know where the 55-45 mandatory split came from. But if Alvarez just let it go to a purse bid he would have gotten 70 percent. However Oscar definitely doesn't want it to go to purse bid because it is highly likely it could go to some other promoter.

Yup. Just think if Canelo v GGG was brought to you by PBC. Lol. Would that be the biggest slap in the face? Just not like the old days where a guy work his ass off to get that belt, and gives it up so easily.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

I don't know why people have soured on him. Floyd had a catchweight fight with Marquez and didn't even make the weight. Manny had a catchweight fight against cotto. Cotto made Sergio Martinez and Canelo give into his demands before he fought them. If your the a side of the promotion you get the advantage. Now that Canelo has paid his dues and reached this level he is supposed to give up the advantages that he's earned and gave to other fighters. Now fans want him to fight at 160 a weight he's never weighed in at and give 50/50. I understand that this is boxing. Like the poster said above they are not bashing triple g to move up but want Canelo to. The argument I keep hearing is that he weighs 175 180 at fight night. if you make the weight at weigh in the fight goes on. Canelo is able to do this and still be comfortable in the ring. Dawson drained himself going down to 168 to fight ward and you could see it fight night. Cotto complained about the 2 pounds he fought below 147 when he fought pacquiao. Triple g doesn't want 155 because he knows the weight will affect him on fight night. If deontay wilder wants to fight at middleweight if he makes 160 fight is on. It doesn't matter what you weight after the weigh in unless there is a rehydration clause
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Anybody watch the fights this weekend?

I had Vanes Martirosiyan beating Lara by 1 round (114-113, due to the 1 point deduction Vanes received).

Jermell Charlo, I had him losing the fight before he got the KO.

Jermall Charlo looked like he really should move up to middleweight. He looked huge and almost like the weight cut to 154 might be too much for him. He didn't have the same pop that I've seen him have in other fights.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Had to share this video : BJ Saunders discussing Golovkin, Alvarez, and Eubank Jr

Saunders impressed me with what he did against Andy Lee, who I thought would beat Saunders easily. At least he's being real, especially when mentioning his conversation with Eubank.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
Anybody watch the fights this weekend?

I had Vanes Martirosiyan beating Lara by 1 round (114-113, due to the 1 point deduction Vanes received).

Jermell Charlo, I had him losing the fight before he got the KO.

Jermall Charlo looked like he really should move up to middleweight. He looked huge and almost like the weight cut to 154 might be too much for him. He didn't have the same pop that I've seen him have in other fights.

I didn't score the Martirosiyan, Lara fight but thought Martirosivan's body attack could have won the close rounds.

Jermall was losing the fight. His corner told him so. He admitted as much.

Maybe the weight was a little much. I don't think he's ready for Canelo.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject:

So, it seems the Canelo vs. GGG talks have been non-existent since Canelo vacated the belt and with that lawsuit pending against Canelo, not likely we'll hear anything about that fight being discussed. Regardless, I wasn't holding my breathe waiting for that fight to be made because I never believed it truly would be made anyway.

That said, if K2 Promotions advises GGG to move on from that, Danny Jacobs is one of GGG's mandatory's, since Jacobs is the "regular" champion (can't remember which sanctioning body has that ridiculous "super" and "regular" champion status). I can just see it now. All the haters will say that GGG is ducking/dodging Lara. And that would be the worst statement I've ever seen and would prove to me that they don't follow boxing. I would absolutely love to see GGG vs. Jacobs. I'd still peg GGG to win, but don't count Jacobs out at all. I thought Kid Chocolate would end up beating Jacobs, but it ended up being the opposite. And after that, if Golden Boy is still making excuses not to make the fight, let Lara have a shot of moving up to fight GGG or fight Billy Joe Saunders to truly become the undisputed Middleweight champion. Anybody that talks nonsense about Jacobs or Billy Joe Saunders not being credible opponents, truly don't follow the sport at all.

In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Jacobs would be awesome but highly unlikely to happen next. You have Al Haymon and HBO again although they did work together for Wade and GGG but this fight is more lucrative. You also have Jacobs trainer saying that Jacobs would have been ready for GGG if they would have had 2 fights after fighting Quillen, feels Jacobs has been inactive to jump on in. Saunders wants like 5 million, hopefully they can iron something out.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject:

Boxing for the long weekend:
http://ringtv.craveonline.com/schedule

http://fightnights.com/boxing-schedule

In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

http://i63.tinypic.com/125o0mf.jpg

This had me rolling.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject:

Just sad. Oscar said he was gonna add some age to GGG. And that's what he's doing. Then GGG will be going on 36 and Oscar is gonna try to chase him down for the fight.

Canelo didn't have to give up his belt and I applaud the WBC for checking his ass. If you think they wouldn't have budged on that 55-45 purse split, you're crazy. To make that fight, they would have moved mountains. It wasn't just a 15 day deadline. These talks have been going on for months plus 15 days. There was never no real attempt in fighting Golovkin. And now they're at a crossroads. Canelo won't be fighting the best opponents. He's gonna be fighting names.

If you have a decent name, you will get a fight. Pacquiao is the name of choice. Don't see him fighting any of the 154ers. Oscar is just going back on his word of making the best possible fights for the sport.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject:

In_your_Eye wrote:
http://i63.tinypic.com/125o0mf.jpg

This had me rolling.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Nonito Donaire vs. Jessie Magdaleno would be a very entertaining fight and huge step up for Magdaleno

http://www.boxingscene.com/nonito-donaire-headed-jessie-magdaleno-clash-next--105012

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Boxing Schedule starting tomorrow:

http://fightnights.com/boxing-schedule

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/schedule

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Ali is in the hospital. Not doing well. Damn.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Salido - Vargas scrap this weekend should be quite the war. Glad to see Salido making some good money in his career. The guy brings it every time out there. Looking forward to the Lomachenko - Rocky Martinez bout coming up soon. Martinez fought 2 absolute wars with Salido . Lomachenko better not over look this guy.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Tomorrows card will start with that sad ten bell count. Damn, 2016 is taking out every one.

THE GREATEST
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 412, 413, 414 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 413 of 514
Jump to: