General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 418, 419, 420 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject:

I would have been satisfied with a draw in the Carl Frampton vs Leo Santa Cruz fight.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject:

I thought maybe I was biased and was just missing something. Thought the announcing was heavily favoring Frampton but I had it a draw as well. I thought that second round "stun" was more from catching him off balance than actually hurting Leo. Either way I think Cruz just got shown how many holes he has in his game.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject:

In_your_Eye wrote:
I thought maybe I was biased and was just missing something. Thought the announcing was heavily favoring Frampton but I had it a draw as well. I thought that second round "stun" was more from catching him off balance than actually hurting Leo. Either way I think Cruz just got shown how many holes he has in his game.

There were definitely some shots that the announcing team didn't talk about Santa Cruz landing.

I wasn't really mad at Frampton getting the decision because there were a few rounds that there could be arguments made for either guy, but no way it was a lopsided 117-111 fight. I've always been a little bit suspect if Leo was as good as he's been made out to be by boxing analysts, until he completely picked Mares apart with boxing. That changed my opinion about him.

Frampton, I actually felt similarly about him, especially in his fight prior to Quigg. When he picked Quigg apart, I was more impressed. And that's also one of the reasons I was hoping for at least a majority draw. The 2 guys really did seem on par.

If Lomachenko were to have stayed at 126, I think he would've demolished both of them. Now that he's moved up to 130, he looks like a beast at that weight. Seemed like the years of draining down to 126 might have zapped the power that he should have been getting out of his punches.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject:

In_your_Eye wrote:

Yeah I was at the fight (and up close in a pretty good seat) and actually thought Santa Cruz edged it. While watching the fight it was clear to me that Frampton was technically the better boxer and was generally landing the cleaner, harder shots but I still thought Santa Cruz edged it on activity and outpointed Frampton. Thought the raucous crowd probably influenced the scoring a bit. I'll have to watch the fight again but the fight was highly entertaining live - definitely in the top 2 or 3 of fights I've ever been to...
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Manny Pacquiao: Jessie Vargas named as opponent for 5 November bout

Source: Link

I expected him to pick Vargas over Crawford, and I think Manny can handle Vargas easily.

Also, I am looking forward to seeing Andre Ward in action on Saturday (despite the mismatch), and I cannot wait for Kovalev/Ward in November!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Manny Pacquiao: Jessie Vargas named as opponent for 5 November bout

Source: Link

I expected him to pick Vargas over Crawford, and I think Manny can handle Vargas easily.

Also, I am looking forward to seeing Andre Ward in action on Saturday (despite the mismatch), and I cannot wait for Kovalev/Ward in November!

SMH...I have no desire to contribute money to that fight. I love Manny for what he did in the sport, but fighting Jessie Vargas is almost as ridiculous as him fighting Algieri before.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Schedule for the weekend:

http://fightnights.com/boxing-schedule

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/schedule

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Devin Haney is gonna be a problem for the rest of the boxing world when he hits his prime.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject:

Wow, this is actually really surprising on the results of the 30 day weigh-in

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/kell-brook-weighs-11lbs-more-than-gennady-golovkin-for-wbc-30-day-weigh-in/

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject:

Not sure if any of you heard, but the Ward vs. Kovalev fight isn't as "done" as we all thought:

http://www.boxingscene.com/kovalevs-promoter-frustrated-expresses-doubt-on-ward-fight--107558

Apparently, Roc Nation is bringing up issues now, with the Agreement. One of which, is the venue!...WTF have they been doing all this time? They had so much time to bring up any issues they might have had, but to bring htem up after the Agreements were already executed? SMH

Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
Not sure if any of you heard, but the Ward vs. Kovalev fight isn't as "done" as we all thought:

http://www.boxingscene.com/kovalevs-promoter-frustrated-expresses-doubt-on-ward-fight--107558

Apparently, Roc Nation is bringing up issues now, with the Agreement. One of which, is the venue!...what the heck have they been doing all this time? They had so much time to bring up any issues they might have had, but to bring htem up after the Agreements were already executed? SMH

my fear all along.. they realize that the fight isn't big enough and wait..
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/kell-brook-weighs-11lbs-more-than-gennady-golovkin-for-wbc-30-day-weigh-in/

I am actually not surprised by the 30 day weigh-in. Brook was the Canelo of the Welterweight division; he is naturally, significantly bigger than most welterweight fighters, but he cuts a massive amount of weight to have an advantage when he re-hydrates on fight night.

Thugnomoe wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:

Apparently, Roc Nation is bringing up issues now, with the Agreement. One of which, is the venue!...what the heck have they been doing all this time? They had so much time to bring up any issues they might have had, but to bring htem up after the Agreements were already executed? SMH

That, or Andre Ward realizes he is not ready for Kovalev (especially not outside of Oakland). When a fighter does not want to fight someone, the inability to get the fight made usually gets attributed to failed "negotiations." That said, I have never seen Ward duck someone before, so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt for now.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:

I am actually not surprised by the 30 day weigh-in. Brook was the Canelo of the Welterweight division; he is naturally, significantly bigger than most welterweight fighters, but he cuts a massive amount of weight to have an advantage when he re-hydrates on fight night.

Thugnomoe wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:

That, or Andre Ward realizes he is not ready for Kovalev (especially not outside of Oakland). When a fighter does not want to fight someone, the inability to get the fight made usually gets attributed to failed "negotiations." That said, I have never seen Ward duck someone before, so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Regarding, Brook. I always thought he was a big Welterweight, but 30 days out and he's 15 pounds away from Middleweight...and he doesn't look fat in the pics that I've seen, of that weigh-in? That means he has to be walking around normally at around 185ish. That's 28 pounds to get down to 147! That's nuts.

As for Dre, I truly don't believe it's him. He has never showed that diva type mentality throughout his entire career. This all stinks of his promotional team trying to find a way out of it, if anything, especially if Cotto retires within the next year or so...that'd mean Dre is their only "big" meal ticket.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Boxing schedule. Sorry guys. It's my crazy time at work

http://fightnights.com/boxing-schedule

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/schedule

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Haven't been able to keep up with (bleep) for last couple weeks. Had to bury my mom. Anything popped off??? What I miss???
In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject:

Brook is going to feel it. There's only so much lean muscle you can put on. He's going to have to go for bulk which is going to effect his speed and stamina. I give him 5 rounds of decent boxing and fatigue will start to show its face.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject:

not to mention that he's going to feel real middle weight power.. Massive middle weight power.. he better grease up the bike.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
not to mention that he's going to feel real middle weight power.. Massive middle weight power.. he better grease up the bike.

That's what GGG want him to do. He loves to fight guys that try to stick and move because his ability to cut off the ring is elite.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

That's what GGG want him to do. He loves to fight guys that try to stick and move because his ability to cut off the ring is elite.

Agreed. No point in running from GGG because he will cut off the ring, wear you down with body shots, and eventually stop you. I honestly think Brook's best chance is to catch GGG with a lucky punch early in the fight and KO him.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject:

lol.. what's your other choice? get KO'ed? run brook run!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Haven't been able to keep up with (bleep) for last couple weeks. Had to bury my mom. Anything popped off??? What I miss???

Damn...didn't see this until today. Condolences to you and the familly, dough. Prayers and thoughts with you, brotha.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/8/17/12521242/hbo-passes-on-pacquiao-vs-vargas-fight-drops-pacquiaos-contract

Wow

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject:

I haven't seen any recent updates if the venue was worked out

http://www.boxingscene.com/kovalevs-promoter-andre-ward-fight-absolutely-go-1119--107644

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

Damn...didn't see this until today. Condolences to you and the familly, dough. Prayers and thoughts with you, brotha.

Thanks. Pretty tough blow. She was diagnosed with multiple myeloma last year and didn't tell anyone until July 19. Then had to watch her go from a 66 year old woman to an 86 year old woman in three weeks. Brutal.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/8/17/12521242/hbo-passes-on-pacquiao-vs-vargas-fight-drops-pacquiaos-contract

Wow

HBO saw the writing on the walls with Vargas. If that were Floyd, Kovalev and Ward PPV would have continued and they would have aired Pac-May again even though the first one was a stinker
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 418, 419, 420 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 419 of 514
Jump to: