General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 424, 425, 426 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Had the knockdown putting Kovalev ahead but I could see the swing rounds being given to Ward. I think Ward widens the gap in a rematch.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject:

In the beginning it looked like it was going to be a short night. Andre showed why he's a champion.

Ward benefited from HCA. I thought a lot of rounds could have gone either way. I guess they went Andre's way most of the time.

I thought Kovalev won or at best the fight should have been a draw. I think Andre did also. He looked surprised when the score went his way.

Kovalev surprised Andre with his boxing skills, surprised me also. Andre's body shots slowed Kovalev down late in the fight but Andre still could hurt him. The body shots took some of the sting out of Sergey's punches but they were still hurting Andre.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject:

i had it 114-113 for kovalev.. was debating on 115-112..

i heard the 114-113's i was like dang i was pretty spot on... then i heard "and new...." welp.. haha
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject:

Kovalev was up by 3 points after the first 2 rounds. To get that decision you have to have Ward winning 7 of the last ten rounds. Kovalev out jabbed the jabber and out power punched him too. And put him down for good measure. Worse decision than Pacquiao Bradley 1.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Kovalev was up by 3 points after the first 2 rounds. To get that decision you have to have Ward winning 7 of the last ten rounds. Kovalev out jabbed the jabber and out power punched him too. And put him down for good measure. Worse decision than Pacquiao Bradley 1.

Basically. Question you have to ask is did Kovy only win three rounds after round two???
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Basically. Question you have to ask is did Kovy only win three rounds after round two???

Yep.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Loma and Walters should be a decent scrap
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Could have gone either way. Watched the fight again and had it Ward 114-113. Lol

Crazy
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject:

The days of Walters being an elite fighter maybe over. I agree with him that the lack of activity may have hurt him but part of that is on him. If he really wants to fight get on your promoter and demand fights or switch promotional teams. Luis Ortiz did just that. He bought out his contract with GBP and signed with Eddie Hearns. Ortiz just fought November 15 and will fight again on December 10th. He wants the short path to Anthony Joshua since it appears Al isn't going to let Wilder fight him.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Could have gone either way. Watched the fight again and had it Ward 114-113. Lol

Crazy

me too.. and I thought he was going to get smoked by Kovalev.

I also agree that in a rematch, Ward widens the gap.

SOG is a beast.. to come back from that knockdown was ridiculous. Sergei is a killer.. and Ward gathered himself and out boxed him the rest of the way. Ward is going to be the next Floyd.. only with more power.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

Crazy

me too.. and I thought he was going to get smoked by Kovalev.

I also agree that in a rematch, Ward widens the gap.

SOG is a beast.. to come back from that knockdown was ridiculous. Sergei is a killer.. and Ward gathered himself and out boxed him the rest of the way. Ward is going to be the next Floyd.. only with more power.

I also thought it was going to be a early night for SOG. He showed championship caliber and determination. I think Andre was surprised by Sergey's boxing skills. I know I was. His jab is like a power shot.

Walters was a disappointment. He straight gave up.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject:

lomachenko is legit.

walters has no heart. he was walking away partway through the 7th round.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject:

I'm not completely sold. I know he had something like 397-1 amateur fights but I don't know what kind of competition he faced. He's only had 8 pro fights. I'm surprised that he got title fights with so little pro experience.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject:

17 year old Devin Haney is very impressive.

He stays at fighting weight at all times. But I guess that isn't too hard at his age, right?
The whole fight was fun to watch.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Been crazy busy since Thanksgiving (and trying to fight off a cold), so I hadn't gotten a chance to come in and discuss.

I had Kovalev winning 114-113, but wasn't mad at Dre getting the win either. After re-watching the fight on clearer picture on the replay, still had the same score (6-6 on rounds w/ point deducted from Ward for getting knocked down), but could easily see how arguments could be made on Dre winning 7 rounds to 5. Only thing that really bothered me about the decisions is how the judges got there. I think boxing needs to improve viewing angles for the judges. Seeing it from only a single vantage point, it seems clear to me that depending on the angle that the judge is viewing, they might miss some big/important shots, that the other 2 angles see clearly.

As for Lomachenko vs. Walters...ugh. Walters lost all my respect for quitting. Quitting like that will land him zero TV opportunities in the future. Lomachenko also showed how good of a boxer he is. Walters looked so confused at what to do in there.

More boxing this coming weekend.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Yesss!!!! I am gonna buy tix for this one.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2016/11/29/13776768/brandon-rios-gives-update-on-fight-with-victor-ortiz

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Pretty good amount of fights this weekend. And quality, not just prospects:

http://fightnights.com/boxing-schedule

Surprising to see a name on there, that I haven't heard in quite some time. Kermit Cintron is fighting on a non-televised card.

gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject:

I don't know how likely it actually is, but there could be not just one, but two Mexican-American heavyweight champs this weekend.

Espn had some articles on both guys Ruiz Jr. and Molina.

Who knows?

I just like that it's not washed up Arreola who could never get it together.

Bye.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject:

I'm looking forward to watching Charlo vs. Williams this weekend. I haven't watched any of their fights before, but it should be a good match-up from what I've heard. Also, I am curious to see how good Charlo performs if he's planning to move to 160 for a potential showdown with GGG (his claim). Finally, Joshua will destroy Molina, and I'll watch the replay of that one.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
I'm looking forward to watching Charlo vs. Williams this weekend. I haven't watched any of their fights before, but it should be a good match-up from what I've heard. Also, I am curious to see how good Charlo performs if he's planning to move to 160 for a potential showdown with GGG (his claim). Finally, Joshua will destroy Molina, and I'll watch the replay of that one.

I've got that on record. I wasn't that impressed with Charlo's last fight against Austin Trout. I don't know if it was Trout's experience or if Jermall is overrated. Looking forward to a good card. Hasn't been one on National TV for some time.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

I've got that on record. I wasn't that impressed with Charlo's last fight against Austin Trout. I don't know if it was Trout's experience or if Jermall is overrated. Looking forward to a good card. Hasn't been one on National TV for some time.

Rumor has it that Charlo is killing himself to make 154, which is why he faded in the second half of that fight. If true, he could be in trouble against Williams. It may be better for Charlo to move up if he won't face his bro or Lara (I doubt Canelo will fight him) since Charlo will be able to face all of the other contenders who are ducking GGG (Jacobs, BJS, Eubank Jr, etc.).
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Well, there went that for Mexican-Americans this weekend.

Ruiz should have been given at least a draw in a somewhat controversial decision, but that smelled like home cooking.

Just finished watching the Molina-Joshua fight. Whoa, Molina, he didn't even show up for the fight. That fight was disappointing and pitiful. It didn't prove much for either Molina or Joshua in a sense.

Alright, anybody have any theories on why Latinos can't put up a real championship worthy fighter in the heavyweight division?

Bye.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject:

epic KO
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Charlo getting booed by the crowd because he wouldn't accept William's apology. I think he was hurt by the crowds reaction to his non acceptance of the apology. The embrace after the fight didn't seem to be honest. Jermall still didn't seem pleased with Julian.

He showed his power, knocking Julian down with a jab. The KO was text book. Took his time, picked his spots, took maximum advantage of a hurt opponent.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject:

I can see Ruiz getting a draw. Maybe this was a money decision. Parker's 21-0 record will generate a larger crowd.

Molina's corner had no thoughts about his safety. Crawford treated him like a sparing partner. He did what ever he wanted to whenever he wanted to. I also think the referee should have used his power to stop the fight. Molina had no chance.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 424, 425, 426 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 425 of 514
Jump to: