General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 427, 428, 429 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
I think Broner is going to have his hands full with Granados. If anyone saw Granados fight
Amir Imam he out worked and just wore him out. He was brought in to lose against Imam and it's the same with Broner, but there is no quit in this kid and if Broner doesn't take him seriously it could be a long night for the Problem.

Bronzer has serious balance, power and speed. What's the point in having all of that when you throw twelve punches per round? Terrible.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
I think Broner is going to have his hands full with Granados. If anyone saw Granados fight
Amir Imam he out worked and just wore him out. He was brought in to lose against Imam and it's the same with Broner, but there is no quit in this kid and if Broner doesn't take him seriously it could be a long night for the Problem.

Bronzer has serious balance, power and speed. What's the point in having all of that when you throw twelve punches per round? Terrible.

When he fights off his front foot behind the jab he is such a different fighter. But he only does that for parts of a couple rounds otherwise it's sitting back trying to load up on the right. I d9nt think Virgil Hunter is going to do anything to change that. But who knows?
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Davis destroyed Pedraza.

Great fight Jack and DeGale. Badu Jack almost KO'd Arthur Mccanty.

I had Jack wining.

Davis should be arrested.

Haven't seen the DeGalr Jack fight yet. I'll check that out tomorrow. I think the promoters are feeling the pressure from MMA and so far in this new year, Floyd has put on a really decent card. And we have many good scraps coming up through March.

PBC is getting pressure from the networks and that kitty is running low. Have no choice but to put Garcia vs. Thurman

I feel really good about 2017 for boxing.

Watch for Jack almost KOing referee Mccanty. Made his knees buckle.

But Arthur stayed on his feet! That was probably the most impressive display of having a chin, in the ring! Fight was very entertaining though. I actually didn't mind the draw decision.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
jodeke wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Davis destroyed Pedraza.

I had Jack wining.

Haven't seen the DeGalr Jack fight yet. I'll check that out tomorrow. I think the promoters are feeling the pressure from MMA and so far in this new year, Floyd has put on a really decent card. And we have many good scraps coming up through March.

PBC is getting pressure from the networks and that kitty is running low. Have no choice but to put Garcia vs. Thurman

But Arthur stayed on his feet! That was probably the most impressive display of having a chin, in the ring! Fight was very entertaining though. I actually didn't mind the draw decision.
I had it 114 113 Jack. I can go with the draw. Jack almost KO'd DeGale. Have to give DeGale his props. He was throwing Everlasts with authority almost out on his feet to the end.

Mccanty showed the chin of a champion. He looked like PBF when Mosley caught him. He did the Huckle Buck.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

DeGale threw many flashy punches that landed on Jack's gloves. Though Jack's body work wore DeGale down. Tough fight tonjudge. I'm happy with the draw but if I had to pick a winner, I'd go with Jack.

Think that tenth round was key because that was a round DeGale probably won when Jack had all the momentum. DeGale could have had a point taken because of the mouthpiece. A lot of the punches Jack landed went to the body. Not a sexy punch unless it's makes someone take a knee.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject:

I had Jack winning, as well, given the late KD, but a draw is fair. Not sure which fight the judge who had DeGale winning saw (maybe, he fell asleep for the second half of the fight?).
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject:

In_your_Eye wrote:
Quote:
Even Andre Ward gets stopped by GGG at 168 barring a gift decision, multiple headbutts, or retirement from Dre. Inside fighting is a strength of GGG, not a weakness like with Kovalev.

Getting tagged by Kell Brook and Andre stepping in the ring with a waaay bigger fighter and puncher certainly goes in the opposite direction of this prediction. Canelo vs Chavez is going to do well, its two Mexicans who have been bad mouthing each other since Canelo called him out years ago for only having clout because of his dad.

G routinely invites weaker punchers to hit him, and I suspect he abandoned any defense after realizing Kell couldn't hurt him. Most analysts and fans (including myself) believe Dre lost the fight to Kov, but I do give him credit for taking the fight and surviving the early KD. Kov is clearly a bigger fighter than GGG, but Kov himself has admitted that G hits harder (and he was also dropped by G in sparring according to Freddie Roach and Abel Sanchez).

Chavez Jr. is a bum who should not (and would not) be fighting on TV if not for his father's last name.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
In_your_Eye wrote:
Quote:
Even Andre Ward gets stopped by GGG at 168 barring a gift decision, multiple headbutts, or retirement from Dre. Inside fighting is a strength of GGG, not a weakness like with Kovalev.

Getting tagged by Kell Brook and Andre stepping in the ring with a waaay bigger fighter and puncher certainly goes in the opposite direction of this prediction. Canelo vs Chavez is going to do well, its two Mexicans who have been bad mouthing each other since Canelo called him out years ago for only having clout because of his dad.

G routinely invites weaker punchers to hit him, and I suspect he abandoned any defense after realizing Kell couldn't hurt him. Most analysts and fans (including myself) believe Dre lost the fight to Kov, but I do give him credit for taking the fight and surviving the early KD. Kov is clearly a bigger fighter than GGG, but Kov himself has admitted that G hits harder (and he was also dropped by G in sparring according to Freddie Roach and Abel Sanchez).

Chavez Jr. is a bum who should not (and would not) be fighting on TV if not for his father's last name.

The look of surprise on Dre's face when the decisiion was announced made me think he thought he'd lost too.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Jack get 700k and DeGale gets 750k for the fight. It's a trip when you breakdown the cuts of a fighter's purse. You really see why fighters try so hard to get that big check. I'll try to low ball the figures.

700k for Jack

5-10% for trainer
15% for Floyd or Haymon
2-5% cutman

20% on the low end. 20% of 700k is 140k leaving Jack with 560k.

Oh, don't forget Sam. Say he blesses Jack by taking 40% if he's lucky. There's another 220k.

Leaving Jack with about 335k. Nice payday. But makes you really think about how it was when Don King was take 50% from fighters in the 80's which made the government step in and drop the manager's fee to 33% of the fighters purse.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:
jodeke wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Davis destroyed Pedraza.

I had Jack wining.

I had it 114 113 Jack. I can go with the draw. Jack almost KO'd DeGale. Have to give DeGale his props. He was throwing Everlasts with authority almost out on his feet to the end.

Mccanty showed the chin of a champion. He looked like PBF when Mosley caught him. He did the Huckle Buck.

jo - He did the mini chicken dance, but didn't need to hold on! That was freaking impressive. And he got nailed a few times by Badou, at the end of some of the rounds. Actually, I think the most classic moment was when Baddou was talking with him, after the fight, and at one point Baddou pointed to his chin, as if inviting Arthur to take a free shot at him for the times that he nailed him during the fight. That was pretty funny. Arthur showed his grit as a ref by declining the offer, but still a classic moment.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Fight schedule this weekend, starting tomorrow:

http://fightnights.com/boxing-schedule

Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

Here's my prefight analysis and betting prediction for the Frampton/Santa Cruz fight tonight: http://masterclassboxing.blogspot.com/2017/01/santa-cruz-vs-frampton-ii-prefight.html

Should be a good one...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Mikey Garcia destroyed Dejan Zlaticanin. The way he hit the canvas I was concerned for him. Weeks knew right away it was over. He didn't even start a count. It was obvious from the opening bell Mikey was going to win. His jab was lethal.

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject:

Thought Mikey killed that dude.

Santa Cruz shook up Team Frampton by actually using a jab. Went Rocky3 on that ass when Apollo Creed tried to teach Rocky how to box and move. Close fight but I had Leo winning.

On HBO All those battles with Francisco Vargas finally caught up with him. Dude needs to take some serious time off.
NickDaQwik
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject:

Garcia looked great tonight controlling the fight with his jab. Such a great fundamental boxer. Don't know the likelihood of them meeting, but I would love to see Lomachenko face Garcia.

Close fight between Frampton and Santa Cruz. Had Santa Cruz in a close one. Santa Cruz boxed well behind the jab, and ripped Frampton often with the left hook to the body on the inside. Really surprised with Frampton admitting Santa Cruz won in the post fight. Most guys give the proverbial "close fight but I still thought I won the fight".
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

I thought Santa Cruz did a little to much brawling. He was winning when he boxed. His body work was key. He hurt Dejan a couple of times to the body. I gave him rounds when he used it. I had it 117 114 Leo.

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Mikey Garcia taking 3 years off was a horrible career move. At the time he went on hiatus he was on the cusp of being a PPV headliner now he's on the undercard of a Santa Cruz fight. If he had stayed the course and fought out his contract even sparsely he would be in the talk for P4P king. Now he's going to have to take B side money to fight Lomachenko if he can even get that fight considering the politics.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Mikey Garcia taking 3 years off was a horrible career move. At the time he went on hiatus he was on the cusp of being a PPV headliner now he's on the undercard of a Santa Cruz fight. If he had stayed the course and fought out his contract even sparsely he would be in the talk for P4P king. Now he's going to have to take B side money to fight Lomachenko if he can even get that fight considering the politics.

True the decision to stay out did hurt him. He was in the P4P discussion before he left. I think PPV should go back to the way it was. Fights people really wants to see. Some of the PPV's we've seen in the last few years have been crazy and should be on Showtime or HBO. Hell, Roy Jones had a PPV fight at 46 or 47. Could Mikey be a Canelo type? With the Mexican fight fans behind him, I could definitely see it. But he's gotta be in there with a Broner type who people can hate on.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Just watched that Francisco Vargas fight again. Muira then Salido and now this young hungry kid who has 27 KO's. That's just too much. Feel free to mix in a tune up or two. Danny Garcia did it the right way before fighting Thurman.

Vargas gotta take some time off. His cuts will probably never heal. Dude sneezes and he's busted open.
Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:

The thing with Mikey is he's one of those athletes who only does it because he happens to be very good at it - he's not passionate about boxing (he's even admitted this himself). So sitting out a couple years wasn't really a big thing to him as he was financially comfortable after his previous fights anyway... he felt like he was being screwed by Top Rank so in his mind sitting out was the right thing to do. If he'd never boxed again I don't think he would've been devastated by that.

It's my understanding Mikey graduated from a police academy and considered a career in law enforcement earlier on in his career rather than boxing...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject:

So hype for the Mayweather McGregor fight is heating up...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Mikey Garcia destroyed Dejan Zlaticanin. The way he hit the canvas I was concerned for him. Weeks knew right away it was over. He didn't even start a count. It was obvious from the opening bell Mikey was going to win. His jab was lethal.

That's the 2nd KO of the year that Robert Garcia was trainer for. The other one was when Nonito Donaire KO'd Montiel. Of course, it's early in the year, so who knows if somebody gets a better KO than that for this year.

Love that Mikey is finally back in the sport and the legal battle with Top Rank is in the rear view. Compared to his 1st fight back, he's definitely knocked off a 'bit of the ring rust that I saw in his last fight. I only saw highlights of Dejan, and the "talk" that he was being avoided by others in the division, but didn't expect him to give Mikey much competition (and like you said, jo...showed from the very start of the fight).

There are talks of a unification fight with Jorge Linares, which would be great to see. There are also talks of Lomachenko going up to fight Mikey at 135, which would be awesome to see as well. I'd bet that Mikey fights the other 2 title holders at lightweight (Robert Easter Jr. & Terry Flannigan), before a unification fight with Linares is made. That is, if either of those guys take that fight. All of that would build up more hype for a potential Lomachenko fight at 135.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

On the rest of the fights:

I had Leo beating Frampton 8 rounds to 4. Even 7 to 5 was understandable. No way I'd see Frampton being the winner and a case could be made for the 114-114 card of the single judge that saw it that way. It was definitely entertaining and I'd enjoy watching a rubber match, if they can make that happen.

Miura fight was brutal! Neither guy were as fast as other boxers at 130, but man did they throw some heavy shots. I thought Miura needed to get a KO to win (even though it was a really close fight).

Vargas vs. Belchert is a candidate, on my list, for fight of the year. Even though Belchert took over in the late rounds, it was still back and forth leading up to the championship rounds. Amazing skilled slugfest to watch.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Just watched that Francisco Vargas fight again. Muira then Salido and now this young hungry kid who has 27 KO's. That's just too much. Feel free to mix in a tune up or two. Danny Garcia did it the right way before fighting Thurman.

Vargas gotta take some time off. His cuts will probably never heal. Dude sneezes and he's busted open.

dough...130 reminds me of 126 in the early 2000's (Manny, Morales, Barrera, JMM). Would love to see all of the current 130 lb'ers get in the ring against one another, like the 4 horsemen mentioned. That'd be awesome and a good lift up for boxing. Lomachenko is just too good for any of them, so I could see him going up to fight somebody at 135, especially if a Mikey fight is really on the cards.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
So hype for the Mayweather McGregor fight is heating up...

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 427, 428, 429 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 428 of 514
Jump to: