Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 434, 435, 436 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
GGG-Canelo ... about time

After seeing GGG's last fight, and seeing Canelo today, I think the fight is a lot closer then it would've been a year ago. Although I don't think Canelo has the power to KO GGG seeing as how he couldn't even get Chavez out of there. But Canelo is a better boxer and GGG tends to fade a bit after the mid rounds. Will be a great fight, can't wait.

Didn't realize GGG is already 35. This fight needs to happen now. I agree GGG hasn't looked really sharp in his last few fights compared to a few years ago when he was like a surgeon in the ring.

This is one fight I'm willing to pay to see live.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject:

De La Hoya's shown business savvy. He waited until GGG aged and Canelo gained some experience.

He took a gamble, putting Alvarez in with Money May before he was ready. I think it was for money. Floyd made 41 Canelo 5 million. He couldn't let that amount of money get away. Canelo made 5 Chavez 3 for their fight.

Gotta give it to Oscar, he's learned the business.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Marinating fights often have very bad outcomes. Ask Juan Manuel Lopez and Gamboa about Marinating their fight by letting Lopez fight Salido. Gamboa was Marinating again with a possible fight against Lomachenko coming up and ended up quitting on the stool against Castellanos. As often as not bad things happen.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
De La Hoya's shown business savvy. He waited until GGG aged and Canelo gained some experience.

He took a gamble, putting Alvarez in with Money May before he was ready. I think it was for money. Floyd made 41 Canelo 5 million. He couldn't let that amount of money get away. Canelo made 5 Chavez 3 for their fight.

The business has really compromised the quality of fights.

Oscar sounds like the worst used car salesmen whenever I hear him pitching a fight he's made or summoning excuses for why another fight wasn't.

But he is making a good living without taking a punch so yeah, you have a point.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

are these numbers right? good lord.. Oscar is getting over big time on Canelo. That fight was big and Canelo only made 5 mill?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
jodeke wrote:

are these numbers right? good lord.. Oscar is getting over big time on Canelo. That fight was big and Canelo only made 5 mill?

How many PPV buys did they get? After the Mayweather-Pacman fight no fight has broken 1 million buys. Even GGG's best fight has only gotten 500k buys and he hasn't even fought in Vegas yet until the next fight.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Those numbers are correct. Canelo also got a percent of PPV. T-Mobile Arena was sold out if that's any indication of PPV buys. The PPV buys will net him more, the percent will determine how much more. Either way Oscar made a killing. As I said he's learned the business.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Total purse for all the fighters on that card - less than nine million

I guess you see why fighters flock to Uncle Al Haymon.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

GGG has NO rematch clause. Canelo has one. Very surprising considering GGG is bringing 4 belts to the table while Canelo is bringing nothing but his false bravado. Let's see if Canelo even invokes the rematch clause after he gets put to sleep in September.

Source: Link
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Haven't gotten a chance to stop in, but I knew that fight was going to be boring. Chavez Jr. was searching for that last big payday. I'm just glad that GGG vs. Canelo is a done deal (although, I couldn't help buy laugh about the WWE style entrance they scripted).

I still can't see Canelo winning that fight. I didn't have him winning the fight against Lara and don't really give him any credit for the Amir Khan fight (much like I don't give much credit to GGG beating Brook).

I'm just waiting to see which venue wins the bid to host the fight. If it's Staples Center, I'm gonna have to see if I can get a group buy, to watch it live. If they over-price the tickets, I'll just buy it at home.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Lots of boxing this weekend

http://fightnights.com/boxing-schedule

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

Lot of good fights today. Could've went to the Gary Russell fight (happening a 20 minute drive from me) or driven up to NYC for the Crawford fight but chose to stay home so I can watch as many fights as I can LOL.

My prefight analysis and prediction for the Gervonta Davis/Liam Walsh fight:

http://masterclassboxing.blogspot.com/2017/05/gervonta-davis-vs-liam-walsh-quick.html
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Watching MSNBC. Raymundo Beltran vs. Jonathan Maicelo is more than your every day fight. Beltran is fighting for his green card. If he wins he may get the EB-1 green card granted to people who show extraordinary ability in their field like, winning a pulitzer, a oscar or olympic gold medal. If he wins he gets to stay in the country along with his wife and three children, who were all born here. Don't know anything about either fighter but will be pulling for Beltran.

anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

breh
https://twitter.com/MartinJGallegos/status/866090349684342784
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
breh

Yeah, that was uncalled for. Police are looking for him.That was his uncle, cornerman Leon Lawson Jr.

Honestly, if it hadn't been a 3 punch combo I might have gone with maybe it was at the bell.

Andre was behind on 2 of the 3 referees cards.

Gary Russell Jr. ain't no joke. When he rocked Escandon earlier he didn't get wild. He methodically punished him Oscar showed the heart of a warrior, he kept punching. When he was rocked again he was trying to get up. I thought Foster did the right thing. It was a good stoppage. No need for blood and gore.

Happy for Beltran. His green card is just about on lock. Malcelo was severely damaged. He was out before he hit the canvas. His head bounced twice. He's still in ER.

Terence Crawford straight smoked Felix Diaz. His corner waved it off at the end of round 10.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
breh

I saw that on Snapchat anph. That was crazy!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
GGG has NO rematch clause. Canelo has one. Very surprising considering GGG is bringing 4 belts to the table while Canelo is bringing nothing but his false bravado. Let's see if Canelo even invokes the rematch clause after he gets put to sleep in September.

Canelo is still the man who beat the man (Cotto)who beat the man (Martinez) who beat the man (Pavlik) who beat the man (Taylor) who beat the man (Hopkins) who beat everyone.

Should be a good scrap unlike the fight against Chavez Junior.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Canelo is still the man who beat the man (Cotto)who beat the man (Martinez) who beat the man (Pavlik) who beat the man (Taylor) who beat the man (Hopkins) who beat everyone.

Correction: Canelo WAS the man (i.e., lineal champ). However, can you still be the man when you vacate your belt and flee the division to avoid your mandatory challenger who also happens to be the unified belt holder in the division? Is Adonis Stevenson still "the man" over Andre Ward or even Kovalev?

You will not find one article from a reputable source that has Canelo or Adonis ranked over GGG/Ward/Kovalev, so it's tough to argue Canelo is still "the man." If you want to bring up Ring magazine, you can throw that one out because Oscar owns that magazine.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Correction: Canelo WAS the man (i.e., lineal champ). However, can you still be the man when you vacate your belt and flee the division to avoid your mandatory challenger who also happens to be the unified belt holder in the division? Is Adonis Stevenson still "the man" over Andre Ward or even Kovalev?

You will not find one article from a reputable source that has Canelo or Adonis ranked over GGG/Ward/Kovalev, so it's tough to argue Canelo is still "the man." If you want to bring up Ring magazine, you can throw that one out because Oscar owns that magazine.

I think we know Canelo wanted to fight Golovkin but Oscar was able to get big checks and aging Golovkin at the same time. It's all about those checks and Canelo is that meal ticket. I'm damn sure gonna try to be at that fight.
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Since when do organizations dictate who you're going to fight? Let me know when these organizations start taking the risk of losing money on an event and start signing those checks. You can't tell someone to do something when you're not writing the checks.

Canelo is now the cash cow and dictates his own terms. Nobody is going to tell him what to do.
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:

Canelo brings nothing to the table? Please learn how the business of boxing works. Canelo is now the cash cow and is the biggest name in boxing. Check the numbers if you think I am lying. Having belts doesn't mean anything except paying those organizations to wear the belt. Fighters are prize fighters and they fight for the biggest payday they can get.

So bringing 4 belts to the table makes you an A-side fighter now? GGG needs Canelo more than Canelo needs GGG because Canelo will keep cashing a minimum of $10 million checks for every fight.

Just like GGG put Jacobs and Brook to sleep. After GGG gets his L tell him to run to Ward for a fight.
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Not really... Canelo will make over $10 million for his sparring session against Chavez Jr. Not bad for a 12 round sparring session.

GPB kept the numbers low for a reason.

Really proud of Spence for winning his big fight when he finally got his big chance to show people what he can do. Spence will clean out the division and be the man at 147.

Funny how Thurman didn't want to give Spence his opportunity, or even acknowledge him before his big win. He's going to learn when Spence takes his belt away from him later this year, or next year.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:

If Spence Jr hadn't worked Brooks eye he was going to get robbed. Brook was ahead 2 judges scorecards. I had it 96 93 Spence Jr when the fight ended. I was surprised they called it a KO. I guess when Brook took a knee the count started and reached 10.

Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject:

that's so ridiculous to me.

Spence was dominating. picking him apart. clearly executing his game plan.. body and eye.

good on Spence for finishing Brook.

That GGG fight was the biggest mistake of of his career. Reminds me of what Pacquiao did to Margarito.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject:

Nissan wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Canelo brings nothing to the table? Please learn how the business of boxing works. Canelo is now the cash cow and is the biggest name in boxing. Check the numbers if you think I am lying. Having belts doesn't mean anything except paying those organizations to wear the belt. Fighters are prize fighters and they fight for the biggest payday they can get.

So bringing 4 belts to the table makes you an A-side fighter now? GGG needs Canelo more than Canelo needs GGG because Canelo will keep cashing a minimum of $10 million checks for every fight.

Just like GGG put Jacobs and Brook to sleep. After GGG gets his L tell him to run to Ward for a fight.

If you wanna jerk yourself off to the amount of money another man makes, feel free. In terms of boxing legacy, 50 years from now, no one will remember Canelo (regardless of how much money he makes) other than as a footnote on the resumes of Mayweather and GGG.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 434, 435, 436 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 435 of 514
Jump to: