General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 436, 437, 438 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject:

I punch to the body can knockout a fighter but it didn't. No one said anything about it not doing damage. You call it a knockdown and start counting, Kovalev either gets up or he doesn't but its on Kovalev not the ref.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Nissan wrote:
In_your_Eye wrote:
Nissan wrote:
In_your_Eye wrote:
Why not call a knock down? It was a terrible call.

How is it a terrible call when Kovalev kept looking for a way out of the fight and stopped protecting himself? You don't call a KD when the ropes are not holding up a fighter and no standing 8 count allowed. Did you expect Weeks to stand there and watch a fighter who quit and stop defending himself to keep taking hard punches from his opponent?

The truth is Ward's body punches were too much for Kovalev and Kovalev was done after the 5th round. He kept making excuses during the fight and even turned his back on his opponent.

He sat on the ropes, even if those last 3 shot weren't low which is unlikely, how many times has a fight been immediately stopped due to a body punch? He took the right hand earlier and was wobbled but didn't take another hard shot upstairs which is the concern, to prevent severe brain damage not abdominal pain. I expect Tony Weeks to call a knock down, give him a standing 8 count and let two great fighters earn their keep.
A punch to the body especially the liver will knockout a fighter. What makes you think a body punch can't do damage when a fighter is not used to getting hit in the body? A body punch can hurt a lot more compare to getting hit in the head. Kovalev was hurt by the right hand and multiple body punches before he sat on the ropes. You don't need to keep hitting a fighter in the head to stop him when his body is weak and you know he can't take a body shot. The whole night he was crying wolf with the low blows when it was also his fault for having the belt so high.

https://imgur.com/h2vj9Z5

I already told you there is no standing 8 count in NV for title fights.

Kovalev was looking for a way out and Weeks gave it to him. You can tell by Kovalev's body language he was done and didn't want to continue fighting. You never turn you back on your opponent.

JDJ and Doc even said Weeks did the correct thing to stop the fight to prevent Kovalev from taking any more punishment.

The body shot in this post tells any who want to be honest, Kovalev didn't want any more. Andre should have knock the ish outa him when he doubled and turned his back. He thought Serge was complaining of a low blow. Weeks made him continue to fight. He was looking for a way out. Andre gave him one.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:

In_your_Eye wrote:
I punch to the body can knockout a fighter but it didn't. No one said anything about it not doing damage. You call it a knockdown and start counting, Kovalev either gets up or he doesn't but its on Kovalev not the ref.

Put the blame on the fighter for even making the ref be in the position to stop the fight. A ref has to step in when a fighter stops protecting himself and the opponent is still throwing punches.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Ward had Kovalev's number. Andre exposed him as a fighter who can't take body shots and fades after around five. From now on whoever he fights is going to attack his body and try to take him deep.

No excuses??? After the fight Serge made nothing but excuses. He complained about low blows that were borderline. He was gassed, looking for Weeks to give him a breather. He quit. I won't say "no mas," it was close.

He said he wanted another rematch. SMH If he got one he'd be so intent on protecting his body, Andre would knock him out again, this time with head shots. He stung him with a stiff right to the head in the 8th. That was the beginning of the end.

Who's next for Andre?

EDIT:
What does Harold Lederman have against Ward? IIRC he had Andre winning 2 rounds. I had it 68 66 Ward when it ended.

Good scrap. Hate the controversial ending but being hit in the sac is never a good thing. Hearing that Kovalev was on his way out still doesn't mean he was beaten. SOG is not a KO artist and Kovalev has never been stopped. I think just being hit near that region is enough to make your balls quiver.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Two judges had Ward winning slim
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Those body shots were not low imo. Ward thoroughly dominated Kovalev and would have finished him in the very next round regardless of whether Weeks stopped it. I was a big Kovalev fan, but Ward has made me a believer. He should be the unquestioned P4P#1 right now.

Edit: I want to see Beterbiev vs. Ward asap.

Why, because he's 11 0 11 ko's? You think he's earned a shot at Andre before, Adonis Stevenson 29-1, Nathan Cleverly 30-1-1, Juergen Braehmer 48-3, Oleksandr Gvozdyk 13-0. ESPN has these fighters ranked over Beterbiev.

Look who he's fought, a bunch of tomato cans. 1 fighter with a winning 6-4 record.

LINK

Guess you think Lomachenko sucks too because of his limited pro record, which includes a loss. Adonis is a one-dimensional bum, who Ward would likely not be able to pay to have the balls to face him. The only reason I want to see Beterbiev vs. Ward is because of the stylistic match-up: how does Ward handle a power puncher with an inside game? I imagine Ward would fight him different than Kovalev, but how exactly? That's what makes the fight interesting for me: seeing how Dre would dissect another legit threat.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Next Pacman fight free on basic cable...
http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/19665086/manny-pacquiao-jeff-horn-fight-air-live-espn-july-1

Guess there wasn't much of an audience willing to pay for it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Those body shots were not low imo. Ward thoroughly dominated Kovalev and would have finished him in the very next round regardless of whether Weeks stopped it. I was a big Kovalev fan, but Ward has made me a believer. He should be the unquestioned P4P#1 right now.

Why, because he's 11 0 11 ko's? You think he's earned a shot at Andre before, Adonis Stevenson 29-1, Nathan Cleverly 30-1-1, Juergen Braehmer 48-3, Oleksandr Gvozdyk 13-0. ESPN has these fighters ranked over Beterbiev.

Look who he's fought, a bunch of tomato cans. 1 fighter with a winning 6-4 record.

LINK

Guess you think Lomachenko sucks too because of his limited pro record, which includes a loss. Adonis is a one-dimensional bum, who Ward would likely not be able to pay to have the balls to face him. The only reason I want to see Beterbiev vs. Ward is because of the stylistic match-up: how does Ward handle a power puncher with an inside game? I imagine Ward would fight him different than Kovalev, but how exactly? That's what makes the fight interesting for me: seeing how Dre would dissect another legit threat.

LINK

I don't think he sucks. I don't think he's ready for Ward. Ward's to experienced for someone with not only few fights but also someone who hasn't fought anyone. Put him in with someone like Adonis Stevenson, see how he fares. I don't think he'd beat Stevenson.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject:

I ain't falling for it. Pacman beats Horn, MoneyMay beats McGregor. Next thing you know, hype another Mayweather vs Pacquiao. Killing thing, it'll probably sell.

Manny Pacquiao-Jeff Horn fight to air live on ESPN on July 1

LINK

In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

Tony weeks tweets stoppage was a mistake and those were low blows.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

Even the ref admits it was a bad stoppage. They should change it to a NC and do a third fight.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

One of the worst fights I've seen in quite some time. And then that stoppage...c'mon
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject:

I bought the fight to support both Dre and Kovalev. They deserved the support more than the Floyd vs. McGregor PPV.

That said...initially, I was okay with the stoppage. I was also happy for Dre and he did what he needed to do (try to end it while Kovalev was hurt, which he did when he went to the body with conviction). That said, the angles were really bad on the cameras, but there was one shot (only one I saw) that showed a clear picture of where the last shot landed and that ish landed right on the cup below the waistline.

As for Tony Weeks stopping it, I think it's debatable. Considering the gravity of the fight, especially being a fight determining the champion (but also top spot on P4P list), I would've preferred Tony send Dre to the neutral corner, and give Kovalev a 8 count (on the basis that the ropes were holding him up). Then, after an 8 count, if Kovalev doesn't show that he continue, you can easily call it at that point.

Regardless, I don't discredit Dre at all. I still think it was a very close fight, up to that point. I could see either guy winning the fight by around, by the time (prior to the stoppage), but at the end of the day, Dre came through to do what he needed to do and I wasn't convinced that Kovalev really knew how to adjust to Dre's adjustments.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

LINK

LINK

I don't think he sucks. I don't think he's ready for Ward. Ward's to experienced for someone with not only few fights but also someone who hasn't fought anyone. Put him in with someone like Adonis Stevenson, see how he fares. I don't think he'd beat Stevenson.

Who do you think Adonis is beating at this stage of his career? Beterbiev or Ward? I don't think he can beat either. If Adonis fights Ward, he will get schooled for 12 rounds while swinging for air with his left. Beterbiev would likely end Adonis's career in a fashion similar to Hopkins.

Ward will have to face Beterbiev eventually when he becomes the mandatory (unless he moves up) because that's type of fighter he has proven himself to be. Ward will continue to seek out the biggest challenges for himself to prove his greatness, and, if you don't think Beterbiev is a threat yet, you will soon.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Really looking forward to this one.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

LINK

LINK

Who do you think Adonis is beating at this stage of his career? Beterbiev or Ward? I don't think he can beat either. If Adonis fights Ward, he will get schooled for 12 rounds while swinging for air with his left. Beterbiev would likely end Adonis's career in a fashion similar to Hopkins.

Ward will have to face Beterbiev eventually when he becomes the mandatory (unless he moves up) because that's type of fighter he has proven himself to be. Ward will continue to seek out the biggest challenges for himself to prove his greatness, and, if you don't think Beterbiev is a threat yet, you will soon.

Stevenson has a tomato can record also LINK I think he'd beat Beterbiev. I don't think he'd beat Ward.

You're misunderstanding me. I like Beterviev. I don't think he's done anything to warrant a fight with Ward. A fight I don't think he'd win.

I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Adonis. I don't think at this stage in his career he'd win. I'd like to see him get in with better talent before facing Stevenson.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:

Is this a HBO/SHOWTIME event?

Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
Even the ref admits it was a bad stoppage. They should change it to a NC and do a third fight.

Weeks doesn't have a real Twitter account. Stop believing everything on the internet.

Quote:
“In all fairness to Kathy, she’s upset. It’s her fighter. I felt we had it right the first time. And I thought Tony did a great job this time. ... It’s rather interesting at the end that when Ward hits him in the stomach at the end, he sat on the ropes. And the punch looked good. Weeks was in good position to see where those blows landed and they’re right on the belt line. Are they close? Sure. But do they look good? Yeah. Did he have one or two low blows where Tony told him to keep them up? You could argue that he did. But at the same time you could argue that Kovalev put Ward in numerous headlocks and Tony had to reprimand both of them. I think the stoppage was good.”

They're not going to change the decision. Why have a 3rd fight when the outcome will be the same and Ward has nothing to prove? Boxing is a business and promoters are not going to keep signing checks when the fights are losing money. Do you believe Kovalev is fighting for no guaranteed money again?
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:

It should be an easy fight for Mikey because Broner will not be able to handle Mikey's power and skills.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:

Is this a HBO/SHOWTIME event?

Showtime
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject:

if I were the ref and a fighter stopped fighting.. was keeled over and not defending himself.. I'd stop the fight too.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I ain't falling for it. Pacman beats Horn, MoneyMay beats McGregor. Next thing you know, hype another Mayweather vs Pacquiao. Killing thing, it'll probably sell.

Manny Pacquiao-Jeff Horn fight to air live on ESPN on July 1

LINK

gotta milk these $100000000 fights til it dry (people will pay for these' names')
AutumnWind
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Canelo vs GGG tickets went on sale cheapest you're looking at is 700 and 800 dollars, man I really wanted to go but damn that's too much
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
if I were the ref and a fighter stopped fighting.. was keeled over and not defending himself.. I'd stop the fight too.

Weeks had a good angle. Kovalev tried to get Weeks to give him a breather throughout the fight by complaining of low blows. Weeks didn't bail him out. Serge flat quit, sat on the ropes, didn't protect himself, he quit. Weeks did the right thing. The next punch might have been to the head. Serge wasn't protecting himself, he could have been seriously injured.
LINK

WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

Weeks had a good angle. Kovalev tried to get Weeks to give him a breather throughout the fight by complaining of low blows. Weeks didn't bail him out. Serge flat quit, sat on the ropes, didn't protect himself, he quit. Weeks did the right thing. The next punch might have been to the head. Serge wasn't protecting himself, he could have been seriously injured.
LINK

If he was hurt he would have been better off taking a knee.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 436, 437, 438 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 437 of 514
Jump to: