General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 460, 461, 462 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:
lol boxing just keeps getting worse

Me and my buddy were talking about how we couldn't understand how Wilder wasn't much more popular in the US with his KO record. Then the judges stepped in and reminded us.

Whoever is supposed to promote him has done a terrible job. He is far more exciting to watch than Mayweather, but a lot of people that don’t follow boxing know who Mayweather is and have never heard of Wilder.

I believe Al Haymon is his promoter. Fighters today have to promote themselves, more or less. He and Fury did a good job promoting this fight.

This fight gave him exposure but much of it is negative because of the decision.

Wilder got $4 million, Fury $3 million before PPV. There were over 400,000 PPV buys according to some sources. I don't know what percent of that each gets. Wilder's net worth is around $16 million. He hasn't done bad monetarily.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject:

I was linking his lack of popularity to the general state of boxing moreso than his management.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Fury should have won that fight. I was rooting for Wilder, but the judges' cards were complete (bleep). Fury won 9-10 rounds, so the 2 KDs cannot make up the difference to give the nod to Wilder or even have a draw.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Fury should have won that fight. I was rooting for Wilder, but the judges' cards were complete (bleep). Fury won 9-10 rounds, so the 2 KDs cannot make up the difference to give the nod to Wilder or even have a draw.

Wilder won the 2 knock down rounds, so he would only need to win 3 of the other 10 rounds for the tie. You could see how it's possible a judge might see 3 close rounds in Wilders favor for the tie, but the judge who had Wilder winning 7 rounds was just ridiculous.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject:

The Mexican judge screwed it up. Gave Wilder all of the first 4 rounds, which is a joke.

It's why casual observers and even serious fans have such an issue with boxing. Anything that isn't a KO ends up being a robbery if the fight goes to the judges.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:

Me and my buddy were talking about how we couldn't understand how Wilder wasn't much more popular in the US with his KO record. Then the judges stepped in and reminded us.

Whoever is supposed to promote him has done a terrible job. He is far more exciting to watch than Mayweather, but a lot of people that don’t follow boxing know who Mayweather is and have never heard of Wilder.

I believe Al Haymon is his promoter. Fighters today have to promote themselves, more or less. He and Fury did a good job promoting this fight.

This fight gave him exposure but much of it is negative because of the decision.

Wilder got $4 million, Fury $3 million before PPV. There were over 400,000 PPV buys according to some sources. I don't know what percent of that each gets. Wilder's net worth is around $16 million. He hasn't done bad monetarily.

One thing that amazes me is Tyson made $140 million in 2 years after he got out of prison and that was over 20 years ago.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Wilder won the 2 knock down rounds, so he would only need to win 3 of the other 10 rounds for the tie. You could see how it's possible a judge might see 3 close rounds in Wilders favor for the tie, but the judge who had Wilder winning 7 rounds was just ridiculous.

No, I really can't see Wilder winning more than 3 rounds total in that fight. I'll watch it again soon.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:

One thing that amazes me is Tyson made $140 million in 2 years after he got out of prison and that was over 20 years ago.

I googled his net worth it's around $20 million, though he says he's skint. LINK
Quote:
According to Celebrity Net Worth, Fury was worth $20million (£14m) in June 2018.

That is despite Fury claiming in February that he was skint and is "on the dole".

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject:

I was more impressed with Fury than I ought to have been, so props to him considering I thought he wouldn't last the fight. He definitely had the skills on the long range.

But Wilder can't fight or he was too scared. Loading up on just that right of his.

Fury doesn't have that one punch KO in him like Wilder does. He should have pressured him a whole lot more.

That would have overwhelmed Fury and he could have caught him.

Another thought was that Wilder in this fight looked like he didn't know how to fight on the inside or forgot what a hook, uppercut, or feint was.

Any of those would have helped.

If that goes exactly the same in the rematch, Fury can out box him again.

If Wilder doesn't fight scared, then it's a quick match KO.

Bye.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
22 wrote:
Adonis Stevenson in a medically induced coma after his knockout last night. Praying for him and his fam

Canadian boxer Adonis Stevenson in medically induced coma after knockout

LINK

Knock Out

EDIT: I wonder how much the fight Stevenson had with Badou Jack have to do with Adonis's head trauma? He and Badou had one vicious encounter. If you saw that fight you understand my asking the question.

Thought the same thing, jo. I'm glad that he was upgraded to stable, but also glad he's no longer holding the lineal title hostage without fighting the top guys.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
The Mexican judge screwed it up. Gave Wilder all of the first 4 rounds, which is a joke.

It's why casual observers and even serious fans have such an issue with boxing. Anything that isn't a KO ends up being a robbery if the fight goes to the judges.

It's All About The Benjamin's.

Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder already look set for a rematch

LINK

Quote:
The rivals finally fight on Saturday evening at Los Angeles’ Staples Center and, unusually, both fighters have rematch clauses in the event of their first professional defeat.

While the most common circumstances are for the defending champion, in this case Wilder, to have such an option, it has also been extended to the 30-year-old Fury, who had not planned such a dangerous fight so soon into his comeback and who is still regarded by some as the division’s lineal champion.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject:

I actually wasn't mad with the decision. There were a few rounds that were close, where neither guy did much at all. I have to watch the replay though, cuz the middle rounds I wasn't truly paying attention as much.

There have been much worse decisions in recent times than this particular fight. Fury has gained a lot more respect from me, after seeing what he did against Wilder. Showed skills, and a ton of heart. Not to mention getting up from one of the most devastating knockdowns I've seen recently. If it were just the right hand that he went down from, maybe I would have predicted he'd get up, but that additional left hook on the way down...thought the fight was over.

Nonetheless, we all know this has set up big payday fights for everybody. I predict that we don't see an immediate rematch. I think they make Fury vs. Joshua for a big money UK fight. Wilder and Ortiz rematch for big money. Winner faces winner, loser faces loser. That's the ideal scenario. If there weren't big money implications behind that, I'd say there's no chance Joshua fights any of them, but seems realistic for the big money.

Even though many were upset at the decision, there is a silver lining and more positive outlook on this. The Heavyweight division if finally relevant again!!!! It's been way too long since that division was worth watching.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

No, I really can't see Wilder winning more than 3 rounds total in that fight. I'll watch it again soon.

That's my point exactly. If a judge saw two rounds differently than you, okay, I don't agree but okay, he saw two rounds differently, but giving Wilder 7 rounds is just ridiculous.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
My crew had Fury winning, so did I. When Wilder got the 12th round knock down I didn't think Fury was going to get up. When he did I said it was going to be a draw. It's all about the Benjamin's. Fury clearly won. Lennox Lewis and Andre Ward also thought Fury won.

SCORE CARDS

Tyson Fury post fight interview

Deontay Wilder post fight interview

Thanks for posting the Scorecards, Jo. This will be helpful when watching the replay.

One thing is for sure, the judge that scored the fight for Fury doesn't even know how to transfer down his own math! He wrote 114-110, but his actual card was 114-112, based on the scoring he had round-by-round.

I caught a youtube video that supposedly had the full fight, but it was clipped, so couldn't get an idea of the entirety of each round. From that clipped version, I had 8-4 Fury (my original, thought it was 6-6 at the end, but half paying attention on some of the rounds). Interesting enough, I gave Wilder rounds 1, 5, 9 (kd round), 12 (kd round), which is different than the card that was given to Fury. That card had Fury winning the 7th, so if I were to flip that round to Wilder, that means draw.

Some of those rounds were very, very difficult to judge. Fury was slipping a lot of punches, while Wilder was also catching a lot of punches on the gloves, which means neither guy was really landing scoring blows.

Either way, I still contend that it was much more entertaining than I thought it was going to be and am very happy the heavyweight division is back to relevancy.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Anyone use DAZN? Cost $9.99 per month.

Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Yeah, I'd say if you're anything more than a casual fan $9.99/month for all the fights you get is well worth it. The stream is good and there's interviews, supplemental coverage etc. they give you for the fights as well. One issue though is the World Boxing Super Series (which airs on DAZN) is apparently in jeopardy as some of the boxers aren't getting paid. (I don't know the details of this.)
Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject:

My prefight analysis and betting prediction for Lomachenko vs. Pedraza (I'll be heading up in the morning from the Washington D.C. area to attend the fight): https://masterclassboxing.blogspot.com/2018/12/lomachenko-vs-pedraza-quick-prefight.html
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject:

Osei wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Yeah, I'd say if you're anything more than a casual fan $9.99/month for all the fights you get is well worth it. The stream is good and there's interviews, supplemental coverage etc. they give you for the fights as well. One issue though is the World Boxing Super Series (which airs on DAZN) is apparently in jeopardy as some of the boxers aren't getting paid. (I don't know the details of this.)

It really pisses me off how some entities treat fighters. People get mad at Mayweather but he didn't let the sport use him, he used the sport. I've said before and I'll say it again, "DON'T HATE DA PLAYA, HATE DA GAME"

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject:

I wasn't a Lomo fan. He's starting to grow on me. Orlando Salido is his only blemish. I thought he was being pushed. He's only had 12 fights. I watched his last fight against Jorge Linares and saw he has skills. 4 opponants before Jorge didn't want any more, they quit. Will the go the distance or will it be another RTD? 6:00pm tonight will give the answer.

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Loma still Loma, too good

12-1

Last 6 fights, opponent winning record: 0.941, what's the opposite of dodging?

Last edited by governator on Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject:

It took him awhile to unload. When he did in the 11th I thought it would be another no mas. Have to give Pedraza props. He was there the whole fight, acquitted himself well. Loma is a boxer puncher. He's gaining my respect more after every outing.

Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Mikey Garcia beats Loma.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject:

It's coming up on the anniversary on December 11 of Bobby Chacon - Bazooka Limon 4 fight of the year in 1982. Was also Ring mAgazines fight of the decade. Bobby was always one of my favorite fighters from back in the old Olympic Auditorium days. 2 small guys 2 giant hearts.

Enjoy.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
Mikey Garcia beats Loma.

Would love to see this fight, these 2 'dismantle' their opponents
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/boxing/la-sp-pat-manuel-fight-20181207-story.html
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 460, 461, 462 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 461 of 514
Jump to: