General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 472, 473, 474 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Great fight! Instant classic imo. This bout was not a blowout, but the SD seemed suspect. I thought it was a clear win for Pac, but Thurman did come on in the middle rounds. Pac took the last 3 or at least 2/3 of rounds 10-12 imo to seal the victory.

I thought it was one of those fights where it was close on the scorecards, but the winner was much more clear than the scorecards suggested. I am not sure what Thurman's strategy was.....every time you get the advantage, back off? Manny did take some shots, and took them better than I expected.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject:

@adkindo...BadGuy..... Do you think there will be a Pacquiao, Mayweather rematch? If there us, who do you pick and will you buy it? Mayweather 42, Pacquiao 40. If there's a rematch both will b at least 2 years older.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
@adkindo...BadGuy..... Do you think there will be a Pacquiao, Mayweather rematch? If there us, who do you pick and will you buy it? Mayweather 42, Pacquiao 40. If there's a rematch both will b at least 2 years older.

I don't think there will be a rematch; I think Pacquiao will fight Spence next (and lose). If there is a rematch, I pick Pacquiao due to age/activity, and I will buy it because I'm a sucker for boxing.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I don't think there will be a rematch; I think Pacquiao will fight Spence next (and lose). If there is a rematch, I pick Pacquiao due to age/activity, and I will buy it because I'm a sucker for boxing.

What about Bud & Spence? Are there any talks about that match up?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I do not think there will be a rematch....hopefully people have realized at this point Mayweather is not an entertaining match. Mayweather would beat Pacquiao again....it would be boring again....and Mayweather's face would be untouched again. People can trash different elements of Mayweather based on who he has fought, etc., but the dude is still the most technically skilled fighter in the ring that I have ever seen. Only way he loses is if he makes an extremely unlikely mistake, or someone can significantly over power him...and I am not sure it can be done at his weight class.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject:

If Floyd can bank another 300 million to fight Manny, I think he comes back. The better Manny looks, the higher the PPV numbers will do.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I don't think PBC has any incentive to make that fight happen soon with Manny winning. They'll do Spence vs. Porter (Sept) then winner faces Manny or Thurman. Crawford will be left out of the big fights since they're already pretending he doesn't exist (did not list him among welterweight champs in the PPV commentary).
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject:

A lot of people that were there, seemed to think it should've been UD, but I had 6-6 with the difference being the knockdown. With the close rounds, it really came down to what the judges saw more of the "effective" punches.

Manny doesn't have the same type of second gear that he once had, but still showed me how he and Floyd really were on a level above everyone. If he still had that, I don't think it would've been close in the 2nd half. And he would've jumped on Thurman after the body shot in the 10th and Thurman took his mouthpiece out.

I love Manny, and appreciated the entertaining fights he's given us over his career, but can't see him beating Spence or Crawford. I'm just impressed that he did what he did against Thurman, at 40. I want to be able to just appreciate that I got to watch him and Floyd, in their primes, much like many other legends of the sport that I got to see in the 80's (before I really understood the sport) and 90's.

I really hope he doesn't pull a Roy Jones or Evander and just keep fighting, just because. I'll appreciate him, for however many he decides he has left, but don't mind him letting the young bucks make their own legacy (especially Crawford and Spence).

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject:

I had it 7 5 Pacman

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Looked like Manny still got it, or some of it... if he pick his opponents smartly (not that I wanna see manny doing pillow fights), he has couple more years left. Money May vs PacMan... sigh, y’all know this gonna suck and everyone would still watch it, me included
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Looked like Manny still got it, or some of it... if he pick his opponents smartly (not that I wanna see manny doing pillow fights), he has couple more years left. Money May vs PacMan... sigh, y’all know this gonna suck and everyone would still watch it, me included

DAMN gov I probably will too. 🤬 IIRC their last PPV was $89.99, This will probably be a $100.

I didn't buy the last Pac vs May. I went to a friends cousins house. Paid $10.00. Got food and drinks. My friend moved to Florida. I'm almost sure his cousin will do it again. He had a overflow in his garage and den. I don't know how much but he had to make a small grip judging from the crowd.

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:

DAMN gov I probably will too. 🤬 IIRC their last PPV was $89.99, This will probably be a $100.

I didn't buy the last Pac vs May. I went to a friends cousins house. Paid $10.00. Got food and drinks. My friend moved to Florida. I'm almost sure his cousin will do it again. He had a overflow in his garage and den. I don't know how much but he had to make a small grip judging from the crowd.

Yea man, we always make it a get together at one of the flip’s house for manny’s fights (Filipino friends). It’s prob be horrible against Mayweather again but you know the whole world gonna root for PacMan to win
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:

Yea man, we always make it a get together at one of the flip’s house for manny’s fights (Filipino friends). It’s prob be horrible against Mayweather again but you know the whole world gonna root for PacMan to win

If it happens Pac will have a 2 year age advantage and activity. I still think May will win. He's a technician.

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:

If it happens Pac will have a 2 year age advantage and activity. I still think May will win. He's a technician.

Mayweather would no doubt protect his unbeaten record with whatever he need to do including running around the ring the whole fight but he bout to get paid. This, if happen, would bring the kinda money Wilder-AJ was supposed to pull. Legend vs unbeaten legend part deux
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:

that is the way to do it....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
A lot of people that were there, seemed to think it should've been UD, but I had 6-6 with the difference being the knockdown. With the close rounds, it really came down to what the judges saw more of the "effective" punches.

I actually had Manny losing on the scorecard, but in hindsight I do think I overvalued some of Thurman's punches....replay showed solid contact, but Manny mostly walked through them. In contrast, Thurman was visibly hurt a couple times. I do think if Thurman fights with a better strategy, he easily wins that fight. Almost every round, he simply allowed Manny to easily escape a bad situation or position.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject:

I'm not a great judge. I scored some rounds even. Even rounds could go either way, I found my score card.....

Here's my card

1) 10,8 P
2) 10,9 P
3) 10,9 P
4) 10,9 P
5) 10,9 P
6) 10,9 P
7) 9,10 T
8) 9,10 T
9) 10,10 E
10) 10,9 P
11)10,10 E
12) 9,10 T
-------------
117...112 P

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject:

One fighter was put on his ass in the first round and hurt multiple times (including a bloodied nose). The other fighter was never hurt, and he controlled most of the fight. I did not see a close fight at all here. Thurman took some of the middle rounds, but he lost most of the first half of the fight and the championship rounds imo.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/russian-boxer-maxim-dadashev-dies-fight-171630682--box.html

This was shown on ESPN the day before the big Pacquaio fight. I remember him walking off aided with his trainers disoriented.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Spence and Shawn Porter are up next in September.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Spence should beat Shawn. Porter is a straight ahead brawler he takes to many punches. He won't last long with Errol. Spence has power from both sides.

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:53 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Spence should beat Shawn. Porter is a straight ahead brawler he takes to many punches. He won't last long with Errol. Spence has power from both sides.

Shawn's never been stopped. He punches his way in and works inside relentlessly. He seemed a little shopworn his last fight. But let's face it Spence couldn't put down a blown up lightweight in Mikey Garcia his last time out. If I had to bet on it I would put my money on Spence, but Porter is no joke and has a decent chance in this fight.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Shawn's never been stopped. He punches his way in and works inside relentlessly. He seemed a little shopworn his last fight. But let's face it Spence couldn't put down a blown up lightweight in Mikey Garcia his last time out. If I had to bet on it I would put my money on Spence, but Porter is no joke and has a decent chance in this fight.

I'm picking Spence by stoppage, as well. Mikey was trying to survive in that fight after being hurt early multiple times. Porter has been floored by Broner, and his fight IQ is way too low to challenge Spence. Porter has no advantages in this fight whatsoever (and he fights recklessly), so Spence will stop him.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

You may not be taking into account Mikey is a skilled boxer. When he was hurt he used his boxing skills to survive. I watched that fight at a friends house. We bet $10.00 on a chance round. 1 thru 12 were dropped into a hat. When I lucked up on 12 I smiled. I didn't think Mikey or Errol would go down.

I don't think Shawn has those skills. I think he'll do what he always does, try to fight his way in to work inside. Spence will pick him apart, cause him to try to box. That will be his undoing and I think Errol will take him out around round 8.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Manny Pacquiao @MannyPacquiao

Excuse me Floyd, your name has not been on any of my PBC contracts. But if you would like to be on the next one, I will have one drawn up and sent to you. #CounterfeitMoney

8:59 AM · Jul 24, 2019

Quote:
Manny Pacquiao @MannyPacquiao

@FloydMayweather You come to my fight and then use my name in a post but I’m the one that is trying to stay relevant? 🤔 if you want to be relevant again... #MayPac2

11:04 PM · Jul 23, 2019
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 472, 473, 474 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 473 of 514
Jump to: