General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 305, 306, 307 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Nissan wrote:
Drifts wrote:
if Lara's name was Floyd Mayweather, he'd probably eked out the win.

What? This is professional boxing and not Olympic boxing. You don't win a prize fight by fighting like Lara did against Canelo. When have you ever seen Floyd fight like Lara? Floyd knows he still has to be aggressive because judges will not give you the decision when you fight like Lara did.

How can you say a fighter who literally ran for most of the night and fought off his back foot would get the decision if he was Floyd?

Remember what happened with DLH vs. Tito? Similar situation with Lara vs. Canelo. The judges and the fans will not give you the decision if you run for most of the fight.

if it was Floyd, people would call it ring generalship.

Floyds ring generalship

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject:

It's hard for me to take Drifts serious these days.

Yes - we all have our biases.. but dang dude, you kind of go overboard with it. I'm not sure if you are trolling us or you are serious, for our sake i hope its not the latter.

Back to the topic -

Lara was a absolute waste. This is PPV, where people pay to see a fight on tv, not some random undercard you managed to get into where winning is all that matters. Jeez, this guy has the audacity to say everyone saw em win too lol.

What are the chances canelo ends up fighting cotto? I reckon that'd be a great fight. I agree with doughboy, if he fights kirkland, i think he will take em to school.

As far as manny goes - i think its been well documented that he isnt a draw anymore. Half of his appeal was cut in half when marquez put em to sleep.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:

As far as manny goes - i think its been well documented that he isnt a draw anymore. Half of his appeal was cut in half when marquez put em to sleep.

when you get put to sleep on 1 punch like that, you lose hype/steam bandwagon fans. I could see if he got hit by a flurry of punches and was giving it his all, but it was just a 1 hitter quitter.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Pacquiao-Chris Algieri on Nov. 22

Quote:
Manny Pacquiao versus Chris Algieri is a done deal.

Algieri and his co-promoters, Joe DeGuardia of Star Boxing and Banner Promotions' Artie Pelullo, met for several hours on Tuesday and hammered out their remaining issues, resulting in an agreement that will see Algieri, a junior welterweight titleholder, get the opportunity to challenge Pacquiao for his welterweight world title.

Algieri and his co-promoters, Joe DeGuardia of Star Boxing and Banner Promotions' Artie Pelullo, met for several hours on Tuesday and hammered out their remaining issues, resulting in an agreement that will see Algieri, a junior welterweight titleholder, get the opportunity to challenge Pacquiao for his welterweight world title.

The fight will take place Nov. 22 (HBO PPV) at the Cotai Arena at the Venetian Macao in Macau, China, where Pacquiao also fought in November 2013 and easily outpointed Brandon Rios, the promoters told ESPN.com.

"I have to talk to my lawyer, Dan Pancheri, who will spit out the contracts first thing (Wednesday) morning so they can have a copy of it in the afternoon," Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said Tuesday night. "We have a deal. On my end, it wasn't a hard deal at all. I came up pretty much with what they were looking for and then Joe and Artie had to sit down with Algieri and cut it up fairly amongst themselves."

That is what Algieri, DeGuardia and Pelullo did for most of the day.

"We had a marathon lunch. We started out meeting in the morning, then went and had a long lunch together, came back to the office and finished it up," DeGuardia said. "I called Bob to tell me we have a deal on our end. All the terms have been reached with Top Rank and we're going to paper it up.

"We were able to sit down and go through everything Chris wanted to go over and put everything together. He's gonna beat Pacquiao."

Terms were not disclosed but DeGuardia said Algieri (20-0, 8 KOs) will earn a career-high payday of more than $1 million. It will be more than 10 times his previous biggest purse, which was $100,000 for his upset split decision win against Ruslan Provodnikov to win a junior welterweight world title on June 14 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

Eleven months ago the 30-year-old Algieri was unknown and not even fighting regularly on televised cards. Now he is fighting one of the most famous fighters on the planet for a world title and a seven-figure payday.

"He's very happy. He's happy for the opportunity," DeGuardia said. "I'm ecstatic we've been able to give him this. It's a great feeling. You work hard you develop him up the ranks. He fought off TV for a long time, he got on TV and now this. It's really rewarding to see him get this opportunity and a payday that will change his life.

"He's wants the fight and has no problem going up in weight. He wants the welterweight championship. He wants challenges. He loves the idea. He wanted to fight for another championship and he loves that he is fighting Manny Pacquiao for it. He looks as Manny as an elite of the game. He wants to climb another mountain. If he wins this fight, you have the start of another era."

Algieri, from the Long Island, New York, town of Huntington, got knocked down twice by Provodnikov in the first round and persevered through a grotesquely swollen right eye for most of the fight. He also has a background different from most boxers.

A former kickboxer, Algieri grew up in a middle class family, went to college and eventually earned a master's degree. He says he wants to go to medical school when he is done with his boxing career. He also works as a nutritionist.

"I think it's an interesting fight between him and Manny," Arum said. "I'm excited. This is a college-educated kid, a good boxer, the kind of kid who will draw interest other than the just the hard core boxing fan," Arum said. "And the kid can also fight."

Pacquiao (56-5-2, 38 KOs), the 35-year-old Filipino icon, has won world titles in a record eight weight classes. On April 12 in Las Vegas, Pacquiao convincingly outpointed Timothy Bradley Jr. to regain the welterweight title he had lost to Bradley in June 2012 in a fight in which Bradley received a split decision in one of the most controversial calls in boxing history.

Pacquiao and Arum have had terms in place for his next fight since Pacquiao signed a two-year extension with Top Rank in May that will take him through 2016 with the company that has promoted him since 2005. Although terms for the fight with Algieri were not disclosed, Pacquiao has been making in the $20-million-plus range for recent fights.

Although the business side of Pacquiao's next fight has been set, he didn't know who he would be fighting. Arum said Pacquiao called him on Monday morning to check in on his health -- Arum is recovering from a recent knee replacement surgery -- and they also talked about Algieri since Arum was getting close to a deal.

"Manny is 100 percent for it," Arum said. "I told him I was coming along with it. He said Algieri seems like a nice young man and he saw his fight with Provodnikov. Manny said he thought it would be a good fight and he was OK with fighting Algieri."

Pacquiao could be motivated for the fight by wanting to seek revenge for his beloved trainer, Hall of Famer Freddie Roach, who is also Provodnikov's trainer and was on the losing end of that in that June upset.

I can't wait for someone to ask Arum about this (bleep) card and how he spins this as a worthy PPV fight.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject:

im definitely not paying for this fight..

and it says a lot as im usually a ppv sucker.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
im definitely not paying for this fight..

and it says a lot as im usually a ppv sucker.

Basically. Can't wait to see how Arum spins this. The 24/7 numbers are even down.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Some fight fans say a Pacquiao, Mayweather fight has lost it's luster. I think it's still a fight many would buy. Manny would get in gym and train like he hasn't for some time. If Floyd dosen't bring his AAA game he'd lose his 0. I have a feeling it's going to happen.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Pacquiao-Chris Algieri on Nov. 22

Quote:

The fight will take place Nov. 22 (HBO PPV) at the Cotai Arena at the Venetian Macao in Macau, China, where Pacquiao also fought in November 2013 and easily outpointed Brandon Rios, the promoters told ESPN.com.

"I have to talk to my lawyer, Dan Pancheri, who will spit out the contracts first thing (Wednesday) morning so they can have a copy of it in the afternoon," Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said Tuesday night. "We have a deal. On my end, it wasn't a hard deal at all. I came up pretty much with what they were looking for and then Joe and Artie had to sit down with Algieri and cut it up fairly amongst themselves."

That is what Algieri, DeGuardia and Pelullo did for most of the day.

"We had a marathon lunch. We started out meeting in the morning, then went and had a long lunch together, came back to the office and finished it up," DeGuardia said. "I called Bob to tell me we have a deal on our end. All the terms have been reached with Top Rank and we're going to paper it up.

"We were able to sit down and go through everything Chris wanted to go over and put everything together. He's gonna beat Pacquiao."

Terms were not disclosed but DeGuardia said Algieri (20-0, 8 KOs) will earn a career-high payday of more than $1 million. It will be more than 10 times his previous biggest purse, which was $100,000 for his upset split decision win against Ruslan Provodnikov to win a junior welterweight world title on June 14 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

Eleven months ago the 30-year-old Algieri was unknown and not even fighting regularly on televised cards. Now he is fighting one of the most famous fighters on the planet for a world title and a seven-figure payday.

"He's very happy. He's happy for the opportunity," DeGuardia said. "I'm ecstatic we've been able to give him this. It's a great feeling. You work hard you develop him up the ranks. He fought off TV for a long time, he got on TV and now this. It's really rewarding to see him get this opportunity and a payday that will change his life.

"He's wants the fight and has no problem going up in weight. He wants the welterweight championship. He wants challenges. He loves the idea. He wanted to fight for another championship and he loves that he is fighting Manny Pacquiao for it. He looks as Manny as an elite of the game. He wants to climb another mountain. If he wins this fight, you have the start of another era."

Algieri, from the Long Island, New York, town of Huntington, got knocked down twice by Provodnikov in the first round and persevered through a grotesquely swollen right eye for most of the fight. He also has a background different from most boxers.

A former kickboxer, Algieri grew up in a middle class family, went to college and eventually earned a master's degree. He says he wants to go to medical school when he is done with his boxing career. He also works as a nutritionist.

"I think it's an interesting fight between him and Manny," Arum said. "I'm excited. This is a college-educated kid, a good boxer, the kind of kid who will draw interest other than the just the hard core boxing fan," Arum said. "And the kid can also fight."

Pacquiao (56-5-2, 38 KOs), the 35-year-old Filipino icon, has won world titles in a record eight weight classes. On April 12 in Las Vegas, Pacquiao convincingly outpointed Timothy Bradley Jr. to regain the welterweight title he had lost to Bradley in June 2012 in a fight in which Bradley received a split decision in one of the most controversial calls in boxing history.

Pacquiao and Arum have had terms in place for his next fight since Pacquiao signed a two-year extension with Top Rank in May that will take him through 2016 with the company that has promoted him since 2005. Although terms for the fight with Algieri were not disclosed, Pacquiao has been making in the $20-million-plus range for recent fights.

Although the business side of Pacquiao's next fight has been set, he didn't know who he would be fighting. Arum said Pacquiao called him on Monday morning to check in on his health -- Arum is recovering from a recent knee replacement surgery -- and they also talked about Algieri since Arum was getting close to a deal.

"Manny is 100 percent for it," Arum said. "I told him I was coming along with it. He said Algieri seems like a nice young man and he saw his fight with Provodnikov. Manny said he thought it would be a good fight and he was OK with fighting Algieri."

Pacquiao could be motivated for the fight by wanting to seek revenge for his beloved trainer, Hall of Famer Freddie Roach, who is also Provodnikov's trainer and was on the losing end of that in that June upset.

I can't wait for someone to ask Arum about this (bleep) card and how he spins this as a worthy PPV fight.

F' Uncle Bob with this ish. As a Filipino American, I can't even support this ish.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject:

There's still boxing this weekend though:

http://fightnights.com/boxing-schedule

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Rigo better make this fight worth watching
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Rigo better make this fight worth watching

Was thinking the same thing, dough. I hope he understands that there has to be an element of entertainment, otherwise people won't buy into him and his $ value won't go up, no matter how long he stays undefeated.

Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Some fight fans say a Pacquiao, Mayweather fight has lost it's luster. I think it's still a fight many would buy. Manny would get in gym and train like he hasn't for some time. If Floyd dosen't bring his AAA game he'd lose his 0. I have a feeling it's going to happen.

I'd have a hard time seeing that... Pacquiao is a full time politician now... I don't think he can flip it like a switch... I think it'd be an interesting fight though.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Nissan wrote:
Drifts wrote:

What? This is professional boxing and not Olympic boxing. You don't win a prize fight by fighting like Lara did against Canelo. When have you ever seen Floyd fight like Lara? Floyd knows he still has to be aggressive because judges will not give you the decision when you fight like Lara did.

How can you say a fighter who literally ran for most of the night and fought off his back foot would get the decision if he was Floyd?

Remember what happened with DLH vs. Tito? Similar situation with Lara vs. Canelo. The judges and the fans will not give you the decision if you run for most of the fight.

Floyds ring generalship

Floyd landed 2 punches? 1 of which a soft tap... others landed on the gloves... if that's generalship, yeah, that's what I was talking about.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Nissan wrote:
Drifts wrote:

Floyds ring generalship

Floyd landed 2 punches? 1 of which a soft tap... others landed on the gloves... if that's generalship, yeah, that's what I was talking about.

You're funny Drifts. Poor Canelo looked like a scared kid. He was ducking and not fighting back. Floyd made him look like a 4 round beginner. It's OK you don't like Floyd but don't try to not acknowledge his greatness. Canelo didn't win a round. Haters gonna hate

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Drifts wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Nissan wrote:
Drifts wrote:

Floyds ring generalship

You're funny Drifts. Poor Canelo looked like a scared kid. He was ducking and not fighting back. Floyd make him look like a 4 round beginner. It's OK you don't like Floyd but don't try to not acknowledge his greatness. Canelo didn't win a round. Haters gonna hate

haters are def. gonna hate.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Floyd beat Canelo (though Canelo was not scared in anyway shape or form) but he beat Lara.

Its how it goes, you move on.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
Floyd beat Canelo (though Canelo was not scared in anyway shape or form) but he beat Lara.

Its how it goes, you move on.

I was referring to the gif. He looked like a scared 4 rounder in it. I haven't seen the Lara fight yet. I think it's on this weekend. I'll opinion after watching it.

Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Start booking your vacations for next May.

Floyd vs. Manny in Vegas.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject:

This is my round by round Canelo vs Lara

---C---L

1) 09 10
2) 09 10
3) 10 09
4) 10 09
5) 10 09
6) 09 10
7) 09 10
8) 10 09
9) 10 09
10) 10 10
11) 10 10
12) 09 10

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject:

I think Lara may have did enough. Unsurprisingly, he fought like Rigo against Donaire. It could have gone either way. Could have been a draw. No way 117-111 is a no no.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Rigo went Floyd vs Ortiz. Number one rule in boxing: protect yourself at all times. Another fighter not happy with Top Rank whose contract is up.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Why are super-fights so hard to put together? Floyd/Manny...Couldn't put together GSP/Silva either. And there was so much time to do it, just were never able to happen, in both cases.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Excuses. Money. Promotional. Kinda like Ric Fllair (NWA) vs Hulk Hogan (WWF). Damn shame. But if Top Rank doesn't sign Rigo, we could finally see him against Santa Cruz.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
I think Lara may have did enough. Unsurprisingly, he fought like Rigo against Donaire. It could have gone either way. Could have been a draw. No way 117-111 is a no no.

117-111 was bad and Lara proved he's the better boxer, but Canelo was right, you don't win by running. Canelo has many flaws in his game, he better hire a new trainer.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:

actually, the 117-111 sort of makes sense if you give the swing rounds to one fighter alone... it was that close though. I think Lara, given some sort of clout, could have pulled it off... of course, no way he wins a close verdict versus the next great Mexican boxer.

Last edited by Drifts on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 305, 306, 307 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 306 of 514
Jump to: