General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 311, 312, 313 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Interesting take, dough. I had a draw. Kell Brook didn't impress me much.

I had Dirrell winning by 2.

Boring card. Too much hugging and holding.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
Interesting take, dough. I had a draw. Kell Brook didn't impress me much.

I had Dirrell winning by 2.

Boring card. Too much hugging and holding.

I thought he did enough to win. It's like you want to give the victory to someone but they're doing their best not to go get the belt. Brook won the title mainly because he didn't let Porter establish himself. With the way he and Khan grabs, a punch may not be throw in the entire UK fight.

Just though Brook landed the more cleaner shots. Plus Porter looked lost.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject:

StubHub purses: Bika $700K, Dirrell $500K, Porter $500K, Brook $200K, Wilder $50K

Quote:
WBC super middleweight champion Sakio Bika (32-5-3, 21 KOs) will be getting the biggest purse in tonight’s Showtime fight card from the StubHub Center in Carson, California.

Bika is getting $700,000 to defend his title against unbeaten #6 WBC Anthony Dirrell (26-0-1, 22 KOs), according to Dan Rafael of ESPN. Bika’s adviser is Al Haymon, which would explain why he’s getting paid so well. Dirrell is getting paid well too. His purse for tonight is $500,000.

IBF welterweight champion Shawn Porter (24-0-1, 15 KOs) is getting $500,000 for his defense against Britain’s Kell Brook (32-0, 22 KOs) in the main event of the card. Brook is getting considerably less at $200,000.

It’s interesting that Brook is getting far less than Dirrell’s $500,000, but then again Dirrell is better known than Brook in the United States and he has an exciting fighting style that appeals to the U.S audience. Brook would likely be getting a bigger purse if he’d been fighting in the U.S on a regular basis against high caliber opposition during his career, But he’s spend almost his entire career fighting in the UK against less than dangerous opposition, and that’s kept him from being able to build a fan base in the U.S. I doubt that many casual boxing fans have ever even heard of Brook before in the U.S.

Heavyweight knockout artist Deontay Wilder (31-0, 31 KOs) is getting $50,000 for his fight against journeyman Jason Gavern in their scheduled 10 round fight on Showtime Extreme. Wilder would obviously be getting more money than that if he had been added to the fight card when it was first put together. But Deontay was added to the card 2 weeks ago, so there wasn’t room for him to be included in the televised portion.

Deontay’s purse later this year in his title challenge of WBC heavyweight champion Bermane Stiverne is going to look quite a bit different than the skimpy $50K he’s getting tonight. For that fight, you can expect Deontay to get $500K or more. If he captures the WBC crown, then his paydays are going to go up dramatically from there, especially if he’s able to hold onto the title for a long time like IBF/IBO/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko.

WBC lightweight champion Omar Figueroa is getting $270,000 for his defense against #1 WBC Daniel Estrada. For his part, Estrada is getting $130,000.

Here are the full fight card purses via Dan Rafael’s twitter: “Carson card purses: Porter $500k, Brook 200k, Bika 700k, Dirrell 500, Figueroa 270, Estrada 130, Wilder 50, Gavern 32,500, Linares 5K, Terry 6,500.”

It doesn’t make much sense that lightweight contender Jorge Linares is making just $5,000 while his little known opponent Ira Terry is making more than him at $6,500.

Wilder with a 50k sparring session. Lol @ Bika getting 700k
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject:

who wins, Andre ward vs Triple G?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

GGG Early KO

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject:

nm
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Dunno. Ward has been inactive and probably has much ring rust on him. But if this was during the Super Six, Ward would probably decision GGG. Right now, I'd probably say Golovkin by decision. Ward is one of the best defensive fighters out there.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Ward out points him.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
Ward out points him.

I can see it going either way. Really tough to call. Know there wouldn't be a KO because GGG has a great chin and SOG don't get hit.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
Ward out points him.

I can see it going either way. Really tough to call. Know there wouldn't be a KO because GGG has a great chin and SOG don't get hit.

I don't know dough, only three of thirty have gone the distance.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
Ward out points him.

The level of competition between Ward and Geale/Macklin/Stevens is a huge disparity. Ward would also be a bigger fighter. I just don't think GGG would knock out Ward but I think they'd both win by decision.
XTN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
Ward out points him.

The level of competition between Ward and Geale/Macklin/Stevens is a huge disparity. Ward would also be a bigger fighter. I just don't think GGG would knock out Ward but I think they'd both win by decision.

Good boy hasn't faced anything close to SOG's skill level. I like GGG but he's pretty open to getting hit. I just don't see Ward letting GGG impose his will on him or dictate the action of the fight. I think Ward would be fine boxing from a distance then clinching when Good Boy gets too close for comfort. I'm not saying GGG doesn't have a chance, with his power he always has a shot at turning around a fight into his favor. IMHO, SOG is just too skilled and cerebral in the ring. And also, to be frank, I think the fight may not be as exciting as we'd all hope.

Ward by decision.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject:

XTN wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
Ward out points him.

Good boy hasn't faced anything close to SOG's skill level. I like GGG but he's pretty open to getting hit. I just don't see Ward letting GGG impose his will on him or dictate the action of the fight. I think Ward would be fine boxing from a distance then clinching when Good Boy gets too close for comfort. I'm not saying GGG doesn't have a chance, with his power he always has a shot at turning around a fight into his favor. IMHO, SOG is just too skilled and cerebral in the ring. And also, to be frank, I think the fight may not be as exciting as we'd all hope.

Ward by decision.

exactly..

I love GGG but he'll stand there in the pocket and take some shots.. not a smart move against a bigger fighter.. though he's proved me wrong in the past. Everyone is scared of GGG.. its kinda pathetic. this is the fight game.. you're supposed to fight each other.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
XTN wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
Ward out points him.

Ward by decision.

exactly..

I love GGG but he'll stand there in the pocket and take some shots.. not a smart move against a bigger fighter.. though he's proved me wrong in the past. Everyone is scared of GGG.. its kinda pathetic. this is the fight game.. you're supposed to fight each other.

It's the politics, alphabet organizations and promoters that aren't making the fights we want to see. You constantly hear Floyd say I want to give the fans what they want to see. We wanted to see him and Manny for years. The WBA has two or three belts at each class so they can continue to get fighters for sanctioning fees. And when Haymon is getting Jermaine Taylor a title shot and he's the 15th ranked fighter by the IBF, you know it's ugly.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject:

XTN wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
Ward out points him.

Ward by decision.

I could definitely see that happening. The way SOG went through that Super Six was just crazy.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject:

yup, if geale was able to make GGG miss.. think about what SOG would do. SOG hits harder than Geale too.. who knows what would happen if GGG started backing up… never seen him do that.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
XTN wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
Ward out points him.

Ward by decision.

I could definitely see that happening. The way SOG went through that Super Six was just crazy.

Man, that has to be one of the toughest fights to call. I'd say it would be a 50/50, but if I were to pick a favored fighter going in, it'd be Dre.

I agree with everyone saying a decision, either way. I can't see GGG getting off his shots as cleanly against Dre, as compared to any of his other opponents. Plus, if that fight happens, it'll be at 168, so there'll be a question if GGG's power translates up.

Doesn't matter anyway. Looks like it may be GGG vs. Marco Antonio-Rubio, but venue is still TBD. I'm hoping and praying for the Forum or anywhere else in LA! I purposely didn't buy tickets to the Carson fights, just so I could spend extra to get closer seats for GGG.

http://www.fightsaga.com/news/item/4673-Gennady-Golovkin-vs-Marco-Antonio-Rubio-on-October-18th

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Cotto vs. Andy Lee...Not that bad a matchup, actually.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=41&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB0QqQIoADAAOCg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fthaboxingvoice.com%2Flou-dibella-miguel-cotto-vs-andy-lee-is-a-recipe-for-a-huge-fight-in-the-madison-square-garden%2F29243&ei=PdLzU_W3KozQigLTtYDoAQ&usg=AFQjCNHefgIi1PGLXe4FPx6WmOc2rjTi_Q&sig2=MhT30pPOEHl09gt_9YCMdg

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
yup, if geale was able to make GGG miss.. think about what SOG would do. SOG hits harder than Geale too.. who knows what would happen if GGG started backing up… never seen him do that.

Thing is, that's what makes the matchup so intriguing. I love Dre, but I've also seen him get knocked down, and also hit very cleanly by punches (despite his having excellent defense). Dre also hasn't faced anybody with the thudding power that GGG has and it's not as if GGG is awful defensively. He cuts off the ring like nobody I've seen...effortlessly...and despite not being that "quick," manages to create angles that put him in position to land heavy shots all the time. One shot from GGG might be all that's needed. I can't say that Dre's defense is as good as Floyd's, so the question to me would be, does GGG's power translate at 168, against a fighter who has spent his entire career there? That's a pretty big question mark.

Still, both of them are two (2) of my favorites in the sport, so I'd definitely pay to watch it.

Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject:

I think of the fight with Geale.. GGG took a big shot by Geale and then landed the KO right after..

I have to believe that you put SOG in there -a bigger guy with more power.. and GGG isn't able to fire that shot.

so yeah.. lots of ????

is SOG's defense good enough elude GGG's ring generalship?
can GGG handle SOG's power?

still think SOG wins a close decision and most are disappointed that SOG didn't engage more but simple out pointed him.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
I think of the fight with Geale.. GGG took a big shot by Geale and then landed the KO right after..

I have to believe that you put SOG in there -a bigger guy with more power.. and GGG isn't able to fire that shot.

so yeah.. lots of ????

still think SOG wins a close decision and most are disappointed that SOG didn't engage more but simple out pointed him.

Yeah, but by that point, where Geale landed that shot, do you really think GGG respected his power? We're talking past the "feel out" rounds and I think GGG didn't respect his power anymore, and the only reason Geale landed that clean shot was because GGG didn't feel he could hurt him.

Even vs. Stevens, you could tell GGG was still much more cautious. Stevens has way more power than Geale does and actually did land some good shots on GGG. GGG was more patient it that fight and Stevens didn't land anything near as flush as Geale.

Overall though, I do agree that Dre would win by decision, but I'm not convinced anybody could take a flush shot from GGG, not even Dre.

Kdawg8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject:

GGG finally fighting at Stubhub Center on 10/18 against Marco Antonio Rubio. Hopefully he does more fights out here, if not for a wedding I have to go to that day I would already be in line to get tickets.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/11379862/middleweight-titlist-gennady-golovkin-face-marco-antonio-rubio-oct-18
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Kdawg8 wrote:
GGG finally fighting at Stubhub Center on 10/18 against Marco Antonio Rubio. Hopefully he does more fights out here, if not for a wedding I have to go to that day I would already be in line to get tickets.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/11379862/middleweight-titlist-gennady-golovkin-face-marco-antonio-rubio-oct-18

Was trying to post it up earlier, cuz CBS had mentioned too. 1 week before my b'day. Perfect b'day celebration.

Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

so yeah.. lots of ????

Yeah, but by that point, where Geale landed that shot, do you really think GGG respected his power? We're talking past the "feel out" rounds and I think GGG didn't respect his power anymore, and the only reason Geale landed that clean shot was because GGG didn't feel he could hurt him.

Even vs. Stevens, you could tell GGG was still much more cautious. Stevens has way more power than Geale does and actually did land some good shots on GGG. GGG was more patient it that fight and Stevens didn't land anything near as flush as Geale.

Overall though, I do agree that Dre would win by decision, but I'm not convinced anybody could take a flush shot from GGG, not even Dre.

agreed. GGG's power is ridiculous.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:

GGG Early KO

Agree, love watching him fight.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 311, 312, 313 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 312 of 514
Jump to: