General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 314, 315, 316 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject:

For the first time I wasn't annoyed by AD's pre-fight segment. He didn't play the "I'm pretty" card. He was actually a bit humble. Also he didn't do the comb my hair post fight with Jim Gray.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject:

His pops did brush his melon but he gave Taylor big props. It was a pretty good fight. Hate when Broner lays on the ropes. Dude should always be a busy fighter. When he's busy, he does good work. When he's not, his fights are close.
XTN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
His pops did brush his melon but he gave Taylor big props. It was a pretty good fight. Hate when Broner lays on the ropes. Dude should always be a busy fighter. When he's busy, he does good work. When he's not, his fights are close.

It was a decent scrap. No doubt Broner is physically gifted and has talent but dude doesn't use footwork to his advantage. Taylor was walking him down at will and it's not like Emmanuel had amazing footwork and was cutting off the ring he was just plodding forward. I find Broner fights more like J. Toney than FMJ. Until he starts using footwork to control the ring I think he'll lose to guys that just come forward and throw at odd angles (see Maidana).
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:
So upset. Won't be able to catch any boxing this weekend because TWC had an outage in my area last night, and now I have to wait a full week and a half for a tech to come out and fix it. At least I didn't have to fight to get a refund for the entire timeframe that I'll have no cable connection:

Anyhow, here's the schedule for this weekend:
http://fightnights.com/boxing-schedule

Sorry LD. I almost went to TWC when DTV was having a problem getting the Lakers. I had made an appointment to have them come to put it in. One day before they were scheduled to come they made a deal with DTV.

Yeah, sucks, but good thing is my internet is crazy fast with TWC (for whatever reason, my area has an instant upgrade to 100mbps, when paying for 50mbps). So, I found links on youtube for all the fights and just chromecasted them from my PC.

The AB vs. Taylor fight actually put me to sleep. I fell asleep in the 3rd round and then woke up in the 8th round. Saw the knockdown, which was a very clean shot, but AB is definitely way more tentative than he was at 135. His defense isn't good enough to keep pressure fighters off, so I'm not quite sure why he doesn't throw more combinations. With his hand speed, it'll be too difficult for slower pressure fighters (not that Taylor is really one) to get their shots off before he's gone. Maybe it's his conditioning though. The added weight might not be the best thing for him.

The Matthyse stoppage looked like a really early stoppage, even though it was partially the other fighter's fault for getting up right at 10, instead of 8 or 9.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject:

All I know is, I'm so hype to go to see GGG live in October, that I completely forgot there are any good fights to catch on TV (including Floyd vs. Maidana II).

Anybody else swoop up tickets for 10/18 at StubHub?

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject:

I might but not looking good. Spent nice coin on the old lady this weekend and gotta do some work around the crib. Where are your seats?
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
I might but not looking good. Spent nice coin on the old lady this weekend and gotta do some work around the crib. Where are your seats?

I can remember the section, but went with the $50+ seats, since there ended up being more interest from some friends than initially anticipated. I think 2 sets of 4 are in row G and 3 in row N. Of course, it's Stubhub, so all the seats are "good" seats. I just wanted to sit closer than I have in the past, just to get a better glimpse of GGG up close.

So glad I swooped up the tix, right after Nonito vs. Walters was mentioned...although, I haven't seen anything "formal" yet, as far as TopRank announcements.

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Nice. You should be in the middle with great sight lines. Take some pictures. Damn I wanna go.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Nice. You should be in the middle with great sight lines. Take some pictures. Damn I wanna go.

You know I will! Good thing the camera on my Note 3 is pretty darn good, so I'll have my extra battery charger with me, just to be sure I have enough juice to get through the entire night snapping pics and vids.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Amir Khan vs. Josesito Lopez?
http://thaboxingvoice.com/josesito-lopez-may-be-amir-khans-opponent-in-december/31111

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Awesome short piece on Kenny Bayless!

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Pacquiao says negotiations for a spring fight with Floyd are already taking place allgedly a 226 miĺlion purse split 50 - 50 with a mandatory rematch that gives the winner of the first fight the higher split. Money coming out of Dubai.

Link
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Pacquiao says negotiations for a spring fight with Floyd are already taking place allgedly a 226 miĺlion purse split 50 - 50 with a mandatory rematch that gives the winner of the first fight the higher split. Money coming out of Dubai.

Link

Floyd already refuted it, saying b.s. Arum already said he hasn't talked to anybody at TMT, but did put CBS (Showtime) and Time Warner (HBO) together to discuss the possibility of a joint promotion.

I won't believe anything until they are actually in the ring being announced. Even if a fight were scheduled, announced and they made it through training camp, I could easily see some B.S. preventing it from happening.

What's funny is, I could see Arum telling Manny that he's in talks with the Mayweather camp, but obviously Uncle Bob spins it differently when interviewed.

Last edited by Laker_Dynasty on Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject:

we're more likely to see a flying unicorn than to see these two step into the same ring to fight each other.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject:

Didn't Floyd day something about the fight only happening if Manny signs with Mayweather Promotions?
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Didn't Floyd day something about the fight only happening if Manny signs with Mayweather Promotions?

He's had other comments and responses that have changed over the past few years, but doesn't really mean anything.

He also said that he'd never switch over to Showtime (from HBO), when Bob Arum brought Manny over to Showtime for the Mosley fight. Obviously, that changed when Schaeffer made that deal with GBP and Showtime (e.g. money talks).

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject:

I don't think Freddie can help Lucian's chin, but I guess we'll see:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/post/_/id/10391/bute-to-train-with-roach

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject:

Did anybody catch the fights last night? I found out last minute that there was boxing.

Lateef Kayode was the main event vs. Ortiz.

I want to see what people thought, before I make any comments.

Here's the main event

Errol Spence Jr. was on the card also, along with Josesito Lopez and Cuellar vs. JuanMa Lopez. It was pretty darn stacked. Relatively entertaining. I'm trying to find a link for the entire night.

Cuellar vs. JuanMa

Charlo vs. Gonzalez

Williams vs. Gonzalez

Lopez vs. Cobos

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject:

Errol Spence vs. Bolanos

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject:

Brook vs. Khan being discussed
http://www.boxingscene.com/khan-vs-brook-hearn-confirms-talks-with-al-haymon--82067

But, I didn't even know that this happened (so, I guess that potentially prevents that fight from happening in December):
http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12040/9455799/kell-brook-stabbed-in-the-leg-while-on-holiday-in-tenerife

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject:

Check it out! Crazy that it missed all his major arteries, considering the length of the wound!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2753531/Kell-Brook-shows-horrific-12-inch-stab-wound-exclusive-video-Sportsmail.html

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject:

For those that want to catch the weigh-ins live at 3pmPST
http://www.sho.com/sho/sports/press-pass-live/141#!52460361

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-boxing-de-la-hoya-arum-canelo-cotto-20140912-story.html

Hope they can get both fights signed for 2015.

Garcia vs. Pacquiao would be really entertaining. Canelo vs. Cotto too.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject:

oliverginob
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject:

saw Mayweather's promo for direct tv yesterday, the guy reads at the level of a 5yr old
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 314, 315, 316 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 315 of 514
Jump to: