ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Haters are haters...
No other name for them!

Wary

marked by keen caution, cunning, and watchfulness especially in detecting and escaping danger

I don't even follow boxing but two professionals from the same weight class .. Both champions..
One asks to fight the other and all that ensues is a year plus?? Of family trashing on Manny while Mayweather wimps out and won't agree to fight

Is that correct?

He either will or won't.

Right.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I got a sweet stream, clear as a bell, no pixels. My computer feed can be transferred to my wide screen.

If Algieri had fought Pacquiao the way he fought Provodnikov he may have had a chance. He didn't, he just stayed out of Pacman's way.

It seemed to me as though he fought to survive not to win. I got the impression he was afraid of Manny's power, which is surprising because Ruslan can punch, 17 KO's in his 23 wins and he stood in with him.

His first loss may take him out of big fight contention.

That's awesome, j. I was all but set to stream as of last weekend, but after reading Algieri and his team talking so much ish, out of their a$$ and then seeing the promotional lead-up footage during fight week, I seriously thought that Manny would knock him out early, since one of the supposed strategies was to go after him early (even though it ended up just being a b.s. ploy to make the Pacquiao camp think that was what would happen).

And yeah, Algieri's defense is nowhere near as strong as Joshua Clottey. I actually think that, if Algieri did what he did against Provodnikov, he would've gotten knocked the f out. Manny's feints were making him flinch so much that, if he opened up, Manny would've countered him with another hard shot like in the 9th. One thing that hasn't been talked about is the fact that, when they showed the arm length, Manny's measurements were 23 inches vs. 22 inches for Algieri. Even though Algieri has longer arms, reach advantage was actually Manny's. I'm not sure where the difference in measurements is, but that obviously made a big difference.

5th round was probably the best example of what Algieri could've done the entire fight to make it competitive, but Manny's feet are too quick for him to get away with that for an entire 12 rounds.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
it just proves that the best way to beat Manny is to slug it out with him... and get one lucky punch in.

i dont think its lucky when marquez constantly tagged him in his first 3 fights and he clearly says.. "i will go for the KO".. then gets the KO. His training regiment was to get stronger so that he COULD knock him out.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Haters are haters...
No other name for them!

Wary

marked by keen caution, cunning, and watchfulness especially in detecting and escaping danger

I don't even follow boxing but two professionals from the same weight class .. Both champions..
One asks to fight the other and all that ensues is a year plus?? Of family trashing on Manny while Mayweather wimps out and won't agree to fight

Is that correct?

He either will or won't.

Right.

i think it is a lot more complex than that.

Floyd used to fight under Top Rank (manny is currently fighting under top rank), but he had a feud with Bob Arum, who runs top rank, a few years back.

I think most insiders would tell you, floyd hates bob arum...and the possibility of the fight happening would be a lot more likely if manny wasnt with top ranked.

Also - there's the money split issue. I'm sure this PPV could go for $80 and sell 3 mill easily, but floyd does has better ppv #'s than manny so i think he would demand A LOT more. This leads me to believe that even if floyd sat down to talk about making the fight, him and arum would end up fighting over the purse split.

At the end of the day, your average floyd hater will tell you that it should be 50/50.. but i have a really hard time believe any of them would go 50/50 on a business deal if they knew they brought a lot more to the table than the other person.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Haters are haters...
No other name for them!

Wary

Is that correct?

He either will or won't.

Right.

Floyd used to fight under Top Rank (manny is currently fighting under top rank), but he had a feud with Bob Arum, who runs top rank, a few years back.

I think most insiders would tell you, floyd hates bob arum...and the possibility of the fight happening would be a lot more likely if manny wasnt with top ranked.

Also - there's the money split issue. I'm sure this PPV could go for $80 and sell 3 mill easily, but floyd does has better ppv #'s than manny so i think he would demand A LOT more. This leads me to believe that even if floyd sat down to talk about making the fight, him and arum would end up fighting over the purse split.

At the end of the day, your average floyd hater will tell you that it should be 50/50.. but i have a really hard time believe any of them would go 50/50 on a business deal if they knew they brought a lot more to the table than the other person.

Thank you for that picture/story about this fight.

One question then
Is there anyone mayweather could fight that would bring him the similar money even if they went 50/50?

*Money aside it just seems like these two should fight.. Either one could lose but the fans really want this fight.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Wary

at these semantics.

Floyd is a boxer. He fights for a living.

Yes, I'm hating on Floyd because it is unacceptable that he is not chasing this fight. I couldn't care less how good of a businessman he is, I'm not in his entourage, he's not sharing any of that money with me.

I'm not saying it's all Floyd's fault that this fight hasn't happened, but it's clear as day that he doesn't want that fight, at all. That much is obvious. And he will continue to get hated on until anything changes on that end, which I'm 100% sure will never happen.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Haters are haters...
No other name for them!

Wary

Is that correct?

He either will or won't.

Right.

Thank you for that picture/story about this fight.

One question then
Is there anyone mayweather could fight that would bring him the similar money even if they went 50/50?

*Money aside it just seems like these two should fight.. Either one could lose but the fans really want this fight.

in terms of revenue, not really. I guess a vs canelo II or a vs cotto II could yield him $40mill.

I also think floyd is also kind of trying to give arum the "shaft". Who knows. At the end of the day i just dont see floyd coming to terms with Arum.. especially after arum has made it very public that the revenue would have to be kind of even between them.

I personally think a 40/60 split would be good for both parties.. but floyd would want more just as Top rank would want more (i seriously think this is how far apart they are).

Also keep in mind both of these guys are running out of opponents. It'll definitely be interesting.. Manny still has plenty left in him as does floyd.
In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

If you're angry because Floyd doesn't do what YOU want him to, that's your prerogative. LINK Floyd's not the only fighter doing this, he's the only one who's doing it on his own, no Arum's, De La Hoya's.

Call him all the expletives deleted you want to, it does not alter he's the best business fighter in the game.

I'm mad because I think he's afraid of Pacquiao under the circumstances that you stated? Mmmmmk. I'd be insulted if you called me a fan, how anyway can admire him is beyond me, I guess if your not impressed with money there's really nothing left.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Manny would fight floyd even with less money.. he's on record saying that.

Floyd won't fight manny for several reasons:
1. Speedy Lefty vs his style is a bad match up.
2. Pacman has power.. Floyd hasn't even tasted the canvas in his career (which is amazing).
3. His 0.
4. Giving Arum the shaft (as stated here).

In the end..there are probably a myriad of reasons.. but those are the big factors.

The Floyd supporters(non-logical, just repeat whatever PFB says) will mainly give you the last reason as why the fight hasn't happened. But the first 3 (in no particular order) are the real reasons.

I really like Floyd. I think he's an amazing fighter and athlete.. not to mention a really really savvy business man. I think that Sr. and Roger have really helped him make great decisions in picking and choosing his fights and counseling him. As a fight fan.. you gotta give it up to him. He's beaten everyone he's fought.. never been seriously hurt or even knocked down.

I still think Floyd would beat Manny… BUT.. I think Manny would make him taste the canvas.. it might be a very close controversial decision.. but Floyd would keep his 0.. and everyone would get a huge payday and the fans would get to see the fight of the century. MAKE IT HAPPEN.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject:

after watching Manny vs Algieri, I think Floyd will finally say yes and fight.... Algieri.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Doesnt matter how you put it, Mayweather will never be considered one of the greats when he has fought MAYBE 2 fights that were worthy or being IN PRIME, competitive fighter fights. One was the last prime fight for Oscar, which he won on a split. The other is Cotto. You can say Correlas too.

But how do the two best fighters of an era not meet? How does this happen? It happens when one guy knows the risk. Mayweather didnt risk in his career. To me, thats not an all time great, thats just a guy who played the system and with skill and a little luck, was able to get to where he got to.

Beat Pac-man, then Ill call him the best of his era. He still will never be top 3 middleweight though. Heck, Leonard, Hagler, and Hearns fought each other 4 times. Leonard fought duran several times. Thats a real ICON, the guy who fights the best. And Leonard fought them more then twice in some cases.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
after watching Manny vs Algieri, I think Floyd will finally say yes and fight.... Algieri.

hahaha. That was funny
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
Doesnt matter how you put it, Mayweather will never be considered one of the greats when he has fought MAYBE 2 fights that were worthy or being IN PRIME, competitive fighter fights. One was the last prime fight for Oscar, which he won on a split. The other is Cotto. You can say Correlas too.

But how do the two best fighters of an era not meet? How does this happen? It happens when one guy knows the risk. Mayweather didnt risk in his career. To me, thats not an all time great, thats just a guy who played the system and with skill and a little luck, was able to get to where he got to.

Beat Pac-man, then Ill call him the best of his era. He still will never be top 3 middleweight though. Heck, Leonard, Hagler, and Hearns fought each other 4 times. Leonard fought duran several times. Thats a real ICON, the guy who fights the best. And Leonard fought them more then twice in some cases.

what about marquez?
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

what about marquez?

Marquez is in the Bradley, Canelo level. It is still a top notch level, but i meant icon level like manny, oscar, I thought Cotto before Margarito was coming into that level.

In the 2000's, you had Tito(I thought he was overrated), Oscar, Manny, Mayweather and for a brief moment Mosley.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:

I don't think he's a top 50 middleweight. welterweight is another story.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Manny put hands on Algeri. Dude was clearly out of his league. Manny made it look to easy to get a clear picture. Last three fights: walking heavy bag Rios, Pillowhands Algeri and Bradley.

They both need this fight. Nothing at 147 attracts me other than that fight. Before Khan, Thurman and others get a sniff, Manny and Floyd need to hammer this (bleep) out.

Showtime offered Arum 40 million and 35% of the PPV for the fight. Arum turned it down. Uncle Bob probably wanted to wait until after the Algeri fight to see if he could get more but from where I'm sitting, I'll be shocked if this fight is made. They say the networks are holding it up? That's BS. They worked together to get Lewis and Tyson in the ring. Those two should have fought three times already.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:

The Oscar fight is a bad example. Oscar was far from his prime. Hell, he retired a year and a half after that fight. Far from prime Oscar. Floyd's signature fight will be against Corrales. Both undefeated and were in their primes. Corrales was putting people on their backs and Floyd made it look easy.

And he will not be a top middleweight because he's never fought at 160. If you mean a top welterweight, he'll probably be in the top ten, somewhere 6-8. Even though hasn't fought Manny, he's had many tremendous performances at 147. Dominating Mosley after Shane crushed Margarito. People begged him to fight Mosley and when he did and worked him, it was Shane was too old. Shane was well passed his prime but still dangerous at 37.

His fight with Zab Judah when both were in their late 20s was a great performance. He's never given credit for that Canelo ass whippin' who was the best at 54 at the time and it was easy work. Didn't run, walked the bigger man down and worked him. Does he need Manny? Probably. It will always be the stain on his record when compared to the other great boxers.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

what about marquez?

Wouldn't really count that as an all-time great fight even though that was his first fight back from vacation. Marquez did have to jump from 135-147 and Floyd didn't even make weight. But with that said, they could have fought at any weight, Floyd was going to whip Marquez's ass.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject:

When I say middle weight, i dont mean literally. I mean the smaller fighters, like in the old days. middleweight/heavyweight.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Perfect scenario for mayweather if I am his people. He finishes his showtime contract next year and wins both fights to tie rocky M for 49-0. And THEN, set up the biggest fight of the century with Manny. If he beats manny to go 50-0, he is the greatest and he should retire right there.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
marga86 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

what about marquez?

Marquez is in the Bradley, Canelo level. It is still a top notch level, but i meant icon level like manny, oscar, I thought Cotto before Margarito was coming into that level.

In the 2000's, you had Tito(I thought he was overrated), Oscar, Manny, Mayweather and for a brief moment Mosley.

Majority of Tito's fights were in the 90s. Only had like five worthy fights in the 2000s (Joppy, Wright, Vargas, Mayorga, Hopkins). All downhill after that Hopkins beat down.

Last edited by doughboy90650 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
Perfect scenario for mayweather if I am his people. He finishes his showtime contract next year and wins both fights to tie rocky M for 49-0. And THEN, set up the biggest fight of the century with Manny. If he beats manny to go 50-0, he is the greatest and he should retire right there.

He'll be pushing the hell outta 40. Best thing for him is to fight Manny in May and maybe again in September. Alotta money at stake but legacies are forever. Ray Robinson, Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali all have losses one their records and those are probably the top three boxers of all time.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
When I say middle weight, i dont mean literally. I mean the smaller fighters, like in the old days. middleweight/heavyweight.

He will be no where near the greatest smaller fighter, not even close. You take a prime Floyd and put him in the ring with a prime 1974 Manos de Piedra, Duran would probably kill that dude. If you're talking all-time great fighters from 130-154, Floyd honestly might not make the top 15.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

He will be no where near the greatest smaller fighter, not even close. You take a prime Floyd and put him in the ring with a prime 1974 Manos de Piedra, Duran would probably kill that dude. If you're talking all-time great fighters from 130-154, Floyd honestly might not make the top 15.

i got a good one for you:

pernell whitaker or money?
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

He'll be pushing the hell outta 40. Best thing for him is to fight Manny in May and maybe again in September. Alotta money at stake but legacies are forever. Ray Robinson, Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali all have losses one their records and those are probably the top three boxers of all time.

Ray Robinson was 128-1-2 he fought Jake LaMotta 6 times. Yes he fought that psychopath 6 friggin times. No way 50-0 comes even close to that. Not even. Marciano fought a lot of chumps to make it to 49-0 too. There is nothing magic about that number. If Ali didn't fight Ken Norton or Joe Frazier to keep his record clean would his legacy have been greater or less? Doughboy knows the truth.

Frankly if Floyd never fights Pacquiao that will be his legacy, that he never fought his nemesis. 50-0 won't matter to anyone but him and his sycophants.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 328, 329, 330 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 329 of 514
Jump to: