General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 329, 330, 331 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject:

I think the bigger question is whether Tim Lane gets to train another top level fighter. His "plan" was laughable. After the 9th round when his guy had been down twice and 5 times in all and lost every round, he tells him "Chris, we are where we want to be!" Idiot.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
I think the bigger question is whether Tim Lane gets to train another top level fighter. His "plan" was laughable. After the 9th round when his guy had been down twice and 5 times in all and lost every round, he tells him "Chris, we are where we want to be!" Idiot.

given the delusional nature of the pre-fight comments, i did not expect their sense of reality to shift with anything other than a KO or the final scorecards. thought Manny could have finished him in the 10th, but i'm glad he didn't get careless. beautiful shot in the 9th, and "the cage" memes are gonna be all over the internet for a while.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Manny put hands on Algeri. Dude was clearly out of his league. Manny made it look to easy to get a clear picture. Last three fights: walking heavy bag Rios, Pillowhands Algeri and Bradley.

They both need this fight. Nothing at 147 attracts me other than that fight. Before Khan, Thurman and others get a sniff, Manny and Floyd need to hammer this (bleep) out.

Showtime offered Arum 40 million and 35% of the PPV for the fight. Arum turned it down. Uncle Bob probably wanted to wait until after the Algeri fight to see if he could get more but from where I'm sitting, I'll be shocked if this fight is made. They say the networks are holding it up? That's BS. They worked together to get Lewis and Tyson in the ring. Those two should have fought three times already.

agreed

i think even if both fighters wanted the fight.. I'm not sure making it happen would be that easy.

everyone wants to conspire about floyd ducking, etc, but truth be told, manny hasnt always exactly said "i want to fight floyd"... His PPV #'s have been struggling recently.. I wouldnt be shocked if he is getting pressure from someone above to at least go out there and say it. Floyd is independent and makes decisions, but maybe he'd take the bait and at least have the spot light on him.

Would be nice to see this fight, both of these guys have plenty left in the tank. One in 2015, rematch in 2016. Both of em make about $100mill from both fights combined.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject:

the power is in floyd's hands.

Manny's been calling him out for years now.

If floyd can get over those things I previously stated.. then the fight will happen.

I'm not holding my breath though.. I got so excited last time.. only to be severely disappointed.

Manny just poses a big threat to Floyd.
Maidana, Canelo,Guerrrero, beat up cotto, Ortiz.. those guys weren't even close to challenging him.

Old man Mosley was the only one that had a shot.. and actually might have hurt him.

the first fight with Maidana was close by Floyd's choosing. He chose to stand there and trade with him. We all knew the 2nd fight would be more defense.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject:

Report: HBO, Showtime in talks to broadcast Mayweather vs Pacquiao from Cowboys Stadium

LINK

Quote:
Pacquiao has been more receptive of the idea. but Mayweather has made it clear that he wants nothing to do with Top Rank CEO Bob Arum. Obviously everyone knows that if this fight were to take place it would be the highest grossing boxing match of all time. Well according to Arum, two networks are in talks to broadcast the fight at Cowboys Stadium which has led many to believe that the two are HBO and Showtime.

Floyd offers Bob Arum $10 million to step aside?

LINK

If Floyd expects that to happen I'd have him drug tested. I don't think Arum would accept such an enemic payday for a fight that will probably be the highest grossing fight in boxing history.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
Drifts wrote:
it just proves that the best way to beat Manny is to slug it out with him... and get one lucky punch in.

i dont think its lucky when marquez constantly tagged him in his first 3 fights and he clearly says.. "i will go for the KO".. then gets the KO. His training regiment was to get stronger so that he COULD knock him out.

That was not a lucky punch. JJM had been setting up the overhand right from the beginning. Manny knew it and had been avoiding it.

When he got JMM in trouble he got careless and got KTFO. He went in for the kill and got killed.

I didn't see JMM clamoring for another go round with Manny. I believe he know's in his heart Manny will KO him.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject:

was it lucky? maybe.. JMM was getting the crap beat out of him..and swung for the fences.. and hit it! Manny was definitely careless.. and paid for it severely. JMM is a great fighter who's style is a perfect counter to Pacquiao's. I really don't want to see another fight.. what are we on now.. 6?7? LOL
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Report: HBO, Showtime in talks to broadcast Mayweather vs Pacquiao from Cowboys Stadium

LINK

Quote:
Pacquiao has been more receptive of the idea. but Mayweather has made it clear that he wants nothing to do with Top Rank CEO Bob Arum. Obviously everyone knows that if this fight were to take place it would be the highest grossing boxing match of all time. Well according to Arum, two networks are in talks to broadcast the fight at Cowboys Stadium which has led many to believe that the two are HBO and Showtime.

Floyd offers Bob Arum $10 million to step aside?

LINK

If Floyd expects that to happen I'd have him drug tested. I don't think Arum would accept such an enemic payday for a fight that will probably be the highest grossing fight in boxing history.

Just like telling the police how to watch over the Ferguson protestors... Telling an agent to step aside will never happen.. Seems like another very effective way to keep your name in the headlines while ducking the fight.
Now he tries to make Arum the bad guy who is holding up the fight.. Odd!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
marga86 wrote:
Drifts wrote:
it just proves that the best way to beat Manny is to slug it out with him... and get one lucky punch in.

i dont think its lucky when marquez constantly tagged him in his first 3 fights and he clearly says.. "i will go for the KO".. then gets the KO. His training regiment was to get stronger so that he COULD knock him out.

That was not a lucky punch. JJM had been settimng up the overhand right from the beginning. Manny knew it and had been avoiding it.

When he got JMM in trouble he got careless and got KTFO. He went in for the kill and got killed.

I didn't see JMM clamoring for another go round with Manny. I believe he know's in his heart Manny will KO him.

Careless and tripped, causing him to starting falling forward, which made the punch worse once it connected. Part of me wonders if the punch is as bad, if Manny didn't trip. Thing is, Manny was winning that round easily and going for the kill. Nonetheless, not a "lucky" punch at all, just good timing from Marquez. That punch doesn't happen, I think we're singing a different tune, when it comes to Pacquiao and Marquez might not have lasted any longer, with his broken nose and cuts (all from punches).

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject:

Not sure anybody in here will understand this, but Manny gave an interview and talked about the 9th round. To a certain extent, I wish Manny would get fed questions in Tagalog and then answer in English. I think his answers would be much better. Anyhow, just to give everyone an idea of what he said, he was wondering why Gino (who, IMO, did an awful job) went in to stop the action briefly in the 9th round, when Manny was trying to get Aglieri out of there, and Manny actually thought the referee stepped in to stop the fight, but then Gino turned to Manny and said "Fight":

It was near the end of the 9th, when Algieri was on the ropes and there was a split second, while Algieri was bending down, that Manny had his arm on Algieri's neck. Gino stepped in, seemingly to stop the fight, so Manny turned and started walking away. Only logical reason I could come up with, for Gino stepping in, was for that split second he thought Manny was pushing down on Algieri's head, but it was so quick that there wasn't any reason for him to step in, unless he felt Algieri was taking too much punishment.

Did anybody else notice it? I remember it clearly. I actually thought Gino was stopping the fight too. Manny obviously thought he stopped it when he walked away. Just overall an awful job by Gino. Really should've only been 3, maybe 4 legitimate knockdowns (6th, 9th, 10th). The early knockdown was a slip (even though Manny landed a jab) and same thing with the 2nd knockdown in the 6th. I was wondering why Gino was chosen, as he's messed up on some major fights before also.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:

If floyd can get over those things I previously stated.. then the fight will happen.

I'm not holding my breath though.. I got so excited last time.. only to be severely disappointed.

Maidana, Canelo,Guerrrero, beat up cotto, Ortiz.. those guys weren't even close to challenging him.

Old man Mosley was the only one that had a shot.. and actually might have hurt him.

the first fight with Maidana was close by Floyd's choosing. He chose to stand there and trade with him. We all knew the 2nd fight would be more defense.

I think "for years" is a bit exaggerated. I can remember manny clearly NOT saying "i wanna fight floyd" even after he got KO'd by JMM, and that's Dec. 2012.

And yes, it is "in his hands", ultimately. If he gives in to Bob Arums demands, the fight will easily happen.

The fight shoult NOT be 50/50. Of course, the fans would want Floyd to give in to these demands.. at the end of the day, if the fight is bigger than expected, he'd be losing out on a lot of money all the while putting it in arum's pockets. I ask again, how can any reasonable person ask floyd to do this if they themselves wouldnt?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

I think "for years" is a bit exaggerated. I can remember manny clearly NOT saying "i wanna fight floyd" even after he got KO'd by JMM, and that's Dec. 2012.

And yes, it is "in his hands", ultimately. If he gives in to Bob Arums demands, the fight will easily happen.

The fight shoult NOT be 50/50. Of course, the fans would want Floyd to give in to these demands.. at the end of the day, if the fight is bigger than expected, he'd be losing out on a lot of money all the while putting it in arum's pockets. I ask again, how can any reasonable person ask floyd to do this if they themselves wouldnt?

Because they want to see the fight. So do I but I'm not the one putting my life on the line.

When is it going to sink in?

FIGHTING IS A BUSINESS

Floyd, like Arum, is a business man. Unlike Arum he puts it all on the line, money, his life, his legacy, everything.

Arum sits in a plush office, in a high back leather chair, wearing Armani and takes no risks. He gets paid whether Manny wins or loses.

Yes I want to see the fight and believe it's up to Floyd to make it happen. If he does, great. If he doesn't, so be it.

I want to see him put the Everlasts on the hook for the last time in good health mentally and physically. I don't want to hear duh, duh, duh.

marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
marga86 wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

Because they want to see the fight. So do I but I'm not the one putting my life on the line.

FIGHTING IS A BUSINESS

Floyd, like Arum, is a business man. Unlike Arum he puts it all on the line, money, his life, his legacy, everything.

Arum sits in a plush office, in a high back leather chair, wearing Armani and takes no risks. He gets paid whether Manny wins or loses.

Yes I want to see the fight and believe it's up to Floyd to make it happen. If he does, great. If he doesn't, so be it.

I want to see him put the Everlasts on the hook for the last time in good health mentally and physically. I don't want to hear duh, duh, duh.

Yes, i agree, fighting is a business.

Most fans dont see it that way. I think floyd loses a lot in a 50/50 split. He has the support to back that he is the bigger draw here.

How many people will buy the fight because "floyd could potentially beat manny..?" as opposed to.. "omfg i just wanna see floyd lose?".

I really want this fight to happen - but if floyd feels arum is trying to take advantage of the situation, i wouldnt blame him at all. At this stage, he has a lot more to lose than manny.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
marga86 wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

FIGHTING IS A BUSINESS

Most fans dont see it that way. I think floyd loses a lot in a 50/50 split. He has the support to back that he is the bigger draw here.

How many people will buy the fight because "floyd could potentially beat manny..?" as opposed to.. "omfg i just wanna see floyd lose?".

I really want this fight to happen - but if floyd feels arum is trying to take advantage of the situation, i wouldnt blame him at all. At this stage, he has a lot more to lose than manny.

I think the latter is more likely.

Brings to mind a story I heard about Ali. A elderly White lady wearing mink use to sit ring side at all his fights. Ali notice and invited her to his dressing room after one of his fights to thank her.

She came to the dressing room and he thanked her. She said I come to every fight because I want to be there when you get your ass kicked.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
Doesnt matter how you put it, Mayweather will never be considered one of the greats when he has fought MAYBE 2 fights that were worthy or being IN PRIME, competitive fighter fights. One was the last prime fight for Oscar, which he won on a split. The other is Cotto. You can say Correlas too.

But how do the two best fighters of an era not meet? How does this happen? It happens when one guy knows the risk. Mayweather didnt risk in his career. To me, thats not an all time great, thats just a guy who played the system and with skill and a little luck, was able to get to where he got to.

Beat Pac-man, then Ill call him the best of his era. He still will never be top 3 middleweight though. Heck, Leonard, Hagler, and Hearns fought each other 4 times. Leonard fought duran several times. Thats a real ICON, the guy who fights the best. And Leonard fought them more then twice in some cases.

Saying a fighter is great is more than just resume. Floyd is an All time great from his skills alone. Name me another fighter that can do what he can and is not consider a great?

Oscar was past his prime when Floyd fought him. Cotto was prime when he fought Floyd? Lol.

Go look at Floyd's resume at 140 and below 140.
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:

That is not a lucky punch.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject:

1 month ago. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, they were having delusions of grandeur

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Since it's a short week for most folks, thought I'd post up the schedule early:

http://fightnights.com/boxing-schedule

Provodnikov vs. Jose Luis Castillo (yes, it's the same guy that gave Mayweather his 1st test, early on, and really should be retired already). It's in Russia and I don't see any signs that there will be coverage, but I'd still watch out for some links, to run while watching the Lakers (I'll be at Staples Center for the Minnesota game, so won't be able to catch it live).

Crawford vs. Beltran should be a really good scrap. Ray is definitely not as chinny as Gamboa, so I think it'll be an even tougher test for Crawford. I already see it. If Crawford looks good against Beltran, he might be Pacquiao's next opponent over Jesse Vargas.

Fury vs. Chisora
This is actually a really intriguing fight to me. Fury is chinny, but so is Chisora. I'm figuring a UK broadcaster will cover it, so I'd be surprised if there isn't a link for this one.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Hahaha...So weird to see Pacquiao fighting orthodox

Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
marga86 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
marga86 wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

FIGHTING IS A BUSINESS

Brings to mind a story I heard about Ali. A elderly White lady wearing mink use to sit ring side at all his fights. Ali notice and invited her to his dressing room after one of his fights to thank her.

She came to the dressing room and he thanked her. She said I come to every fight because I want to be there when you get your ass kicked.

Arum taking advantage.. what does that mean? he's a promoter.. that's his job. Floyd doesn't want arum to make a single penny more on him. thats the deal.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
When I say middle weight, i dont mean literally. I mean the smaller fighters, like in the old days. middleweight/heavyweight.

He will be no where near the greatest smaller fighter, not even close. You take a prime Floyd and put him in the ring with a prime 1974 Manos de Piedra, Duran would probably kill that dude. If you're talking all-time great fighters from 130-154, Floyd honestly might not make the top 15.

i got a good one for you:

pernell whitaker or money?

Floyd sparred an older Sweet Pea and held his own. It would be a horrible fight but they wouldn't throw anything. But I'll roll with Whitaker's career especially after his bout with Chavez.
rak_90046
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
Perfect scenario for mayweather if I am his people. He finishes his showtime contract next year and wins both fights to tie rocky M for 49-0. And THEN, set up the biggest fight of the century with Manny. If he beats manny to go 50-0, he is the greatest and he should retire right there.

He'll be pushing the hell outta 40. Best thing for him is to fight Manny in May and maybe again in September. Alotta money at stake but legacies are forever. Ray Robinson, Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali all have losses one their records and those are probably the top three boxers of all time.

Ray Robinson was 128-1-2 he fought Jake LaMotta 6 times. Yes he fought that psychopath 6 friggin times. No way 50-0 comes even close to that. Not even. Marciano fought a lot of chumps to make it to 49-0 too. There is nothing magic about that number. If Ali didn't fight Ken Norton or Joe Frazier to keep his record clean would his legacy have been greater or less? Doughboy knows the truth.

Frankly if Floyd never fights Pacquiao that will be his legacy, that he never fought his nemesis. 50-0 won't matter to anyone but him and his sycophants.

Ray Robinson was 128-1-2 he fought Jake LaMotta 6 times: "You never got me down Ray."
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject:

I can see fighters today being careful and picking/choosing who they want to fight. There's no reason for a fighter to get in the ring after trainer for two months per fight over a 20-30 year career and end up with no money. being responsible plays a big part. Two of the greatest fighters ended up practically penniless (Robinson, Louis). Much was done by their own doing but in today's time, the promoters are the ones getting fat.

Floyd is looking out for himself and I have no problem with that. His resume may not put him in the class of an Ali, Leonard, Duran, Pep or Robinson but he did have some significant challenges during his career. Canelo was the number 1 ranked 154er when he faced him. Shane was the number 3 147er. Corrales was the number 2 at 130 and 2 at 135. I'll even give him props for Cotto who was definitely on the down side but still dangerous. Resume not bad but not worthy of the greatest of the great. Resume is just as big as record in boxing.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject:

rak_90046 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
Perfect scenario for mayweather if I am his people. He finishes his showtime contract next year and wins both fights to tie rocky M for 49-0. And THEN, set up the biggest fight of the century with Manny. If he beats manny to go 50-0, he is the greatest and he should retire right there.

He'll be pushing the hell outta 40. Best thing for him is to fight Manny in May and maybe again in September. Alotta money at stake but legacies are forever. Ray Robinson, Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali all have losses one their records and those are probably the top three boxers of all time.

Ray Robinson was 128-1-2 he fought Jake LaMotta 6 times. Yes he fought that psychopath 6 friggin times. No way 50-0 comes even close to that. Not even. Marciano fought a lot of chumps to make it to 49-0 too. There is nothing magic about that number. If Ali didn't fight Ken Norton or Joe Frazier to keep his record clean would his legacy have been greater or less? Doughboy knows the truth.

Frankly if Floyd never fights Pacquiao that will be his legacy, that he never fought his nemesis. 50-0 won't matter to anyone but him and his sycophants.

Ray Robinson was 128-1-2 he fought Jake LaMotta 6 times: "You never got me down Ray."

Sugar was a straight up killer.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
jodeke wrote:
marga86 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
marga86 wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

FIGHTING IS A BUSINESS

Arum taking advantage.. what does that mean? he's a promoter.. that's his job. Floyd doesn't want arum to make a single penny more on him. thats the deal.

The first negotiations fell apart on the drug testing. He had no problem with arum making money then. He also talked to to Pacquiao and offered him 40 million which I'm sure arum would have recieved part of.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 329, 330, 331 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 330 of 514
Jump to: