General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 335, 336, 337 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Nissan wrote:
KobeStark wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/mayweather-lets-pacquiao-fight-may-2-052601554--spt.html

Is this for real?

Awesome news if it is, Floyd can slam Arum to the high heavens for all I care as long as the fight's made.

I think the only hold up might be if Floyd starts demanding some insanely low purse for Pacquiao, we'll see!!!

Do you really think Pacquiao will accept a 70/30 split in Floyd's favor?

How does Pacquiao's team think he is going to get the same offer Floyd offered him years ago after he officially lost twice and Floyd sold 3 times more than Pacquiao's last fight?

You know what, I think Manny wants Floyd so bad he'd take a lopsided split. I don't know about 70 30, I believe he'd go for a 60 40.

If Floyd puts some ridiculous offer on the table IMO he'd lose the boxing worlds respect. It would know for sure he's ducking Manny.

i dont think 60/40 for floyd is lopsided though.

You have a point. 40% of a projected $300 million is not a bad payday.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
marga86 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Nissan wrote:
KobeStark wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/mayweather-lets-pacquiao-fight-may-2-052601554--spt.html

Is this for real?

Awesome news if it is, Floyd can slam Arum to the high heavens for all I care as long as the fight's made.

I think the only hold up might be if Floyd starts demanding some insanely low purse for Pacquiao, we'll see!!!

How does Pacquiao's team think he is going to get the same offer Floyd offered him years ago after he officially lost twice and Floyd sold 3 times more than Pacquiao's last fight?

You know what, I think Manny wants Floyd so bad he'd take a lopsided split. I don't know about 70 30, I believe he'd go for a 60 40.

If Floyd puts some ridiculous offer on the table IMO he'd lose the boxing worlds respect. It would know for sure he's ducking Manny.

They will probably end up at 60/40. No way Arum lets Manny fight for anything less than that.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject:

abner was always a pleasant fighter to watch, glad to see he is getting some of his confidence back.
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Nissan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I've read the winner of the Khan vs Alexander fight may have a shot at Manny or Floyd. Arum and De La Hoya have been seen hanging out together lately.

I think Khan wins the fight because of his speed
. I think he will fight Floyd next year because Floyd can sell over a million easily against Khan and he would also get a piece of the UK money.

Khan put a clinic on boring ass Alexander.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Nissan wrote:
Nissan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I've read the winner of the Khan vs Alexander fight may have a shot at Manny or Floyd. Arum and De La Hoya have been seen hanging out together lately.

I think Khan wins the fight because of his speed
. I think he will fight Floyd next year because Floyd can sell over a million easily against Khan and he would also get a piece of the UK money.

Khan put a clinic on boring ass Alexander.

Alexander only looked good when he could get off first. He couldn't do it often. Not enough pop to hurt Khan and did a horrible job cutting off the ring on him.

Herrera gets jobbed again. Against Benavides I had him winning easy. Andy Lee with the nice KO of Korobov. Next up for GGG? Probably gonna want a mandatory first to make some money on in the UK though.
KobeStark
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
marga86 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Nissan wrote:
KobeStark wrote:

Is this for real?

$120 million for a 12 round fight and that's for 40%!!

I think more like 65-35 but I have a feeling Floyd will say something ridiculous like 80-20.

It seems as if Les Moonves is the one that's REALLY calling all the shots. If that's the case, more power to him.

But like before, I'll believe it when I see it!!
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
Tarver vs. Banks

I didn't see the whole fight (fast forwarded to see how it ended) but, in recent memory, I can't remember watching a fighter less interested in being in the ring than Banks appeared.

Tarver looks horribly fat and slow.

Kind of funny to see him celebrate and puff out his chest in that "victory" the way he did. Unless I'm just WAY out of the boxing loop and Banks is this really good fighter or the division is filled with chumps, Tarver should just hang 'em up.

Is this a heavyweight contest?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject:

Khan's hand speed is blinding, quicker than Floyd's. I haven't seen a five punch combination landed with such precision since Hedgemon Lewis, Sugar Ray Leanord.

Khan's definitely not a puncher but neither is Floyd. Both are counter punchers. It would be a boring fight to many. I think Amir would give Floyd more than fans expect.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject:

was it just me or did khan look better than he usually does?

always has been a quick fighter, but he looked pretty assertive out there
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:

I thought the same thing. I honestly think he'll give Floyd a run for his money if he fights the way he did last night.

The advantage Floyd has is being Floyd. Fighters are not accustomed to the level it takes to fight him. It's a different stage, not many are ready to perform on it.

marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
marga86 wrote:

I thought the same thing. I honestly think he'll give Floyd a run for his money if he fights the way he did last night.

The advantage Floyd has is being Floyd. Fighters are not accustomed to the level it takes to fight him. It's a different stage, not many are ready to perform on it.

was just talking to my friend about it. I tihnk manny would make good work of em.. Khan is to fragile to slug it out with him, but his style would make a good fight vs floyd.
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:

Virgil has kept Khan under control and his balance is a lot better. He got in trouble in the past because he would be off balance.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject:

Don't know if this has been posted.

Mayweather calls out Pacquiao

LINK

Quote:

“We are ready. Let's make it happen. May 2. Mayweather versus Manny Pacquiao. Let's do it.”

- Floyd Mayweather Jr.

I think it's going to happen.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Don't know if this has been posted.

Mayweather calls out Pacquiao

LINK

Quote:

“We are ready. Let's make it happen. May 2. Mayweather versus Manny Pacquiao. Let's do it.”

- Floyd Mayweather Jr.

I think it's going to happen.

I think it's PR b.s., quite honestly. I still hold to hoping that they all just stop saying anything in the public, get their business people to negotiating table, hash out all the details w/ a NDA in place during the negotiations, and then make a grand announcement whenever it's done! All the jabbering in the public isn't real negotiations anymore. Already been there done that with the back and forth b.s.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject:

Its not going to happen. Floyd will say he tried to make the fight, but the stipulations of the fight would be so (bleep) insane that there would be no way Manny could accept the fight.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject:

Floyd has backed himself into the proverbial corner. Pacquiao has said in no uncertain terms he wants to fight Floyd in the ring, not in a Instagram battle.

I don't know how much Floyd cares about what people think about him. If he only cares about the almighty Benjamin's the fight won't happen. If he cares one iota about his legacy the fight will happen. I wouldn't bet on the latter.

Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
Its not going to happen. Floyd will say he tried to make the fight, but the stipulations of the fight would be so (bleep) insane that there would be no way Manny could accept the fight.

Agreed.

He'll claim that Pacquiao is running because he won't accept an 80/20 split or something.

And did Mayweather really just say, "May 2nd, Cinco de Mayweather"? He knows that the 2nd isn't cinco right? lol
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
kcxiv wrote:

Agreed.

He'll claim that Pacquiao is running because he won't accept an 80/20 split or something.

And did Mayweather really just say, "May 2nd, Cinco de Mayweather"? He knows that the 2nd isn't cinco right? lol

Of course he knows it's really 02 de mayo he ain't no dummy.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Manny responded in a formal statement fairly quickly.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/12/manny-pacquiao-responds-to-floyd-mayweather-challenge

I still don't and won't believe it's going to happen. Anybody notice that, every single thing mentioned by Floyd is about how the public had been apparently "fooled" into believing it was all Arum and Pacquiao's side, yet doesn't claim any blaim in the matter whatsoever? He's dictating the negotiations, yet every single "supposed" negotiation has brought up a new term that wasn't originally there. It's one thing to be on the "A" side, it's another thing to be fair in business negotiations. And the fact of the matter is, he didn't mention anything about how he's planning on making the fight happen now. All he did was re-hash reasons why the fight didn't happen before. Who really cares anymore? The public doesn't care about the he-said, she-said of the past. All they want to know is "what have you done for me lately" (e.g. Just make the fight happen now and stop talking).

I negotiate for a living and, if someone were to give me reasons why they wouldn't approve a deal in the past, as reasons why they won't approve now, then it just becomes an exercise of futility. That's not good business anymore, it's just wasting time, and time is money.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject:

I've always stood by the "the fault is with both camps" argument.

after reading what Manny said, Floyd really needs to step up and make it happen.

I think 65/35 for Floyd would be reasonable. Lets see what happens.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject:

For those that missed it, it wasn't on the main TV card:

It was supposed to be on Showtime Extreme, but TWC f'd up my cable before it started, so nothing recorded.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Errol Spence Jr. got his guy out in 5 rounds

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
marga86 wrote:

Amir is more careful and calculated. It hides his chin better. That said, even though he dominated, Devon still hit him with some good shots that, if it were a puncher, Amir still going down.

Overall, you can tell that Virgil might have been a good choice for him over Freddie. Amir's not quite as exciting as before, but it helps protect his chin better.

I think Amir can give Floyd some issues, but still can't see him winning. I still say Floyd's punches are much better than he is given credit for (as far as power) because he's able to keep guys honest, with exception to Maidana, who just didn't have the footwork or speed to keep up with Floyd.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:
Tarver vs. Banks

I didn't see the whole fight (fast forwarded to see how it ended) but, in recent memory, I can't remember watching a fighter less interested in being in the ring than Banks appeared.

Tarver looks horribly fat and slow.

Kind of funny to see him celebrate and puff out his chest in that "victory" the way he did. Unless I'm just WAY out of the boxing loop and Banks is this really good fighter or the division is filled with chumps, Tarver should just hang 'em up.

Is this a heavyweight contest?

Hahaha...I agree. I think they mentioned it right that Banks looked more like a sparring partner than someone that was going in there trying to destroy Tarver.

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
For those that missed it, it wasn't on the main TV card:

It was supposed to be on Showtime Extreme, but TWC f'd up my cable before it started, so nothing recorded.

step ya game up .... get that Directv ..... stop bs'ing
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 335, 336, 337 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 336 of 514
Jump to: