General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 377, 378, 379 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
jodeke wrote:
In_your_Eye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Age is the bane of Chocolatito and GGG, both are 28.

I hope promoters will see what the advantage of showcasing them now would be for boxing.

There are few Foreman and Hopkin's

Golovkin is 33.

Right, my bad.

no signs of slowing down though.

Like a good wine, gets better with age.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
jodeke wrote:
In_your_Eye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Age is the bane of Chocolatito and GGG, both are 28.

I hope promoters will see what the advantage of showcasing them now would be for boxing.

There are few Foreman and Hopkin's

Golovkin is 33.

Right, my bad.

no signs of slowing down though.

I like GGG but that "mexican style" of boxing he subscribes to will slow him down sooner rather than later IMO... especially after he starts facing tougher competition. I'd give him 3 years tops before he starts to fall off...
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject:

its true.. he takes some big shots while giving out bigger ones. that'll take a toll.. though you can't tell yet.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
its true.. he takes some big shots while giving out bigger ones. that'll take a toll.. though you can't tell yet.

If a puncher, Canelo, Cotto, hits him with the shots Monroe did I believe we'll see another side of GGG.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject:

curtis stevens can actually throw some shots.. he hit him with everything he had.. and GGG didn't blink.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
curtis stevens can actually throw some shots.. he hit him with everything he had.. and GGG didn't blink.

Yeah, he walked Stevens down and dude hits like a mule kick.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Golovkin can go Mexican Style because I really don't see anyone who can really bang with him other than maybe Alzarez.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject:

Froch's team is in negotiations with K2 promotions for farewell fight with GGG at Wembley:

Link
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Froch's team is in negotiations with K2 promotions for farewell fight with GGG at Wembley:

Link

If Froch does that fight, I give him major props because he had said before that he's running far away from fighting GGG, cuz GGG punches like a mule! But, I wouldn't be surprised if they price himself out of making the fight happen.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Golovkin can go Mexican Style because I really don't see anyone who can really bang with him other than maybe Alzarez.

Yeah, he'll be fine for the short-term but you don't see too many pressure fighters last too deep into their 30s; even ATGs like Duran and Chavez fell off a bit in their early to mid 30s, though GGG is not nearly as battle-worn as those guys were at his age.

The Froch fight at Wembley is very intriguing as I think Froch's boxing skills are a bit underrated... but at the end of the day Froch has never had a great chin and I think that will do him in within the first 5 or 6 rounds of the fight. From what I recall, Jermain Taylor was a career middleweight who was able to knock down Froch early in only his 1st or 2nd fight at super middleweight (though he eventually ended up losing the fight).

Will be interesting to see if the $$$ get worked out for the fight; I do think Froch deserves the bulk of the purse for being the more established fighter and being the first P4P fighter willing to take on a beast like GGG.

As an FYI, Ring Magazine moved GGG up to #4 P4P a couple days ago (Chocolatito was moved up to #2).
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:
Completely forgot Kell Brook was fighting Frankie Gavin next weekend http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/9855574/frankie-gavin-sends-warning-to-ibf-champion-kell-brook

Will the fight be carried by either HBO or Showtime?

Good question, jo. I think, it'll likely be a HBO broadcast. They broadcasted Kell's last fight, against Jo Jo Dan, and Frankie Gavin is a much better opponent.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject:

I don't know if Floyd vs Manny or Gennady vs Monroe was the catalyst but a major national channel is broadcasting a fight this weekend. 5/23 1:30pm

Channel 4 KNBC is airing Andre Dirrell vs James DeGale also Edwin Rodriguez vs Craig Baker

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I don't know if Floyd vs Manny or Gennady vs Monroe was the catalyst but a major national channel is broadcasting a fight this weekend. 5/23 1:30pm

Channel 4 KNBC is airing Andre Dirrell vs James DeGale also Edwin Rodriguez vs Craig Baker

Had nothing to do with Mayweather or GGG. Those TV deals were signed early in the year to bring boxing back to free TV, a promoter finally saw how MMA was gaining popularity by having free MMA fights and decided boxing needed to bring those back.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Osei wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

Yeah, he'll be fine for the short-term but you don't see too many pressure fighters last too deep into their 30s; even ATGs like Duran and Chavez fell off a bit in their early to mid 30s, though GGG is not nearly as battle-worn as those guys were at his age.

The Froch fight at Wembley is very intriguing as I think Froch's boxing skills are a bit underrated... but at the end of the day Froch has never had a great chin and I think that will do him in within the first 5 or 6 rounds of the fight. From what I recall, Jermain Taylor was a career middleweight who was able to knock down Froch early in only his 1st or 2nd fight at super middleweight (though he eventually ended up losing the fight).

Will be interesting to see if the $$$ get worked out for the fight; I do think Froch deserves the bulk of the purse for being the more established fighter and being the first P4P fighter willing to take on a beast like GGG.

As an FYI, Ring Magazine moved GGG up to #4 P4P a couple days ago (Chocolatito was moved up to #2).

Totally agree. And Froch should get the lion's share. That crowd would be straight crazy. The English love their soccer and boxing. You see the support Hatton has received over the years.

Here is the Ring Magazine pound-for-pound rankings:

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
2. Roman Gonzalez
3. Wladimir Klitschko
4. Gennady Golovkin
5. Guillermo Rigondeaux
6. Manny Pacquiao
7. Carl Froch
8. Sergey Kovalev
9. Terence Crawford
10. Shinsuke Yamanaka
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject:

The one fight I want to see is Ward vs. GGG.

It's funny GGG camp always said "we'll fight anyone" and "Ward doesn't want to fight Golovkin".

But now the truth comes out. Golovkin doesn't want to move up to super middleweight and it "doesn't make fiscal sense" to fight Ward.

Haven't heard a flip flop like that since Romney ran in 2012
Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

It's funny GGG camp always said "we'll fight anyone" and "Ward doesn't want to fight Golovkin".

But now the truth comes out. Golovkin doesn't want to move up to super middleweight and it "doesn't make fiscal sense" to fight Ward.

Assuming Ward is on the same level he was prior to being inactive, that's one fight where I'd strongly favor Ward. Ward is the naturally bigger guy and is one of the best inside fighters I've ever seen... Ward would be the only guy within a reasonable weight range for GGG that I'd favor over GGG.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Had nothing to do with Mayweather or GGG. Those TV deals were signed early in the year to bring boxing back to free TV, a promoter finally saw how MMA was gaining popularity by having free MMA fights and decided boxing needed to bring those back.

Well, technically, Al Haymon is not considered a promoter, which is why Top Rank and Golden Boy are looking to sue him. In any event, it was Al Haymon's doing that we get to see Premiere Boxing Championship fights on Free TV (NBC and CBS signed deals).

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Here's the boxing schedule for the weekend:

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/schedule

http://fightnights.com/boxing-schedule

In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Lara, direll, a bunch of people have expressed interest in fighting him, he's not the bogey man everyone makes him out to be but he wants to wait for the money fights with smaller guys first. Good business sense but your going to catch (bleep) when you say anyone from 154 to 168 and then turn down all 168 pounders.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:

It's gotta be right to fight certain 168ers. I think it was a huge mistake to say 154-168. But the latest is a bout with Carl Froch overseas. That's a reason to go up to 168. Imagine 65k at Wimbley. Big money and a good name on his resume even if Froch is on the down side.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
It's gotta be right to fight certain 168ers. I think it was a huge mistake to say 154-168. But the latest is a bout with Carl Froch overseas. That's a reason to go up to 168. Imagine 65k at Wimbley. Big money and a good name on his resume even if Froch is on the down side.

Rewatched the Ward/Froch fight a week ago.
Wasn't even close.
For being an inside fighter, Ward has great defensive technique. Not used to seeing a supermiddle weight dodge punches like that.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject:

Score the Andre Dirrell vs James DeGale and Edwin Rodriguez Vs Craig Baker fights. KNBC 4 1:30pm After each fight post your round by round scores here.

I'm curious as to how each of us sees the fight and how close we come to the judges and each others decisions.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat May 23, 2015 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Osei wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

Totally agree. And Froch should get the lion's share. That crowd would be straight crazy. The English love their soccer and boxing. You see the support Hatton has received over the years.

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
2. Roman Gonzalez
3. Wladimir Klitschko
4. Gennady Golovkin
5. Guillermo Rigondeaux
6. Manny Pacquiao
7. Carl Froch
8. Sergey Kovalev
9. Terence Crawford
10. Shinsuke Yamanaka

Kovalev with no respect. sad. he's a beast.
Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Osei wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
2. Roman Gonzalez
3. Wladimir Klitschko
4. Gennady Golovkin
5. Guillermo Rigondeaux
6. Manny Pacquiao
7. Carl Froch
8. Sergey Kovalev
9. Terence Crawford
10. Shinsuke Yamanaka

Kovalev with no respect. sad. he's a beast.

Not so much a lack of respect as there is not too strong of a reason to move the guys above him down yet. Other than Pacquiao everyone above him is either undefeated or hasn't lost in years. I guess you could rate him above Pacquiao and Froch but Pac and Froch's rankings reflect the fact that they are more established fighters who've fought extremely tough opposition over the course of their careers...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Well, technically, Al Haymon is not considered a promoter, which is why Top Rank and Golden Boy are looking to sue him. In any event, it was Al Haymon's doing that we get to see Premiere Boxing Championship fights on Free TV (NBC and CBS signed deals).

Now isn't that just being petty....instead of exposing people who don't really watch boxing and could be interested in fights other than the big PPV's, these guys want their cut.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 377, 378, 379 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 378 of 514
Jump to: