General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 384, 385, 386 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Andre Ward is beating up Paul Smith. Just a good sparring session.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Porter got 1 million and Broner got 1.35 million. Rumors said Broner is near broke. If that's true, bet he'd want those twenties he flushed down the toilet.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject:

Oh well back to the party bus for AB
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Porter got 1 million and Broner got 1.35 million. Rumors said Broner is near broke. If that's true, bet he'd want those twenties he flushed down the toilet.

I'm not sure what he can do now. The welterweights seem to big for him and he doesn't have the power to keep anyone off of him. After the Porter and Maidana fights any trainer is going to preach pressure, pressure, pressure. He doesn't like it when your close so he holds and clinches while he should be jabbing and using lateral movement. The top welterweights are mayweather, pacquiao, porter, Thurman, Bradley, and Jesse Vargas and he can't beat any of them. He could probably go back down to 140 but you have Danny Garcia , Peterson, Terrance Crawford, Lucas Mattysse, and Provodnikof and I don't think he can make 135 again although he did win titles in that division. It just doesn't look good for him right now
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject:

The thing with Broner is that when he works off his front foot and attacks behind the jab he looks really good. But he wants to lean back work off the back foot and try to catch guys coming in with the right hand counter. This isn't gonna work for him with guys that pressure him he's stuck with what he did last night which is clutch and foul. Put him in with Rios and Brandon eats this guy's lunch.

Last edited by ExPatLkrFan on Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

I'm not sure what he can do now. The welterweights seem to big for him and he doesn't have the power to keep anyone off of him. After the Porter and Maidana fights any trainer is going to preach pressure, pressure, pressure. He doesn't like it when your close so he holds and clinches while he should be jabbing and using lateral movement. The top welterweights are mayweather, pacquiao, porter, Thurman, Bradley, and Jesse Vargas and he can't beat any of them. He could probably go back down to 140 but you have Danny Garcia , Peterson, Terrance Crawford, Lucas Mattysse, and Provodnikof and I don't think he can make 135 again although he did win titles in that division. It just doesn't look good for him right now

My advice would be to stay at 140. Garcia and Peterson will move up and the only people he'd hafta worry about is Crawford, which he probably won't fight because of Top Rank; and Matthysse. I've never seen a guy who looks so good in the gym and when he gets in the ring, he just does not let his hands go.

He's probably got about 2 more losses left before he's fighting on FOX Sports 6, home of cycling and badminton.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject:

Forgot about the Lemieux - N'Dam fight ..... N'dam had the breaks beat off of him ...... best fight of the night
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:

He did the same thing against Froch.
I just don't see how anyone challenges him besides Kovalev.
I don't think GGG has Ward's level of technique.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

My advice would be to stay at 140. Garcia and Peterson will move up and the only people he'd hafta worry about is Crawford, which he probably won't fight because of Top Rank; and Matthysse. I've never seen a guy who looks so good in the gym and when he gets in the ring, he just does not let his hands go.

He's probably got about 2 more losses left before he's fighting on FOX Sports 6, home of cycling and badminton.

Dough do you think he can make 140. He weighed in at 157 at fight time which is probably his walking around weight. Dropping about 17 pounds has got to be rough. Garcia and Peterson are moving up because they are having a hard time making weight. I agree he has the talent. He might need a change in trainers. Look what it did for cotto
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

He did the same thing against Froch.
I just don't see how anyone challenges him besides Kovalev.
I don't think GGG has Ward's level of technique.

There's a few out there. They're all at 175. Sure Golovkin could move up and that would be a nice scrap, but he wants that check. Fighters are getting smarter and smarter these days. Think about it. They punish and destroy their bodies for two months just to fight for 36 minutes for a decent pay day.

Fighters are getting smarter and seeing that the check is the target and the belts have lost their values. GGG would get more loot fighting Cotto or Canelo and what I like is the WBC is finally stepping up and make the winner fight Golovkin. That would leave Ward out once again and maybe force him to move up.

I think he may be moving in that direction. Catch weight versus Smith was at 172-73.....And right now, the 175 division is hot as hell with Stevenson, Kovalev and even Fonfara and Beterbiev are making some noise. And there's always that lotto ticket out there in Junior Chavez.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

Dough do you think he can make 140. He weighed in at 157 at fight time which is probably his walking around weight. Dropping about 17 pounds has got to be rough. Garcia and Peterson are moving up because they are having a hard time making weight. I agree he has the talent. He might need a change in trainers. Look what it did for cotto

I think he F'd up jumping from 135-147 so quickly. Made no sense because it didn't establish him in one class for a significant amount of time. It sounds good being a three time champion in three weight classes, sounds great. He did destroy DeMarco, who was the best lightweight out there and when he moved up to 47, he faced the weakest champ in malignaggi and got a split decision. I knew he was in trouble.

He can make the weight at 140 but it will kill him because he's not disciplined. can't get up to 160-170 and then lose all that weight. He struggles with 147er. I just don't know what he can do. Dude is so quick and gifted but never uses his jab. I can see Stafford in the corner sometimes just getting irritated.
Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

He can make the weight but IMO he looked drained at the weigh-in even trying to make the 144 vs. Porter. 140 definitely a better weight for him than 147 but even at 140 he had problems with freaking Emmanuel Taylor. IMO Algieri beats Broner all day at 140.

I thought Broner's defense was fairly solid vs. Porter (Broner was never in trouble in the fight like he was vs. Maidana) and thought when he landed, Broner was landing cleaner shots than Porter; IMO he was the more skilled boxer in the fight. But you're not going to win fights vs. Porter or Maidana throwing only 300 punches over the entire fight. Broner needs to rework his offensive strategy - throw more jabs and in general needs to be more active - even if it means trading punches (which in his losses he's been scared to do). It may be that he needs a fresh start with a new trainer - the talent is there he's just not executing.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject:

pretty much ....... this kid is so gifted in the gym.... we see these beautiful quick combinations but he never uses them. Emmanuel Taylor? Hell, his fight with Molina didn't look good and was hard on the eyes. And he's headed to that stepping stone level instead of a title contender. He's far from a gatekeeper but it only takes another couple bad fights to get there. Dude hasn't impressed me at 140 or 47.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject:

Golovkin vs Lemieux - Let's make it NOW! Not "in the future" or "down the road"! @lemieuxboxing @OscarDeLaHoya @HBOboxing

Golovkin is calling out Lemieux ..... that would be a good scrap.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Golovkin vs Lemieux - Let's make it NOW! Not "in the future" or "down the road"! @lemieuxboxing @OscarDeLaHoya @HBOboxing

Golovkin is calling out Lemieux ..... that would be a good scrap.

Absolutely! Would love to see that fight.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject:

I had to spread out the cards. Was too tired to watch all of them Saturday.

My short thoughts:

- Dre Ward did what he needed. Looked decent for a tune-up off the long layoff.

- Lemieux looked good against N'Dam. Lost a couple rounds, where N'dam actually outboxed him. N'dam already showed us his ability/heart to keep trying and getting up from multiple knockdowns before,

- Demarco vs. Barthelemy...Not really impressed with Barthelemy, but DeMarco doesn't look that much improved either and looks like he isn't with Freddie anymore.

- Porter vs. Broner - Was hoping Shawn would knock Broner out, but he out worked him for sure. Not sure where the 114-112 card came from. That ish was whack. No way I could give Broner more than 4 rounds.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject:

GGG got some nice choices.

Go down and fight Floyd. Probably not. Only reason for him to drain himself. That check would be nice. Fight not gonna happen though.

More realistically, Lemieux at 160 or Froch at 68. Those two fights would do great, in Montreal or the UK
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Broner could be so good. He proved it in the last round knocking shawn down.

Broner wants to be like Floyd.. and he is Floyd if Floyd didn't work hard.

Good tune up fight for Ward. I want to see him take on Kovalev. That would be such a great fight.
In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Wards body look a little off to anybody? His body didnt look strong, maybe 168 is going to be tougher with that lay off.

Broner got away with multiple fouls. Ugly fight. He needs to sell out in his fights to beat the top guys, the excessive holding will continue to rack up losses.

Lemieux gets tucked in to bed by GGG, hope they make that fight, should be fire works while it lasts.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject:

Ward returns fine to Smith

Quote:

Super middleweight champion Andre Ward’s return to the ring after a self-inflicted 19-month layoff could not have gone better on Saturday night. Paul Smith’s night could not have gone worse both in the ring and financially.

Ward, fighting in his hometown of Oakland, California (and in his first bout since signing with Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports), looked sharp, fast and powerful as he laid waste to England’s Smith, a former two-time super middleweight title challenger. Ward (28-0, 15 KOs) bloodied and beat on Smith (35-6, 20 KOs) until his corner threw in the towel during the ninth round.

Smith was due to earn $225,000, according to the California State Athletic Commission contract. However, because Smith was way over the 172-pound contract limit for the non-title fight -- he was 176.4 at Friday’s weigh-in -- he was fined 20 percent of his purse ($45,000), half of which went to Ward and half to the commission.

When the camps negotiated a Saturday morning weight check, they agreed that Smith would pay Ward an additional $5,000 per pound he was above 181 pounds. He was 184.4, costing him another $15,000, which meant the two fines had shrunk his purse to $165,000.

But Ward, who earned $2 million, showed the charitable kind of guy he is after the fight.

According to a source familiar with the transaction, Ward forgave the fines and gave all of the money he was due back to Smith -- $37,500. The commission kept its $22,500 share of Friday’s weigh-in fine. There are not many fighters who would do that.

Pretty cool thing to do after the beating he took. SOG got two million for that fight. I could see some people heading over to Jay-Z if two million is in the works. Don't see many fighters getting that though. Good to see fighters getting paid.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject:

In_your_Eye wrote:
Wards body look a little off to anybody? His body didnt look strong, maybe 168 is going to be tougher with that lay off.

Broner got away with multiple fouls. Ugly fight. He needs to sell out in his fights to beat the top guys, the excessive holding will continue to rack up losses.

Lemieux gets tucked in to bed by GGG, hope they make that fight, should be fire works while it lasts.

Physically, he looked the same to me. He's always been on the smaller side, at Super Middleweight, but with the layoff and recovering from his shoulder injury, I give him the benefit of the doubt. At least he made weight, unlike Paul Smith...181.4!

And yeah, Tony Weeks let Broner get away with a lot of things.

Lemieux still shows the same weaknesses, to me, that he showed when he was a top prospect and got KTFO. GGG's accuracy will put him to sleep, but I think Lemieux has the speed advantage.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject:

4 boxing cards on Friday, all televised, and HBO on Saturday

http://fightnights.com/boxing-schedule

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/schedule

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject:

Been a busy year for the fight game.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Been a busy year for the fight game.

It seriously has, dough. So many, that I don't even know what is fight of the year right now.

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject:

Provo vs Matthysse gotta be the club house leader.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 384, 385, 386 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 385 of 514
Jump to: