General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 391, 392, 393 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject:

If you dont like Mayweather, why did you make him so much money? YOU paid his salary.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject:

I don't even know if it was worth streaming that thing! It was exactly what I expected though. Not sure how one judge had 117-111. That's saying that Berto did more than Pacquiao did against Floyd, which Berto definitely didn't...LOL. I gave 1 round to Berto, and that was just based on activity level, where Floyd really took the round off (I think it was the 5th, or something like that).

Now, what I can say was definitely worth the stream, just to give the card a little excitement...Rocky Martinez vs. Orlando Salido II!!!!! If it weren't for Matthyse vs. Provodnikov still holding up the torch for FOTY, that fight might be the one to pick! And I totally feel bad for Salido. The guy took it to the champion and should have gotten the decision. I had him winning by 2 rounds. One thing is for sure, there's gonna be a rubber match on that one. Amazing all action fight, which I expected from those two anyway.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject:

personally, I give props to berto.

I didn't think he'd come out and try as much as he did. I know people will say it was no different than the other fights, but berto tagged Floyd a few times. I gave berto 2 rounds, that's it..

Also - give some props to Floyd, he put on a hell of a performance again.. and it's not like he didn't come out and swing. I remember one instance in particular he got tagged pretty good by berto, yet he turned that exchange around and popped a super good left hook to the body followed by some crisp shots to the face.

Look - I'm at the point where I just wanna see Floyd hit the canvas as much as the next guy... but prime Oscar is not walking through that door..

I will keep my word and say that if Floyd fight Khan, Khan will put up a decent fight.. you don't need a chin vs a guy who doesn't have KO potential.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
personally, I give props to berto.

I didn't think he'd come out and try as much as he did. I know people will say it was no different than the other fights, but berto tagged Floyd a few times. I gave berto 2 rounds, that's it..

Also - give some props to Floyd, he put on a hell of a performance again.. and it's not like he didn't come out and swing. I remember one instance in particular he got tagged pretty good by berto, yet he turned that exchange around and popped a super good left hook to the body followed by some crisp shots to the face.

Look - I'm at the point where I just wanna see Floyd hit the canvas as much as the next guy... but prime Oscar is not walking through that door..

I will keep my word and say that if Floyd fight Khan, Khan will put up a decent fight.. you don't need a chin vs a guy who doesn't have KO potential.

I give no more props to Berto than I did Manny. I never expect any boxer to just lie down, but Berto showed exactly why he wasn't really the best opponent available for Floyd, IMO.

Floyd is just on a completely different level. Even Manny, despite losing to Floyd, is on a different level than Berto. Amir, well, he's supposedly in talks with Top Rank to make a fight with Manny, once Manny is cleared to fight sometime into 2016.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject:

I thought the PPV was gonna be a BIGGER bust..

I guess in terms of how much Showtime paid Floyd, yes it is a bust.. but 400k is still better than I expected.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject:

PPV numbers are said to have been around 400-500k. Expected. I thought it would have been around 350k. They're lucky to hit that.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject:

There's boxing this weekend:

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/schedule

http://fightnights.com/boxing-schedule

Although, no major TV cards.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Mayweather is losing his grip on the financial end of the boxing game. He's also losing importance. His fight with Berto is already on Showtime.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Mayweather is losing his grip on the financial end of the boxing game. He's also losing importance. His fight with Berto is already on Showtime.

And he doesn't care either because he can ride off into the sunset. As much as he talked about Manny having the biggest payday of his career, I think he should also acknowledge that Manny helped him also get the biggest pay day of his entire career too (250 million). There was no other fighter, currently in the game and near his weight class, that he could've fought and made the same amount. From what he made on that fight alone, it was equivalent to 6 fights, where he'd average 40 million per fight. Even taking a for instance, if he had fought Amir Khan instead of Manny or even GGG. He'd still take a huge loss, if he hadn't fought Manny.

That's why I believe Berto was chosen. Very little risk, took a lesser guarantee (cuz he could afford to...even if he fought 4 more or 5 more fights, he could still afford to take lesser guarantees, after the fight with Manny), and it was practically a guaranteed win. I even gave Robert Guerrero and Victor Ortiz better shots at beating Floyd, than I gave Berto...and the shots I gave them to beat Floyd were very, very slim (if at all).

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject:

Have to agree L_D Manny was as much a boost or more to Floyd's career, money wise, than any fighter in the game today could have been.

His payday for the Berto fight 32 million is par for the Mayweather course. He'll get that for anyone he steps into the four corner canvas jungle with.

I truly believe, if properly marketed, another fight with Manny could be a success. I don't envision 250 million but I think it would be a large PPV.

MoneyMay is slowly riding off into the sunset. I hope he rides in the fashion he wishes, faculties and financial future in pristine condition. Only thing I want him to lose is his personality, it sucks.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject:

Wow...some of the spanish broadcast cards were actually very entertaining this weekend. The Boxeo card was like rock 'em sock 'em robots! I wasn't really familiar with any of the prospects, but still entertaining.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject:

Looks like Donaire isn't getting the Quigg fight

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/post/_/id/14023/quigg-donaire-going-in-different-directions-for-now

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject:

Anybody catch Tuesday night boxing? I have it recorded, so I hadn't watched yet, but heard it was pretty good.

Weekend schedule:

Can't wait for next weekend though, as I'll be watching the Postol vs. Matthyse fight live!

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Naw, my dvr is so full its ridiculous.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Naw, my dvr is so full its ridiculous.

Tell me 'bout it dough! I had to dump some of the Lakers summer league games, just to be able to record boxing!... And there were so many movies I hadn't seen on rotation, so I had to record those also, so I wouldn't forget.

I watched it last night though. It was pretty decent. Not great. Didn't miss much really. Entertaining fights overall, but nothing dramatic.

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject:

My old dvr crashed, so I lost a nice fight collection. Mine says BOXING 105/110. I have 110 fight programs and only watched five. My damn eyes might fall out the sockets.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
My old dvr crashed, so I lost a nice fight collection. Mine says BOXING 105/110. I have 110 fight programs and only watched five. My damn eyes might fall out the sockets.

Double check, dough. There might be some that recorded that were supposedly "new", but just repeats or much older cards that were marked as "new", but didn't end up being new. Just one way to get rid of excess.

I typically delete the ones that were just okay, and only keep the ones that were "classics". And I feel you on losing a nice collection. The one I'm using now is fairly new. New enough, that the original one had the Matthyse vs. Provodnikov fight on it, before it crashed! Also had a bunch of other FOTY candidates from 2014. Was so bummed.

leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject:

I'm not really a hardcore boxing fan - Is Duhaupas even legit comp?
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I'm not really a hardcore boxing fan - Is Duhaupas even legit comp?

He hadn't had any major competition yet. This was his biggest step up. He was a replacement for Povetkin, who got injured, but after watching him against Wilder, I think he'd pose some problems for many of the other heavyweights in the division. He actually did show me some things that are way more solid than a lot of the other heavyweights in the division. A fight between he and Stivern would actually be a very competitive fight. I'd love to see that fight.

As for Deontay, he got rounds and experience that he needed. And in the end, he took care of business and knocked Duhaupas out. Once Povetkin is healed up, I'm looking forward to watching that fight. Deontay needs to get better at circling out, with his hands down and chin up. It's a habit I've seen him do with shorter fighters where he thinks he's too far out of range, but there were moments that Duhaupas took advantage (albeit, very few moments). That swelling Deontay got was from another tall fighter having a good enough reach to tap him with strong jabs, so he's got to get better at creating angles, if he wants to dethrone Vlad. Vlad throws an extremely stiff jab, so that could cause Deontay a lot of issues, if the goal is to have a unification bout in 2016.

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Postol basically outfoxed Matthysse then shattered his eye. Oscar and Hopkins were salty while Arum was like, I dicked you again ODH.

Broner just beat some dude up over 12 rounds. Could have stopped him earlier if he had pushed the pedal.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject:

I just can't get on the Broner wagon.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Postol basically outfoxed Matthysse then shattered his eye. Oscar and Hopkins were salty while Arum was like, I dicked you again ODH.

Broner just beat some dude up over 12 rounds. Could have stopped him earlier if he had pushed the pedal.

Postol is looking better and better, each fight he has under Freddie. Freddie has got the kid fighting like a poor man's version of Tommy Hearns, using his length and mixing up punches, while also using movement to create angles. It was just as impressive watching from the stands, as it was when watching on TV at home. One thing I've realized watching live (if you're not actually ringside), is you don't have the benefit of seeing inside punches that might be happening for fighters to win rounds vs. the more flashy and apparent punches. So, for the Orozco vs. Soto fight, I actually had Soto winning by a wide margin (same margin that Orozco actually won by). After watching it on TV, the fight was much closer and I actually had Orozco winning by 1 round. With the Postol fight, I actually had an even fight heading into the 9th, but after watching it on TV, I had Postol up by 2 rounds heading into the 9th. The 9th and 10th were clearly Postol rounds, but it gives me a better idea of why people have mixed emotions about boxing, especially if they go to the live event.

I have some pics from the event, but in the process of transferring the files over from the phone, so I'll post some up as soon as I get a chance.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject:

Most of the pics I took weren't very good, after reviewing them on my computer. Just a little too far for the digital zoom on my phone to get a clear enough picture, but here's a shot of Matthysse on the ground, after the fight ended:

https://instagram.com/p/8a4-_hyZGq/

And a short video of Michael Buffer "Let's Get Ready To Rumble"
https://instagram.com/p/8a4r-gyZF6/

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Eye Candy shot that came out okay
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/drexappeal/Matthysse%20Postol%20100315/20151003_183745.jpg

Kaitlynn Ansari, but we were facing sun, so it didn't come out great:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/drexappeal/Matthysse%20Postol%20100315/20151003_171741.jpg

ODLH
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/drexappeal/Matthysse%20Postol%20100315/20151003_175829.jpg

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Even though we're all waiting for the big fights next weekend, there's still boxing this weekend:

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 391, 392, 393 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 392 of 514
Jump to: