Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 395, 396, 397 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject:

I didn't even know Dre was gonna be on the Cotto/Canelo card

http://goo.gl/l2Oh0V

Oh well, hope that knee heals up and he gets back to fighting regularly. He's been on the shelf way too long.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Gabe Rosado vs. Joshua Clottey on December 19?

http://www.boxingscene.com/gabe-rosado-working-with-fernando-vargas-clottey--97717

I didn't even know that Vargas was training fighters. I also didn't think that HBO would ever give Clottey broadcast time, after the whack display he put on vs. Manny.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Algieri's going to be on the undercard of Quillin vs. Jacobs, on December 12
http://www.boxingscene.com/photos-chris-algieri-putting-work-cage-open--97712

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:

Oh well, hope that knee heals up and he gets back to fighting regularly. He's been on the shelf way too long.

Doesn't seem like his hearts in it anymore. Guy gets a lot of credit for stuff he did 4 years ago.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:

Doesn't seem like his hearts in it anymore. Guy gets a lot of credit for stuff he did 4 years ago.

Yeah. I still support Dre, cuz of how he carries himself as a top athlete, but I don't think he's gotten the best business advisement over his career and in addition to that, he cleaned up the division a long time ago and there's no reason he couldn't have moved up to light heavyweight already. Took him until now. He could've fought Bernard at light heavy, before Kovalev did.

What's funny is, the more and more he gives interviews, the lower I think it's going to bring his fan support. He was always a very humble guy, but once he starts saying that no pressure is being put on other guys to move up?...He's obviously talking about GGG, but the difference is, GGG hadn't cleaned out Middleweight yet. He hadn't done what Dre did at Super Middleweight, so that's why he doesn't get pressure to move up and fight him at his comfortable weight. Dre cleaned out the division long enough ago that he's doing the right thing to move up to 175 and eventually challenge Kovalev. He'll get back to Top P4P once he were to do that and beat Kovalev.

Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Here's my prefight analysis and betting prediction for the Bradley/Rios fight: http://masterclassboxing.blogspot.com/2015/11/bradley-vs-rios-prefight-analysis-and.html
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject:

I wasn't convinced that Teddy would make Bradley look that much better, but he definitely adjusted some things with Bradley that will put him in a better position to get ko's. I kinda attribute him knocking Rios out to Rios' obvious lack of love for the sport. You could tell the guy just wasn't into it, from the very beginning.

Even though he said he's retiring, what better time than now to put him in there with Victor Ortiz! The animosity between the two, plus the fact that their careers aren't where they once were...It could be an amazing fight!

Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject:

ooh.. good call on the ortiz fight.. that would be awesome. such a rollercoaster with Rios.. he just beats Alvarado.. and has a poor showing against bradley.. who is really legit.. and then hangs it up.. bleh..
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Rios was done. It's not Top Tank's responsibility for this guy to be in shape. Even if they don't get him a fight, he's gotta be in doe type of shape and sitting on his ass for eight months and doing nothing is on him.

When you get stopped by 13 ko Bradley, you know you're done. You could tell his training camp was mostly spent losing weight. Damn shame. And it's never good making 147 then putting on 23 pounds. Let's you know where he was six months ago. Dude was easily around 185.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject:

If you like Mayweather and Andre Ward, you'll probably like this article.
If you prefer Pacquiao and GGG, you probably wont.
http://www.boxingnews24.com/2015/11/mayweather-golovkin-needs-to-fight-andre-ward/
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject:

Pretty good article. Just don't see them ever fighting.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
http://www.boxingnews24.com/2015/11/mayweather-golovkin-needs-to-fight-andre-ward/

Dude, that writer in particular is the most biased and borderline racist writer I've ever read. It's just a blog. He's not even an accredited writer...LOL. If you've ever read any of his articles, he shows his clear bias towards anybody non African American and is borderline attacking and disdainful whenever other non-African American fighters are mentioned as top fighters. I have that particular website set to block in my news feeds because they are all bloggers, not accredited writers.

Thing is, I love Dre. Here's my problem. I don't think the calls for him moving up in weight has anything to do with race whatsoever. Dre already did at Super Middleweight, what Gennady is trying to do at Middleweight. Thing is, the Super 6 tournament basically put Dre in a position to clean up the division and become the undisputed champ at 168. He didn't really have any choice on who he faced, it was just a matter of who won in the tournament, which he ultimately won (and I picked him to win from the beginning). At that point, he beat all the competition at 168...what else is left at that weight? Nothing? Nobody is forcing Dre to go up to 175. There's nothing left for him to accomplish at that weight because he beat all the top guys. For me, that a move up to 175 and win vs. a guy like Kovalev, that re-cements him as the top p4p guy.

As for GGG, how can he be tested, when ALL of the top guys are avoiding him? Quillin avoided him like the plague. Andy Lee was the closest to wanting to fight him, but that didn't happen. Lemieux had the balls to step up and got demolished. I mean, why is it frowned on for GGG to stay at Middlewieght and try to become the undisputed champ (like Dre did). It's not GGG's fault that he wasn't given a Super 6 like tournament that would've forced the top guys to fight him.

As for Floyd, I agree with him, but it's also the same exact writer discredits Manny for accomplishing the same things except starting at a lower weight. And that same writer NEVER points out the fact that Manny started his pro career, when Floyd was fighting at the SAME EXACT WEIGHT in the amateurs. So, that's why all the PED talk was a bunch of rubbish because if you look at their career archs, they were practically around the same weights. The biggest difference was Manny being recommended to drain himself to make 126 and 130 for so long, just because there were HOF boxers at that weight and it would be the biggest pay day. Manny's last fight at 130, he re-hydrated all the way back to 145. He probably should've been at 135 or 140 2 years prior to the first move up against David Diaz. So, before I go giving this blogger any credit whatsoever, I'll wait until the guy actually writes a very un-biased take on boxing, rather than his always 1-sided blogs...and at some times, clear reverse racist takes.

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Floyd just needs to sit back and get fat. And try to get his fighters to improve.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Boxing schedule:

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/schedule

http://fightnights.com/boxing-schedule

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Donaire and Verdejo co-headlining on 12/11

http://goo.gl/sui4qs

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Damn, I didn't know there was beef with Broner and "big brother" Floyd

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, saw that last night. Guess he didn't like those closing comment Broner said at the end of his fight. Kinda dissed his 4th world title after coming from a loss, which I do agree with. How in the hell do you get a title shot after losing a UD to Porter?
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Dude, that writer in particular is the most biased and borderline racist writer I've ever read. It's just a blog. He's not even an accredited writer...LOL. If you've ever read any of his articles, he shows his clear bias towards anybody non African American and is borderline attacking and disdainful whenever other non-African American fighters are mentioned as top fighters. I have that particular website set to block in my news feeds because they are all bloggers, not accredited writers.

Thing is, I love Dre. Here's my problem. I don't think the calls for him moving up in weight has anything to do with race whatsoever. Dre already did at Super Middleweight, what Gennady is trying to do at Middleweight. Thing is, the Super 6 tournament basically put Dre in a position to clean up the division and become the undisputed champ at 168. He didn't really have any choice on who he faced, it was just a matter of who won in the tournament, which he ultimately won (and I picked him to win from the beginning). At that point, he beat all the competition at 168...what else is left at that weight? Nothing? Nobody is forcing Dre to go up to 175. There's nothing left for him to accomplish at that weight because he beat all the top guys. For me, that a move up to 175 and win vs. a guy like Kovalev, that re-cements him as the top p4p guy.

As for GGG, how can he be tested, when ALL of the top guys are avoiding him? Quillin avoided him like the plague. Andy Lee was the closest to wanting to fight him, but that didn't happen. Lemieux had the balls to step up and got demolished. I mean, why is it frowned on for GGG to stay at Middlewieght and try to become the undisputed champ (like Dre did). It's not GGG's fault that he wasn't given a Super 6 like tournament that would've forced the top guys to fight him.

As for Floyd, I agree with him, but it's also the same exact writer discredits Manny for accomplishing the same things except starting at a lower weight. And that same writer NEVER points out the fact that Manny started his pro career, when Floyd was fighting at the SAME EXACT WEIGHT in the amateurs. So, that's why all the PED talk was a bunch of rubbish because if you look at their career archs, they were practically around the same weights. The biggest difference was Manny being recommended to drain himself to make 126 and 130 for so long, just because there were HOF boxers at that weight and it would be the biggest pay day. Manny's last fight at 130, he re-hydrated all the way back to 145. He probably should've been at 135 or 140 2 years prior to the first move up against David Diaz. So, before I go giving this blogger any credit whatsoever, I'll wait until the guy actually writes a very un-biased take on boxing, rather than his always 1-sided blogs...and at some times, clear reverse racist takes.

good points. I mean,total ownage.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:
kikanga wrote:

good points. I mean,total ownage.

Haha...well, I really am just criticizing that "Chris Williams" writer or whatever his/her real name is and in general, boxing24. It's amazing to me in reading any articles coming from there. It's almost like how I felt about Bleacher Report, prior to it being purchased/bought by a major publication. Prior to that, Bleacher Report was much the same...just a blog and no accredited writers. It made it no different than forums that discuss boxing, including our OT thread in here.

That said, it's amazing to me that people have to be fans of one fighter over another. Just thinking back to how much I loved the sport growing up...Sugar Ray Leonard was my favorite boxer, but that didn't mean that I hated Tommy Hearns or Marvin Hagler or Roberto Duran. I loved watching those guys fight as well. Sugar Ray was my favorite of the group and wanted to see him beat them, but loved watching the other guys just as much. The 80's just seemed to be the golden decade of sports. From Basketball, to Football, to Boxing and I could go on and on...there were so many greats in each respective sport. I just wish the writers could be more objective nowadays. Too many people, have too much access to become "writers," with the advancement of technology and the internet, so I choose to ignore the blogs because of that. They're just fans that clearly show their bias.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject:

I love the WBC's ambiguous nature, whenever they make strange decisions like this. Seems to me like Miguel just didn't want to pay them a higher sanctioning fee.

http://goo.gl/HEptBD

They can spin it will all their "PR," but reading between the lines really just seems like they wanted extra money and Cotto's team wouldn't let it happen.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
I love the WBC's ambiguous nature, whenever they make strange decisions like this. Seems to me like Miguel just didn't want to pay them a higher sanctioning fee.

They can spin it will all their "PR," but reading between the lines really just seems like they wanted extra money and Cotto's team wouldn't let it happen.

Cotto is a paper champion anyway. Canelo will likely beat him, but, if he doesn't, Cotto will duck GGG and get stripped anyway. Personally, I'm boycotting the fight (I'll catch the replay) since both fighters have made it clear that they're not going to face GGG next.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:

Cotto is a paper champion anyway. Canelo will likely beat him, but, if he doesn't, Cotto will duck GGG and get stripped anyway. Personally, I'm boycotting the fight (I'll catch the replay) since both fighters have made it clear that they're not going to face GGG next.

He was already stripped, prior to the fight. That's what it said in the article, but Canelo can still win the belt. I don't know if I'll boycott the fight and I knew that neither guy was likely going to fight GGG. It's no different than any of the top middleweights, from Quillen, to Danny Jacobs, to Andy Lee...none of them were running to the ring to fight GGG. I'm sure that GGG's demolishing Lemieux didn't help either.

I actually am picking Cotto to win this one. Except for Floyd, the rest of Canelo's resume isn't quite as deep as Cotto's. IMO, this is the biggest step up that Canelo has had, aside from Floyd. And he didn't even look that great when he fought Shane Mosley, who did surprisingly better than I thought he would against Canelo. And even then, I still enjoy watching these guys fight.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:

He was already stripped, prior to the fight. That's what it said in the article, but Canelo can still win the belt. I don't know if I'll boycott the fight and I knew that neither guy was likely going to fight GGG. It's no different than any of the top middleweights, from Quillen, to Danny Jacobs, to Andy Lee...none of them were running to the ring to fight GGG. I'm sure that GGG's demolishing Lemieux didn't help either.

I actually am picking Cotto to win this one. Except for Floyd, the rest of Canelo's resume isn't quite as deep as Cotto's. IMO, this is the biggest step up that Canelo has had, aside from Floyd. And he didn't even look that great when he fought Shane Mosley, who did surprisingly better than I thought he would against Canelo. And even then, I still enjoy watching these guys fight.

I got invited to a birthday house party the same night, so that makes it a little easier to boycott the fight
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject:

Cotto Trying to Avoid Paying Golovkin Step-aside Fee

Source: Link
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Cotto Trying to Avoid Paying Golovkin Step-aside Fee

Source: Link

Overall, Cotto would've had to pay 1.3 million dollars prior to even fighting Canelo. I actually think it was a smart move on Cotto's part. Funny thing is, Floyd has done the same in the past (not paying sanctioning fees, so he could keep the money), but nobody gave him crap, so no reason Cotto should be given crap either. He's near retirement in the sport anyway, so he should have the choice of keeping his money, rather than losing that much money.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 395, 396, 397 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 396 of 514
Jump to: