At what point do they scrap the press?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: At what point do they scrap the press?

There's just waaaaay too much fouling and easy points given up when teams break it...
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject:

It's being used as a teaching tool right now, but I'm certain that we won't see anywhere near this amount of pressing in the regular season. Expect our 2nd unit to press a lot while our 1st unit plays man-to-man D.
Amazing
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject:

The press is just a trick used to make people more aggressive in the half court set, im sure they won't completely scrap but, but use it very sparingly.
OshadowO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject:

in phil we trust!
guys got one of the higest winning percentages as a coach in the NBA. I'm sure he wants to keep it up there
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject:

.<sigh>
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject:

The press can be a very effective weapon when used sparingly and at the right times. But without working on it in the preseason, you won't master it.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Wait. 8 steals and regular forcing TO's throughout pre-season for a team that was the WORST In the league in those two stats and you want it scrapped?

Sure, it's being used too much. I expect it to be mixed up with man and i do expect zone to play a part of the team defensive system down the raod too.

But come on. Lamar's a point forward, Lakers are having regular 23+ assists games and they are forcing TO's/steals yet there's whining on all of those fronts.

What the Lakers should worry about? Who the hell is going to make a 3 point shot for them. That's the concern. Shotblocking when Mihm goes out is another.

Press, Tri or Lamar Odom as a point isn't a concern. Those are positives !
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Are u kidding, we couldnt get a turnover to save our life's last year. Do what it takes, mre turns equals more tansistion opputurnity's. Last year we score around 98, with better D, and a more displinced O, we should get that to around 100 -102 easily i think .
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Yeah they are forcing TOs but they are also fouling senselessly and giving up easy buckets to frontcourt players. Maybe just halfcourt press? lol
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Kobe2Lamar wrote:
Yeah they are forcing TOs but they are also fouling senselessly and giving up easy buckets to frontcourt players. Maybe just halfcourt press? lol

They are fouling because they still don't know the intensity to play at. Some of them over pressure while others under.

Subpar athletes who aren't smart ussually get into FT whenever they have to defend (Slava)

It's far from perfect but it's the right direction for a team with no defensive anchor and who finished worst in the league in TO's last season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LFFL
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Kobe2Lamar wrote:

yea, hardly any teams institute a halfcourt press
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Kobe2Lamar wrote:

They are fouling because they still don't know the intensity to play at. Some of them over pressure while others under.

Subpar athletes who aren't smart ussually get into FT whenever they have to defend (Slava)

It's far from perfect but it's the right direction for a team with no defensive anchor and who finished worst in the league in TO's last season.

And if I might add, that is why they are using it so much in the preseason, to get comfortable with it in games that don't count.
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Like I said a month ago, we don't have the personnel for the press. Stop this garbage and maybe they wouldn't give up so many easy points...

I don't think they got a steal off it once and they did it pretty much all game. What a damn joke...
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject:

I called this back in the pre-season and it reared its ugly head again today. What moron came up with the brilliant idea to press a team that plays 2 quality PGs at the same time? :roll:

Watching the replay, it's pretty much why they lost this game. Charlotte didn't have to work for half their points. So when it wasn't easy layups after beating the press, it was cheap fouls. How stubborn is this coaching staff?
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point do they scrap the press?

Kobe2Lamar wrote:
There's just waaaaay too much fouling and easy points given up when teams break it...

Another Phil failure. The press was leading to easy layup after easy layup. This is a team with 11 wins, Phil was trying to disrupt their rhythm. Very clearly the Cats were taking advantage of the pressure.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject:

why scrap it, when its working?

Obviosuly it doesnt have 100% success rate but thats the risk you take. It beats being last in turnovers like last year.
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject:

This (bleep) pressure cost them again last night. Layup after layup after frikken layup.

Why not stop the gambling and just stay in front of your man and CONTEST shots?
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject:

Kobe2Lamar wrote:
This (bleep) pressure cost them again last night. Layup after layup after frikken layup.

Why not stop the gambling and just stay in front of your man and CONTEST shots?

That would require having players actually capable of playing solid defense.
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject:

I'd rather lose that way than by frontcourt players getting easy layups and being in the penalty early...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: