Kobe is 31, Jordan was 35 when he got 5 - Laker Window

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many years left in this Laker core's Window?
1- Kobe 32 years old
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
2- Kobe 33
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
3- Kobe 34
25%
 25%  [ 15 ]
4- Kobe 35
31%
 31%  [ 19 ]
5- Kobe 36
20%
 20%  [ 12 ]
6- Kobe 37
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 60

Bynum4MVP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Kobe is 31, Jordan was 35 when he got 5 - Laker Window

Kobe is still only 31 years old; it took Jordan until 35 to get his 5th ring.

With barely 30 year olds Pau, Odom, Artest and Bynum signed for at least the next 3 years, how many Championship contending years left do the Lakers have with this core?
Kobewood
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject:

For as long as Kobe and Pau are signed on together. So that's at least 4 years.
LakerFan4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject:

Knowing Kobe's work ethic and just how damn good he is, I think he definitely has got 5 great years left in him.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject:

IF Bynum stays healthy and we can get one promising young guard than I think our window is open for the next 5-7 years...

Remember, the Lakers are historically one of the best teams in all of sports simply because of our good record of stringing one Dynasty from and to another. You don't see droughts when it comes to the Lakers because when one Dynasty begins we already begin to make plans for the next one. Bynum is definatly key, but as for THIS Dynasty the window is open for as long as Kobe and Gasol are together...

Last edited by ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject:

2 years- our team looks exhausted . . .during the season and during the playoffs. I don't they can make it past 2 more. Let's go on a 4 peat though
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject:

But yeah, looking into the future the top contenders in the West will probably be the Thunder, Blazers, and possibly the Mavs.
beaverfever
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
2 years- our team looks exhausted . . .during the season and during the playoffs. I don't they can make it past 2 more. Let's go on a 4 peat though

Cut'm some slack man. They just played game 7 against probably the most physical team in the league. They probably are exhausted. Btw, unless Bynum turns into a beast, I think kobe has 4 years left where he'll play for championships.
tardcarnival
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject:

Good thing the Summer Olympics aren't held this year.
dmlakerfan01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject:

35 as close to peak.

Age will bite his ass, not for a while though.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

3 years

After that, I think Artest is too old and Odom is done. Unless Bynum never gets injured and explodes, we'll have to rebuild.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Kobewood
Star Player
Star Player

ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 wrote:
But yeah, looking into the future the top contenders in the West will probably be the Thunder, Blazers, and possibly the Mavs.

The Lakers just overcame the most adversity a team could possibly face. I think they are more than capable of getting past the Thunder, Blazers, and Mavs. And what about the Nuggets?
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject:

Don't forget Kobe started playing pro ball at 17, and Jordan started around 20. In terms of mileage, kobe's right around 33 or 34, anyway.

That being said, it will now be even more imperative that we maintain a solid cast of athletic, two-way players to surround Kobe. We can't jsut have Kobe and sometimes Lamar as fguys who can create their own shots. Having more two-way guys extends Kobe's career, and jams the window open longer.

MIM
Thebullfrog24
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject:

Honestly the only thing that is going to fade away is his ability to go to the basket at will. but as you saw with jordan when he was 38...he was still scoring over everyone. Kobe will be able to lead this team for another 4 years..and he could play honestly until he was 40 as long as he didn't have to play a "i score everything" position.

With all that said i imagine the latest he'll play is 37
Bynum4MVP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
Don't forget Kobe started playing pro ball at 17, and Jordan started around 20. In terms of mileage, kobe's right around 33 or 34, anyway.

That being said, it will now be even more imperative that we maintain a solid cast of athletic, two-way players to surround Kobe. We can't jsut have Kobe and sometimes Lamar as fguys who can create their own shots. Having more two-way guys extends Kobe's career, and jams the window open longer.

MIM

That's the one thing I've always questioned.

Kobe was playing ball at 17. So was Jordan, although it was in college I doubt Jordan worked any less hard.

And if you look at preps to pros stars, KG played long before Tim Duncan but they have aged at the same rate.

KG, drafted out of high school and in his 14th year at age 34 was probably the best player for the Celtics this 7 game series.

I am not sure how much water the "Kobe has more mileage" argument holds as there is no statistical evidence of this; in fact more evidence points to no difference in the different mileage.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Kobewood wrote:
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 wrote:

The Lakers just overcame the most adversity a team could possibly face. I think they are more than capable of getting past the Thunder, Blazers, and Mavs. And what about the Nuggets?

Me too, you won't get any arguement here...
tripleocho
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject:

35 at best. Kobe is an old 31. he has already logged in as many minutes as MJ when he retired with the bulls the 2nd time.
Jacko
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Did anyone watch game 7?

Yeah Kobe is the best player in the NBA, but it's not Kobe's level of play. It's his engine or what he brings and the amount of attention he draws. He shot like crap and on any other game would have been boo'ed. And yet the team was so talented around him and so great that they kept it close and gave both he and Pau a chance to win.

Keep Phil, Kobe can be in contention for rings for another 3-4 years. Even with his age and decline looming, he'll be there. Look at Fisher. You don't need to play great 82 games a year and every playoff minute. For guys like Kobe and Fisher, they are the vets and leaders. You need them to just be ready in the big moments.

Not to take away from what Kobe does for the team, but I see no reason for this team to lose ground as contenders just because he goes in decline. I think he can maintain this current level for a couple more years and still play at an all-star level until 36 or 37. Got to take the RS lighter though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tripleocho
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject:

i mean it really depends on injury, any major freak injury and your pretty much done for at his age and miles. ala tmac, steve francis, etc.
Supa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject:

A healthy Kobe is still the best player and can be for a couple more years. The problem is he seems to have nagging (not serious) knee problems that slow him down. He probably will have to take it easy in the regular season. No reason he shouldn't play his best ball in the playoffs.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject:

I'd say:

Next 2 years = Kobe mvp level

then the following 2 years = Kobe all star level

then after that = Kobe great player in limited minutes

We can compete for a few more championships with this core, but I'd say within the next two or three years we should try to find a new young player with superstar potential to slowly take on the heavy scoring load and minutes as Kobe ages.
thisiscrazy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject:

As long as this group is healthy they should be competing.

Kobe has already stopped relying on pure athleticism.
He is too fundamentally sound to regress severely over the next 2-3 years or so.

Hopefully next season he can stay healthy and play fewer minutes.

I think it all depends on the team. If they can continue to rise and Kobe can sit for longer stretches then he can be rather devastating for the next 4 years.

A fresh Kobe is a killer on the perimeter no matter what age and a tired Kobe can still be a killer in the post and at the free throw line.
Ray Finkle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject:

My biggest question over the next few years, by far, is how much longer does Phil stick around. The dude is 65 and he won't be coaching forever.
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject:

I know Kobe has been in the league for 14 years but he didn't have his first full season as a starter until the 1999-2000 season. He played very little his rookie year. Was a 6th man in 1998 and only played 50 games in 1999.

Kobe had back to back freak accidents to his finger. I doubt that happens 3 years in a row. I like the fact that Him and Gasol not playing international ball in the summer. I would love for them to not do (bleep) until mid September. 3 straight months of nothingness. Gasol needs to go to Spain and make love to many beautiful Spanish dames and Kobe needs to chill in OC and play with his kids all day long....
goldBLOOD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Age is just number when it comes to Kobe Bryant. He is way more youthful at the age of 31 than Jordan was. Kobe is a very young 31. His 31 = the age of 26. Jordan already started looking old at the age of 31 and as I watched him play I could tell he only had 3 or 4 great years left in him.

Kobe Bryant shows ZERO signs of slowing down at his masked age of 31. He will continue becoming even greater and powerful as he gets older. As long as he keeps his body well conditioned and stays in great shape (I'm sure he will) at his masked ages of 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 and 38 he will still be dominating the game in many ways and winning championships with the Lakers. All we need to do is keep him surrounded with good smart players.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: