Devin Ebanks?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hellsling
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Is he bigger than Ariza because it sure looks like it.
Fleur-de-Lis
Star Player
Star Player

Ariza clone, haha http://media.commercialappeal.com/media/img/photos/2008/05/09/10d1e_t300.jpeg
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

No doubt Kobe will be eager to see just how good this kid is at playing D

!...
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Fleur-de-Lis wrote:
Ariza clone, haha http://media.commercialappeal.com/media/img/photos/2008/05/09/10d1e_t300.jpeg

Thats freaky

!...
akola
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Well he would certainly make a better backup than Walton.
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject:

great pick mitch
akola
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject:

"You Know"
Jacko
Star Player
Star Player

hopefully he will actually get a jump shot a lot earlier than Trevor did.

Trevor didn't get a jump shot until his 4th or 5th yr into the league, but in his 2nd yr of with the Lakers he got a J. Hopefully that was due to the shooting coach of Lakers, and hopefully they can do the same with this kid.

all we need him to do is knock down open shots and play defense, don't necessary need to bring up the ball like LO.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

FloppyDiskz wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
When was the last time the Lakers let a 2nd round draft pick actually get in a game?

Lakers are still in "win now" mentality, remember?

This pick means absolutely nothing.

Luke Walton, Roni Turiaf, Trevor Ariza to name a few. I'm not saying Ebanks will have similar success but sometimes there can be diamonds in the rough.

edit - didnt play for LA but Marc Gasol has shown he belongs in the NBA.

And don't forget, Nick Van Exel.
Fleur-de-Lis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Jacko wrote:

Trevor didn't get a jump shot until his 4th or 5th yr into the league, but in his 2nd yr of with the Lakers he got a J. Hopefully that was due to the shooting coach of Lakers, and hopefully they can do the same with this kid.

all we need him to do is knock down open shots and play defense, don't necessary need to bring up the ball like LO.

Craig Hodges and "The Rifleman" to the rescue.
Lakerhog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject:

I love the pick, this guy was projected as a 1st rounder, plays tenacious D, and is a great rebounder. Sign him up!
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject:

He'll make the squad with his defensive ability. If he can defend at an NBA level, he'll find someone to take a chance on him. The offensive part he will need a lot of work to develop. Hopefully he has the work ethic.
Mr. Zero
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Ebanks: "I think my game is most like Trevor Ariza"
JimmyPage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Love the pick. We needed to replace Ariza's athletic ability and energy off the bench. If the kid gets in the gym and hones his shot (and we've seen a number of players in recent years do that on this team), he will be great off the bench. I definitely think he has an opportunity to stick.

What more can you ask for at #43?
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My Thoughts On Devin Ebanks After Watching Him For Two Years.

kaoss128 wrote:
I attend WVU so I figured I would give my thoughts on Ebanks for everyone since I've seen every college game he has played. Ebanks was a lottery pick 6 or 7 months ago before his stock dropped because he didn't develop offensively as well as scouts thought.

First I'll start off with the Ariza comparisons. They're spot on. I've been using Ariza to describe Ebanks for quite some time now. Both of their measurements are extremely similar. My opinion is he's a poor man's Lamar Odom in Trevor Ariza's body. His game is pretty much the same as Ariza's with some point forward skills. He's a great rebounder and a good passer. He needs to work on his dribbling though. He did play PG at times for WVU even in the closing minutes. He's good in transition like Ariza and can't hit a 3 point shot to save his life. Hopefully Craig Hodges can fix that. He shoots well inside of the arc and does have a decent mid range jumper. He has potential to be able to develop his mid range jumper to the point where he can consistently knock it down.

Now to his defense. I don't think you could find a single player with a defensive resume like Ebanks. He can defend PGs all the way to skinny PFs and has shut down tons of stars at the college game. He always defended the other team's best player and he takes pride in his defense. He shut down Steph Curry when Ebanks was a freshman. He's locked down Terrico White, Scottie Reynolds, Wes Johnson, Evan Turner (He completely shut down Evan Turner in the 2nd half), and Quincy Pondexter. John Wall needed 18 shots to score 19 points and shot 39% against Devin. Also like I said he is a really good rebounder. He led WVU in rebounding in his freshman and sophomore years.

He is an unselfish team player. There were rumors though that he and Bob Huggins didn't get along and they got into arguments during games.

The things Ebanks needs to work on the most is shooting, dribbling, and just getting stronger. He isn't going to be beat someone off the dribble but I could definitely see him in a couple years bringing the ball up the court and initiating the offense like Lamar does.

Okay. Thank you. makes me feel much better.
coopscohen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
He was asked about what he might offer to the team from a defensive standpoint.

“Toughness, my length,” Ebanks responded. “I don’t have a problem guarding the (other team’s) best player. I take defense very seriously and I take it personally.

http://my.lakers.com/blogs/2010/06/24/lakers-select-devin-ebanks-at-no-43/

Last edited by coopscohen on Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject:

If Plaschke doesn't like the pick in another of his stupid articles, then you know it's a great pick.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Ebanks sounds more polished in terms of interview skills than lottery pick DeMarcus Cousins, "I'm just a kid mang, just wanna have fun."

Cosuins has an attitude on him. But, if he keeps his head straight, he's a player. Big if, I know.
Master)v(ind
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Fleur-de-Lis wrote:
Jacko wrote:

Kobe Bryant also wrote a shooting "bible" specifically for Ariza
“A story about Kobe is the first time they went to be fitted for their USA uniforms and Kobe starts crying. The equipment person asks him what happened and Kobe was like, man, you don’t understand, I’ve dreamed of playing for my country."
ssiknick833
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

City_Dawg wrote:
Fleur-de-Lis wrote:

Thats freaky

wow
Jacko
Star Player
Star Player

Fleur-de-Lis wrote:
Jacko wrote:

let's hope so....

they sure didn't rescue Ron Ron's jumper though.....

i give them credit for improving Trevor and Shannon's jumper though.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Tris wrote:
BobbyJ wrote:
Quote:
Kupchak said he spoke to Artest about the kid from his area. Thinks the Queens connection and vets in general help a young player.

http://twitter.com/LakersReporter

Mitch trusts Artest's judgment on talents. That's funny.

General Manager Ron!
Fleur-de-Lis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My Thoughts On Devin Ebanks After Watching Him For Two Years.

kaoss128 wrote:
I attend WVU so I figured I would give my thoughts on Ebanks for everyone since I've seen every college game he has played. Ebanks was a lottery pick 6 or 7 months ago before his stock dropped because he didn't develop offensively as well as scouts thought.

First I'll start off with the Ariza comparisons. They're spot on. I've been using Ariza to describe Ebanks for quite some time now. Both of their measurements are extremely similar. My opinion is he's a poor man's Lamar Odom in Trevor Ariza's body. His game is pretty much the same as Ariza's with some point forward skills. He's a great rebounder and a good passer. He needs to work on his dribbling though. He did play PG at times for WVU even in the closing minutes. He's good in transition like Ariza and can't hit a 3 point shot to save his life. Hopefully Craig Hodges can fix that. He shoots well inside of the arc and does have a decent mid range jumper. He has potential to be able to develop his mid range jumper to the point where he can consistently knock it down.

Now to his defense. I don't think you could find a single player with a defensive resume like Ebanks. He can defend PGs all the way to skinny PFs and has shut down tons of stars at the college game. He always defended the other team's best player and he takes pride in his defense. He shut down Steph Curry when Ebanks was a freshman. He's locked down Terrico White, Scottie Reynolds, Wes Johnson, Evan Turner (He completely shut down Evan Turner in the 2nd half), and Quincy Pondexter. John Wall needed 18 shots to score 19 points and shot 39% against Devin. Also like I said he is a really good rebounder. He led WVU in rebounding in his freshman and sophomore years.

He is an unselfish team player. There were rumors though that he and Bob Huggins didn't get along and they got into arguments during games.

The things Ebanks needs to work on the most is shooting, dribbling, and just getting stronger. He isn't going to be beat someone off the dribble but I could definitely see him in a couple years bringing the ball up the court and initiating the offense like Lamar does.

Spot on.

He was projected between 20 and 30. We got a huge steal
M. Hicks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject:

You get a Trevor Ariza-like player that you can pay about $1.1 million over two years, as opposed to the real thing making something like $6.5 million for 2010-2011 alone.

Good deal.
doven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject:

ssiknick833 wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
Fleur-de-Lis wrote:

Thats freaky

wow
what the hell....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12
Jump to: