Lakers: Ebanks and Caracter Look Like Keepers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Summer League Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terence
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject:

I would have been extremely disappointed with our offseason if it wasnt for our two second round pics that right now look like they should have been taken in the top 20. Ebanks already looks better than Morrison or luke, and Caracter looks better than Powell or Mbenga. I think, at the very least, they will both provide some energy off the bench and be big fan favorites in their rookie years.
gildedgirth
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Brian Shaw was interviewed on NBA TV during today's (and last) Lakers SPL game.

Shaw indicated that Ebanks and Caracter have a good chance at making the roster. Shaw seemed really pleased with both of them, obviously.

As far as DJ Strawberry, he has a chance, but said it's an "outside chance" at making the squad.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Scout's Inc's David Thorpe on Caracter:

Quote:
"I was really impressed. There's not going to be a lot of guys that Derrick's going to play against that are going to be stronger than him or bigger than him, and Cousins is probably both. In that situation, you look for fight. I thought he really fought. Not only do I not think he gave Cousins an inch, I think he took it personally. Like I can play with this guy, I can pound this guy. That was the mentality."

Now, Summer League success isn't something to usually put a lot of faith in, but take note: Thorpe did this interview after Caracter matched up against the Sacramento's Kings' #5 overall pick DeMarcus Cousins. Our more casual NBA fans probably know him better as top pick John Wall's Kentucky teammate, but make no mistake, Cousins can play. He's expected to be a impact rookie, and it's very encouraging to hear that Caracter is showing first-round talent.

Quote:
"The guy clearly should have been a first-round pick. A bunch of teams messed up. There’s really no other way of saying it. They couldn’t [look past his history]. And that’s their fault. The league is filled with players that have made bad decisions in their lives, or will make that bad decision while they’re in the NBA. In some respects I actually felt Derrick was less of a risk as a draft pick in the 20’s because he’s already gone through it and come out looking great."

LINK

Tris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject:

gildedgirth wrote:
Brian Shaw was interviewed on NBA TV during today's (and last) Lakers SPL game.

Shaw indicated that Ebanks and Caracter have a good chance at making the roster. Shaw seemed really pleased with both of them, obviously.

As far as DJ Strawberry, he has a chance, but said it's an "outside chance" at making the squad.

I think after that streak of ballhog, I doubt he has an outside chance of making anything.
ABynum17
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Caracter looks like he has SF skills, in a PF body, which is a very good thing. Certainly, it's a lot better than the reverse. A small with only big skills would be useless in the league, but if it's the reverse, then it's actually a small advantage over a big with big skill, I believe. Wouldn't be surprised if he becomes our 2nd best playmaker, in a couple of years.

I think a lineup of Pau, Caracter and Odom can definitely work.

Last edited by ABynum17 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
i'm curious, since when was 6'9 undersized for a PF?

The standard PF is 6' 11''. 6' 9'' is undersized.
ABynum17
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Tris wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

There is no standard. Obviously, the taller you are, the more you weigh, and the more athletic you are, then your potential to play defense is greater.

If not, then it just comes down to whether you can make an impact or not.
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Tall PFs Pau, Bosh, Dirk, Amare, KG, and of course Timmy
Smaller PFs Boozer, Josh S, Landry

If your smaller, you've got to be quicker, stronger or have a good J to make an impact against the longer PFs. If you don't have those skills, off to the bench, D-league or europe.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Tris wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

A lot of centers in the league aren't 6-11. 6-9/6-10 is perfectly adequate, especially if you have a good standing reach.
Tris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"Both Derrick and Devin showed some good things in the summer league," said Lakers summer league coach Chuck Person, who will move from special assistant to an assistant position with the team this season. "Caracter can post up and shot some from the outside. He's undersized, but can play some [center and power forward], sort of like Glen Davis and Carl Landry."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-summer-league-20100716,0,7941453.story

Quote:
Caracter is listed at 6-9, 270 pounds but looks closer to 6-8.

Caracter is indeed undersized.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Tris wrote:
Quote:
"Both Derrick and Devin showed some good things in the summer league," said Lakers summer league coach Chuck Person, who will move from special assistant to an assistant position with the team this season. "Caracter can post up and shot some from the outside. He's undersized, but can play some [center and power forward], sort of like Glen Davis and Carl Landry."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-summer-league-20100716,0,7941453.story

Quote:

For a 5.
LakersFanKB#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject:

I thought Caracter was almost 6'10" without shoes, but maybe I am mistaken
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject:

the lakers in particular like long players - lamar is a long 6'10" - pau is 7' at the 4

caracter is really 6'8" ish maybe barely 6'9" in shoes.
pd23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Height w/o Shoes
6' 8.25"
Height w/shoes
6' 9.5"

Quote:
Derrick Caracter moves the way very few big men can. Extremely fluid and nimble with superb body control. Body looks great. Excellent hands.
2010-07-12 15:42:09

Quote:
Derrick Caracter is looking absolutely fantastic. Every European GM in the building has a huge hard on for him right now.
2010-07-12 15:38:05

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/derrick-caracter-233/profile/derrick-caracter-233/tweets/
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Tris wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

For a 5.

Exactly. Caracter is not undersized as a PF. Even with the size advantage, Caracter held Demarcus Cousins to 40% shooting.

Besides, we don't need anymore 7 footers. We have Pau and Bynum. What we needed was bulk and he brings that with some very good talent attached.

It is pretty ironic, but if Ebanks and Caracter keep working hard, the year that we didn't have a 1st round pick we may have actually walked away with 2 first round talents.
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject:

Ebanks - Ariza (Obviously. Not only physically, but what he brings to a team, his SPL numbers pretty much mirror that of Trevor's.)

Caracter - Brand (many on LG compare him more to Randolph, but DC doesn't have as good 20ft range, plus he's got more defensive awareness like Brand. Perhaps including his old character make people compare him to Randolph.)
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject:

ABynum17 wrote:
Caracter looks like he has SF skills, in a PF body, which is a very good thing. Certainly, it's a lot better than the reverse. A small with only big skills would be useless in the league, but if it's the reverse, then it's actually a small advantage over a big with big skill, I believe. Wouldn't be surprised if he becomes our 2nd best playmaker, in a couple of years.

I think a lineup of Pau, Caracter and Odom can definitely work.

I think an even better lineup is Bynum./Pau/Caracter. Caracter has the strength and agility give Lebron nightmares. Think David West with more skills.
ABynum17
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Caracter on Lebron? It's something I pondered, and realized that he'd get killed on the screens.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject:

ABynum17 wrote:
Caracter on Lebron? It's something I pondered, and realized that he'd get killed on the screens.

cx44
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
babyskyhook - possible - but i don't think he's got much chance to make the team

cx44 - teams can sign second round picks to 2-year deals at the min - to go longer than 2 years - a franchise would have to either use cap room or the mid-level exception.

Thanks
Tris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject:

ABynum17 wrote:

10 fouls in 1 min. Guarantee.
hate*laker*haters
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
ABynum17 wrote:
yea that and just about everything else possible on the basketball court
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject:

Caracter may have impressed more in the SPL by staying toe to toe with lottery picks (Cousins) and doing some other very impressive stuff - but reality is I don't think Phil Jackson values guys like him too much.

Caracter will get a chance - perhaps Powell minutes. But two things. 1- We need to sign him on a 2 year deal and 2- Asssuming he doesn't repeat what he did in Louisville give him that 2nd year even if doesn't give you more than 5/3 as a rookie.

Caracter needs minutes and he also needs time to catch up to the NBA speed.

I think EBanks is far more NBA ready and far more likely to get or break into Phil's rotation. EBanks is just solid player. He doesn't have the jumpshot yet (although he was hitting them in some games) so that will hurt him. His style fits into LA's plans and what Phil values.

Length + Solid skills + Role player mindset = Lakers will give you a chance to play.

Caracter's lack of length/height works against him. We'll use him probably in situations where they have to match up with a Carl Landry or guys who like to play like that at PF/C, maybe even Glen Davis. So in that sense he further increases the versatility on this team's already insane big man talent. But realistically we shouldn't expect more than a few big games and a few games where he gets minutes this coming season.

All that said - if he works hard, listens to the coaches and gets the chance (which he should if he does the other things look at Sasha he sucks and they still give him a chance because he does the other things) - I can see this guy become a Big Baby type of role player for this team within a year. In the longrun if it lasts (work ethic, focus two things he hasn't always had) he can become a Carlos Boozer type of guy for a team without the playmaking/passing.

My predictions for Caracter's standing in the league within a few years.

Upside - Carlos Boozer/Zach Randolph
Middle/Most realistic - Big Baby
Downside - Craig Smith/Out of the NBA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Futuristic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject:

Fleur-de-Lis wrote:
^ Strawberry is utter garbage. Look at his numbers and percentages and his history in the NBA.

Caracter and Ebanks are legitimate NBA players.

How could they be legitimate NBA players when they have yet to play a single game in the NBA?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Caracter may have impressed more in the SPL by staying toe to toe with lottery picks (Cousins) and doing some other very impressive stuff - but reality is I don't think Phil Jackson values guys like him too much.

Caracter will get a chance - perhaps Powell minutes. But two things. 1- We need to sign him on a 2 year deal and 2- Asssuming he doesn't repeat what he did in Louisville give him that 2nd year even if doesn't give you more than 5/3 as a rookie.

Caracter needs minutes and he also needs time to catch up to the NBA speed.

I think EBanks is far more NBA ready and far more likely to get or break into Phil's rotation. EBanks is just solid player. He doesn't have the jumpshot yet (although he was hitting them in some games) so that will hurt him. His style fits into LA's plans and what Phil values.

Length + Solid skills + Role player mindset = Lakers will give you a chance to play.

Caracter's lack of length/height works against him. We'll use him probably in situations where they have to match up with a Carl Landry or guys who like to play like that at PF/C, maybe even Glen Davis. So in that sense he further increases the versatility on this team's already insane big man talent. But realistically we shouldn't expect more than a few big games and a few games where he gets minutes this coming season.

All that said - if he works hard, listens to the coaches and gets the chance (which he should if he does the other things look at Sasha he sucks and they still give him a chance because he does the other things) - I can see this guy become a Big Baby type of role player for this team within a year. In the longrun if it lasts (work ethic, focus two things he hasn't always had) he can become a Carlos Boozer type of guy for a team without the playmaking/passing.

My predictions for Caracter's standing in the league within a few years.

Upside - Carlos Boozer/Zach Randolph
Middle/Most realistic - Big Baby
Downside - Craig Smith/Out of the NBA.

Wolf,

Would you say Ebanks will be ready to give us rotation minutes this yr? Does his presence make Mitch want to go after a SG type rather than a SF type? I like Ebanks too but I don't know that Phil wants to play a rookie.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Summer League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: