Grade for signing Theo Ratliff?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What grade would you give Mitch for signing Theo Ratliff?
A
30%
 30%  [ 50 ]
B
50%
 50%  [ 84 ]
C
13%
 13%  [ 22 ]
D
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
F
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 165

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Grade for signing Theo Ratliff?

What grade would you give Mitch for signing Theo Ratliff?

For me personally I would give it a C. I was pretty surprised to hear he signed with the Lakers. It caught me off guard. I am not crazy about the signing but I don't hate it either. He is no spring chicken. Theo will be 38 years old by playoff time. That being said he brings alot of veteran experience to the team and hunger seeking his first nba championship.
lalakeshow88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject:

he's a 3rd string center who brings exactly what DJ brought + some. What more could one ask for?
kbCOLDblooded
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject:

i'm excited about this signing.. he's a good locker room guy, and he's really happy to be here. he knows his role, defense amd shot blocking. also looks like he's still got sumthin left in the tank, esp with all those minerals.

Grade: A?

Last edited by kbCOLDblooded on Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
thurloly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject:

For the money, B

Haven't you see tons of teams are now overpaid scrubs or not so good players? For vet min and short term deal, that is all you can get in this league these day.

Hellll, even Mbenga demands more money, doesn't he?

Lots of old player that can still perform well: Nash, Kids, etc..

As long as he is effective in limited minutes, we will be great.

Btw, I think we get Barner is also a steal.

Last edited by thurloly on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject:

lalakeshow88 wrote:
he's a 3rd string center who brings exactly what DJ brought + some. What more could one ask for?

DJ was 10 years younger then Theo. I was just hoping for a younger back up Center. Especially for practice sessions.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject:

A. I don't see any real downside here. He gets the minimum and provides a veteran defensive presence at the center position where we needed some depth. Also, he can definitely help Bynum's development in practice.
Aces25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject:

How old is he? Must be 40+
Mr. Zero
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Hes a guy im comftorable with having on the floor for 20+ mpg. Grabs boards and blocks shot with tough D and high bball IQ.
Tris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Didn't caught me at all. I post on the trade forum about acquiring Theo when the Kurt Thomas rumor broke.

My reason: Bynum has been practice with Pau and Mbenga for how many years? I believe Bynum got too used to them. There's no challenge anymore. With Theo, a defensive shot blocker, Bynum can't just waltz his way into the basket. Now, he will have to devise a new offensive scheme to shoot the ball. Perhaps learning a hook shot. Theo is a great acquisition.
Kobewood
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject:

It really didn't matter who they signed. They just needed a big guy with a defensive presence who can rebound the ball and block shots. Plus, Theo can play quality minutes if needed. Since this is an improvement over Mbenga, I'll give an A to Mitch.

Thank you Kobe for giving 20 years of yourself to the Purple and Gold. We are forever indebted to your greatness.

#WIN4VIN
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject:

We want Dacos!!

We want Dacos!!
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject:

I love this signing and I give it an A. It's not like he is being asked to start and play 30-40 minutes. He just needs to come off the bench, block some shots and play some defense. He did that last year. Also, he is better than MBenga.

I can't wait to see how good the defense is going to be next season.

Last edited by Steve007 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Theo is known for being a shot blocker so I can picture him igniting the crowd at Staples with some timely blocked shots when he gets in the game. Similar to what DJ did.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather have Theo than Shaq.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject:

i just hope phil plays him. every once in awhile we play soft basketball and let guards get into the lane and they get layup after layup

i hope if that happens again(and it will), that phil plays ratliff so he can block some shots and protect the rim
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject:

lalakeshow88 wrote:

Well what I was asking for was more of a physical presence. Kurt Thomas would have been a better player considering he can hit an outside shot but if all we wanted was shotblocker why not just keep Gbenga?
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
I love this signing and I give it an A. It's not like he is being asked to start and play 30-40 minutes. He just needs to come off the bench, block some shots and play some defense. He did that last year. Also, he is better than MBenga.

I can't wait to see how good the defense is going to be next season.

+1.
despite his age i'm quite comfortable w/ the signing since he's still giving good minutes w/ the bobcats last season.
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject:

-We got him for the vet min
-He's 37 but doesn't have that high of mileage
-Still has hops (check highlight vids)
-Still plays good D and brings blocking
-Only need him for 10-15 good minutes
-Healthy

How is this not an A?

Sage_10 wrote:
lalakeshow88 wrote:

Well what I was asking for was more of a physical presence. Kurt Thomas would have been a better player considering he can hit an outside shot but if all we wanted was shotblocker why not just keep Gbenga?

You think there was a reason Phil and Mitch didn't keep Mbenga? He's a foul machine, goes for every block. Makes some nice highlight plays but he doesn't have a high BBall IQ as Ratliff does. Stop fooling yourself.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject:

I'll give it a B. The best cheap big was Juwan Howard, which is why Riley snappend him up so damn fast. I am a little curious why they went with Rat and not Kurt Thomas... though all three play center, Rat seems to have the most length. I suspect they wanted someone who was closer to a true 5 rather than 4/5s as they plan on developing Caracter.
Caught in the devil's bargain
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden

-Joni Mitchell
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I'll give it a B. The best cheap big was Juwan Howard, which is why Riley snappend him up so damn fast. I am a little curious why they went with Rat and not Kurt Thomas...though all three play center, Rat seems to have the most length. I suspect they wanted someone who was closer to a true 5 rather than 4/5s as they plan on developing Caracter.

I suspect ...
Laker's Fan wrote:
SG/SF perimeter defense:
-Artest, Bryant, & Barnes. Ebanks may also ramp up with pro coaching.

All three are good man defenders. Bryant and Barnes close out well and Artest can handle the beefier SFs. Very good mix of defensive talent. Jackson may even consider playing all three together and switch everything if the PnR defense is getting shredded.

PF/C Defense
-3 Anchor-like bigs: Bynum, Gasol, & Ratliff
-2 Mobile bigs: Odom, & Caracter

No DPOY candidate, but good rebounding and versitile defensive talent; good size and sufficient shot blocking. Hopefully Ratliff can teach the other bigs about rotation (like Payton did for Bryant and defensive angles).

PG / Quick Guard Defense
Neither Blake or Fisher are equiped to slow down the waterbugs. Blake has a better shot than Fisher and both are good team defenders, Fisher moreso in the playoffs than regular season.

The 8 man rotation will be Fisher, Bryant, Artest, Gasol, Bynum, Blake, Odom, & Barnes. Teams rarely go deeper than 10 and one of those remaining spots will be time split between Caracacter and Ratliff (if not one vs other.) That leaves some time available in the Guard role, with a premium on slowing down speed. Neither Walton nor Vujacic have that in their skillset. I'm sure Kupchak is trying to move Vujacic, to a team that will afford him more PT, while returning a guard that fills that skillset hole and hopefully reduces payroll.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:13 pm; edited 7 times in total
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I'll give it a B. The best cheap big was Juwan Howard, which is why Riley snappend him up so damn fast. I am a little curious why they went with Rat and not Kurt Thomas... though all three play center, Rat seems to have the most length. I suspect they wanted someone who was closer to a true 5 rather than 4/5s as they plan on developing Caracter.

Ratliff gives us a much better defensive presence in case Bynum goes down. Gasol and Odom already have the PF position locked and Caracter could get minutes too. Kurt Thomas gives us more offense and solid man-2-man D as well, but I like the interior presence Ratliff brings. He's a lot more intimidating than Thomas.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject:

A.

the lakers made a good recognition that shot blocking was what they needed most from an insurance big with this new miami team being formed, and once you identify that, you're at the mercy of who's willing to take a vet min offer - of which ratliff was the best option.

of all vet min bigs around the league outside of ilgauskas who doesn't really count, and howard who we had no shot at once miami became a contender - ratliff would have been my first choice, which makes this an A.
johnnow
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject:

BobbyJ, you give it a C? What do you want with a limited budget? You want to drive a Porcshe with a honda budget ?

Why don't we just sign D Howard and CP3 since we are dreaming too.

john
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject:

I would have preferred Kwame. If we meet up with Orlando or Boston, Kwame provides a lot more heft to keep Perkins or Howard off balance. He still sets the best picks in the NBA and that always gave Kobe a little more time to get his shot off.
JimmyPage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Defense, a little shot blocking...that's about what I was looking for out of the vet min for a 3rd string center. It doesn't matter to me that he's 38. He's going to log like 15 minutes a game at most unless there's an injury. He can still bring it defensively in those 15 minutes.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: