Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject:

The Simpsons (first 10 seasons)
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject:

The Wire.

Dexter and Breaking Bad are brilliant though. Dexter, however, I don't think can ever pass The Wire in my eyes while Breaking Bad has a chance. Seinfeld and Curb are right up there as well but The Wire trumps them both.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject:

1. The Wire
2. The Simpsons
3. Lost
4. Seinfeld
5. Louie

Honorable Mentions: Curb Your Enthusiasm, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Breaking Bad, Spaced.

Last edited by Christopher C on Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jamesikan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject:

#1: M*A*S*H
#2: Star Trek: The Next Generation
#3: Numb3rs
LuxuryBr0wn
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject:

The Jeffersons
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
The Wire.

Dexter and Breaking Bad are brilliant though. Dexter, however, I don't think can ever pass The Wire in my eyes while Breaking Bad has a chance. Seinfeld and Curb are right up there as well but The Wire trumps them both.

There are a ton of shows better than breaking bad and dexter. The Sopranos, Carnivale, Seinfeld, Mash, Cheers, NYPD Blue, Curb, Treme... I could go on and on. Dexter's first season was great, but it has subsequently become quality entertainment, but neither great nor groundbreaking. BB has no chance whatsoever of passing the Wire, which was peerlessly great from day one and actually got better. Just my .02...
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
The Wire.

There are a ton of shows better than breaking bad and dexter. The Sopranos, Carnivale, Seinfeld, Mash, Cheers, NYPD Blue, Curb, Treme... I could go on and on. Dexter's first season was great, but it has subsequently become quality entertainment, but neither great nor groundbreaking. BB has no chance whatsoever of passing the Wire, which was peerlessly great from day one and actually got better. Just my .02...

I agree on Dexter. That's why I feel it can't ever pass it; after the first season, it steadily went downhill, with characters like Lila and Miguel ruining the show. Never watched the Sopranos or Carnivale so I can't comment, but I'm a Seinfeld freak along with Curb and I loved Cheers.

Breaking Bad has been consistently great and its third season was just marvelous. I feel that, while the Wire is easily the best show as of today, if the Breaking Bad writers continue on their current path then that show has potential to be very, very great. Considering it is on AMC and not a premium cable network like the Wire was makes me appreciate the show more as the writers are a tad more boxed in.

By the way I never meant to say that BB and Dexter were some of the greatest shows ever just that they were of high quality. Even with its shortcomings in seasons 2 and 3, I'm happy with the way Dexter is heading after its 4th season. The show became much better once it started to explore some of the consequences of his action. Too often Dexter is able to get out of his trouble quite easily; even in the second season no one truly suspected Dex except Doakes and no one really took him seriously. It is going to be interesting to see what he does now.

Why do I write so much? Didn't intend for it to be this long, my b...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Nothing touches The Wire imo.

Treme is getting close in my book.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LALdynasty!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject:

I've never seen The Wire, but I guess I should start. What channel is it on?
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject:

LALdynasty! wrote:

It was on HBO, but no longer. if you have DirectTV, they play one episode every sunday on the 101 network. They are on season 1 episode 3 so it is kind of (bleep) to wait that long for all 60 episodes. I would suggest DL'ing it or renting/buying the DVD's. it is worth it either way.
LALdynasty!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
LALdynasty! wrote:

It was on HBO, but no longer. if you have DirectTV, they play one episode every sunday on the 101 network. They are on season 1 episode 3 so it is kind of (bleep) to wait that long for all 60 episodes. I would suggest DL'ing it or renting/buying the DVD's. it is worth it either way.

Thanks.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject:

1. 24
2. Dexter
3. Lost
4. The Unit
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject:

For the record, season 4 of the Wire has a 98% rating at metacritic, the highest in history for any season of any show. And it may not even be the best season of the Wire...
LALdynasty!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject:

It probably doesnt belong on any top list or anything, but I loved the show Prison Break. Watched the whole thing through in a couple weeks. I couldnt stop watching it.
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject:

For me... it's the Sopranos and its not close!
I can watch that show everyday for the rest of my life.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
For the record, season 4 of the Wire has a 98% rating at metacritic, the highest in history for any season of any show. And it may not even be the best season of the Wire...

I'd like to know which morons gave Season 4 a negative review that got it down from 100%.
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

I've yet to watch the wire, but you guys have talked me into it. I'm bout to buy them all on itunes.
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject:

TNLakersFanInLA wrote:
24 wrote:

I've yet to watch the wire, but you guys have talked me into it. I'm bout to buy them all on itunes.

You wont be sorry. If you're like most people, you'll watch the first couple of episodes, and like them, but wonder what all the hype is. A few more, and you'll realize you're addicted. A few more, and you'll be in love...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
If you're like most people, you'll watch the first couple of episodes, and like them, but wonder what all the hype is..

I was hooked from the very first scene on the steps of the brownstone where McNulty is taking to the guy about Snot Boogie and what a weasel he was. When McNulty asks him why the continued to let him play dice, the kid says "This is Ameica man . . ."

I knew I was going to love the show from that moment.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
24 wrote:
If you're like most people, you'll watch the first couple of episodes, and like them, but wonder what all the hype is..

I was hooked from the very first scene on the steps of the brownstone where McNulty is taking to the guy about Snot Boogie and what a weasel he was. When McNulty asks him why the continued to let him play dice, the kid says "This is Ameica man . . ."

They are all downloading from iTunes. I'll watch it the entire weekend!
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject:

Does The Wire nearly jumped the shark with Season 5? (Spoiler Alert) I thought the fake serial killer plot drug on.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject:

Comedy:

1. Simpsons
2. Cheers
3. Seinfeld
4. Curb
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Does The Wire nearly jumped the shark with Season 5? (Spoiler Alert) I thought the fake serial killer plot drug on.

I didn't think so.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

I didn't think so.

I don't either. The entire story is a gradual interweaving of all of the elements of a city. Each season adds a new layer. They are: the drug trade (primarily in the west portion of the city) vs. the cops in season 1, the docks in season 2, the pols in season 3, the schools in season 4, and the media (particularly the newspaper) in season 5.

Season 5 has the unenviable task of adding this layer as well as wrapping up the whole story. And McNulty has always been the central metaphor or avatar, if you will, for the entire story. His inner struggles mirror the greater societal ones. He is the heart in much the same way that Omar Little is the soul (interesting that the city's heart continues to beat but its soul dies, but that's another can of worms). His creation of the serial killer, along with his return to alcohol, and to the inevitable political problems of major crimes mirror the continuing struggle of the greater entity. The way he uses the newspaper, and elements of it his "creation", are quite organic to what Burns and Simon are trying to tell us IMO, and are not some cheap plot stunt.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject:

TNLakersFanInLA wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
24 wrote:

They are all downloading from iTunes. I'll watch it the entire weekend!

.enjoy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: