Lorenzen Wright Found Dead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/jul/31/wrights-mother-slams-gtown-police/

Quote:
The mother of murdered former NBA player Lorenzen Wright lashed out Friday at Germantown police for the handling of a 911 call that came in from his cell phone the night he died.

"They did drop the ball," said Deborah Marion. "How do you call 911 and hear shots and nobody reacts?

"You know, when my grandkids one time was playing on the phone and they called 911, three police showed up at my house. I'm like, 'What are y'all looking for?' They said, 'Well, we've got a 911 hang-up over here.'

"How do three police show up for a 911 hang-up, but nobody does anything when you have a 911 and shots? Somebody's got to answer for this. I want somebody prosecuted because this is not right."

Germantown police have begun an administrative review to sort out how the call was handled and compare those actions to departmental procedures. Officials took statements Friday from dispatchers on duty during the early morning hours of July 19.

Sources have told The Commercial Appeal that as many as a dozen gunshots can be heard on a recording of a call that came in from a cell phone in Wright's possession that night. A male voice can be heard uttering an expletive on the call and then rapid gunfire.

For more than a week, according to sources, suburban police did not make the connection between the 911 call and Wright's disappearance.

According to a missing person's report filed by Wright's mother, he was last seen leaving his former wife's house in Collierville on Whisperingwood Drive in the early morning hours of July 19.

On July 22, Wright's family reported him missing to Collierville police. For days, officials there said they did not believe "foul play" was involved.

The newspaper hasn't been able to determine who owned the cell phone and, as a result, how it registered at the 911 center. The dispatcher called the number back, but no one answered.

"We're just looking at how that call was processed," said Deputy Chief Rodney Bright of the Germantown Police Department.

"The bottom line is we want to look at that internally, but externally we want to do everything we can to support MPD in finding who is responsible for the homicide. That's the most important thing right now."

The 911 recording itself has been turned over to the Memphis Police Department as evidence in a criminal investigation. MPD officials confirmed Wright's cause of death as homicide by gunshot wound.

A cadaver dog found Wright's remains nine days after he went missing atop a small hill just short of a wooded area near Hack Cross and Winchester roads. His body was initially hidden from view by thick brush.

Memphis Police Director Larry Godwin said Friday investigators prefer to secure a crime scene as soon as possible to preserve evidence.

"The longer you wait, the more chances just through natural causes that the evidence could be affected," he said, though he has no indication that evidence was lost in this case.

Homicide detectives recovered evidence from the scene, but Godwin declined to give details. He expects a briefing from investigators Monday.

Curious onlookers and fans milled Friday afternoon near what was the crime scene.

A pizza delivery man slowed down to look at the news cameras. A pest control worker parked his truck and walked back with a half dozen strangers to look at the spot where a hometown hero fell. One woman brought her grade-school-aged son to look at the black outline where Wright's body had been.

Wright's mother was at home, sifting through boxes of old photos of her son with relatives. She had tried a day earlier to visit the site herself, but a detective warned her she might not want to go. At first she insisted she needed to walk her son's last steps.

Halfway across the field, she couldn't go any farther.

"I got weak," she said. "I got nervous when he was telling me there was a gruesome scene."

She might try again another day.
L.A.T.W
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/jul/31/wrights-mother-slams-gtown-police/

Quote:
The mother of murdered former NBA player Lorenzen Wright lashed out Friday at Germantown police for the handling of a 911 call that came in from his cell phone the night he died.

"They did drop the ball," said Deborah Marion. "How do you call 911 and hear shots and nobody reacts?

"You know, when my grandkids one time was playing on the phone and they called 911, three police showed up at my house. I'm like, 'What are y'all looking for?' They said, 'Well, we've got a 911 hang-up over here.'

"How do three police show up for a 911 hang-up, but nobody does anything when you have a 911 and shots? Somebody's got to answer for this. I want somebody prosecuted because this is not right."

Germantown police have begun an administrative review to sort out how the call was handled and compare those actions to departmental procedures. Officials took statements Friday from dispatchers on duty during the early morning hours of July 19.

Sources have told The Commercial Appeal that as many as a dozen gunshots can be heard on a recording of a call that came in from a cell phone in Wright's possession that night. A male voice can be heard uttering an expletive on the call and then rapid gunfire.

For more than a week, according to sources, suburban police did not make the connection between the 911 call and Wright's disappearance.

According to a missing person's report filed by Wright's mother, he was last seen leaving his former wife's house in Collierville on Whisperingwood Drive in the early morning hours of July 19.

On July 22, Wright's family reported him missing to Collierville police. For days, officials there said they did not believe "foul play" was involved.

The newspaper hasn't been able to determine who owned the cell phone and, as a result, how it registered at the 911 center. The dispatcher called the number back, but no one answered.

"We're just looking at how that call was processed," said Deputy Chief Rodney Bright of the Germantown Police Department.

"The bottom line is we want to look at that internally, but externally we want to do everything we can to support MPD in finding who is responsible for the homicide. That's the most important thing right now."

The 911 recording itself has been turned over to the Memphis Police Department as evidence in a criminal investigation. MPD officials confirmed Wright's cause of death as homicide by gunshot wound.

A cadaver dog found Wright's remains nine days after he went missing atop a small hill just short of a wooded area near Hack Cross and Winchester roads. His body was initially hidden from view by thick brush.

Memphis Police Director Larry Godwin said Friday investigators prefer to secure a crime scene as soon as possible to preserve evidence.

"The longer you wait, the more chances just through natural causes that the evidence could be affected," he said, though he has no indication that evidence was lost in this case.

Homicide detectives recovered evidence from the scene, but Godwin declined to give details. He expects a briefing from investigators Monday.

Curious onlookers and fans milled Friday afternoon near what was the crime scene.

A pizza delivery man slowed down to look at the news cameras. A pest control worker parked his truck and walked back with a half dozen strangers to look at the spot where a hometown hero fell. One woman brought her grade-school-aged son to look at the black outline where Wright's body had been.

Wright's mother was at home, sifting through boxes of old photos of her son with relatives. She had tried a day earlier to visit the site herself, but a detective warned her she might not want to go. At first she insisted she needed to walk her son's last steps.

Halfway across the field, she couldn't go any farther.

"I got weak," she said. "I got nervous when he was telling me there was a gruesome scene."

She might try again another day.

That is such a sad ending to the life of a man who did so much for the youth, in the City of Memphis. R.I.P
Crossover
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Wright

Just really sad story. Hope they catch those dudes.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject:

Its being heavily rumored that in the next few days his ex-wife, her brother, and her boyfriend will be charged for the murder of Lorenzen Wright.

I'm hearing it too much to not think its possible.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Its being heavily rumored that in the next few days his ex-wife, her brother, and her boyfriend will be charged for the murder of Lorenzen Wright.

I'm hearing it too much to not think its possible.

where did u hear that?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject:

She's been arrested

http://www.memphisrap.com/index.php?t=article&m=1030

Quote:
Lorenzen Wright's Wife Sherra Arrested In Connection To His Murder
published: 08/01/10 22:00:15
by: Sports Junkie
View Sports Junkie's blog posts

After free agent NBA player Lorenzen Wright was reported missing, it seemed to a lot of people including his mother that something didn't seem right.

On July 19, that would be the last day anyone would see Lorenzen Wright, 34, alive, who was later reported missing on July 22nd by his mother, as covered on MemphisRap.com on last week.

Although the public wouldn't know until later, 911 dispatchers received a phone call from Lorenzen Wright's cell phone and about 10 gun shots where heard and a man speaking expletives, as reported on HipHopRX.com.

Almost 10 days later, Lorenzen Wright's body was discovered in a wooded area near the Fieldstone Apartments off Hacks Cross revealing the whereabouts of his body.

His wife Sherra Wright, 39, later came and told authorities that men came to her home looking for Lorenzen Wright and guns could be visibly seen. To bring even more to the story, according to ABC 24, Sherra Wright's neighbors reported to authorities that soon after Lorenzen Wright was reported missing, a huge fire from a grill could be seen burning and it was unusual since it was on one of the hottest nights of the year.

On Sunday, authorities spent the day searching through Sherra Wright's possessions including the grill that is believed to may have been used to hide evidence.

According to Sherra Wright's attorney Gail Mathes, her client had no reason to want Lorenzen Wright dead because she needed him for support.

In related news, Internet users are speaking amongst themselves alleging that Sherra Wright confessed to the murder.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
She's been arrested

http://www.memphisrap.com/index.php?t=article&m=1030

Quote:
Lorenzen Wright's Wife Sherra Arrested In Connection To His Murder
published: 08/01/10 22:00:15
by: Sports Junkie
View Sports Junkie's blog posts

After free agent NBA player Lorenzen Wright was reported missing, it seemed to a lot of people including his mother that something didn't seem right.

On July 19, that would be the last day anyone would see Lorenzen Wright, 34, alive, who was later reported missing on July 22nd by his mother, as covered on MemphisRap.com on last week.

Although the public wouldn't know until later, 911 dispatchers received a phone call from Lorenzen Wright's cell phone and about 10 gun shots where heard and a man speaking expletives, as reported on HipHopRX.com.

Almost 10 days later, Lorenzen Wright's body was discovered in a wooded area near the Fieldstone Apartments off Hacks Cross revealing the whereabouts of his body.

His wife Sherra Wright, 39, later came and told authorities that men came to her home looking for Lorenzen Wright and guns could be visibly seen. To bring even more to the story, according to ABC 24, Sherra Wright's neighbors reported to authorities that soon after Lorenzen Wright was reported missing, a huge fire from a grill could be seen burning and it was unusual since it was on one of the hottest nights of the year.

On Sunday, authorities spent the day searching through Sherra Wright's possessions including the grill that is believed to may have been used to hide evidence.

According to Sherra Wright's attorney Gail Mathes, her client had no reason to want Lorenzen Wright dead because she needed him for support.

In related news, Internet users are speaking amongst themselves alleging that Sherra Wright confessed to the murder.

DAMN!!!! Why???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Well as I stated earlier its been rumored heavily that his ex-wife is in some shady dealings(drugs) along with her boyfriend. Lorenzen got wind of it and was suing for custody of the kids. Apparently some say he didn't have financial problems but he was getting rid of his cars etc so he could have $$$ for the future and wanted to make sure his ex-wife would never have access to it in case anything were to happen to him.

Have to say with the way people in Memphis are taking his death she better hope nobody kills her first.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject:

She hasn't been arrested yet. The title of the article is a little misleading.
Chewrockan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Well as I stated earlier its been rumored heavily that his ex-wife is in some shady dealings(drugs) along with her boyfriend. Lorenzen got wind of it and was suing for custody of the kids. Apparently some say he didn't have financial problems but he was getting rid of his cars etc so he could have $$$ for the future and wanted to make sure his ex-wife would never have access to it in case anything were to happen to him.

Have to say with the way people in Memphis are taking his death she better hope nobody kills her first.

It would be hard to blame them if all of this i true.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject:

goodness gracious....what in the world is happening here.....
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject:

How very sad for his kids if this turns out to be true.

Basically losing both parents...
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject:

Well a few things do stand out in my mind:

1) Lo Wright was taking a favorite short-cut through a relatively deserted area to his home. Assuming he wasn't being followed by armed men earlier, they knew where to wait for him. Like any father visiting his kids, I'm sure he coordinated the time he was dropping by with his ex-wife.

2) The ex had a very strange tale about the three armed men. Even if she was afraid of contacting the authorities (under the pretense of protecting the kids), why wouldn't she warn Lo Wright his life was in danger, or not have him come by the house as it would imperil the safety of the children? Three armed men who knew where he lived and had threatened her and the kids... and now you're going to let their target pay you a housecall? No, this does not add up.

3) Three armed men, all of them carrying guns in waistbands... not one with a waistband, one with a shoulder holster, one with a gun pulled in tight with his belt... but all with waistbands. All of them show either show off their weapons (rookie move, who needs to do time if something happens later) or carry them unconcealed in broad daylight. That is a scene from a Quentin Tarantino movie, not real life.
Caught in the devil's bargain
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden

-Joni Mitchell
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject:

Wow the wife?!?!
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
How very sad for his kids if this turns out to be true.

Basically losing both parents...

Add that to the baby who died very young.

This is just so Bison-Dele-Case-esque that is hard to believe.

The whole scam plan looks so damn stupid, one wonders if Lorenzen even knew his family well...
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject:

All of my @$$ hole comments,.........I take it back.

Can't trust the baby's momma.
I Love LA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

1) Lo Wright was taking a favorite short-cut through a relatively deserted area to his home. Assuming he wasn't being followed by armed men earlier, they knew where to wait for him. Like any father visiting his kids, I'm sure he coordinated the time he was dropping by with his ex-wife.

2) The ex had a very strange tale about the three armed men. Even if she was afraid of contacting the authorities (under the pretense of protecting the kids), why wouldn't she warn Lo Wright his life was in danger, or not have him come by the house as it would imperil the safety of the children? Three armed men who knew where he lived and had threatened her and the kids... and now you're going to let their target pay you a housecall? No, this does not add up.

3) Three armed men, all of them carrying guns in waistbands... not one with a waistband, one with a shoulder holster, one with a gun pulled in tight with his belt... but all with waistbands. All of them show either show off their weapons (rookie move, who needs to do time if something happens later) or carry them unconcealed in broad daylight. That is a scene from a Quentin Tarantino movie, not real life.

I've been wondering the same thing. Did she ever say how the men were dressed or if they were wearing jackets?
I Love LA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:

I never see anyone do that.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject:

SashaFan88 wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

I never see anyone do that.

Well...........Considering the new developments.............

Never to prideful to admit when I'm wrong, and boy was I.

Looks now as if he WAS trying to to right by his kids and get them away from her......So sad.
Greed is a MF.

RIP LW.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject:

SashaFan88 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

I've been wondering the same thing. Did she ever say how the men were dressed or if they were wearing jackets?

No, she never mentioned it. Further it's summertime in hot, humid Memphis... not exactly time to wear a jacket.
Caught in the devil's bargain
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden

-Joni Mitchell
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Sorry I've been gone all day you're right she hasn't been arrested but she's the prime suspect

http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/news/local/story/Lorenzen-Wright-Murder-Investigation-Ex-Wifes/S-skg85-Z0WziY42wXHr0g.cspx

Quote:

Lorenzen Wright Murder Investigation: Ex-Wife's Lawyer Responds to Rumors

Last Update: 5:34 pm
Set Text Size Small Set Text Size Medium Set Text Size Large Set Text Size X-Large
Print Story | ShareThis
Related Links

* Memorials Planned For Lorenzen Wright
* Lorenzen Wright's Ex-Wife Worried About His Disappearance
* New Details In The Lorenzen Wright Mystery
* Lorenzen Wright's death ruled a homicide
* Memorial Fund Set Up in Lorenzen Wright's Honor
* The Lorenzen Wright Murder Investigation: Detectives Swarm Ex-Wife’s Home
* Attorney: Wright's Ex-Wife Got Threatening Visit
* Threats Against Lorenzen Wright by Ex-Wife Recorded, Personal Assistant Says
* Major Developments in Lorenzen Wright Murder Investigation
* Attorney: Lorenzen Wright's Ex-Wife Threatened By Armed Men

Lorenzen Wright (www.Grizzlies.com)
Lorenzen Wright (www.Grizzlies.com)
MEMPHIS, TN - Lorenzen Wright's ex-wife has been at the center of the latest speculation surrounding the basketball star’s murder. Now, we're hearing from her newly-hired criminal lawyer about the rumors.

A confession, criminal charges, a conspiracy, this case has taken on a life of its own, in the media and around town. Sherra Wright's lawyer wants to set the record straight.

We were there as police scoured her home Sunday, looking for clues in the murder investigation. Coleman Garrett is representing Lorenzen Wright's ex-wife Sherra. Garret says it's standard procedure and doesn't implicate his client.

“I just assume it's part of the routine investigation,” said Garrett. “They're looking for clues, they're looking for evidence. They're trying to find answers, and that would be one of the logical things to do, to search any premises where Lorenzen was last known to be.”

But there's been no word from police since last week, so rumors continue to swirl around the case.

“I feel like she knows more than she's released and she's hired a lawyer, already, so what reason would she have to hire a lawyer if she hadn't did anything,” said Kevin Hollingsworth of Memphis.

Rumors Sherra Wright's been in custody.

“No, she's never been in police custody, and I don't know where all these rumors come from,” said Garrett. “And that's why we don't intend to add to them with her speaking on camera or present, what have you, because it's just going to exacerbate a bad situation, and people are going to have their opinions and misconstrue what is said.”

Garrett says other rumors like she confessed don't deserve a response.

“We think the best thing for her to do is just take care of her children and maintain a low profile,” said Garrett. “Until the Police Department and homicide can do their job and maybe they'll give us some answers.”

This is the second attorney we've heard from representing Sherra Wright. Friday, her divorce lawyer told us about three men who came to Sherra Wright's house, looking for Lorenzen, saying they had some "unfinished business."

There are several memorials being held in honor of Lorenzen Wright this week. One is happening right now. It’s for alumni of his high school, Booker T. Washington. A public memorial will be at 1 pm Wednesday at the FedEx Forum.
L.A.T.W
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Things not looking good for the ex. Lorenzen Wright's former personal assistant, Wendy Wilson, claims she has audio recordings of Wrights ex-wife, Sherra, shouting threats at her husband, saying that she would harm him if he was ever with another woman.

Quote:
"I have the evidence that she said these things and she knows it," Wilson told myeyewtinessnews.com, Memphis' ABC affiliate.

Wilson went on to say Sherra said "things like, if she caught him with anyone else, she'd have him 'f'd up' or whatever."

Wrights ex-wife's home reportedly was searched for several hours on Sunday night by police. Neighbors told police they had seen a large fire in the backyard following Wright's disappearance.

Wilson, who has urged investigators to examine Sherra as a suspect and described her as "unstable," said she had played the tapes to Lorenzen Wright and his parents years ago. Wilson said Lorenzen Wright asked her to keep the tapes.

Coleman Garrett, who is representing Sherra Wright, said the police search of her home is a formality:

"They're trying to find answers, and that would be one of the logical things to do, to search any premises where Lorenzen was last known to be," he said to myeyewitnessnews.com.

Garrett also refuted rumors swirling around Memphis that Sherra Wright is somehow involved in her ex-husband's murder.

"We think the best thing for her to do is just take care of her children and maintain a low profile," Garrett told the website. "Until the Police Department and homicide can do their job and maybe they'll give us some answers."

Since the Wrights' divorce, the court ordered Lorenzen to pay $26,000 a month in child support and alimony. Mathes said Wright has not done so since last November.

According to her divorce attorney, Gail Mathes, Sherra Wright is a dedicated mother who is struggling to pay the bills. "I just feel like Sherra Wright is being placed in a bad light," Mathes told Memphis' ABC affiliate. "She does not deserve it all. She's been an incredible mother and woman. And she's done her best to shield her children from financial difficulties."

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/08/02/report-lorenzen-wrights-ex-wife-made-threats-in-audio-recordin/

Last edited by L.A.T.W on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
danish87
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject:

damn this is becoming some law & order stuff. tragic
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject:

danish87 wrote:

I'm sure it will be featured on L&O: LA

At the very least it will be on The First 48
L.A.T.W
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
danish87 wrote:

I'm sure it will be featured on L&O: LA

At the very least it will be on The First 48

Sad but more than likely true.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: