Boardwalk Empire
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject:

Glad this show is back, although I was a little confused on the locations this episode. No Margaret to annoy us, for a while at least. No sight of Agent Van Buren either yet.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject:

Yeah, really confusing 1st episode. Story line was all over the place. But I guess they have to start somewhere.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject:

DonMagicWand wrote:
Glad this show is back, although I was a little confused on the locations this episode. No Margaret to annoy us, for a while at least. No sight of Agent Van Buren either yet.

The club scenes were the new nightclub on the Boardwalk Nucky promised Chaulky for his help against Gyp. It was formerly Babette's which was blown up by Gyp.

Season 4 seems to take place not too long after the the conclusion of season 3. At the end of last season, Nucky had tricked Rothstein into helping him against Gyp by promising him the Overholt distillery. He then had Treasury Secretary Andrew Mellon try and prosecute Rothstein for violation of the Volstead Act which he apparently dodged.

In exchange for Overholt, Rothstein made a deal for Joe Massaria to withdraw his support of Gyp, but Nucky double-crossed them both and had Capone and Chaulky slaughter all his men while they were driving back to New York.

After killing all of Gyp's men in the brothel, Richard took Tommy over to his girlfriend Julia's house and left him in the care of her and her father. Now, it seems Gillian, who survived the heroin overdose Gyp gave her, is trying to sell her house and get out of the brothel business so she can regain custody.

I have no idea what Richard is up to and why he's gone hitman, but the woman at the end was his sister Emma so he must be in Wisconsin.

Van Alden should appear soon as much of the Capone scenes were in Cicero, IL where he lives. The previews showed his current boss O'Banion wants him to spy on Capone's gang.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject:

I watched Season 1 but stopped watching since I totally forgot about this show. Just caught up.

Observations.

- Damn Jimmy?

- Lucky Luciano and the young guys need a spinoff series.

- The actor that plays Rothstein is one creepy, creepy m'fer.

- Buscemi acts like he does in every movie, every interview. Nucky scenes are SO (bleep) boring.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

- Buscemi acts like he does in every movie, every interview. Nucky scenes are SO (bleep) boring.

Are you serious?

What Buscemi movies are you referring to? All of his movies I'm familiar with he's playing some kind of goofball or underling. He has a lot of acting credits to his name, but I'm not familiar with any of his previous work that was similar to what he's doing on Boardwalk Empire.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Are you serious?

What Buscemi movies are you referring to? All of his movies I'm familiar with he's playing some kind of goofball or underling. He has a lot of acting credits to his name, but I'm not familiar with any of his previous work that was similar to what he's doing on Boardwalk Empire.

His character is different but his delivery/mannerism is identical. Simply doesn't work for me.
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
DonMagicWand wrote:

The club scenes were the new nightclub on the Boardwalk Nucky promised Chaulky for his help against Gyp. It was formerly Babette's which was blown up by Gyp.

Season 4 seems to take place not too long after the the conclusion of season 3. At the end of last season, Nucky had tricked Rothstein into helping him against Gyp by promising him the Overholt distillery. He then had Treasury Secretary Andrew Mellon try and prosecute Rothstein for violation of the Volstead Act which he apparently dodged.

In exchange for Overholt, Rothstein made a deal for Joe Massaria to withdraw his support of Gyp, but Nucky double-crossed them both and had Capone and Chaulky slaughter all his men while they were driving back to New York.

After killing all of Gyp's men in the brothel, Richard took Tommy over to his girlfriend Julia's house and left him in the care of her and her father. Now, it seems Gillian, who survived the heroin overdose Gyp gave her, is trying to sell her house and get out of the brothel business so she can regain custody.

I have no idea what Richard is up to and why he's gone hitman, but the woman at the end was his sister Emma so he must be in Wisconsin.

Van Alden should appear soon as much of the Capone scenes were in Cicero, IL where he lives. The previews showed his current boss O'Banion wants him to spy on Capone's gang.

thank you for the refresher, esp. the bolded.

it'll be interesting to see what Ron Livingston's role is. I'm a fan of his in Band of Brothers and Office Space, but not sure about the accent.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Are you serious?

His character is different but his delivery/mannerism is identical. Simply doesn't work for me.

I like Buscemi better as a supporting actor than the main guy carrying a show, but Boardwalk Empire overall is very good. I could do with no more Margaret period however.
Remembering Showtime
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Are you serious?

I like Buscemi better as a supporting actor than the main guy carrying a show, but Boardwalk Empire overall is very good. I could do with no more Margaret period however.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject:

Buscemi is displaying acting abilities I didn't think he possessed. I've seen him joker, clown like, not someone to take seriously.

In Boardwalk he swaggers with attitude that doesn't fit the wimp he's played in past roles.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject:

anybody still watching? its been kinda slow so far but some meaningful events this last episode.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject:

It's been very slow. Character development seems to be the plan. Valtine Narcisse is a character I don't think will last long. He's trying to undermine Nucky and characters who do that are usually short lived.

I also don't see the purpose of Daughter Maitland. I first thought she was going to be a sex interest for Chalky but I've abandoned that thought.

Chalky White is becoming more prominent but not gaining any power.

It's not like season 1, sex, blood and guts and straight gangster.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Watched last nights episode today. Eddie killing himself was a surprise. I guess this was another way for Nucky to duck the feds. Gillian's a junkie.

tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Really, jodeke? (And spoiler alert for folks eh?)

From what we knew of Eddie, I saw it once Nucky wanted him back as his personal assistant. Then I knew for sure when he was writing the letter and tidied up. Seemed a bit cliche but overall, still a good show.

I wanna see that Fed roasted though...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
Really, jodeke? (And spoiler alert for folks eh?)

From what we knew of Eddie, I saw it once Nucky wanted him back as his personal assistant. Then I knew for sure when he was writing the letter and tidied up. Seemed a bit cliche but overall, still a good show.

I wanna see that Fed roasted though...

Wasn't a surprise when he did it, was surprised he did it at all. He didn't hesitate, fixed his tie, stepped on the windowsill and jumped.

I thought he was going to turn straight gangster. I didn't see him being written out so soon.

AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject:

Man I hate where they're going with this show. The plot is a total mess. Nucky is no longer a boss, he looks like a lonely whatever guy.

This show was all about gangsters and power, with Nucky at the center of the whole thing. Now it's everyone ploting around Nucky and Eddie offing himself (seriously, WTF?).

The Capones storyline is kind of nice because of Al's fame, and Dr. Narcisse is interesting, but Gyp Rosseti was a cooler villain.

On top of that, they have some loose end characters whose storyline make no sense at all. We all love Richard Harrow, but what does him going country-side to his sister helps the main plot? And Gillian? Enough with her already.

I loved this show the first 2 seasons. 3rd one was a little off, but Rosseti saved it. This season is very subpar, and they have few episodes to pick it up.

The way it is going, I wouldn't be surprised if HBO decided to call it quits next season.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject:

I agree. It seems like the characters are all kind of going their separate ways.

Not a whole lot tying them back together again, while introducing more characters to the show.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject:

The show lacks excitement. Got to get back to season 1, bush and violence.

Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject:

What is the significance of J.M.T on the handkerchief?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject:

Kobe>Lebron wrote:

I think that's going to be what reveals him to Nucky. Nucky has one of his handkerchiefs.

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject:

Kobe>Lebron wrote:

Warren Knox is his undercover name. His real name is Jim M. Tolliver.

J. Edgar Hoover referred to him by his real name a couple of times last night.

Now we know Gaston Means (Stephen Root) is working for the F.B.I. and trying to throw Nucky off Knox's trail by feeding him a bunch of useless background info on him and warning Knox about the handkerchief.

Nucky's now suspicious about the lack of detail in Knox's background and that his former supervisor just disappeared without a trace.
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject:

I still love the acting on this show, but I think this series needs an end date. They are spinning too many storylines which weaken the good ones. Probably because they are just thinking one season at a time.

Get rid of the Gillian storyline, get rid of Eli's sons problems, get rid of what Margaret is doing now. Focus on Chicago, Narcisse and the mole storylines with a lil bit of Richard and Lucky.

Loved how the actor plays as Torrio - old badass.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject:

Only a few of us still watching, lol

DOB getting killed was great, (he actually was killed in real life similar to the way they portrayed)

I wish they focused on Chicago more.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject:

DonMagicWand wrote:

DOB getting killed was great, (he actually was killed in real life similar to the way they portrayed)

I'm still watching, missed it last night. I usually watch at 11:00pm PST. I fell asleep after a "Party Ova Hear." I have it auto tuned tomorrow and Wednesday.

Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DonMagicWand wrote:

I'm still watching, missed it last night. I usually watch at 11:00pm PST. I fell asleep after a "Party Ova Hear." I have it auto tuned tomorrow and Wednesday.

Last night was the best episode of the season IMO. Harrow joining Nucky should be enough to get everyone back on the bandwagon.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 25 of 30
Jump to: