Boardwalk Empire
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Kobe>Lebron wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DonMagicWand wrote:
Only a few of us still watching, lol

DOB getting killed was great, (he actually was killed in real life similar to the way they portrayed)

I wish they focused on Chicago more.

I'm still watching, missed it last night. I usually watch at 11:00pm PST. I fell asleep after a "Party Ova Hear." I have it auto tuned tomorrow and Wednesday.

Last night was the best episode of the season IMO. Harrow joining Nucky should be enough to get everyone back on the bandwagon.

I just noticed it comes on tonight 6:00 and 9:00pm PST. I'll watch it at 9. I want to watch Green Bay and Chicago.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Chalky's getting more play. If they decide to pit him against Nucky I'm afraid it to mean he's about to be written out of the show.

Valentin Narcisse is also on shaky ground. He's made two enemies, Nucky and Chalky. The introduction of drugs has to give NY and Chicago a page in the book.

Nucky's making a transition from bootlegging to real estate.

I'm still not pleased they toned down from season one's violence and raw sex scenes.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
bertrome
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject:

The episodes dating back to the last 2 episodes of the previous season has flowed much better ever since they've basically Margaret into a cameo role. Subplots involving her were essentially the weakest link of the show.

Really interesting how they're gonna resolve the Chalky-Narcisse conflict, Richard's role in Nucky's organization and what Roy is really up to with Gillian in the last few episodes of this season.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject:

bertrome wrote:
The episodes dating back to the last 2 episodes of the previous season has flowed much better ever since they've basically Margaret into a cameo role. Subplots involving her were essentially the weakest link of the show.

Really interesting how they're gonna resolve the Chalky-Narcisse conflict, Richard's role in Nucky's organization and what Roy is really up to with Gillian in the last few episodes of this season.

One or the other has to go. I believe Chalky will survive. My suspense is how will Chalky handle his family? His daughter has suspicions about him and Daughter Maitland. Richard needs a job so he can give his girlfriend support. I wonder what his job will be. Did Gillian kick cold turkey?

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Finally got into this series, just finished the first 2 seasons. Love Gretchen MILF Mol. Jimmy did too (cough).
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject:

Wow. No happy endings for anyone on this show.
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject:

dayam, RIP!

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject:

Yeah, pretty messed up. People's lives in ruins and yet, they go on.

Guess I'll wait a week or so so that there are no spoilers.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject:

What the hell happened?

Richard's dead Eli hiding on the west coast, Jillian's up on a murder charge, Valentine Narcisse getting solid, Al Capone taking the reigns from Johnny Torrio, Chalky's sitting on a porch in the country, his daughter killed by a errant Richard shot, Daughter Maitland singing in a country speak easy.

I have to watch the finale again to try to decipher what's happening. For sure the writers boarder on genius concerning how to end a season in a way to leave those who watch with a reason to tune in on next seasons opener.

FloppyDiskz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
What the hell happened?

Richard's dead Eli hiding on the west coast, Jillian's up on a murder charge, Valentine Narcisse getting solid, Al Capone taking the reigns from Johnny Torrio, Chalky's sitting on a porch in the country, his daughter killed by a errant Richard shot, Daughter Maitland singing in a country speak easy.

I have to watch the finale again to try to decipher what's happening. For sure the writers boarder on genius concerning how to end a season in a way to leave those who watch with a reason to tune in on next seasons opener.

With Van Alden picking him up, I took it as Eli going to Chicago to work with Capone.

This entire season felt like a build up to a more spectacular (hopefully) season.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject:

FloppyDiskz wrote:
jodeke wrote:
What the hell happened?

With Van Alden picking him up, I took it as Eli going to Chicago to work with Capone.

This entire season felt like a build up to a more spectacular (hopefully) season.

When Eli's son asked Nucky where his father was Nucky told him he was on the west coast and he, the son, was now the head of the family.

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject:

I was disappointed in the season finale, I thought they left way too many things wide open....you owe it to the fans to tie up some of the loose ends.

Overall, a pretty uneven season for what I think is a great show.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
FloppyDiskz wrote:
jodeke wrote:
What the hell happened?

When Eli's son asked Nucky where his father was Nucky told him he was on the west coast and he, the son, was now the head of the family.

Since when does Nucky tell the truth to the people he cares about? He constantly lies to them. He told Gillian he didn't know where Tommy had gone and told Margaret her former husband ending up the fishing nets was an "accident".

Van Alden's appearance meant Eli was in Chicago.

I enjoyed this season just as I had the previous three, but it was bittersweet having to say goodbye to some great characters in Eddie Kessler, Dunn Purnsley, and Richard Harrow.

Capone figures to have an even bigger role next season as he rises to power. I wonder how far they will advance the timeline of the show. It should have been around 1925 this season. Most of the interesting stuff happens in the late 20s early 30s but I don't think they can drag BE out another six seasons.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
FloppyDiskz wrote:
jodeke wrote:
What the hell happened?

Since when does Nucky tell the truth to the people he cares about? He constantly lies to them. He told Gillian he didn't know where Tommy had gone and told Margaret her former husband ending up the fishing nets was an "accident".

Van Alden's appearance meant Eli was in Chicago.

I enjoyed this season just as I had the previous three, but it was bittersweet having to say goodbye to some great characters in Eddie Kessler, Dunn Purnsley, and Richard Harrow.

Capone figures to have an even bigger role next season as he rises to power. I wonder how far they will advance the timeline of the show. It should have been around 1925 this season. Most of the interesting stuff happens in the late 20s early 30s but I don't think they can drag BE out another six seasons.

You may be right, Nucky is not adverse to telling the truth.

Capone's role may be expanded. The demise of Torrio wasn't a surprise. Tell me, was I hearing things, I thought I heard 7 shots from a six shooter when Johnny was shot.

Richard never had a role that made him a solid plot member. His character held a kind of mystery that wondered when it would become more pertinent. I didn't want to see him go either.

Narcisse proud demeanor will be non existent next season. "What did you say, Yes, what? Sir!" The FBI is going to use him as a mole. A once proud man will be reduced to peon. I couldn't connect the Frederick Douglas mention. Douglas died in 1895.

Though not as blood, guts and sex as the opening season, there is more intrigue and complication. You know Nucky will still be center but off shoot power is flexible. Next season has plots possibilities that are multiple.

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I thought I heard 7 shots from a six shooter when Johnny was shot.

I wouldn't doubt it. Amazing how often that's missed during editing. Watch "Open Range" and see Kevin Costner take down the bad guys with his 9-shooter.

jodeke wrote:
Richard never had a role that made him a solid plot member. His character held a kind of mystery that wondered when it would become more pertinent. I didn't want to see him go either.

I get the feeling Richard was meant to be a minor character with a limited role but his popularity with the fans forced the writers to keep him. This season felt like closure. We got to meet the sister he's spoke of and he was able to find the love and family he thought he'd never have.

jodeke wrote:
Narcisse proud demeanor will be non existent next season. "What did you say, Yes, what? Sir!" The FBI is going to use him as a mole. A once proud man will be reduced to peon. I couldn't connect the Frederick Douglas mention. Douglas died in 1895.

I'm curious if he's going to return next season and still be in charge of the North Side since Chaulky has returned to exile.

For that matter, where will Nucky be next season? We've seen him transform from high-profile public official living in the heart of Atlantic City to full-fledged gangster forced into isolation on the outskirts of town. Now that he's packed up and moved out of the Albatross where will he go?

Now that the season is over, I'm thinking about the symbolism of the name of the abandoned hotel. Since Albatross' are symbolic of bad luck or curses was the curse Nucky is bearing losing everyone close to him? Eli's final words to him were something about never having a family of his own.

jodeke wrote:
Though not as blood, guts and sex as the opening season, there is more intrigue and complication. You know Nucky will still be center but off shoot power is flexible. Next season has plots possibilities that are multiple.

As I said, I enjoyed it. I think BE is not a show you can just pick up and start watching in the middle. It's not a faced paced show despite it's gangster subject matter but none of the really good shows or movies in this genre are.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject:

I dont get Van Alden picking up Eli. Since Van Alden is running from his murder when he was a Prohibition agent, and I think Nucky was his target, doesnt he want to hide from Nuckys brother?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
I dont get Van Alden picking up Eli. Since Van Alden is running from his murder when he was a Prohibition agent, and I think Nucky was his target, doesnt he want to hide from Nuckys brother?

Eli is running to Capone for protection. Van Alden's just the chauffeur. He knows Capone from last season when Eli went to Chicago to recruit him and his men to help Nucky fight Gyp Rosetti.

I don't know why Nucky would care about Van Alden anymore. Now that he's not the Prohibition Dept, he's no longer a threat. Even if he did find out Van Alden was in Chicago, Capone is an ally and he's under his protection.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject:

I watched, again, and yes Eli is going to Chicago. Chalky's exile is on land and followers of Oscar. Oscar was a disciple of the Commodore who gave him is start and he gave Chalky his.

With the death of Oscar looks like Chalky will have a small band of followers to at least be able to fend for himself.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Bump for new season.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Anybody watch the beginning of the new season?

It took me a minute to figure out character connection to the old. Nucky, Chalky, Eli to name a few. Nucky's new body guard is a stone cold killer. Cut dudes ear off and put it in his pocket.

It started slow but it looks like it's going to be a good season.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject:

It's very confusing the switching from the past to present. It showed how Nucky met the Commodore and his sister dying. Then it jump to present. Mueller and Eli hooked up and Eli is really down and out. His son has graduated from college and is a prosecutor. It's slow but it's not. Margaret is in a insane asylum.

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
It's very confusing the switching from the past to present. It showed how Nucky met the Commodore and his sister dying. Then it jump to present. Mueller and Eli hooked up and Eli is really down and out. His son has graduated from college and is a prosecutor. It's slow but it's not. Margaret is in a insane asylum.

What's been a little confusing is they've moved the timeline ahead 6 years for Season 5 because this is the final season. Rothstein is dead, Capone is at the height of his power, and Luciano and Lansky are about to make their power play. "Black Tuesday" (1929 stock market crash) already happened and the country is at the beginning of the Great Depression.

It should be an interesting season as a lot of interesting events happened in to these characters in 1931.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject:

I made a mistake it's Gillian in the asylum not Margaret.

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject:

Yeah, them jumping ahead so much and not filling in the pieces plus wasting screen time on Nucky's childhood to me seems like they're trying to rip off Godfather 2 a bit but it's nowhere close to being as well executed. It just seems lazy. Like "okay this is the last 10 episodes. what do we still want to cover? oh it wont happen for 5 years? let's jump ahead to that with no transition whatsoever and then just kind of wing it".

It seems like the last season is extremely rushed. They should have at least done the new fad and done a two part final season a la The Sopranos and Breaking Bad.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Yeah, them jumping ahead so much and not filling in the pieces plus wasting screen time on Nucky's childhood to me seems like they're trying to rip off Godfather 2 a bit but it's nowhere close to being as well executed. It just seems lazy. Like "okay this is the last 10 episodes. what do we still want to cover? oh it wont happen for 5 years? let's jump ahead to that with no transition whatsoever and then just kind of wing it".

It seems like the last season is extremely rushed. They should have at least done the new fad and done a two part final season a la The Sopranos and Breaking Bad.

It's actually only going to be 8 episodes instead of the usual 12. They must really want to put BE to rest so Terence Winter and HBO can focus on their new series about Rock n Roll in the 70s.

I'm hoping they'll be able to maintain the high quality of the show, but this kind of rushed closure for a TV series never works out well.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 26 of 30
Jump to: