Smush After '07

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What would you do in '07
Ditch Smush and Sign a Star (if there is any)
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Re-sign Smush and sign another decent bigman
93%
 93%  [ 43 ]
Total Votes : 46

kqiu2210
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Smush After '07

Since Smush is playing so well, it kinda makes me wonder what will happen to Smush in '07. Now lets SUPPOSE this, Smush continues to average 18-20ppg and 2.5+ steals, a couple of assists and boards. Smush wins MIP and in '06 Lakers picks up his TO. Now in '07, would you want to see the Lakers drop Smush and pick up another Star. Or see the Lakers keep Smush for maybe 5/6m a year, and pick up a solid decent bigman for around 6+m. What comes into my mind is that if the Lakers do well this season, it kinda feels like its all possible because of the gold we struck in Smush, so should we keep the player who gave us "life in the dark days"?

Note: Yao and Amare ARE gone, so there probably won't even be a star left?
purple8goldvanessa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject:

i think signing a big star name is a mistake. I think more important than star talent is chemistry. Even with gary payton and karl malone, we didn't do well at all. I rather have a guy come in and wants to play with kobe, and knows that kobe is the number 1 guy. Smush is just playing so unselfishly and playing well with kobe. You can just see them clicking on all levels on the court. Hopefully, we can leave cap room for smush to be resigned.
pokoy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject:

If it were up to me, I'd resign Smush (if we're basing this on his performance so far). I doubt we'd be able to keep him though since all we'd have for him is the MLE and I doubt the upper ups are ready to max him out on that; and I also am assuming that there will be other teams eager to steal him away, especially if he keeps this up.

He's a young guy, so he'll go for the $$$$. Can't blame the guy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kobenbynum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Smush all the way baby!
Mockerfab4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject:

A solid big man is all we need. No more superstar egos! Our backcourt right now, is the best IMHO in the league. Our frontcourt needs some help though, so I'd settle for a solid veteran big man to teach Kwame a thing or 2 (or 3 or 4), pull down boards, defend the paint, do all the scrappy things on defense, while Kobe, Lamar and Smush do most of the work on the offensive end.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Why can't we sign Smush and a big time FA? The fact is, we could. Or better yet, trade Odom and change for Lebron in 2008, and still be able to sign a decent big for 6-10 mil.
DiehardLakerFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject:

sign Smush and a star
purple8goldvanessa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Why can't we sign Smush and a big time FA? The fact is, we could. Or better yet, trade Odom and change for Lebron in 2008, and still be able to sign a decent big for 6-10 mil.

if lebron plays with kobe we will be ruined i predict.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject:

purple8goldvanessa wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Expand your horizons and think about the future. Kobe will be in his early 30's then, and past his prime. The team could transition from a Kobe-led team to a Lebron-led team. Then, when Kobe is a supporting player, Lebron would be around 27, and the dominant player on the team. That would leave the Lakers in a great situation.
pokoy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Of course we could, but will we?

I'm still not sure what his contract situation is. I know we have a team option for him next year, but is he an unrestricted or a restricted free agent after that?

Anyway, I have a bad feeling about our chances of signing this guy. It feels like management will be eyeing all the big prizes while letting all the decent prizes go without a fight. That coupled with the fact that Smush will be looking for a long-term multi-million dollar contract if he does well here for two years; I'm not confident in our chances.

Someone mentioned we can hopefully package him for something better next year. I'd hate to do that, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us do this, especially if he is not in our long term plans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject:

^^But why would he not be in our long term plans

I can't think of a better fit at PG in the NBA right now than Smush. Sure there may be a few better PGs, but Smush seems to fit the triangle like a glove. Plus he is only 24. I say sign him to a 5-year $20-25 million deal. (after this year when he proves he can do it for 82+ games)
dontbreakmyballz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Live in the moment!!

C'mon your talking about 2 to 3 years from now. Whatever happens is gonna happen. Don't stress about things you have no control over and instead enjoy the fact that the team you love is 3-1 and looking good.
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject:

The press reports I have read said he has a two year contract with the first partially guaranteed.

In summer 07 he will be an unrestricted FA but Grant,George,Slava will be off the books so we will be under the cap.

If we assume a moderate 3% rise in the cap we should be able to sign Smush and a big time FA.

Hell, maybe we should consider signing him to an extension soon.

Maybe after the all-star break.

We don't want to be like the Rockets when they signed Cato or the Blazers when they signed Grant.

We want to be like the Queens when the signed Peja long term.
aiel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject:

purple8goldvanessa wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Thats just crazy, Kobe and bron would be terrific together.
wknchan
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Pay smush the MAX.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject:

I would give him the other half of the mle as a bonus if he continues to perform at this level...
kqiu2210
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject:

can someone explain why we could only offer smush the MLE? don't we have a TO on him next season? and in '07 we WILL have cap space
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: