Best songs of the 1980's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 12894
Location: MDC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Best songs of the 1980's

"Purple Rain" by Prince
"Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins
"Just like Heaven" by The Cure
_________________
(❍ᴥ❍ʋ) ʕʘᴥʘʔ (⌐ ͡■ ͜ʖ ͡■) (┛◉Д◉)┛( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) ༼;༎ຶ ۝ ༎ຶ༽
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 May 2005
Posts: 13324

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Sweet Child O Mine-GNR
Send Me an Angel-Real Life
Thriller-Michael Jackson
Beat it-Michael Jackson
Billie Jean-Michael Jackson
Stray Cat Strut-Stray Cats
I Just Called to Say I Love You-Stevie Wonder
Paid in Full-Eric B and Rakim
New Year's Day-U2
When Doves Cry-Prince
Bananarama-Cruel Summer
Little Red Corvette-Prince
_________________
Thank you, Kobe. We love you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
taggert
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 30 Oct 2012
Posts: 122

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Cutting Crew - I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rebirthoftheM
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 429

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject:

The Greatest Love of All- Whitney Houston
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Posts: 13194
Location: @ the beach

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Redemption Song - Bob Marley
_________________
♪ ♫One good thing about music, when it hits, you feel no pain...
So hit me with music! ♪ ♫
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Teamof2000
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Apr 2001
Posts: 2284
Location: San Francisco, CA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject:

Milli Vanilli - Blame it on the Rain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 03 Jul 2005
Posts: 13632

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject:

1. leonard cohen - hallelujah

2. paul simon - you can call me al

3. u2 - pride (in the name of love)

4. stevie wonder - lately

5. toto - africa

6. prince - kiss

7. dire straights - money for nothing

8. simple minds - don't you

9. bonnie tyler - total eclipse of the heart

10. eurythmics - sweet dreams


* survivor - eye of the tiger (sentimental pick)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 11 Aug 2002
Posts: 9739

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
3. u2 - pride (in the name of love)


No better than the third or fourth best song on that album (IMO, of course).

The 80s was a rich decade for U2 -- Boy. October. War. Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum were all released in that decade.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Moses
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 7548
Location: London

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject:

Eric B & Rakim - "Paid In Full", "Let The Rhythm Hit Em" & "I Know You Got Soul"

Slick Rick - "Children's Story"

Eazy E - "Boyz-N-The Hood" & "Eazy Duz It"

N.W.A. - "Straight Outta Compton" & "Express Yourself"

Big Daddy Kane - "Set It Off", "Ain't No Half Steppin" & "Smooth Operator"

Pretty much all of Public Enemy's "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back" album.

Some good hip-hop in the 80's man...
_________________
Even The Genius Has His Questions, Be Grateful For Blessings...
Lakers, Chargers, Dodgers

RIP Junior Seau
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 03 Jul 2005
Posts: 13632

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
davidse wrote:
3. u2 - pride (in the name of love)


No better than the third or fourth best song on that album (IMO, of course).

The 80s was a rich decade for U2 -- Boy. October. War. Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum were all released in that decade.


I know what you mean - from an "artistic" standpoint.

was defenetly considering replacing it with other u2 tracks from the decade, but nostaligicaly - this was the most powerfull one for me.

ok, it was between that one and "i still haven't found..."

who am I kidding - the 80's are all about nostalgia for me.
far less about "art".

I tried to find a middle road with the list...

(btw - one amazing song that I always felt was kind of "hidden" in unforgetable fire - was "bad". LOVED that song, but I don't think it's very well known)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 16256

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:


(btw - one amazing song that I always felt was kind of "hidden" in unforgetable fire - was "bad". LOVED that song, but I don't think it's very well known)


My fave of theirs is I Will Follow. I think that's the earliest one of theirs that had a video. When was Boy released, around 81?
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL

"My reaction to everything you post is basically 'Amen'." -VegasLakerFan
"Glad to play a small role in the growing legend of NPZ." -DancingBarry
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Jun 2013
Posts: 11333

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject:

Some of my favorite 80's songs

1. Killing Joke - Love like Blood
2. Billy Idol - Eyes Without a Face
3. Cocteau Twins - Crushed
4. David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes
5. The Cars - Drive
6. Flock of Seagulls - Wishing
7. Billy Idol - Flesh for Fantasy
8. Clan of Xymox - Imagination
9. Tears for Fears - Pale Shelter
10. Killing Joke - Eighties
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
The Grind
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 6689
Location: PTY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Great thread... I generally despise 80s music, however, there were a handful of artists who broke the mold and crafted some truly timeless music...

Prince - The Cross, Purple Rain, Sign O' the Times, Adore
Guns N' Roses - Patience
Van Halen - Mean Street
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
The Who - Eminence Front (such an underrated song)
Terence Trent D'Arby - Wishing Well
Michael Jackson - Beat It
KISS - War Machine
The Police - Invisible Sun (lots to chose from but this is probably my fav Police tune)
Rush - Red Barchetta, Limelight, Time Stand Still
Night Ranger - Sister Christian (sorry, can't make an 80s list w/o at least one cheeseball tune )
Rick Springfield - Jessie's Girl
Paul McCartney - Tug of War
John Lennon - Woman
a-ha - The Living Daylights (highly underrated Bond theme)
Gladys Knight - License to Kill (another underrated Bond theme)
Peter Gabriel - Red Rain
David Bowie - Cat People (Putting Out the Fire)
King's X - Goldilox
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Oct 2007
Posts: 10932
Location: Irvine, CA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Metallica - Master Of Puppets
The Pointer Sisters - Automatic
Scritti Politti - Perfect Way
New Order - All Day Long
Duran Duran - The Chauffeur
Big Log - Robert Plant
Hall & Oates - I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)
ZZ Top - Legs
Lionel Richie - All Night Long (All Night)
The Isley Brothers - Between The Sheets
Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime
The Gap Band - You Dropped A Bomb On Me
Mr. Mister - Broken Wings
Depeche Mode - Blasphemous Rumours
Steely Dan - Time Out Of Mind
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 6429

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
Great thread... I generally despise 80s music, however, there were a handful of artists who broke the mold and crafted some truly timeless music...

Prince - The Cross, Purple Rain, Sign O' the Times, Adore
Guns N' Roses - Patience
Van Halen - Mean Street
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
The Who - Eminence Front (such an underrated song)
Terence Trent D'Arby - Wishing Well
Michael Jackson - Beat It
KISS - War Machine
The Police - Invisible Sun (lots to chose from but this is probably my fav Police tune)
Rush - Red Barchetta, Limelight, Time Stand Still
Night Ranger - Sister Christian (sorry, can't make an 80s list w/o at least one cheeseball tune )
Rick Springfield - Jessie's Girl
Paul McCartney - Tug of War
John Lennon - Woman
a-ha - The Living Daylights (highly underrated Bond theme)
Gladys Knight - License to Kill (another underrated Bond theme)
Peter Gabriel - Red Rain
David Bowie - Cat People (Putting Out the Fire)
King's X - Goldilox


Maybe my favorite Prince ballad. You can smash up my ride.....well, maybe not the ride.....
_________________
It took many years of vomiting up all the filth Id been taught about myself, and half-believed, before I was able to walk on the earth as though I had a right to be here.
― James Baldwin, Collected Essays
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 6429

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Eric B & Rakim - "Paid In Full", "Let The Rhythm Hit Em" & "I Know You Got Soul"

Slick Rick - "Children's Story"

Eazy E - "Boyz-N-The Hood" & "Eazy Duz It"

N.W.A. - "Straight Outta Compton" & "Express Yourself"

Big Daddy Kane - "Set It Off", "Ain't No Half Steppin" & "Smooth Operator"

Pretty much all of Public Enemy's "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back" album.

Some good hip-hop in the 80's man...



Nobody, and I mean Nobody, ever flowed like The Kane. Just ridiculous flow.
_________________
It took many years of vomiting up all the filth Id been taught about myself, and half-believed, before I was able to walk on the earth as though I had a right to be here.
― James Baldwin, Collected Essays
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
The Grind
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 6689
Location: PTY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
The Grind wrote:
Great thread... I generally despise 80s music, however, there were a handful of artists who broke the mold and crafted some truly timeless music...

Prince - The Cross, Purple Rain, Sign O' the Times, Adore
Guns N' Roses - Patience
Van Halen - Mean Street
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
The Who - Eminence Front (such an underrated song)
Terence Trent D'Arby - Wishing Well
Michael Jackson - Beat It
KISS - War Machine
The Police - Invisible Sun (lots to chose from but this is probably my fav Police tune)
Rush - Red Barchetta, Limelight, Time Stand Still
Night Ranger - Sister Christian (sorry, can't make an 80s list w/o at least one cheeseball tune )
Rick Springfield - Jessie's Girl
Paul McCartney - Tug of War
John Lennon - Woman
a-ha - The Living Daylights (highly underrated Bond theme)
Gladys Knight - License to Kill (another underrated Bond theme)
Peter Gabriel - Red Rain
David Bowie - Cat People (Putting Out the Fire)
King's X - Goldilox


Maybe my favorite Prince ballad. You can smash up my ride.....well, maybe not the ride.....


Yessir indeed... it's the perfect conclusion to a perfect record. Sign O' the Times, in my eyes, is the greatest double LP ever produced.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 16256

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject:

This is a hard one, I feel like I gotta separate the pop from the rock and R/B, etc. The pop and synthpop that most people associate with the decade and it's polarizing -- it's either ADORED or cited as fluff. I have an appetite for all kinds of music at different times, so I try to temper my music snobbiness more successfully than I do with my movie snobbiness.

I'll start on the contemp rock side:

Clash - London Calling (1980 rite?), Rock The Casbah
Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World & Head Over Heals
Pretenders - Back On The Chain Gang
Billy J - For The Longest Time (I like Only Human too, good video)
Police - Message In A Bottle, Wrapped Around Your Finger, De Doo Doo Doo, etc.
Foreigner - Waiting For A Gurl Like You, Urgent
Billy Squier - In The Dark
Stray Cats - I Won't Stand In Your Way (that was their only song of worth imo)
Bruce - Hungry Heart
Mellencamp - Crumbling Down, Pink Houses
Greg Kihn - Breakup Song
Billy Idol - Rebel Yell (that song is intensely evocative of 84 to me for some reason), Eyes Sans Face
Henley - Boys Of Summer, All She Wants To Do Is Dance, Dirty Laundry
The Cars - Since Your Gone, I'm Not The One (80s pickins are slimmer than their late 70s stuff)
Petty - Refugee, Runnin Down A Dream (same deal, late 70s stuff is his best), though liked his collabos Stop Draggin My Heart Around and Handle With Care
U2 - I Will Follow, New Years Day
Scorps - Still Lovin You

Pop:
Boingo - Better Luck Next Time
Human League - Mirror Man
Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me (that might be the quintessential 80s pop song because of its tie TBC)
Kim Wilde - Kids In Amurica (she was beautiful)
Prince - his best songs musically and lyrically from that decade are - Let's Go Crazy, When Doves Cry, LRC, and The Beautiful Ones. I like most of his stuff from The Revo era.
Thought Jackson was entertaining, but wouldn't call myself a fan, but Beat It was his best imo. Dirty Diana is my pick from Bad.
Phil Collins - all of Pat Bateman's faves (no Huey, sorry)

Hard rock:
Van Halen fan primarily. Liked Ozzy, but mostly from Sabbath. I lean much more heavily towards 60s/70s "classic rock". Zep, Beatles, etc. Fave GNR song is Civil War.

Rap: I was a RUN DMC, Beasties fan back then. Run's House is their undisputed best imo. A little LL. Nothing non-mainstream at that early stage.

Back later for adds. Nowhere near complete.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL

"My reaction to everything you post is basically 'Amen'." -VegasLakerFan
"Glad to play a small role in the growing legend of NPZ." -DancingBarry


Last edited by non-player zealot on Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
The Grind
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 6689
Location: PTY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject:

How about greatest albums???...

Prince - Sign "O" the Times
Prince - Purple Rain
Prince - 1999
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
King's X - Out of the Silent Planet
Living Colour - Vivid
N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
AC/DC - Back in Black
Van Halen - Fair Warning (1984 would be the logical choice, but this has always been my personal fave)
Metallica - Master of Puppets
The Police - Synchronicity
Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
Run DMC - Raising Hell
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Top Gun Soundtrack
Blizzard of Oz - Ozzy Osbourne
Kiss - Creatures of the Night
Don Henley - The End of the Innocence
Terence Trent D'Arby - Introducing the Hardline
The Cult - Love
Paul McCartney - Tug of War
Peter Gabriel - So
SRV & Double Trouble - Texas Flood
Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation
Rush - Moving Pictures
Rush - Permanent Waves
Rush - Signals

There's actually a lot of 80s stuff that I enjoy, I just despise the general pop scene from that decade. The heavy use of synth, the corny arrangements and the electronic drum modules just kill it for me sometimes...


Last edited by The Grind on Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Nov 2007
Posts: 10789
Location: Bay Area

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject:

REO Speedwagon- can't fight this feeling
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 16256

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
How about greatest albums???...

Van Halen - Fair Warning (1984 would be the logical choice, but this has always been my personal fave)


I've never not heard anyone cite Fair Warning or VH1 as their two favorite VH albums, it's weird. Same with me as well. The live performance videos from 81 Oakland (Hear About It Later, Unchained, So This Is Love) were amazing, that's probably why. That was them at their peak, imo. I believe they had already begun to wane and lose focus in 82 and Dave started getting into stupid offshoots (Diver Down was a hurried album to fit around the Pretty Woman single after it became a hit). Otoh, the albums in 80 and 81 especially did NOT cater to that "widest cross section" of music fans that they're credited for having. The stuff on Women & Children First is very esoteric, radio unfriendly, and mostly hard edged.

Good call on End Of Innocence. I actually own that, I'm gonna include Don in my post above.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL

"My reaction to everything you post is basically 'Amen'." -VegasLakerFan
"Glad to play a small role in the growing legend of NPZ." -DancingBarry
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
The Grind
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 6689
Location: PTY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
The Grind wrote:
How about greatest albums???...

Van Halen - Fair Warning (1984 would be the logical choice, but this has always been my personal fave)


I've never not heard anyone cite Fair Warning or VH1 as their two favorite VH albums, it's weird. Same with me as well. The live performance videos from 81 Oakland (Hear About It Later, Unchained, So This Is Love) were amazing, that's probably why. That was them at their peak, imo. I believe they had already begun to wane and lose focus in 82 and Dave started getting into stupid offshoots (Diver Down was a hurried album to fit around the Pretty Woman single after it became a hit). Otoh, the albums in 80 and 81 especially did NOT cater to that "widest cross section" of music fans that they're credited for having. The stuff on Women & Children First is very esoteric, radio unfriendly, and mostly hard edged.

Good call on End Of Innocence. I actually own that, I'm gonna include Don in my post above.


That's a good point. I think VH have always been a "musician's band", and Fair Warning is simply Eddie at his apex. It's the quintessential "guitar nerd" album. I'm a guitar player myself and I've always looked at the first four VH records as some sort of holy grail. If I had to pick a favorite I'd probably lean towards VHII (which came out in the 70s) simply because I feel that they struck a good balance between the instrumental virtuosity and great, timeless songs. I always dug that. But I always say that the first four albums are some of the most groundbreaking rock n roll perhaps since Zeppelin.

Yeah, End of Innocence, great record. I think I like it better than any Eagles album.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 16256

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
The Grind wrote:
How about greatest albums???...

Van Halen - Fair Warning (1984 would be the logical choice, but this has always been my personal fave)


I've never not heard anyone cite Fair Warning or VH1 as their two favorite VH albums, it's weird. Same with me as well. The live performance videos from 81 Oakland (Hear About It Later, Unchained, So This Is Love) were amazing, that's probably why. That was them at their peak, imo. I believe they had already begun to wane and lose focus in 82 and Dave started getting into stupid offshoots (Diver Down was a hurried album to fit around the Pretty Woman single after it became a hit). Otoh, the albums in 80 and 81 especially did NOT cater to that "widest cross section" of music fans that they're credited for having. The stuff on Women & Children First is very esoteric, radio unfriendly, and mostly hard edged.

Good call on End Of Innocence. I actually own that, I'm gonna include Don in my post above.


That's a good point. I think VH have always been a "musician's band", and Fair Warning is simply Eddie at his apex. It's the quintessential "guitar nerd" album. I'm a guitar player myself and I've always looked at the first four VH records as some sort of holy grail. If I had to pick a favorite I'd probably lean towards VHII (which came out in the 70s) simply because I feel that they struck a good balance between the instrumental virtuosity and great, timeless songs. I always dug that. But I always say that the first four albums are some of the most groundbreaking rock n roll perhaps since Zeppelin.

Yeah, End of Innocence, great record. I think I like it better than any Eagles album.


Something else you said to "jump" off of is that it seems like guitar players or musicians who liked them had same first 4 cutoff even if they continued to like them in general, the Hagar years etc. A VH song is usually pretty good no matter what, but the first 4 albums were the youthful prime, which you never get back to, ask Bron. Heard that sentiment from Kerry King of Slayer and Tom Morello in so many words. They'll say "early VH", that's what it essentially means as you already know. The Pantera guys liked them a lot, I can recall Mellancamp talking about them in different interviews although he was from Bloomington IN as was Roth (they might've known each other as kids). The Weezer guys (their logo is an homage). Jerry Cantrell of Alice In Chains was a fan, singer of the Seattle alt The Melvyns said he had both VH1 and Bollocks at the same time, etc. Henry Rollins (formerly Black Flag) is an admitted VH nut. Weezer to Pantera and Slayer. You can't get a bigger net than that. It may not be what you and I like most, but I think VH's particular genius was that with their musicianship, which critics usually granted them if nothing else, they were able to pull off pop type songs, which were generally well-done. That's probably harder for a quote "heavy metal band", to pull off than Unchained. Jump is a great pop song, it's just the "pop song" part that's the problem for most fans, but I don't begrudge em for branching out a bit. The videos from 1984 were unquestionably classics. Prime MTV. The Hot For Teacher vid is their greatest imo. One of the few videos that I firmly have above all else is the video to Every Breath You Take, which looks as good today as it did then, completely undated. Probably Thriller, too, though that's more like an 8 min movie to me being that it was directed by Landis. Maybe Sledgehammer. Yeah, they were funny, but the a-ha vid was good (Take On Me).
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL

"My reaction to everything you post is basically 'Amen'." -VegasLakerFan
"Glad to play a small role in the growing legend of NPZ." -DancingBarry
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 6429

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
This is a hard one, I feel like I gotta separate the pop from the rock and R/B, etc. The pop and synthpop that most people associate with the decade and it's polarizing -- it's either ADORED or cited as fluff. I have an appetite for all kinds of music at different times, so I try to temper my music snobbiness more successfully than I do with my movie snobbiness.

I'll start on the contemp rock side:

Clash - London Calling (1980 rite?), Rock The Casbah
Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World & Head Over Heals
Pretenders - Back On The Chain Gang
Billy J - For The Longest Time (I like Only Human too, good video)
Police - Message In A Bottle, Wrapped Around Your Finger, De Doo Doo Doo, etc.
Foreigner - Waiting For A Gurl Like You, Urgent
Billy Squier - In The Dark
Stray Cats - I Won't Stand In Your Way (that was their only song of worth imo)
Bruce - Hungry Heart
Mellencamp - Crumbling Down, Pink Houses
Greg Kihn - Breakup Song
Billy Idol - Rebel Yell (that song is intensely evocative of 84 to me for some reason), Eyes Sans Face
Henley - Boys Of Summer, All She Wants To Do Is Dance, Dirty Laundry
The Cars - Since Your Gone, I'm Not The One (80s pickins are slimmer than their late 70s stuff)
Petty - Refugee, Runnin Down A Dream (same deal, late 70s stuff is his best), though liked his collabos Stop Draggin My Heart Around and Handle With Care
U2 - I Will Follow, New Years Day
Scorps - Still Lovin You

Pop:
Boingo - Better Luck Next Time
Human League - Mirror Man
Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me (that might be the quintessential 80s pop song because of its tie TBC)
Kim Wilde - Kids In Amurica (she was beautiful)
Prince - his best songs musically and lyrically from that decade are - Let's Go Crazy, When Doves Cry, LRC, and The Beautiful Ones. I like most of his stuff from The Revo era.
Thought Jackson was entertaining, but wouldn't call myself a fan, but Beat It was his best imo. Dirty Diana is my pick from Bad.
Phil Collins - all of Pat Bateman's faves (no Huey, sorry)

Hard rock:
Van Halen fan primarily. Liked Ozzy, but mostly from Sabbath. I lean much more heavily towards 60s/70s "classic rock". Zep, Beatles, etc. Fave GNR song is Civil War.

Rap: I was a RUN DMC, Beasties fan back then. Run's House is their undisputed best imo. A little LL. Nothing non-mainstream at that early stage.

Back later for adds. Nowhere near complete.



Best Prince songs of the 80's

Uptown
When you were mine
Do me baby
Ronnie talk to Russia
DMSR
Let's pretend we're married
All the critics love you in NY
Let's go Crazy
Computer Blue
Darling Nikki
When Doves Cry
Baby I'm a star
Rasberry Beret
Pop Life
I wonder U
Under the Cherry Moon
Girls and Boys
Kiss
Anotherloverholeinyohead

Just take the entire Album of "Sign O' the times" and throw it in there. And then do the same to "Lovesexy" and "Batman" sound track.

Prince in the 80's was no (bleep) joke yo!
_________________
It took many years of vomiting up all the filth Id been taught about myself, and half-believed, before I was able to walk on the earth as though I had a right to be here.
― James Baldwin, Collected Essays
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 16256

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:


Best Prince songs of the 80's

Uptown
When you were mine
Do me baby
Ronnie talk to Russia
DMSR
Let's pretend we're married
All the critics love you in NY
Let's go Crazy
Computer Blue
Darling Nikki
When Doves Cry
Baby I'm a star
Rasberry Beret
Pop Life
I wonder U
Under the Cherry Moon
Girls and Boys
Kiss
Anotherloverholeinyohead

Just take the entire Album of "Sign O' the times" and throw it in there. And then do the same to "Lovesexy" and "Batman" sound track.

Prince in the 80's was no (bleep) joke yo!


You don't got Beautiful Ones in there, KB? I thought Baby I'm A Star was a filler song on Purp Rain. Like Computer Blue though, that made it into the movie. Purple Rain was a good album from top to bottom. The bulk of the tracks had sellable hooks, most albums from the spectrum covering pop and rock had maybe 3 at most. Take Me With U was one of those, for example. Not his greatest work, maybe, but still catchy. Haha at Batdance. I remember that being on radio/MTV a lot that Summer, especially with the furor over that movie. The line for that damn thing stretched around the building and they were handing out sno cones. Nothing Compares 2 U was a good lyrical song, made Sinead a known bald head overnight. Then she ruined it all by tearing up the Padre.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL

"My reaction to everything you post is basically 'Amen'." -VegasLakerFan
"Glad to play a small role in the growing legend of NPZ." -DancingBarry
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB